blog open mic

Welcome everyone. It’s time for the quarterly blog open mic and a chance to express yourself.

Yo Yo. Microphone Check. One Two.

What is a blog open mic? It’s simply a digital version of an OPEN MIC. In the comments section on this post, you can share [almost] anything…

What are some possibilities for the open mic?

• a news story
  • your cause or another cause you want to call attention to
  • your blog
  • random thoughts
  • scripture that has spoken to you recently
  • world changing ideas
  • your music or plug your bands
  • your confessions
  • rants against me or rage against the machine
  • inspiring stories
  • the answers to life
  • your hip hop flow
  • your art, your poetry, prose or haiku
  • interesting links
  • ads for a boyfriend or girlfriend
  • promote an event
  • share your faith, fears, insecurities, and hopes

You can share whatever as long as it’s not hateful, vitriolic, etc.

So, here is your chance to express yourself. Take a minute and “open mic.”

Filed under:

1. queermergent says:

1. i recently completed my dive certification and we are heading down to Key Largo, FLA for my 1st ever diving in the ocean! i am so stoked that i had insomnia and have been up all night and we leave to drive down in a few hours. OY VEY!

2. PLEASE CALL YOUR SENATORS and ask then to vote for the Lyme Disease Legislation Sen. Dodd has introduced. THANKS and all the Lyme Disease sufferers, including myself, appreciate it!

Thanks so much, Eugene!

Warmest Regards,
    EP

2. 206up says:

Hi Eugene (and Eugene’s loyal readers)!

I have a blog. It’s my take on the local hip-hop movement that is currently blowing up in Seattle.

Check it out at http://www.206up.wordpress.com. Please read and tell your friends!

– 206-UP!

3. Hey, this is Elena Stevenson, a music teacher/freelance writer/aspiring screenwriter/mom/wife of a Korean adoptee. I’m gobbling down some carrots and leftover sloppy joe before my waitressing shift.

A few years ago, I was a full-time children’s minister. It was a great experience, but I decided full-time ministry was not for me. After working for three years to make a living as a freelance writer, I decided to go back into public school music teaching, my first career. No job yet….we are struggling. Part of the struggle is finding joy in each day amid so much uncertainty.

I love Eugene’s blog! I don’t blog much, but my addy is http://bigworldsmall.wordpress.com.

Looking forward to hearing more from you all.

4. Tim Dahl says:

Eugene,

Wanted to say that we are praying for you. Your family’s courage, to step out on faith, humbles me (and my lack of courage). Please, keep writing. I find that God inspires me through it.

Tim

5. Bryna says:

I love the concept of the “open mic.” As PR director for a non-profit organization fighting global poverty from a grassroots level (my community), I’ve realized no one can work in isolation when the cause is so big.

I’ve been fortunate enough to have included Eugene and One Day’s Wages in this forum: http://streamsofhope.blogspot.com Please take a moment to look at it.

Being connected to others is opening up our world in ways that even 5-10 years ago we could have never verbalized. I love that our language and thought processes have evolved to incorporate a worldview that’s way bigger than ourselves. For more on my opinions on this and other topics, I also blog at http://www.brynajones.tumblr.com.

Thanks to all who read this! Bless you big, Eugene for your amazing open mic idea, and your heart for others.

@brynajones

6. Sam Mahlstadt says:

Our church launch team (onechurchsite.com) is getting ready to launch a community event to raise awareness and money to help end human trafficking. We will be launching a website to serve as the hub of information soon – stopslaveryhere.com – please help us spread the word. Slavery is more prevalent now than ever in history and we must stand up for justice. Updates will also be on Twitter @stopithere

7. Eugene,

Thanks for providing the space for others to share through the “Blog Open Mic”! You’re an incredible example of openness and collaboration in the Christian community and the non-profit world.

We at Lemonade International are very excited about your work with One Day’s Wages. If there is anything we can do to help in any way… we would love to. We are learning much from you already along the way.

Here’s where you can learn more about our work in the urban slums of Guatemala City:

Website: http://lemonadeinternational.org/
    Blog: http://lemonadeinternational.org/

Thanks,

Bill

8. Steve Patton says:

For some hip hop, check out a FRESH kinetic text video to my song “Masses”

A thought I’m having right now – we have to stop thinking in the simplistic terms of “leader/follower” if we hope to embrace other spiritual gifts.

The answer to life is 17.

And I want to give a shout out to pookie, Ray Ray and Big Dice. Keep your head up homies, ya’ll will be out soon.

9. Stephanie says:

I am a board member for a non-profit called Visible Grace and we’re putting on a Benefit Concert in a few weeks… Aug. 14. Down in Portland, but Burlap to Cashmere will be playing.

For tickets and more information:

Visible Grace is working to start a children’s home and school outside of Nairobi. We just bought ten acres of land and are working on fundraising to build classrooms.

Thanks!

10. Jim Black says:

Revolution of the Heart
    Written by Jim Black © 2006 lauriejomusic

Jesus was a plain man, wasn’t much to look at
    Says so right here in the Book
    He could’ve walked on water everyday just to catch some fish for dinner
    But he usually took a boat, and no one took a second look

He spoke with a funny accent like Jethro or Jed Clampett, They made fun of folks from his part of the land, But when he did speak people listened, even though most times he told stories
    That they couldn’t figure out, they couldn’t understand

CHORUS: (NO WORDS)

Then he started doing curious things like turning water into wine so the party at the wedding would not end, Now if I was Him I wouldn’t have started out as a bartender
    I would’ve sent out press releases, I would’ve talked to CNN ,
    (or Fox…CNN rhymed better…)

Then He made friends with some fishermen, prostitutes and lepers, mostly people who don’t matter in this life, And in the presence of those who didn’t approve of his associations
    He always spoke the truth, And his words cut like a knife

CHORUS

Then he started doing amazing things like raising people from the dead and healing every kind of disease, And the crowds followed his every move, like paparazzi or reporters
    They treated him like he was some kind of celebrity

And the crowds gathered around him to hear what he would tell them,
    They leaned forward for the words he had to say
    He said “If you want to follow, drink my blood and eat my body”
    They said. “Well that’s just crazy”
    And most of them walked away

CHORUS

Then the teachers of religion and all their political cronies
    They called a meeting to make a plan
    They said “This man from Nazareth,
    he’s threatening our power and position
    There’s got to be a way To get rid of this man

But what they didn’t realize was they were part of a bigger plan
    That they didn’t come up with at all
    ‘Cause Jesus made it clear that he was laying his own life down
    For those who have ears to hear
    And faith to answer when he calls

CHORUS

Jesus came to live the life of a revolutionary,
    He’s calling each of us to do our part
    It’s not about politics, money, power or position
    He’s calling us to a Revolution of the Heart

So listen to his words, not just what others say about him,
    If you do he will not lead you astray
    And the Good News is that he is still right here among us
    And he will speak to you…if you’ll seek him honestly…

This isn’t the whole Story, you’ll have to look that one up yourself,
    ‘cause His Story is continuing today
    Some people say he’s dead, and none of this really makes a difference
    But the Revolution started when he rolled the stone away.…

CHORUS

11. Mark Kaech says:

Gathering this August 7-9, 2009 in St. Davids, PA, USA will be a community deeply committed and rooted in God’s call to end physical and spiritual poverty. You will not find a crowd that needs to be motivated to serve the poor, nor one that needs to be informed of the dualism that robbed evangelicals of a robust theology of poverty. What you will find are pioneers on the front line of Christian development and holistic missions: academics, practitioners, church leaders, next generation, and bridge-builders who stand between different worlds.

The vision and purpose of this gathering is both contemporary and courageous:
    * To reshape, realign and reform our ways of development and holistic mission towards transformation in and through Christ.
    * To further develop a rigorous school of thought and praxis of Transformational Development.

August 7-9, 2009
    ~Transformational Development Conference~
    Co-sponsored by:
    Food for the Hungry & Eastern University
    St. Davids, PA, USA
    on Eastern University’s campus

TDconference@fh.org
    480.609.7725

12. Ani says:

Here, you can find a lot of stuff on Christianity from a female perspective. And just other writings about all kinds of stuff🙂.

13. Hi everyone! If you have a hunger for traveling and a passion to seek justice. Check out this website and what it looks like to travel the country spreading awareness about one of the worst humanitarian crisis in the world today. http://www.linkglobal.org/jobs
    also check out this short clip that shows the background to the North Korea crisis:

14. Mark Kaech says:

::Transformational Development Conference::
    August 7-9, 2009
    Co-sponsored by:
    Food for the Hungry & Eastern University
    St. Davids, PA, USA
    ~on Eastern University’s campus

The vision and purpose of this gathering is both contemporary and courageous:

for more info-
    TDconference@fh.org
    480.609.7725

15. lauren e says:

Hi everyone! I’m a hairdresser with a passion for Cambodia. Recently I co-founded (along with my boss and owner of the salon I work at) the Justice and Soul Project. I made my first trip to Cambodia this past May. Our goal is to create a sustainable hairdressing program for women reintegrating back into society after a life of forced prostitution. Please visit my husband’s blog to check out the articles I have written thus far about my trip.

16. markkaech says:

::Transformational Development Conference::
    August 7-9, 2009
    Co-sponsored by:
    Food for the Hungry & Eastern University
    St. Davids, PA, USA
    on Eastern University’s campus

The vision and purpose of this gathering is both contemporary and courageous:

for more info-
    TDconference@fh.org
    480.609.7725

17. eliseanne says:

A must see 20 mn online video that opened my eyes to the consumerism and disposable/trash culture in the US, how it was intentional, and how it is destroying our earth and our people.

Peace.

18. Jan Owen says:

I’m in the midst of navigating a fresh call on my life. I’ve been a worship pastor for 15 years and feel called to train indigenous worship leaders in developing countries. Doors are cracking open, and I have a couple of trips planned. I call it the GiveWorship Project because I believe that when worshipers in resourced churches start having a passion for worship around the globe, they can give of their resources and help equip leaders the world over. Looking forward to what God has in store!

19. Laura says:

We’re in the process of starting a group to raise funds for Rwanda and Swaziland. Looking for water sanitation projects already established on the ground, as well as scholarship programs and HIV/AIDS education programs to support in Rwanda and Swaziland. Email if you know any contacts. Thanks!

20. Rachel says:

I blog about attachment parenting, balance work and children, cloth diapering and lots of other stuff.

21. Greetings from the South!
    Some time ago, I was thinking about ways for Christians interested in the dialog about the future of the church to engage in conversation, taking their cultural contexts into consideration. The result is Globemerging. Check it out:

I’m still missing voices from the North. If anyone would kindly consider engaging in this dialog, please let us know!

cheers,
    Gustavo K-fé Frederico

22. I am getting ready to travel to Russia and work in the sports camp for orphans, street kids and others. Will work together with the Swedish Covenant Church folks.

Please pray for the success of this ministry.

Blessings to all!

23. The Chiz says:

Hi Readers!
    Check out the new live release from Seattle arts/worship collective Urban Hymnal. Incredible, breathtaking expression of a liturgical meditation on hopelessness and hope. http://www.urbanhymnal.org/uh4/audio.html
    Thanks!

24. Lon says:

love the open mic concept online…

i blog at http://solarcrash.com

and help throw parties for good in the city of toronto http://respaces.org

and i’m looking for web developers for a phenomenal stealth project.

working on a sermon at the moment on the absurdity of sermons…

25. cali says:

is it bad to wish harm upon some one like kim jung il?

26. Silvia Kim says:

Green Curb of Faux Security

A word spoken…

Oscar Grant. Murdered by a Bart Police Officer on New Years Day.
    One of the most tragic events that went down while living in Oakland.
    Choppers still circling around our neighborhood since 5 pm.
    It’s 10:30 pm.
    Protesters and angry people smashing windows and lighting trash cans and dumpsters on fire.
    This is how angry the people are.
    People chanting, “We are Oscar Grant” lying in the middle of the intersection just the way Oscar had layed face down right before the cold iron pumped into his lung.
    How did this happen? How did the officer mistake his gun for a tazer?

I went to the Fruitvale Bart Station at 4:20 pm to pay my respects and to stand in solidarity for all the innocent victims killed and abused by the police.
    I stood watching seeing familiar faces of activists worn out by the endless amount of injustice that pours into the city of Oakland.
    Young students of color holding banners of their artistic cry to stop police brutality:
    “PIGS WILL PAY! PIGS WILL PAY!”
    The old gather hugging each other to hold on to the last comfort they can afford as they’ve witnessed and experienced a hundred injustices in their lives.
    “Hello my brother. How are you doing?”
    I wish I could’ve stayed longer. But my fear of getting ticketed after being parked for more than 12 minutes on the green curb pulled me away from a crowd that stood in confusion and disbelief.
    As I hear the last words of a woman speaker about the reality of there being more black men in prisons than there are in college, I break away and walk toward my car.
    “Is there a ticket on my window? Oh God, thank God there isn’t… Wait, should I feel guilty for moving on so quickly?”

I drive.
    I presume my grocery shopping, scavenging for the best deals. I come home

“What in the world?”
    Five helicopters perched above and near my neighborhood.
    Blue and red flashing beyond a distance.
    I rush upstairs passing neighbors who are looking up and just as confused.
    I turn on the t.v.
    “We are witnessing a group of protesters marching down the Oakland streets from the Fruitvale Bart station…”
    “Damn! I should’ve stayed!”
    Five minutes later, live on screen I watch as protesters start furiously shaking the parked police car. A dumpster rolls near with a huge fire inside.
    “Maybe it was a safe idea to come home.”
    Cops bust out all their reinforcement to shield themselves from the truth about institutional injustices that started this mess. This mess that began long before Oscar Grant was murdered.

I saw glued to the tv and hating myself for being safe.
    Safe from the physical danger of being beat with a baton by police officers or being intoxicated by the tear gases that was shot at the people who are advocating for truth and justice.

Did my green curb really save me from danger though?
    I can’t help but wonder what will come of me if I continue to choose a safe path only to protect myself like the police officers who sustain institutions like the prison industrial complex.

(dedicated to all people of color who still suffer from unjust “correctional” systems in America)

27. Jeremiah says:

It’s great to see so many people sharing their hearts and passions.

Here is a personal blog I recently got up and running:

Here is a temporary website for a non-profit I am a part of:

We are leaving a month to do some work in Thailand. We are always on the lookout for more opportunities to serve both internationally and locally (Denver). So if any of you know of any needs or opportunities, please let us know.

28. Kacie says:

Eugene, I was looking at a friend’s facebook photos today and up popped a picture of YOU! It was a picture of Qwest yesterday as she and the group of missionary kids that she is leading visited the church.

I messaged her about it, laughing that I felt like I’d just made a connection between two friends of mine, when in reality I don’t even know you, I just feel like I do after following your blog for a couple of years. She (Kindra), says you’re speaking to the kids tomorrow? That’s awesome – I will pray for that to be a great time for both you and them. Thanks for being willing to invest them! Returning from overseas was the hardest and loneliest thing I’ve ever done, so you are speaking to them in a crucial time.

29. Eugene Cho says:

@kacie: very cool. there was a group that visited the church yesterday and i am looking forward to spending some time w/ them tomorrow.

30. jolene says:

Hi Pastor Eugene – I thought you might like this article, if you hadn’t seen it already, written by Jimmy Carter.

31. Eugene Cho says:

@jolene: i read the piece couple days ago and was pretty blown away. wrote an entry on it in hopes of getting some good conversation:

32. DK says:

Awesome idea, Eugene!

Please check out http://www.justicenow.tv for updates on a worship and justice movement. We gather together for a Night of Worship (NOW) while using the platform to highlight the need to act on behalf of the needs all around us. Justice and Worship go hand in hand! Some cool things are percolating with this and great partnerships are forming.

thanks!
    dk (http://www.dkmusic.tv)

33. This is great information. I’m starting to get story ideas zooming in my head.