iphone 3gs: what should i do?

bits_iphone3GS.480

Technology amazes me. People amaze me. I think of some of the advancements of tech stuff and can’t imagine the future world of my grandchildren.  One such example is the continual evolution of the “cellphone.”

Being a recovering gadget person, I took in the release and news in the recents weeks of the Palm Pre and iPhone 3Gs.

My inclination is to invest in a new phone by the end of the year. My Treo 755 just isn’t cutting it for me…way too many issues. I was hoping to get the Palm Pre but they simply won’t let me continue my grandfathered rates:

700 minutes. Free evenings and weekends. Unlimited data & texting.  For two phones. Cost = $79.99 + tax.

Unfortunately, I have to go on a Pre plan which would bump the price to a minimum of $129.99 + tax for two people.

It so happens to be that my contract is up this month and so, I am wondering if I should move over to AT&T and finally take the plunge on the soon to be released iPhone 3GS.  AT&T’s rates will be higher but if I lose by grandfathered rates, is it worth paying the extra?

What do you think?  What would you do?

Maybe I should be radical and go retro. Remember this phone?

Pretty thorough read from the PC World about the new 3GS including exclusive features that make it distinct from the 3G:

So which new features are exclusive to iPhone 3G S?

Good question. From what we can tell, here’s a complete list of features that are found only on the iPhone 3G S; in other words, you won’t get them on your iPhone 3G by installing the iPhone Software 3.0 update:

The faster processor, more RAM, and new video circuitry
Improved battery life
The improved camera hardware
Video recording, trimming, and sharing
The digital compass
Voice Control
Accessibility improvements
Built-in Nike + iPod support
HSPA7.2 compatibility
Open GL ES 2.0
Hardware encryption
Environmental improvements

Filed under: technology, , , , ,

1. Dan says:

Wow. $80 for that plan is unheard of. Hard to let go of in my opinion.

2. Mason says:

It’s a big step up in cost, but with all the iPhone can do, and with how impressed I’ve been with my other Apple purchases, I’m planning to upgrade to the iPhone in a few months when my contract expires.

3. Andrea says:

Sometimes being less connected is a good thing. I love my iPhone but it, like blogging, facebook, twitted, etc are time sucks. Do I really need to be online right now? No. But my phone was handy…

4. DYdaktix says:

I’m stuck in a similar situation, how about a HTC Touch Pro2 that should be coming out in a few weeks?

Or,

Sell your plan/give it to somebody, so that your grandfather’d plan won’t go to waste. My friend did that for me when he got his iPhone.

5. That price is pretty good Eugene. Unless you are just really itchin to make the jump, I think I would scour Craig’s List for a compatible phone and keep your plan at current.

I have AT & T with five phones (my kids of course) and it’s about double what you pay so for me, it’s a good plan but I really wish Palm would offer the PRE on AT & T as well. I currently use their Centro phone on my plan and it works great.

6. art says:

you could always buy an unlocked pre and try to use it with your existing plan. i think this would work. the pre is a really slick phone; go to a sprint store and check it out. for your needs, and with your palm background, i really think that the pre would be a better fit than the iphone.

if you do need to go with a new contract, i’m pretty sure sprint and the pre would still be cheaper than at&t and the iphone in the long run.

7. Benji says:

I think the iphone is a great option now especially since tethering is something you can use.

8. Daniel Azuma says:

Pastor E, sometimes I just don’t get you. All that rhetoric about why you won’t get a Mac, and then you turn around and start drooling over the iPhone.

Go retro and get a simple flip phone. The world would be a better place with fewer people twittering and checking their stock quotes while driving.

9. I think you should consider another option, Eugene. The phone is call Vertu: http://www.vertu.com/in-en/#in-en_

Last time I visited their mono-brand store, their were out of their phones (except the base model). I haven’t looked into their plans, but the phone looks really cool!!!

10. Eugene Cho says:

@daniel: a better place?

how will i then know what you’re eating for lunch?

mac vs pc = much difference imo. the iPhone & other smart phones do things that flip phones CAN’T do.

i don’t drool but efficiency can be a good thing.

11. Craig says:

A word of warning: iPhones are equal parts efficient and addictive. I’ve had more than one time I’ve forgotten my iPhone with me in the bathroom and ended up having a very lonely and impatient poo. I NEED MY FACEBOOK FIX AND I NEED IT NOW. And iPhone delivers to every single one of my compulsive, every-30-second checks for an information fix.

Sigh.

12. Dan says:

Without even looking into the cost of an iphone(usually more expensive over the long haul), and features (despite being shiny, it still has the same features as your standard android, windows mobile, RIM phones, and oftentimes fewer features) the real issue with the iphone in the states has been ATT not supporting it.
    ATT’s 3g coverage has been spotty, and while the iphone now has tethering and MMS support, ATT does not (supposed to come out “later this summer”. ATT claims they are rolling out a new network, but, problem is, other carriers are already rolling out 4g networks (sprint will be the first, Seattle being one of the first city’s to receive it.)
    I am not going to lie, I am not a huge fan of the iphone. So, please realize that if I bash it, it is so I can feel better about myself and my decisions. That being said, I still think that once Palm gets some of the updates to the Pre (which can be rolled out OTA), it will be a pretty awesome phone.

13. I’ve been holding on to my pos Windows Mobile phone for nearly three years now and I’ve held out as long as possible trying to avoid paying for an iPhone. But I’m diving in and getting the iPhone 3GS as soon as I can.

For me it’s a matter of having a phone that doesn’t add stress, allows me to use the web (easily) when I need to so I can leave my computer behind more often, and give me a reliable photo and video camera so I can have a better collection of memories to reminisce over 60 years from now. My current phone technically does all this but I hate it and I hate using it.

That, plus the 80 bajillion other great things about the phone makes it worth far more than the cost for me. It’s a tough choice so I hope you end up with a decision you’re happy with.

14. jerry says:

The cost of ownership is ludicrous. I refuse to get sucked in.

I’m sorry, no phone is worth $2000 for 2 years. Once this companies decided to stop being so greedy, I’ll get one.

Oh, and yes, I know the prices are high because of the phones being subsidized, but they took it too far (especially AT&T).

15. dave says:

Go with the Iphone. I love the web access, the video editing, all the apps that make your life easier, maps & gps is a huge help, and of course being able to watch movies/tv on the treadmill (along with podcasts).

I have never regretted having the phone and continue to be amazed at how much it makes life easier. You will not be disappointed with the purchase.

16. Daniel Azuma says:

@PastorE: I have the same thing for lunch every day: tofu teriyaki with pineapple. There, now you’re out of excuses.🙂

17. Jon says:

I’m a huge tech-head and early adopter and my contract with another carrier is up in August, but I’ve decided to wait until the exclusivity deal with AT&T is over. I L.O.V.E. the iPhone, but I was with the folk who laughed openly as the iPhone 3GS was touted to have features AT&T will not be supporting – at least not initially or without extra costs. Tethering is a big deal to me – why pay more to connect up my laptop when I already am paying for a data connection. I will wait until there is some competition in that market, which should increase quality and drive down prices.

But it’s going to be hard to resist that “edit video on your phone” functionality🙂.

Here’s a link:

18. Dave says:

People for thousands of years have been able to communicate and have genuine relationships without the Iphone. Dont let our consumeristic society turn your wants into a need. It is not a need. Dont buy it.

19. Andy M says:

I’m considering getting one, IF in a couple months when my contract is up they have a good discount for the iphone 3g (not the new one), and if my wife and I decide to get a cheaper family plan since we don’t use all of our minutes. If it were to go like that, then I wouldn’t really be spending much more than usual for a new phone, and I wouldn’t be spending much more than usual for a monthly plan.

But by then, they may not even offer the old one anymore, so we’ll see.

20. Steve says:

Check out the new Blackberry which Verizon and Sprint are launching. If you actually want to write emails on your phone, then it’s tough to beat Blackberry.

It appears I brought a little Seattle to the NYC. Drizzle fest. 24 hour gathering with a small group of leaders from around the country. Learning. Listening. Asking hard questions. Head exploding. Heart trying to have hope. As I soaked in this breathtaking sunrise this morning above the clouds, I felt compelled to pray for so my places in America and around the world that are experiencing such pain, heartache, injustice, and violence. At times, it feels so overwhelming but in prayer, I was reminded of these words from John 16:33. As we keep striving, working, hoping, preaching, loving, truthtelling, reconciling, repenting, forgiving, dismantling, peacemaking, Kingdom building...may we fix our eyes on Christ: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” - John 16:33 Grateful for a very full weekend of ministry and preaching in Toronto, Canada (GTA). Such a privilege to partner with @worldvisioncan @wvcollective to advocate for the most vulnerable around the world. God is so gracious. A true honor to meet and encourage local pastors, lecture at Tyndale University & Seminary (photo), and preach at Richmond Hills Community Church, Compass Point Bible Church, and New City Church. Thank you, Lord, that you use broken and imperfect people like me to speak of Your love. Today, Minhee and I dropped off our eldest child at her college. We have been thinking and praying about this day for many years. On some days, we hoped it would never come. On other days, we couldn't wait for it to come. On some days, we prayed for time to stop and other days, we prayed with anticipation.

A flood of thoughts rushed my mind.

Is she ready?
Have we done enough?
Have we taught her enough?
What if this? What if that?

And I came home.
And I wept.
Forget my street cred.
I miss her. I love her.
She will always be my little baby.

Happy life. - Eugenius 3:16

I still remember that time, many years ago, when Minhee was pregnant with our first child. She had left her family and friends in Korea just two years before. Her morning sickness was horrible and when she finally had an appetite, she craved her favorite Korean food from certain restaurants in her neighborhood in Seoul, Korea. I had no way of getting that food from those restaurants so I actually said, "How about a Whopper? Big Mac?" Sorry honey. Eat away. You deserve it.

• It appears I brought a little Seattle to the NYC. Drizzle fest. 24 hour gathering with a small… instagram.com/p/BK_409Ohzr1/ || 28 minutes ago
  • Life has its share of pain but don't get down and cynical. Stay engaged. Self-care. Keep learning and growing. Remain hopeful. Be steadfast. || 5 hours ago
  • The Gospel, not social justice, is our identity as believers but the Gospel compels us to love God/love people incl. work 4 the common good. || 2 days ago
  • Folks often ask me, "What is social justice?" "Social justice" are fancier words for "Give a Damn". || 2 days ago
  • RT @EugeneCho: Just met Edna, a sister-in-Christ. She's 90 years old. She met Jesus when she was 85. You're never too young or too old to f… || 2 days ago
  • Thank you @fullerfyi @KPowellFYI for this important resource about listening, engaging, and discipling young people: churchesgrowingyoung.com || 2 days ago