the cho girls on unicycles

If my master plan of getting all three of my kids to and through college on Division I sports scholarships don’t pan out, there appears to be a Plan B.  The girls apparently might be able to qualify for some sort of unicycling scholarship at CTU – aka Clowning Technical University.

This past Sunday, they and about 60 of their elementary schoolmates participated in the Norwegian Constitution Day parade in Ballard – a neighborhood of Seattle with long Scandinavian roots.  Check out this two minute video below.  You’ll see both of my girls in a sea of probably about 60-70 unicyclists and you’ll even see a nasty fall. Seriously, I was really nervous because there were so many kids uncycling everywhere.

I’m going to show my girls this blog post so feel free to share some words of encouragement like:

• “Wow, your daddy is so cool. Never forget that.”
  • “Listen to your parents.”
  • “Boys have the cooties. Say no to boys.”

For those that are reading this via an RSS feeder, you can watch the video here.

Filed under: , , , , ,

1. eugenecho says:

Article in the Seattle Times:

One of our church members and church staff, Jennifer R., is quoted as a Norwegian wannabe. Very cool.

2. Ryan says:

That’s awesome. No dating until you’re 20 and remember, your dad can read your mind.

3. gar says:

Those kids got skills! Rock on.

Oh… and no matter what you think, your Dad knows everything. EVERYTHING. 🙂

4. melissa says:

J and T are awesome! 🙂

5. Rosalind Sciammas says:

You girls look great. I can’t wait to see where your courage, self-determination and excellent balancing techniques take you next.

I never really liked it when my parents would come to my school; I just didn’t think they were cool enough. So they stopped coming. If only my parents were as cool and famous as yours, I’d have footage of me on a unicycle too.

6. Sarah says:

Way to go Cho girls! That was fantastic!

The Moye Clan

7. […] Dog-sitting and Norway’s Constitution Day Parade in Ballard By leebenvic Last Sunday, we stopped by the parade in Ballard celebrating Norway’s Constitution Day. I was bummed because we arrived too late and missed seeing our young friends on their unicycles, which their dad caught on video here. […]

Preach the Gospel at all times and sometimes...use signs.

Really loved this sign from one of our church congregants at the women's march.

Counter cultural. Subversive.
Life giving. Good news. To support both the equality of women and the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but I know we're not alone. May we press on. And may we lead with hope.

I'm at the Women's March in Seattle to show my solidarity with my wife, my mothers, my daughters, and the female congregants of my church. I'm also here to model for my son what we believe in our home. Many people have already expressed their disappointment, dismay, and disgust with my decision. Such is life. We will always disappoint someone. And that's also a lot of words that begin with "d." I'm here not because I agree or disagree with every single statement or sign at this march (although I really liked this one) but because as a Christian, I believe in the fundamental truth that women are fearfully and wonderfully made in the image of God. They are to be valued, heard, and respected.

And because I believe we can't be a flourishing society without the flourishing of women. And because the Church cannot be the Church without the gifts and voices of women. All the gifts of women.

And in doing so, may we together honor the sanctity of life - from womb to tomb. Collaboration.

col·lab·o·ra·tion
kəˌlabəˈrāSH(ə)n/
noun

the action of working with someone or a group of others  to produce or create something.

May we hold our logos, egos, and tribalism have their place. May we hold them loosely for they too shall pass. May we collaborate for the sake of the greater Kingdom of God ... which endures forever. As we honor Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., don't forget the God behind the man. The one true God who deposited this dream into MLK is still speaking to us today. Are we listening?

Be courageous. Be brave.

Being invited by the King Family to speak at the MLK worship service at Ebenezer Baptist Church in 2016 remains one of the most unexpected honors of my life. On the right is his daughter, Dr. Bernice King and his sister, Dr. Christine King Farris. Walking throughstreet markets in different parts of the world is the best. Soaking in the culture. Listening to the local language and music. Enjoying the amazing cuisine. Meeting new friends. Praying for the Gospel to penetrate. #ChiangRai Blessed be the local, indigenous leaders for it is they who live in the very communities they seek to love. For it is they who understand their context and culture...better than a Westerner ever will. For it is they who will continue to tenaciously pursue a better world with hope, justice and love when visitors like me leave.

Yes, blessed be the local, indigenous leaders.

• Preach the Gospel at all times and sometimes...use signs. Countercultural. Subversive. Life giving. Truth. - instagram.com/p/BPlwJneBSiW/ || 4 hours ago
  • Really loved this sign from the women's march from one of our church congregants. Counter cultural. Subversive. L… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 1 day ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn can be lonely but we're not alone. Lead with hope: instagram.com/p/BPjMGTOhMjL/ || 1 day ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but we're not alone. May we press on. || 1 day ago
  • Going to the Women's March in Seattle bc as a Christian, I believe women are fearfully and wonderfully made and are to be heard & respected. || 1 day ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 1 day ago