my official announcement to enter into politics

I am back from a few days in Washington DC thanks to the generosity of the ONE CAMPAIGN.  Also, spent some great time with the staff of Sojourners.  But the main reason why I went to Washington DC was to meet with my political consultants and constituents and to declare my intent to enter into politics.  Here’s my official video announcement appropriately in front of the White House.  I hope I can count on your support in 2012!

If you’re reading this via a RSS reader, you’ll need to click here to watch the video:

But alas, my wife, Minhee, again keeps it real and reminds me I am ineligible to run for the President of the United States since I wasn’t born in the U.S.  Where’s the Governator Schwarzenegger when you need him?

In between some great learning sessions on “mobilization to end poverty” and great conversations with the staff of ONE, Sojourners, Jim Wallis, Brian McLaren, Soong Chan Rah, Debbie Blue, and many other great conversations, Minhee and I had a small window to do some sightseeing.  Here are some pics:

The National Treasury.  I went to ask for my bailout but the statue didn’t respond.

the national treasury

The White House.  No sightings of the President, First Lady, the kids, or even the first dog.

p1020040

I texted but President Obama didn’t respond to my text message.  I’m beginning to think that we’re not friends.  The gate never opened up.

p1020041

Minhee and I loved sitting here and soaking in the beautiful weather and the sight of the Washington Monument and took a few cool photos.

Washington Monument

Washington Monument

Washington Monument

And the highlight of the short excursion was the visit to the Lincoln Memorial.

Lincoln Memorial

Filed under: , , , ,

1. The Chiz says:

Man… I was getting ready to make several thousand “Vote For PE CHO” t shirts. It worked for Pedro, right?

2. Cynthia says:

Make the shirts, I want one!

3. Tyler says:

great pics. sorry about the bad news during your announcement.

4. iy says:

the korean war memorial is really moving. sorry obama didn’t text you back. he missed out, huh. opportunity only knocks once, or whatever the saying is.

5. eugenecho says:

@iy: it was. we spent some time there and saving those pics for another post.

as for where we ate: ben’s chili bowl was the only one of note. we ate a cheap chinese restaurant 2 blocks from our hotel. didn’t really have too much time to explore the city.

6. Jason Douros says:

Ah the monuments. Reminds me of nearly every field trip in Elementary and Middle school.

Growing up in the area, you lose some of the appreciation for the whole scene when you see them at least once or twice every year.

Thanks for the fresh look at them.

Cryptological Museum at the NSA is pretty cool too.

7. eugenecho says:

@jason douros: it was beautiful but i don’t miss the east coast humidity. it was there in full force on mon/tuesday. think it was close to 85-90. yuck.

8. Maren says:

During my visit a year ago, the Lincoln memorial was also my favorite part. I got really emotional, which was something I was not expecting. Then when I went back on my last day, I cried again! All the tourists thought I was weird.

I really enjoyed your pictures though. Makes me want to go back!

9. djchuang says:

Used to have Washington DC in my back yard, for years. Still an awe-inspiring place. You’ve got a great photographer there with you.

And, I am DJ Chuang.

10. eugenecho says:

dj: it was so muggy though and it was only april! i certainly don’t miss the humid days of NJ.

the pics were taken by moi and moi wife. not bad for a point and shoot.

11. […] are not alone: an interview with jim wallis Recently, I had the privilege of spending some time in Washington DC – where I also announced my entrance (and short lived) into politics. There, I met some old […]

12. […] I had the privilege of spending some time in Washington DC – where I also announced my entrance (and short lived career) into politics. There, I met some old […]

You can do it, sun. Break through the clouds. I love her. Saturday morning date at Pike Market with @minheejcho. Enjoying the final day of sun before 6 months of rain and gray. Not lol'ing. Some of my moat memorable travels have been to Myanmar (otherwise known as Burma). In fact, the vision of @onedayswages began on my first visit to this country in 2006. On a recent visit, I began learning about the Rohingya people. Sadly, it has escalated to horrendous, genocidal proportions.

Thus far, about 500,000 people have been driven out from Myanmar through violence...with most going to Bangledesh...regulated to a massive refugee camp. Stateless. Undocumented. Minority groups. Dehumanized. Homes and villages destroyed. And so much more unspeakable atrocities.

Yes, it's complex and messy. It always is. But the root of this injustice as the case for so much brokeness in the world is the sin of dehumanizing one anotber as..."the other." May we see each person, including the Rohingya people, as one who is created in the image of God. It's the truth and the remedy to the incessant dehumanization that goes on in our world.

Lord, in your mercy. The obedience of discipleship which includes the work of justice is a marathon. It's long, arduous, and emotional. Be tenacious. But also take care of yourself. Create healthy rhythms. Don't burn out. We need you for the marathon. Friends, don't give up. Press on. In the midst of so much chaos in the world, may we continue to cling to the hope of the whole Gospel. May we cling unto Jesus:

Way maker!
Miracle worker!
Promise keeper!
Light in the darkness!
That is who You are!

What an encounter with the Holy Spirit at @seattlequest today. Grateful for our worship team, the gospel choir, and the Audio/Visual team. Thank you Matt, Teresita, and Chris. Please thank all the volunteers for us. .
The world is broken.
But God is not yet done.
God's work of restoration