big fan of this naked man

lancearmstrong

Isn’t this an incredible picture?

The photo was taken in 1999 by Annie Leibovitz and I thought it be fitting to share in light of Lance Armstrong’s jump into 3rd place in the Tour de France – taking place right now.

I’ve always been a big fan of Lance Armstrong.  And became a bigger fan – like many others – after his triumph of testicular cancer.  He was diagnosed in 1996 and later went on to win the Tour de France for seven consecutive years.

As most cycling, sports, or Lance fans may know, he’s back in racing again and currently racing in the Tour de France.

While I’m a fan, I also have those questions about doping and drug usage. I don’t really get it since it’s apparent that every cyclist uses something. But I digress. I’m just a big fan of sports but have never been able to see my Top 5 Sports Events before I die.  Here’s my Top 5:

1.  Attend an Olympics. Summer or Winter but preferably Summer. Can’t pay for Opening or Closing but would love to go see a few competitions not named Curling.
2. World Cup Soccer.  South Africa 2o1o would be nice. Korea versus Brazil. Or how about a USA vs Brazil rematch. Snap.
3. Tour de France. I’m not a cyclist and haven’t sat on a bike in couple years but I must see one.
4. Super Bowl. So much hype but it would definitely be an experience – not just to see the event but so I can also miss church and not feel guilty.  Seattle Seahawks vs. Pittsburg Steelers rematch would be nice since they stole that one from us couple years ago.
5. Game 7 of a World Series or NBA Championships.

Anyone done anything on my list?
What’s on your list?

I don’t get it but many of my friends from the South say that once you go to a Nascar event, it’ll change your life. I’d like to find out.

And while I was following it via the web, Federer vs. Roddick compels me to bump the Wimbledon into the Top 5.

Share/Save/Bookmark

Filed under: sports, , , , , ,

1. VoteTheDay says:

Contador or Armstrong? Now it is up to you to decide which one of them will win this year – http://www.votetheday.com/tour-de-france/tour-de-france-winner-425/

2. David says:

not a bad looking farmer’s tan.

3. amandaginn says:

Wish List:
    -Wimbledon, or any match, with Rafa v. Federer.
    -Phelps at the Olympics.
    -Tiger on the final 18th hole of any tournament.
    -Kentucky Derby (better yet, the Belmont if there’s a Triple Crown opportunity).
    -Opening Day 2010, at the Twins Target Stadium.

4. your friend says:

In 1988 I went to the Olympics for physically challenged athletes.

I was the only foreign looking person to cheer. Later, an athlete came to ME and asked for my autograph. I was in tears.

I felt honored to watch him compete, but he felt honored that I had come, the foreigner. Strange world. God loves us equally.

5. Jan Owen says:

I went to the Atlanta Olympics in 96 but couldn’t afford – or get – many tickets to anything. It was still an experience we’ll always remember.

My all time sports fantasies that are on my “life list”:

#1 – Go to an Alabama vs. Auburn Game in Tuscaloosa and of course, my preference would be for Alabama to win! I’ve been to hundreds of Bama games, but never the Iron Bowl. I’ve never been able to get or afford tickets.

#2 – Go to see Alabama in a National Championship game – with my boys and my mom along. That would be incredible.

Can you see a trend?🙂

6. Isn’t the Winter Olympics just up the coast from you next Winter? I guess you could drop by on it for a couple of days, just to tick it off the list. And don’t diss curling just because the USA can’t win it!

7. Erick says:

Love the pic, love the rider. He is equally impressive this year and seems to pick up where he left off. I had a convo about the doping last night actually…I love cycling and the excitement of the Tour de France, but get equally discouraged when the athletes use illegal substances. It is rampant in cycling and now Jan Ulrich (Lance’s old nemesis is being questioned)…

hmmmm top five:

1. Tour de France
    2. NCAA basketball championship
    3. Any Minnesota team in the finals…it will come.
    4. Superbowl
    5. A National Cricket game

8. Mike says:

1. Gotta get to a game in the Stanley Cup Finals. Any two teams, although my favorite team would make it perfect: San Jose Sharks.
    2. Super Bowl.
    3. Any knockout game in the World Cup.
    4. Any Sweet Sixteen game.
    5. Summer Olympics, Track, 100 Meters Final: Men *and* Women. (That’d be expensive…but whoa…)

9. jay coleman says:

It is unfortunate that you assume every pro cyclist is doping. No doubt cycling has only itself to blame, but it is not the only sport affected by drug use (even non athletes take drugs to win – i.e. baseball). Lance has never failed a drug test (per the French there have been many), so maybe he should be considered innocent until proven guilty.

TdF 2009 will be exciting b/c of Lance and his presence upsets the French so hopefully he will be back next year.

10. Eugene Cho says:

@graham: yeah, hoping to head up north next winter. that would be so cool.

11. Rachel says:

I seem to be the only person besides Mayor Daley that’s excited about the prospect that the Olympics might come to Chicago. I might even watch curling.

12. chad m says:

1. Duke v North Carolina at either site
    2. Chicago Cubs in the World Series. it will happen!
    3. Nebraska Cornhuskers winning the national title game [went to Rose Bowl in 2001 and watched them get worked]
    4. Super Bowl
    5. World Cup…anywhere, anytime!

13. Nicole says:

I was in Berlin for the World Cup and apparently I am not a superhero, so they wouldn’t let me into the game😦

Still so exciting though. I remember the day Germany lost in the quarter finals. Afterward, everyone was walking around like their grandma had just died.

Grateful for a very full weekend of ministry and preaching in Toronto, Canada (GTA). Such a privilege to partner with @worldvisioncan @wvcollective to advocate for the most vulnerable around the world. God is so gracious. A true honor to meet and encourage local pastors, lecture at Tyndale University & Seminary (photo), and preach at Richmond Hills Community Church, Compass Point Bible Church, and New City Church. Thank you, Lord, that you use broken and imperfect people like me to speak of Your love. Today, Minhee and I dropped off our eldest child at her college. We have been thinking and praying about this day for many years. On some days, we hoped it would never come. On other days, we couldn't wait for it to come. On some days, we prayed for time to stop and other days, we prayed with anticipation.

A flood of thoughts rushed my mind.

Is she ready?
Have we done enough?
Have we taught her enough?
What if this? What if that?

And I came home.
And I wept.
Forget my street cred.
I miss her. I love her.
She will always be my little baby.

Happy life. - Eugenius 3:16

I still remember that time, many years ago, when Minhee was pregnant with our first child. She had left her family and friends in Korea just two years before. Her morning sickness was horrible and when she finally had an appetite, she craved her favorite Korean food from certain restaurants in her neighborhood in Seoul, Korea. I had no way of getting that food from those restaurants so I actually said, "How about a Whopper? Big Mac?" Sorry honey. Eat away. You deserve it. I don't care if it sounds mushy but sunsets are one of my love languages. Seoul, Korea was amazing but WOW...what a breathtaking welcome back sunset by Seattle. Not ready to let go of summer. Seattle. 7:00pm. Desperately holding on to summer. #goldengardenpark #nofilter