“win over” or “love on” for jesus?

I’m currently rockin’ in Knoxville, Tennessee. I have the privilege of being one of the morning teachers of an event called CHIC2009 – a gathering of 5200+ high schoolers from all around the country. I’m simply teaching one message but 8x to 600+ students at a time (twice/day).  I’d really appreciate your prayers.

I was asked to speak on the topic of  ‘my relationship with others.’

Simple enough but it’s clearly one of those things that seem much easier said than done.  My sermon – through various points – seeks to explain this:

…more and more Christians are falling in love with the idea of loving and serving our neighbors…than actually loving and serving our neighbors.

And one of the most important ways we love and serve our neighbors is if we build relationships with people.

And this is where I get a lot of push back from people. By building relationships with people, we need to let go of the agenda of “evangelism” and “let’s convert this person to Jesus Christ.”   When people wonder why people get scared and weary of christians, it’s because we seek other people as targets, projects, and people to “win over” or “love on” for Jesus.  Just be a good a neighbor and that in itself is Jesus honoring.  Build relationships. Learn the stories of others. Share your story.  Be a good listener.  Be intentional about being in relationships with people that don’t look/feel/act/think like you.

I understand the whole motivation behind “win over” and “love on” for Jesus but I don’t want any of that if you’re not actually interested in knowing my story, sharing your story, and growing a relationship.

Just reflect on the life of Jesus and he modeled those very things…

What do you think?

Of course, sharing the gospel is important. Live it out, be a good neighbor, be a good “lover”, care for others, and when opportunities arise and asked, never be ashamed in articulating the good news personified in the life, death, and resurrection of Christ…

And by the way, I got a chance to play teenager last night and rocked to the David Crowder band. They made my list of favorite bands. Check out this this short clip featuring one of my favorite songs, O Praise Him, but also soak in the crowd of 5200+ kids worshipping God.

Filed under: bible, christianity, church, emerging church,

1. randy says:

Thanks for your chat yesterday. I was one of the counselors and really enjoyed it and know that it convicted many of my students.

2. raymundmitchell says:

I’m praying for your stamina. You’re going to need it.

I remember growing up in Catholic school singing a song with the refrain, “They will know we are Christians by our love, by our love”. This has stuck with me for over thirty years because of its simple message. Not by trumpeting our Christianity, or overt proselytizing will they know, but through our love. The day to day love, not the “let-me-hug-your-neck-in-the-spirit-in-a-creepy-uncomfortable-way” kind of love. The kind of love that makes you talk to the homeless sign-guy with respect and think that he could use a bottle of water after standing in the sun all day. Or just being polite even thought you know that the cashier at convenience store is going to be cranky.

3. Having grown up in a church that emphasized “winning souls for Christ” I’m with you, Eugene, on the need to love PEOPLE. I so agree: let’s not love ON them, let’s love THEM. The image that the expression “love on” gives me is too nasty for words, and doesn’t capture what Jesus does. He doesn’t just whitewash us with His love! His love goes so deep, and is so powerful, that it penetrates to the core–cleansing, changing, drawing us closer to Him and to each other.

What would happen if we allowed Him to use us to love like that?

Thanks for giving our kids a different metaphysical model for discipleship. Nominalists can only deal in numbers, but Realists are able to relate to entire persons. Praying for you, for the all the leaders and the kids at CHIC!

Blessings in Christ,

Beth

4. Oh, one more thing. Images can sometimes communicate more profoundly than words, so here’s what I think “loving on” looks like: : )

5. Pam says:

Wow, PE! Preachin’ at CHIC, you are not a serious Covy 🙂

6. joshuadf says:

Eugene, have you read _Walking with the Poor_ by Bryant Myers? He has a lot to say on this problem of seeing persons as “targets”.

7. Eugene Cho says:

@pam: i hope that was a typo because i’m trying really hard to honor by ECC relationships.

@joshuadf: no, but it sounds good. i’ll have to search it out.

8. Ric Wild says:

I know several students at CHIC this week including one of the main stage producers. His name is Jim Condap. I’m to the point where I can name drop in the Covenant now 🙂

9. Daniel Imburgia says:

Pastor Cho I appreciate your insights about building and living-out loving relationships with people. I am wondering if much of the evangelistic language you question (i.e. ‘targeting, winning, etc.) doesn’t reflect a misplaced application of ‘business or marketing models’ to human relationships and evangelization; one that often categorizes people as commodities that need to be ‘re-branded’ for Christ. That model also places the evangelizer in a position of privilege and power over the sinner or ‘un-saved,’ rather than that of a brother or sister sharing in the journey towards discovering God’s love for us. Just before I checked out your post i read an essay by Herbert McCabe that said:

“Never be deluded into thinking that if you have contrition, if you are sorry for your sins, God will come and forgive you – that he will be touched by your appeal, change his mind about you and forgive you. Not a bit of it. God never changes his mind about you. He is simply in love with you. What he does again and again is change your mind about him. That is why you are sorry. That is what forgiveness is. You are not forgiven because you confess your sin… You don’t come to confession in order to have your sins forgiven. You come to celebrate that your sins are forgiven…because your blindfold and your blindness have gone, and you can see the love God has for you.” Perhaps it could be useful to think of ‘evangelization’ as helping each other to lift our blindfolds. Thanks for your great post, obliged, daniel

10. Pam says:

@PE: yes, I’m sorry that was a SERIOUS typo. I meant to say “now” you are a serious Covy 🙂

11. robin says:

Thank you so much for the message at CHIC. I was a counselor with 45 others from out group. Your message was very timely and very well received by our kids. We truly don’t know who is “in the box”.

12. I totally agree, Eugene. If we scare people away they will never get to see the real point of Christianity; love. I’m taking it out of context but I love the quote “Love is the only shocking act left on the planet.” Relationship and love are becoming so scarce that people can’t help but see Jesus in you if you dare to really care about them.

13. Robert says:

Agreed. But people need to know where the love comes from. The truth without love is too hard, Love without the truth is too soft. They may not need to be told they are lost—somewhere deep inside, they already know that. But they need to know there is a way back to God and His name is Jesus. And loving on them without telling them about Jesus is a lot like feeding the hungry without teaching them how to grow more food.

"He must become greater; I must become less." - John 3:30 We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on.