near naked dancing dude: courage, freedom, herd mentality, or movement

n658565066_3877Take three minutes to watch this video from the 2009 Sasquatch Music Festival from our very own, Washington State. One shirtless dude (his name & story below) is dancing all alone to the song UnStoppable by Santigold. After some awkward gyrations, another guy amazingly joins him in dancing; and then a third, and then a group of people. And before you know it, a full party and movement takes place.  It’s a must see video:

Here are my questions:

• What is going on? What do you think?
  • Is this an example of visionary leadership?
  • Is this an example of courage? Individuality? Freedom?
  • The first guy dancing has guts but isn’t the 2nd (& 3rd person) that join him even more courageous?
  • How great is it to see the group grow into a huge ‘movement? But at the end, is it just herd mentality?

All interesting questions to consider but I was absolutely struck by the 2nd and 3rd person that join the ‘dance party.’  The first guy just looked awkward dancing all alone. His dancing didn’t help either.  We all know how important the primary visionaries are but we often underestimate the importance of the primary supporter, #2, executive pastor, ‘right hand person,’ partner, the Jonathan, or whatever other word or description you like to use.

And who was the “dancing man?”  His name is Collin Wynter from Calgary, Canada.

Collin Wynter, 28, was caught on camera last month at the Sasquatch music festival in George, Wash. Videos of the “dancing man” were uploaded to YouTube, where tens of thousands of people have watched his moves.

In the most popular one, re-posted several times, Wynter is dancing alone but his enthusiasm quickly draws of a crowd of dancers.

Wynter said his roommate warned him that people were taking videos and photos of him, but he wasn’t concerned.

“I truly, firmly believe that music is the language of the soul and how we communicate that language is through dance,” Wynter said. “I enjoy meeting new people. I enjoy having friends and stuff. I enjoy having a good time and I really just wanted to let myself go.”

Filed under: , , , , ,

1. Rachel says:

It seemed like #2 brought more and he definitely encouraged the third guy. It’s interesting how people are RUNNING to dance with him.

Interesting parallel with leadership. I’m going to have to noodle that one.

2. Kathy says:

I wonder about the role of the lyrics…”I’ve got to be unstoppable…” Aren’t there those times when the music itself moves us outside of ourselves and connects us to something beyond our own worth – and don’t we all want to be a part of that????

3. Starz says:

It is very funny video. This free lane dancer(s) really had the gut. My own lesson by watching this video: conquer the fear of failure and truly be one-self to be a great leader (messengers of Christ).

4. I think a lot of things came together for this scene to happen. Eventually the scene reached it “tipping point”.

5. Monts says:

I think it’s interesting at the very end of the video his friends who video’d the whole thing asked the question repeatedly, “How did he do that?! How did he do that?!”

I think that’s a very telling question/statement.

6. Zach says:

This was fun to watch. I like considering this episode holistically. It took diverse variables for this spontaneous dance party to occur. From music with a driving beat and lyrics belting out “I’ve got to be unstoppable,” to free and courageous individuals who risked looking silly in order to express themselves and have a good time.

This video also confesses to just how much the majority wants to stay put and not make a scene. Yet under the surface of many, lies the desire to break out of those constraints.

7. zenallenar says:

I thought it was interesting that after Guy #3 showed up people began coming in groups not ones. Reminded me of the Fibonacci Sequence.

8. Carol says:

It’s interesting to notice that as more people joined the “dancing party” that the dancing changed to accommodate the growing number of participants. It wasn’t regulated and yet…Their enthusiasm, joy and fun was contagious…lessons for the Church? I think so.

9. Eugene Cho says:

I admit: There are many times I just want to take off my shirt and dance like crazy.

Perhaps, this Sunday at Quest…

10. L. LeBron says:

Why did it take the guy sitting so close in the red shirt all the way to the end to get up? I was surprised when he finally did and it didn’t seem to be to get out of the way. What finally moved him?

11. […] Eugene Cho has a thought provoking post on this video over at his blog. You should check it out. […]

12. […] Lessons from the Dancing Man Watch this video and take a look at the questions.  This looks like a scene that Jesus would notice and then point […]

13. Randall says:

@Eugene…maybe at the 5pm service?

14. thegifthorse says:

Seth Godin wrote an interesting blog about this guy a couple weeks ago. He insists that the third guy was almost as important as the first. What amazes me too is that people are running to be a part of it at the end.

I think I’m going to put up a quick blog about this: shameless self-promotion- http://thelast1augh.wordpress.com/

15. […] you’ve already watched the video above.  A couple of my favorite bloggers (Seth Godin and Eugene Cho) have already written entries about this video.  Godin insists that the third guy who joins the […]

16. kellohitty says:

It seems to me like an allegory of how we are to be as Christians and how do we draw others to God. We must have the courage to dance alone, as free and as confidence in God, as that lone man dancing with everyone watching him. And then we are joined by others who, seeing us dance, wondered at the beauty and freedom to be with Christ, desired to join. …and then came the crowd.
    So it seems, anyone can be a huge influence and make a big difference in the world…if we have that person’s courage, then the wonder of God will do the rest.
    I think Church is started like that, with one man dancing.
    So how’s your dancing Eugene? b/c I’ve heard you rap and I’m not so confidence about that🙂

17. Ty says:

I was an eyewitness to this whole event, that man was a visionary.

18. Adam says:

dude… the 3rd guy must be the youth pastor.

19. […] courage or herd mentality? Take three minutes to watch this video from the 2009 Sasquatch Music Festival from our very own, Washington State. One […] […]

20. stan says:

the second guy (to me) was making fun of the dancer (looking back at his friends laughing), but he immediately added credibility regardless of his motives, the third guy added to the silliness and opened the flood gates. i was just as struck by the late (adapters) arrivals – those that missed the party – especially the last guy who decides he’s too far away to join the group and veers left (is there a porta potty down here?)

21. aaron says:

I guess it could be called courage… I would probably call it freedom. I have been to concerts where I want to dance and run around like an insane person, but I don’t because I do not want to be that guy…. Maybe he was doing it to draw attention to himself or draw a crowd, but my guess is he felt free to enjoy the music… and in so doing gave others the freedom to do the same.

22. […] Eugene Cho posts this YouTube video of a spontaneous male dancer at the Sasquatch Festival in Washington and the viral way the dance expands. […]

23. katie says:

i was at Sasquatch (not that day, but the day before), and i have to say, i think 90% of the people at that concert want to be dancing the whole time but 75% of them won’t do it unless others are! The other 15 or so percent are either intoxicated or truly bold. One guy in front of me at the Passion Pit concert was totally in his own world just dancing by himself and loving it…I loved watching him and was thinking “damn, i wish i was that comfortable in my own skin!”

24. Herd mentality has more to do with grouping together in fear to avoid a perceived common threat. I’d say this is just the opposite: I’d call it ‘family mentality’ – individuals seek a place of freedom and joy.

It was so beautiful to see everyone enjoying themselves. Made me wish I was there.

25. urbanreality says:

It is party and everybody loves to party.

26. […] Eugene Cho deserves props. Cho wonderfully points out the fact that a visionary doing his thing can be rather difficult to watch until others join him. […]

27. […] Eugene Cho deserves props. Cho wonderfully points out the fact that a visionary doing his thing can be rather difficult to watch until others join him. […]

28. todd fadel says:

this happened at Easter and reminds me of the Sasquatch man: http://www.vimeo.com/4134635

29. Pat says:

I agree with the response above… it is “Family mentality!” You have to have been from the GOOD part of the 60s and early 70s to understand that “good vibe” going out and makIng you move too. BTW-I am a 54 year old Mother of 4 and a Registered Nurse.