iphone 3gs: what should i do?

bits_iphone3GS.480

Technology amazes me. People amaze me. I think of some of the advancements of tech stuff and can’t imagine the future world of my grandchildren.  One such example is the continual evolution of the “cellphone.”

Being a recovering gadget person, I took in the release and news in the recents weeks of the Palm Pre and iPhone 3Gs.

My inclination is to invest in a new phone by the end of the year. My Treo 755 just isn’t cutting it for me…way too many issues. I was hoping to get the Palm Pre but they simply won’t let me continue my grandfathered rates:

700 minutes. Free evenings and weekends. Unlimited data & texting.  For two phones. Cost = $79.99 + tax.

Unfortunately, I have to go on a Pre plan which would bump the price to a minimum of $129.99 + tax for two people.

It so happens to be that my contract is up this month and so, I am wondering if I should move over to AT&T and finally take the plunge on the soon to be released iPhone 3GS.  AT&T’s rates will be higher but if I lose by grandfathered rates, is it worth paying the extra?

What do you think?  What would you do?

Maybe I should be radical and go retro. Remember this phone?

Pretty thorough read from the PC World about the new 3GS including exclusive features that make it distinct from the 3G:

So which new features are exclusive to iPhone 3G S?

Good question. From what we can tell, here’s a complete list of features that are found only on the iPhone 3G S; in other words, you won’t get them on your iPhone 3G by installing the iPhone Software 3.0 update:

The faster processor, more RAM, and new video circuitry
Improved battery life
The improved camera hardware
Video recording, trimming, and sharing
The digital compass
Voice Control
Accessibility improvements
Built-in Nike + iPod support
HSPA7.2 compatibility
Open GL ES 2.0
Hardware encryption
Environmental improvements

Filed under: technology, , , , ,

1. Dan says:

Wow. $80 for that plan is unheard of. Hard to let go of in my opinion.

2. Mason says:

It’s a big step up in cost, but with all the iPhone can do, and with how impressed I’ve been with my other Apple purchases, I’m planning to upgrade to the iPhone in a few months when my contract expires.

3. Andrea says:

Sometimes being less connected is a good thing. I love my iPhone but it, like blogging, facebook, twitted, etc are time sucks. Do I really need to be online right now? No. But my phone was handy…

4. DYdaktix says:

I’m stuck in a similar situation, how about a HTC Touch Pro2 that should be coming out in a few weeks?

Or,

Sell your plan/give it to somebody, so that your grandfather’d plan won’t go to waste. My friend did that for me when he got his iPhone.

5. That price is pretty good Eugene. Unless you are just really itchin to make the jump, I think I would scour Craig’s List for a compatible phone and keep your plan at current.

I have AT & T with five phones (my kids of course) and it’s about double what you pay so for me, it’s a good plan but I really wish Palm would offer the PRE on AT & T as well. I currently use their Centro phone on my plan and it works great.

6. art says:

you could always buy an unlocked pre and try to use it with your existing plan. i think this would work. the pre is a really slick phone; go to a sprint store and check it out. for your needs, and with your palm background, i really think that the pre would be a better fit than the iphone.

if you do need to go with a new contract, i’m pretty sure sprint and the pre would still be cheaper than at&t and the iphone in the long run.

7. Benji says:

I think the iphone is a great option now especially since tethering is something you can use.

8. Daniel Azuma says:

Pastor E, sometimes I just don’t get you. All that rhetoric about why you won’t get a Mac, and then you turn around and start drooling over the iPhone.

Go retro and get a simple flip phone. The world would be a better place with fewer people twittering and checking their stock quotes while driving.

9. I think you should consider another option, Eugene. The phone is call Vertu: http://www.vertu.com/in-en/#in-en_

Last time I visited their mono-brand store, their were out of their phones (except the base model). I haven’t looked into their plans, but the phone looks really cool!!!

10. Eugene Cho says:

@daniel: a better place?

how will i then know what you’re eating for lunch?

mac vs pc = much difference imo. the iPhone & other smart phones do things that flip phones CAN’T do.

i don’t drool but efficiency can be a good thing.

11. Craig says:

A word of warning: iPhones are equal parts efficient and addictive. I’ve had more than one time I’ve forgotten my iPhone with me in the bathroom and ended up having a very lonely and impatient poo. I NEED MY FACEBOOK FIX AND I NEED IT NOW. And iPhone delivers to every single one of my compulsive, every-30-second checks for an information fix.

Sigh.

12. Dan says:

Without even looking into the cost of an iphone(usually more expensive over the long haul), and features (despite being shiny, it still has the same features as your standard android, windows mobile, RIM phones, and oftentimes fewer features) the real issue with the iphone in the states has been ATT not supporting it.
    ATT’s 3g coverage has been spotty, and while the iphone now has tethering and MMS support, ATT does not (supposed to come out “later this summer”. ATT claims they are rolling out a new network, but, problem is, other carriers are already rolling out 4g networks (sprint will be the first, Seattle being one of the first city’s to receive it.)
    I am not going to lie, I am not a huge fan of the iphone. So, please realize that if I bash it, it is so I can feel better about myself and my decisions. That being said, I still think that once Palm gets some of the updates to the Pre (which can be rolled out OTA), it will be a pretty awesome phone.

13. I’ve been holding on to my pos Windows Mobile phone for nearly three years now and I’ve held out as long as possible trying to avoid paying for an iPhone. But I’m diving in and getting the iPhone 3GS as soon as I can.

For me it’s a matter of having a phone that doesn’t add stress, allows me to use the web (easily) when I need to so I can leave my computer behind more often, and give me a reliable photo and video camera so I can have a better collection of memories to reminisce over 60 years from now. My current phone technically does all this but I hate it and I hate using it.

That, plus the 80 bajillion other great things about the phone makes it worth far more than the cost for me. It’s a tough choice so I hope you end up with a decision you’re happy with.

14. jerry says:

The cost of ownership is ludicrous. I refuse to get sucked in.

I’m sorry, no phone is worth $2000 for 2 years. Once this companies decided to stop being so greedy, I’ll get one.

Oh, and yes, I know the prices are high because of the phones being subsidized, but they took it too far (especially AT&T).

15. dave says:

Go with the Iphone. I love the web access, the video editing, all the apps that make your life easier, maps & gps is a huge help, and of course being able to watch movies/tv on the treadmill (along with podcasts).

I have never regretted having the phone and continue to be amazed at how much it makes life easier. You will not be disappointed with the purchase.

16. Daniel Azuma says:

@PastorE: I have the same thing for lunch every day: tofu teriyaki with pineapple. There, now you’re out of excuses.:-)

17. Jon says:

I’m a huge tech-head and early adopter and my contract with another carrier is up in August, but I’ve decided to wait until the exclusivity deal with AT&T is over. I L.O.V.E. the iPhone, but I was with the folk who laughed openly as the iPhone 3GS was touted to have features AT&T will not be supporting – at least not initially or without extra costs. Tethering is a big deal to me – why pay more to connect up my laptop when I already am paying for a data connection. I will wait until there is some competition in that market, which should increase quality and drive down prices.

But it’s going to be hard to resist that “edit video on your phone” functionality:-).

Here’s a link:

18. Dave says:

People for thousands of years have been able to communicate and have genuine relationships without the Iphone. Dont let our consumeristic society turn your wants into a need. It is not a need. Dont buy it.

19. Andy M says:

I’m considering getting one, IF in a couple months when my contract is up they have a good discount for the iphone 3g (not the new one), and if my wife and I decide to get a cheaper family plan since we don’t use all of our minutes. If it were to go like that, then I wouldn’t really be spending much more than usual for a new phone, and I wouldn’t be spending much more than usual for a monthly plan.

But by then, they may not even offer the old one anymore, so we’ll see.

20. Steve says:

Check out the new Blackberry which Verizon and Sprint are launching. If you actually want to write emails on your phone, then it’s tough to beat Blackberry.

People often ask, "How does one stand all that rain in Seattle?" Actually, it doesn't rain that much. I like the rain. Keeps everything "evergreen" and clean. Keeps our air fresh. What's challenging is the gray weather. Give me a few more sunny days. 99 more days to be specific.
Regardless, still love this city. Checking out Canada in case I need to move up North after the presidential election. Just saying, eh.

Downtown Toronto. Fascinating architecture. Amazed by the diversity of this city. We desperately want our children to not just be captivated by the beauty of creation...but more importantly, to the actual Creator of all that is good and beautiful.

Actually, we want and need this truth for our souls, too. What a privilege. This isn't possible without all those who give, pray, and support the work of @onedayswages. This week, I signed and mailed grants to three partner organizations totaling over $170,000. These grants will empower people by supporting maternal health care, refugee relief efforts, access to clean water, provide education, etc.

Sometimes, the brokenness of the world feel so overwhelming but let's keep running the race with endurance. Let's keep pursuing justice, mercy, and humility. Let's be faithful and may we be spurred on to keep working for God's Kingdom...on earth as it is in heaven.

Again, thank you so much for your support for @onedayswages! My wife, Minhee, and I stand on the shoulders of praying mothers. I'd like to take a moment to honor my mother-in-law. It's hard to put words together to embody her life but she is a very special, anointed person. I'm so blessed to have her as a mother in my life.

She was a devoted wife until she lost her husband to cancer, mother to three daughters, and later became a pastor. She became a follower of Christ as an adult and as such, led her her family to Christ. In her late 50s, she obeyed God's calling to go to seminary and be a leader in the church. She graduated #1 in her class and reminded us that it's never too late to follow a new dream or calling.

As she'll soon celebrate her 80th birthday, I'm especially grateful for the ways that she poured into and prayed over Minhee and her other children.  Even though she's officially retired, I'm inspired that the concept of retirement is not in her vocabulary.  She continues to serve the local church, evangelize and bear witness to Christ, and goes to the early morning prayer meeting at 5am everyday to pray for our family, our church, and for others.
Jangmonim, we love and honor you. 어머니, 사랑합니다.

Someday, I hope that when my kids speak of Minhee and I...above all, they would say with integrity that their parents prayed for them and kept pointing them to Christ. On this Mother's Day, I want to take a few words to honor mother.

There’s a moment from a few years ago that will stick with me until the day I die. It’s regarding Sung Wha, my mother.

Minhee and I were at a point of transition, between working at an ethnic Korean church in the northern suburbs of Seattle called Lynnwood and launching Quest in urban Seattle. As I shared earlier, I was in desperate need of a job. I had a mortgage to pay. A pregnant wife. A kid at home.
Then, praise God, after months without work, I finally landed a job.

My mom was in between jobs at this point in her life. She was in her late fifties, but she had such bad knees and degenerative hips that it was, and is, difficult for her to walk. My mom is like a human barometer—when a storm is coming and when it rains, her hips throb. Although my parents lived in San Francisco, she was visiting us in Seattle to encourage us in this difficult season.

As I prepared to go to work one early morning, I walked downstairs to put on my jacket and shoes, and forgot that my mother woke up early every morning to pray. In fact, she had been praying for months that I would find a job. “Eugene, where are you going?” she said when she saw me.

I hadn’t told my mother the news that I had just recently been hired for the janitorial gig at Barnes and Noble. I chose not to because I thought she and my father would be devastated. I didn’t want them to think that after laboring, sacrificing, and doing so much for us over all those years that their son had failed them.

But I couldn’t lie to her, so eventually I told my mom that I got a job and was going to work. “Great! What job? What are you doing?” “Um, I’m working at Barnes and Noble as their custodian,” I said finally.

Without asking another question, my mother got up from the dining table where she had been reading her Bible and praying. She slowly walked slowly toward me.

She approached me, then walked past me without saying a word, and I realized she was headed toward the closet. She opened the closet door, put on her jacket, turned around and said to me (in Korean), “Eugene, let’s go together. I will help you.” This is my mother.

• Remember the fallen. Honor our soldiers. Pray for leaders. And remember that we serve the Kingdom of God rather than the Empire of Nations. || 17 hours ago
  • RT @micahchallenge: Our books Live Justly & Overrated are tools used to be moved to change the world! bit.ly/1s3DKI2 https://t.co/… || 1 day ago
  • Another challenging & life giving message by @RevDocBrenda. Such a privilege to teach with a team of women & men that love the whole Gospel. || 1 day ago
  • It's been years since Seattle Sonics "became" the OKC Thunder. Still stings. Seattle deserves a team before OKC gets a title. That is all. || 2 days ago
  • That time when nearly everyone laughed at @KlayThompson when he said he was the best shooting guard in the NBA. || 2 days ago
  • The best part of wanting to change the world...is being humbled, learning you're not the savior of the world & being changed in the process. || 2 days ago

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,409 other followers