my official announcement to enter into politics

I am back from a few days in Washington DC thanks to the generosity of the ONE CAMPAIGN.  Also, spent some great time with the staff of Sojourners.  But the main reason why I went to Washington DC was to meet with my political consultants and constituents and to declare my intent to enter into politics.  Here’s my official video announcement appropriately in front of the White House.  I hope I can count on your support in 2012!

If you’re reading this via a RSS reader, you’ll need to click here to watch the video:

But alas, my wife, Minhee, again keeps it real and reminds me I am ineligible to run for the President of the United States since I wasn’t born in the U.S.  Where’s the Governator Schwarzenegger when you need him?

In between some great learning sessions on “mobilization to end poverty” and great conversations with the staff of ONE, Sojourners, Jim Wallis, Brian McLaren, Soong Chan Rah, Debbie Blue, and many other great conversations, Minhee and I had a small window to do some sightseeing.  Here are some pics:

The National Treasury.  I went to ask for my bailout but the statue didn’t respond.

the national treasury

The White House.  No sightings of the President, First Lady, the kids, or even the first dog.

p1020040

I texted but President Obama didn’t respond to my text message.  I’m beginning to think that we’re not friends.  The gate never opened up.

p1020041

Minhee and I loved sitting here and soaking in the beautiful weather and the sight of the Washington Monument and took a few cool photos.

Washington Monument

Washington Monument

Washington Monument

And the highlight of the short excursion was the visit to the Lincoln Memorial.

Lincoln Memorial

Filed under: , , , ,

1. The Chiz says:

Man… I was getting ready to make several thousand “Vote For PE CHO” t shirts. It worked for Pedro, right?

2. Cynthia says:

Make the shirts, I want one!

3. Tyler says:

great pics. sorry about the bad news during your announcement.

4. iy says:

the korean war memorial is really moving. sorry obama didn’t text you back. he missed out, huh. opportunity only knocks once, or whatever the saying is.

5. eugenecho says:

@iy: it was. we spent some time there and saving those pics for another post.

as for where we ate: ben’s chili bowl was the only one of note. we ate a cheap chinese restaurant 2 blocks from our hotel. didn’t really have too much time to explore the city.

6. Jason Douros says:

Ah the monuments. Reminds me of nearly every field trip in Elementary and Middle school.

Growing up in the area, you lose some of the appreciation for the whole scene when you see them at least once or twice every year.

Thanks for the fresh look at them.

Cryptological Museum at the NSA is pretty cool too.

7. eugenecho says:

@jason douros: it was beautiful but i don’t miss the east coast humidity. it was there in full force on mon/tuesday. think it was close to 85-90. yuck.

8. Maren says:

During my visit a year ago, the Lincoln memorial was also my favorite part. I got really emotional, which was something I was not expecting. Then when I went back on my last day, I cried again! All the tourists thought I was weird.

I really enjoyed your pictures though. Makes me want to go back!

9. djchuang says:

Used to have Washington DC in my back yard, for years. Still an awe-inspiring place. You’ve got a great photographer there with you.

And, I am DJ Chuang.

10. eugenecho says:

dj: it was so muggy though and it was only april! i certainly don’t miss the humid days of NJ.

the pics were taken by moi and moi wife. not bad for a point and shoot.

11. […] are not alone: an interview with jim wallis Recently, I had the privilege of spending some time in Washington DC – where I also announced my entrance (and short lived) into politics. There, I met some old […]

12. […] I had the privilege of spending some time in Washington DC – where I also announced my entrance (and short lived career) into politics. There, I met some old […]

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• "They got money for wars but can't feed the poor." ~ Tupac #trumpbudget || 7 hours ago
  • Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 1 day ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 3 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 4 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 4 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 5 days ago