prayer is often the first thing to go

prayer

It’s been a very busy and intense season – especially w/ the unveiling and soon launch of the grassroots poverty organization, One Day’s Wages. Not just with stuff to do but honestly, stuff on my heart and mind.  I’m not sure about you but I can acknowledge and admit that when I get busy, and my time and mind are scattered, the first thing to go is my rhythm, discipline, and joy of prayer.

I’ve been convicted of this again…particularly, in praying for the people of my church community.  The life and roles of a pastor continue to grow and evolve but one thing shouldn’t change:

Love, serve, care, and pray for your flock.  Model these things so that they do these for one another.

Questers: If you’re reading this, accept my apology for not being in faithful prayer for you these recent weeks.

With that in mind, I’m asking you a simple question in hopes that it may inspire each of us to be reminded that God hears our prayers and He often prompts us to be in prayer, care, and service for one another.

Share as little or as much as you want:

Who or what are you praying for?

Me? Well, it should be obvious. Been in prayer for numerous within our church.  Not just thinking of them but praying for them.

Filed under: , , , ,

1. Sue says:

I’ve been praying for my parents as they are both fairly ill. I live far away and often feel very helpless so for now, I’m praying and calling every day to let them know how much I love them.

2. CL says:

Thank you Pastor Eugene for this post and making yourself vulnerable.

3. Andy says:

I thank you too Eugene for your vulnerability. I’m guilty as charged. Currently I’m praying for an open door with those I seek to serve in the Mosaics project, for my children a lot and for resolution to our housing situation.

4. sir jorge says:

now this is a cool post. Prayer? I pray that someone says hello to me at church. It’s a rarity in these modern church models with hundreds and in some cases thousands of people ignoring the new comers so that they can get the best seat in the house, in case they make the webcast

5. Linda says:

I’m a few posts late today, so I started reading the human trafficking post and the 24 comments, before I scrolled down to this post with its 4 comments. Very interesting.

Here are some observations from both posts:
    We get a lot more “involved” or passionate about concrete things like sex slaves than we do about prayer–though we’re often at a loss to know what to do with either.

We’re tired of causes, we feel overwhelmed with the needs of this hurting world, and we want to be like Jesus–we want to be His hands, His Feet, even though we’re not real sure what to do. I think being overwhelmed leads to striving, scurrying, being distracted, losing the rhythms of our lives, scrambling inside…

Sometimes we might equate praying to posting on FB or joining a cause group which makes us feel better but doesn’t really accomplish anything.

When we decide to do something, we join causes–write emails, post on blogs. That is easier than sincere, devoted prayer.

Eugene–you are the third pastor I’ve read this week who has written about his renewed commitment to prayer. I believe our warrior God, our beloved Savior, our powerful indweller is trying to get our attention. In challenging our leaders He is also asking them to challenge us! Thank you!

I too am guilty of being distracted, pressured and scrambling. Yesterday I confessed, and today I took a mini prayer retreat. Do I have clarity on the things that bring pressure to my spirit? Not yet. But, those things are back in my Father’s hands and I’m not carrying the weight of this needy world on my shoulders–at least right now. I still care deeply, I still want to know what I can do to make a difference, but I am once again admitting that God is the one who will ultimately accomplish His work in and through me and you to bring His salvation, justice and mercy to our needy world.

6. JR says:

For me, I’ve been praying a great deal for my children. They’re growing bigger by the days so I’m really trying to bathe them in prayer.

7. Michelle says:

Thank you for being honest and for praying for your church…..I am praying for the country of Ukraine, it’s orphans and street children.

Preach the Gospel at all times and sometimes...use signs.

Really loved this sign from one of our church congregants at the women's march.

Counter cultural. Subversive.
Life giving. Good news. To support both the equality of women and the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but I know we're not alone. May we press on. And may we lead with hope.

I'm at the Women's March in Seattle to show my solidarity with my wife, my mothers, my daughters, and the female congregants of my church. I'm also here to model for my son what we believe in our home. Many people have already expressed their disappointment, dismay, and disgust with my decision. Such is life. We will always disappoint someone. And that's also a lot of words that begin with "d." I'm here not because I agree or disagree with every single statement or sign at this march (although I really liked this one) but because as a Christian, I believe in the fundamental truth that women are fearfully and wonderfully made in the image of God. They are to be valued, heard, and respected.

And because I believe we can't be a flourishing society without the flourishing of women. And because the Church cannot be the Church without the gifts and voices of women. All the gifts of women.

And in doing so, may we together honor the sanctity of life - from womb to tomb. Collaboration.

col·lab·o·ra·tion
kəˌlabəˈrāSH(ə)n/
noun

the action of working with someone or a group of others  to produce or create something.

May we hold our logos, egos, and tribalism have their place. May we hold them loosely for they too shall pass. May we collaborate for the sake of the greater Kingdom of God ... which endures forever. As we honor Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., don't forget the God behind the man. The one true God who deposited this dream into MLK is still speaking to us today. Are we listening?

Be courageous. Be brave.

Being invited by the King Family to speak at the MLK worship service at Ebenezer Baptist Church in 2016 remains one of the most unexpected honors of my life. On the right is his daughter, Dr. Bernice King and his sister, Dr. Christine King Farris. Walking throughstreet markets in different parts of the world is the best. Soaking in the culture. Listening to the local language and music. Enjoying the amazing cuisine. Meeting new friends. Praying for the Gospel to penetrate. #ChiangRai Blessed be the local, indigenous leaders for it is they who live in the very communities they seek to love. For it is they who understand their context and culture...better than a Westerner ever will. For it is they who will continue to tenaciously pursue a better world with hope, justice and love when visitors like me leave.

Yes, blessed be the local, indigenous leaders.

• Preach the Gospel at all times and sometimes...use signs. Countercultural. Subversive. Life giving. Truth. - instagram.com/p/BPlwJneBSiW/ || 4 hours ago
  • Really loved this sign from the women's march from one of our church congregants. Counter cultural. Subversive. L… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 1 day ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn can be lonely but we're not alone. Lead with hope: instagram.com/p/BPjMGTOhMjL/ || 1 day ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but we're not alone. May we press on. || 1 day ago
  • Going to the Women's March in Seattle bc as a Christian, I believe women are fearfully and wonderfully made and are to be heard & respected. || 1 day ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 1 day ago