the cho girls on unicycles

If my master plan of getting all three of my kids to and through college on Division I sports scholarships don’t pan out, there appears to be a Plan B.  The girls apparently might be able to qualify for some sort of unicycling scholarship at CTU – aka Clowning Technical University.

This past Sunday, they and about 60 of their elementary schoolmates participated in the Norwegian Constitution Day parade in Ballard – a neighborhood of Seattle with long Scandinavian roots.  Check out this two minute video below.  You’ll see both of my girls in a sea of probably about 60-70 unicyclists and you’ll even see a nasty fall. Seriously, I was really nervous because there were so many kids uncycling everywhere.

I’m going to show my girls this blog post so feel free to share some words of encouragement like:

• “Wow, your daddy is so cool. Never forget that.”
  • “Listen to your parents.”
  • “Boys have the cooties. Say no to boys.”

For those that are reading this via an RSS feeder, you can watch the video here.

Filed under: , , , , ,

1. eugenecho says:

Article in the Seattle Times:

One of our church members and church staff, Jennifer R., is quoted as a Norwegian wannabe. Very cool.

2. Ryan says:

That’s awesome. No dating until you’re 20 and remember, your dad can read your mind.

3. gar says:

Those kids got skills! Rock on.

Oh… and no matter what you think, your Dad knows everything. EVERYTHING. 🙂

4. melissa says:

J and T are awesome! 🙂

5. Rosalind Sciammas says:

You girls look great. I can’t wait to see where your courage, self-determination and excellent balancing techniques take you next.

I never really liked it when my parents would come to my school; I just didn’t think they were cool enough. So they stopped coming. If only my parents were as cool and famous as yours, I’d have footage of me on a unicycle too.

6. Sarah says:

Way to go Cho girls! That was fantastic!

The Moye Clan

7. […] Dog-sitting and Norway’s Constitution Day Parade in Ballard By leebenvic Last Sunday, we stopped by the parade in Ballard celebrating Norway’s Constitution Day. I was bummed because we arrived too late and missed seeing our young friends on their unicycles, which their dad caught on video here. […]

#notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.
Pray and choose wisely.
Then invest deeply. May our compassion not just be limited to the West or to those that look like us. Lifting up the people of Iraq, Iran, and Kurdistan in prayer after the 7.3 earthquake - including the many new friends I met on a recent trip to Iraq.

The death toll rises to over 400 and over 7,000 injured in multiple cities and hundreds of villages along the Western border with Iraq.

Lord, in your mercy... We are reminded again and again...that we are Resurrection People living in a Dark Friday world.

It's been a tough, emotional, and painful week - especially as we lament the horrible tragedy of the church shootings at Sutherland Springs. In the midst of this lament, I've been carried by the hope, beauty, and promise of our baptisms last Sunday and the raw and honest testimonies of God's mercy, love, and grace.

Indeed, God is not yet done. May we take heart for Christ has overcome the world. "Without genuine relationships with the poor, we rob them of their dignity and they become mere projects. And God did not intend for anyone to become our projects." Grateful this quote from my book, Overrated, is resonating with so many folks - individuals and  NGOs. / design by @preemptivelove .
May we keep working
on ourselves
even as we seek
to change the world.
To be about the latter
without the former
is the great temptation
of our times. Minhee and I are filled with gratitude as we reflect on the @onedayswages gala last night. So many friends and guests came to support our work...and of course, our scrappy staff, interns, and board. In 8 years, we've impacted 561,000 people around the world that are living in extreme poverty and vulnerable situations. This year, we are expecting to have our largest investment of grants at $1.3 million! Over the next couple weeks, I'm going to share some of those stories of impact.

But we need your help to keep growing this work. Because our pledge is for 100% of all donations to go directly to our partnerships, we're asking folks from around the world to consider becoming one of core supporters by simply pledging $25/month to support our operations. Go to give.onedayswages.org for more info.

photo: @vinylee