giving my body to science

After the emotional turbulence of the first 24 hours after the ruptured Achilles and “Why me?” and “Why again?” questions, I’m mulled, consulted, and prayed through the decision of a) having surgery to re-attach my Achilles tendon or b) opting for “natural” healing and letting the body do it’s thing while my Achilles and Calf is immobilized for about 3 months.

At this point, I’ve chosen to opt for Option B: Natural Healing or “Non-Operative”/Conservative method. Initially, I preferred to go the route of surgery since that’s what I did with my left achilles and thus far, it’s worked out pretty well.  But after going to the specialist for a consultation (he said either is ok as long as you understand the pros and cons), scouring through the stories of others on Achilles Recovery blog, and factoring in the costs of surgery (even with insurance!), Natural sounded like the best option for me now. I was surprised at the small but growing number of folks opting for Natural healing and reporting successful recovies.

Addionally, I thought I’d give my body to the study of sciences and compare my left Achilles (surgery) and right Achilles (natural). The complications for surgery are there (mostly skin grafting issues) and there’s  a higher re-rupture rate for natural healing (about 10% more), but at the age of 39 (in couple months), I don’t know how competitive I intend to be in the future. If anyone goes through this horrible injury, you can look at my Achilles and judge for yourself.  I proudly give my body to the advancement of sciences.

So, I’ll be in an AirCAST for about 3 months before I can be in “Two Shoes” and tread carefully for a full year. Immobile for the first 6 weeks. I’ll keep driving to a minimum and while it’s difficult to ask for help, I need to ask for help:

• I’ll be contacting couple of the guys for rides.
  • Couple folks are helping put together a meal plan for couple deliveries/week. If you’re interested in prepping a meal, you’re welcome to email katey@seattlequest.org
  • Your prayers are much appreciated: For a smooth and quick healing; For my commitment to let the body heal; For my family during this time of transition; For my ministry at Quest and development of One Day’s Wages. And I am not afraid to pray and ask of others to join me in prayer for a MIRACULOUS healing of the Achilles through the power of the Holy Spirit.

Honestly, sports have been such a huge part of my life in the past that it’s hard to let competitive sports go. While I was struggling with extreme shyness in middle school, it was sports that served as my best friend. I made my “mark” by breaking the school’s decathalon record.

In high school, I “lettered” 9x and made it the state championships in track & cross country, made it to the national championships in fencing, and played basketball and club volleyball.  I was known as the short guy with the 39 inch vertical.  All I did in college was play volleyball and ultimate…while getting my degree.

But as my father scolded me over the phone couple days ago after hearing of my injury:

You’re not a kid. You’re turning 40 soon. Grow up.

Ouch.

My injury is another reminder that my body just isn’t what it used to be…which is why I should be more vigilant about taking good care of it. I was playing hoops with my kids several months ago and while I was still able to shoot the ball, I just couldn’t cut, dribble, or jump.

So, what does this mean?

Goodbye to competitive sports of slashing, jumping, and dribbling…and hello to the 40s version of Eugene: jumpshots, good passes, and using my fat ass to back people into the paint. And oh, I need to get one of those old school Kurt Rambis sports goggles.  :D

Filed under: , , , ,

1. raymundmitchell says:

I was half expecting you to “boof” it Darryl Dawkins style, smashing the backboard. http://bit.ly/NWxoT Here’s to a speedy recovery.

2. Jim Chen says:

Hey P.E,

Didn’t know you played v-ball. Did you swing leftside or set?

3. Frank Kim says:

I heard from my friend K.J. you’re really good at volleyball. And I can see you’re quite good at basketball.

4. Lori says:

So sorry to hear about the injury! If you need help organizing the meal sign-up, there is a free website: mealbaby.com where people can check out available dates, see what meals others are bringing, etc. That way you don’t end up with lasagna 4 nights in a row🙂

May you recover quickly!

5. John H. Kim says:

I pray for a supernatural healing over you in Jesus’ name. I declare the power of the blood of Jesus over you and pray for a speedy recovery. May God be magnified and glorified through your decision of a “natural” healing. Bless you bro!

6. your friend says:

I have learned so much through my weakness of body. Painful, but real.

Also, I gained the ability to deeply empathize with others in pain (physical and emotional), so here I am, praying for you, dear friend.

I am sure the Lord will USE this painful experience so that HE WILL SHOW OFF BIG.

7. […] own son…my Padawan…while I’m down and injured.  Should I ground him for […]

8. […] As some of you know, I ruptured my left Achilles several years ago and had surgery and it has healed very well. After some prayer and discussion, I chose to go the path of natural healing with my right Achilles.  I would have preferred surgery but even with insurance, the bill would have been about $3k and well, tis the season to be frugal. Several friends offered to help but Minhee and I prayed and felt at peace. Plus, I wanted my body to be a gift to the sciences. […]