prayer is often the first thing to go

prayer

It’s been a very busy and intense season – especially w/ the unveiling and soon launch of the grassroots poverty organization, One Day’s Wages. Not just with stuff to do but honestly, stuff on my heart and mind.  I’m not sure about you but I can acknowledge and admit that when I get busy, and my time and mind are scattered, the first thing to go is my rhythm, discipline, and joy of prayer.

I’ve been convicted of this again…particularly, in praying for the people of my church community.  The life and roles of a pastor continue to grow and evolve but one thing shouldn’t change:

Love, serve, care, and pray for your flock.  Model these things so that they do these for one another.

Questers: If you’re reading this, accept my apology for not being in faithful prayer for you these recent weeks.

With that in mind, I’m asking you a simple question in hopes that it may inspire each of us to be reminded that God hears our prayers and He often prompts us to be in prayer, care, and service for one another.

Share as little or as much as you want:

Who or what are you praying for?

Me? Well, it should be obvious. Been in prayer for numerous within our church.  Not just thinking of them but praying for them.

Filed under: , , , ,

1. Sue says:

I’ve been praying for my parents as they are both fairly ill. I live far away and often feel very helpless so for now, I’m praying and calling every day to let them know how much I love them.

2. CL says:

Thank you Pastor Eugene for this post and making yourself vulnerable.

3. Andy says:

I thank you too Eugene for your vulnerability. I’m guilty as charged. Currently I’m praying for an open door with those I seek to serve in the Mosaics project, for my children a lot and for resolution to our housing situation.

4. sir jorge says:

now this is a cool post. Prayer? I pray that someone says hello to me at church. It’s a rarity in these modern church models with hundreds and in some cases thousands of people ignoring the new comers so that they can get the best seat in the house, in case they make the webcast

5. Linda says:

I’m a few posts late today, so I started reading the human trafficking post and the 24 comments, before I scrolled down to this post with its 4 comments. Very interesting.

Here are some observations from both posts:
    We get a lot more “involved” or passionate about concrete things like sex slaves than we do about prayer–though we’re often at a loss to know what to do with either.

We’re tired of causes, we feel overwhelmed with the needs of this hurting world, and we want to be like Jesus–we want to be His hands, His Feet, even though we’re not real sure what to do. I think being overwhelmed leads to striving, scurrying, being distracted, losing the rhythms of our lives, scrambling inside…

Sometimes we might equate praying to posting on FB or joining a cause group which makes us feel better but doesn’t really accomplish anything.

When we decide to do something, we join causes–write emails, post on blogs. That is easier than sincere, devoted prayer.

Eugene–you are the third pastor I’ve read this week who has written about his renewed commitment to prayer. I believe our warrior God, our beloved Savior, our powerful indweller is trying to get our attention. In challenging our leaders He is also asking them to challenge us! Thank you!

I too am guilty of being distracted, pressured and scrambling. Yesterday I confessed, and today I took a mini prayer retreat. Do I have clarity on the things that bring pressure to my spirit? Not yet. But, those things are back in my Father’s hands and I’m not carrying the weight of this needy world on my shoulders–at least right now. I still care deeply, I still want to know what I can do to make a difference, but I am once again admitting that God is the one who will ultimately accomplish His work in and through me and you to bring His salvation, justice and mercy to our needy world.

6. JR says:

For me, I’ve been praying a great deal for my children. They’re growing bigger by the days so I’m really trying to bathe them in prayer.

7. Michelle says:

Thank you for being honest and for praying for your church…..I am praying for the country of Ukraine, it’s orphans and street children.

Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. Thanks for your prayers.
I have numerous stories to share but for now, the following came up in every conversation with Iraqi/Syrian refugees:

1 Have tea with us. Or coffee. Or juice. Or something with lots of sugar in it. Or better yet, all of the above.
2 We want peace. We want security.
3 We hate ISIS.
4 We just want to go home.
5 Please don't forget us.

Please don't forget them... Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest

• Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 2 days ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 2 days ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 2 days ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 5 days ago
  • Father, bless these Iraqi and Syrian refugee children that have already endured so much. As we pray, teach us how t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 6 days ago
  • Pray for Iraq. Pray for persecuted Church, minority groups (Yezidis) and Muslims alike who are suffering under ISIS: instagram.com/p/BZF2j6Ngrna/ || 6 days ago