the apple vs pc commercial wars

The debate between Apple vs PC will always rage on – particularly if you account for the higher costs of the Macbooks but how about them commercial wars!  They’ve certainly escalated with the “I’m a PC” commercials all over the place like the one below.  It’s nice but having Deepak Choprah killed it for me.

There’s numerous more out there.  They’re good, practical, some are cute, and they attempt to connect to “regular folks” like this “laptop hunter” commercials.  But is it just me or does Microsoft always seems to be a step or two behind Apple.

Computer hardware/software debate aside, what do you think?

Check out this new Apple commercial again making fun of the above PC commercials. It’s painfully hilarious because no matter what they throw at them, the Apple commercials always seem to one-up them.  products.

And this is the most annoying thing but I couldn’t stop watching it – twice:

Filed under: , , , , ,

1. adam says:

I have an iPod. My wife uses a Mac but honestly I’m not sold. The freedom of the PC lets you customize and add on what you need to whereas an Apple way of doing thing gets shoved down your throat by apple. Apple seems to have evolved into the big brother they smashed in 1984. Their hardware is underpowered for what you pay. Simple to use? Yes they are but so is my Windows. More of the world uses PCs. If innovative means cute commercials then yeah I guess they are, and if it means sharp designs they yes Apple is innovative. But charging out the wazoo for hardware when there is better and cheaper out there or locking people into solely the “Apple” way of doing things is ridiculous.

2. DK says:

This is simple. Apple has a better understanding of this and coming generations. How do we know? Because they actually set the trends.

3. Andy M says:

Apple definately has the “cool” factor over PC. Partially because historically it was usually business type of people using PCs, and artistic type people using Macs. The ads from Apple recently have just been reflecting that viewpoint, even though reality has changed a bit. Anymore, I think it is more about personal preference than performance and capability.

I’ve been curious about something I heard about Macs. Are they really less vulnerable to virus’s? I’ve heard that multiple times, but I wondered about the truth of it.

4. ubuntucat says:

I’m rather annoyed that the term PC has come to mean Windows PC, not because Macs are also PCs (which they are), but because it leaves Linux completely out of the picture.

People always ask “PC or Mac?” and what they really mean is “Windows PC or Mac PC?” I can’t really answer that, because I use a Linux PC.

None of these commercials really puts forward real advantages to either OS for everyone. It really comes down to needs and preferences. There are people I would recommend Macs for. There are people I would recommend Windows PCs for. And then there are people I would recommend Linux PCs for. There is no one-size-fits-all solution, and that’s why all these commercials are stupid.

5. @Andy M: yes, macs are far less vulnerable to viruses. A part of this is that there are fewer of them so they are less targeted but mostly this is because the Windows virus situation is inexcusably bad. Windows has documented, publicly-known holes in its security that go years without getting fixed.

@ubuntucat: spread the good news man, people have to know the truth. My good friend is a 2nd grade teacher and he just put Ubuntu on an old XP machine. It found all his hardware and even configured the wifi card that Windows had never figured out how to get working. Ubuntu (I hope) is the future.

@eugene: I really like that Windows ad at the top 🙂 “I’m a PC and I sell fish” made my morning.

6. Daniel Azuma says:

Apple’s really been hitting those commercials out of the park lately. If you’ve spent much time on certain news websites like cnn.com and nytimes.com, you may have seen their multiple-banner ads. These things are hilarious, and brilliantly executed. Unlike most website ads that most of us have learned to tune out, Apple’s ads tend to steal the show on any site they live on. Here are a few samples I saw on Youtube:

Watch that last one in HD full-screen so you can read PC’s list. It’s a hoot.

@AndyM: the answer to your virus question is: “yeah, sort of, but…” People will say that the main reason Windows has more viruses and malware is that it has a larger market share and so is a bigger target for the authors of such software. And that assessment is pretty much correct; if the market share situation were reversed, the relative amount of malware would radically shift. But for now, there’s no indication that such a market share reversal is likely to happen, so the current situation of macs being relatively safer is not likely to change.

As for which side is more inherently vulnerable from a technical standpoint, that is a more complex question, and even the experts will have differing opinions. I won’t embark on an extended analysis here. But the 10,000 foot summary may go like this. In the design of the operating system, there are ways in which Windows is more secure, and there are ways in which Macs are more secure. In most of the ways that seem to matter practically right now (that is, that translate into actual virus threats), Macs have the upper edge at this time. For example, the closed-ness that adam bemoans is actually a huge security advantage for Apple. However, neither is *inherently* safe. No matter which platform you use, you should always be diligent, back up regularly, think not twice but at least three or four times before opening email attachments, yada yada yada.

Here’s one of my favorite Apple ads, dealing with security:

7. jay says:

It shouldn’t be a surprise that the Apple commercials one-up Microsoft’s commercials, as Apple innovates while Microsoft poaches Apple’s innovations. Microsoft spends a ton of money on R & D and the best they can do is the Zune and Windows 7?!?!??

To all the engineers and designers over there in Redmond working on an iPhone competitor…give it up and spend more time making Windows 7 as good as OS X Lepoard.

8. J. P. says:

Worth thinking about with respect to the difference between security and safety: http://daringfireball.net/linked/2009/05/13/security-safety (John’s a good writer, if often a bit snarky)

9. Travis says:

really, the only ads that make me laugh are the mac ones. but in what they are saying, mac simply points out flaws. And as a “windows pc” user, i have yet to experience those flaws.

Mac comes with so much and that is why the prices are so high (i assume) but in reality, i get my hardware cheaper and then i can get my software cheaper. Free market, anyone? that is what Windows pcs work for, letting the user determine which features work best for them and getting them set up. by the time i have the comp working the way i want it, it is cheaper in the long run.

Plus, macs have the same run out time as PCs. MAc wants you to buy a new computer in the same amount of time you “have” to buy one on windows pcs. And when i “need” to replace one, i’d rather replace a windows pc.

10. Ken Wagner says:

The comment about innovation versus poaching might be a little overstated, but there’s no question that the GUI for Windows was lifted from Mac. As far as security, starting with the operating system, with the Mac you’ve got Filevault and Time Machine. Those two inclusions with the basic operating system are worth a lot of money. At Covenant midwinter, the presenter from Artisan Covenant Church on technology indicated that a Mac was worth about $1,000 more than a comparable PC out of the box.

11. J. P. says:

@Travis, I don’t know about “run out time”–I’ve got a 7-year-old iMac (bought Jan 2002) that we still use daily for web browsing, word processing, and playing music. And I’ve got a 12-year-old PowerBook 3400c that is still fun to use for the occasional need to run pre-OS X software or just for sheer nostalgia. My current workhorse, a MacBook Pro from Feb 2007, runs faster now than when I bought it, thanks to Leopard, and I fully expect performance to improve with Snow Leopard later this summer/fall.

I’m honestly glad you don’t have issues with Windows. I think the only reason I haven’t had much trouble with my virtualized installations in recent years is that I generally avoid using the internet on them for anything but Microsoft updates (of which typically dozens have accrued in between my typically bi-monthly visits). But when I used to use a Windows PC at work in the early 2000s, I found myself rebooting at least once a day to restore stability and responsivity.

I have run virus and malware utilities on my Macs in the past, but have stopped since I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times they actually turned up positives (almost all of which were embedded in MS Office files). But I always insist on having reliable, up-to-date protection on my PC-using clients. It can sometimes take me a couple hours to clean a client’s infected machine–something I have never had to do in over 25 years of working with Macs.

12. J. P. says:

@Ken Wagner I love how matter-of-factly Jobs stated Windows’ debt to the Mac in his commencement address at Stanford in 2005, speaking about elegant typography, “Windows just copied the Mac” (well worth the 15 minutes to watch free via iTunes if you’ve never seen it.)

13. Ken Wagner says:

@Travis I recently brought the OS for my 2002 Mac laptop up to current (10.5.6) and gave it to my adult daughter who is a certified teacher and home school mom. While it is slower than my 3 year old MacBook, it still gets the job done, and is able to use all the programs she needs to run. The big advantage that I’ve found using Macs since 1984 has been their lifespan. I still have a functioning G-3 desktop, though I’ve abandoned my Duo and its Dock several years ago. And as others have stated above, the only viruses I’ve ever dealt with have come from Windows versions of Microsoft Office documents, and my Intego Virus Barrier identifies them and quarantines them.

I have never had to reformat a hard drive in one of my Macs–something that has been all too frequent with Windows based PC’s.

14. J. P. says:

@Ken, ah, the Duo brings back memories.

I’m in the middle of cleaning up a client’s Dell XPS M140 laptop that is full of malware. Two hours and counting… and that’s assuming we won’t have to reformat in the end.

15. art says:

not much to say here that hasn’t already been said.

but one thing that many people overlook when related to cost is resale value. if you’re like me and tend to upgrade every few years, macs hold their value much than comparable dell or hp machines. that in itself could reverse the cost difference (which really isn’t there to begin with when comparing machines with the same graphics, cpu, and form factor).

16. joel says:

I converted to Mac a year ago. Love it and won’t go back. On the virus issue == there may be all sorts of technical comparisons and you can argue about market share but heres the deal: Mac’s don’t even use antivirus software! for the most part my non-tecnical reading of it is that built into the OS is a simple device that REQUIRES a second password entry. you can’t install anything without it. . .

viola. . . no viruses.

The PC response adds make me laugh largely because they are a caricature of the pc guy in the Mac adds that is a caricature of the PC world in the first place. full circle irony baby. Apple should give them money to produce more responses!

17. Brandy says:

The PC commercials are lame. In my opinion, the commercials only discuss the price difference between Mac and PC and I would rather pay more money to have a workable machine. I bought my first iMac in August 2008 and I will never buy a PC. The coolest machine ever and I can’t wait to get my MacBook Pro.

Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest Took a train to Busan. Did not encounter any zombies but I was ready just in case.

Busan. First visit to this city (couple weeks ago) and was blown away by its beauty. Also, shocked that it has become the fifth largest containment port city in the world. That's a lot of import and export.

#MyAttemptToBeTheBestSmartphonePhotographer
#Pusan #SouthKorea

• Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 22 hours ago
  • Father, bless these Iraqi and Syrian refugee children that have already endured so much. As we pray, teach us how t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 2 days ago
  • Pray for Iraq. Pray for persecuted Church, minority groups (Yezidis) and Muslims alike who are suffering under ISIS: instagram.com/p/BZF2j6Ngrna/ || 2 days ago
  • "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." - a local Iraqi priest || 3 days ago
  • I've been traveling through Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan. Meeting local pastors/leaders, NGOs, and refugees. Join us on IG… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 3 days ago
  • Seeking justice is part of our discipleship. In other words, seek justice not just to change the world...but to be changed more like Christ. || 6 days ago