the cho girls on unicycles

If my master plan of getting all three of my kids to and through college on Division I sports scholarships don’t pan out, there appears to be a Plan B.  The girls apparently might be able to qualify for some sort of unicycling scholarship at CTU – aka Clowning Technical University.

This past Sunday, they and about 60 of their elementary schoolmates participated in the Norwegian Constitution Day parade in Ballard – a neighborhood of Seattle with long Scandinavian roots.  Check out this two minute video below.  You’ll see both of my girls in a sea of probably about 60-70 unicyclists and you’ll even see a nasty fall. Seriously, I was really nervous because there were so many kids uncycling everywhere.

I’m going to show my girls this blog post so feel free to share some words of encouragement like:

• “Wow, your daddy is so cool. Never forget that.”
  • “Listen to your parents.”
  • “Boys have the cooties. Say no to boys.”

For those that are reading this via an RSS feeder, you can watch the video here.

Filed under: , , , , ,

1. eugenecho says:

Article in the Seattle Times:

One of our church members and church staff, Jennifer R., is quoted as a Norwegian wannabe. Very cool.

2. Ryan says:

That’s awesome. No dating until you’re 20 and remember, your dad can read your mind.

3. gar says:

Those kids got skills! Rock on.

Oh… and no matter what you think, your Dad knows everything. EVERYTHING. 🙂

4. melissa says:

J and T are awesome! 🙂

5. Rosalind Sciammas says:

You girls look great. I can’t wait to see where your courage, self-determination and excellent balancing techniques take you next.

I never really liked it when my parents would come to my school; I just didn’t think they were cool enough. So they stopped coming. If only my parents were as cool and famous as yours, I’d have footage of me on a unicycle too.

6. Sarah says:

Way to go Cho girls! That was fantastic!

The Moye Clan

7. […] Dog-sitting and Norway’s Constitution Day Parade in Ballard By leebenvic Last Sunday, we stopped by the parade in Ballard celebrating Norway’s Constitution Day. I was bummed because we arrived too late and missed seeing our young friends on their unicycles, which their dad caught on video here. […]

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.