my official announcement to enter into politics

I am back from a few days in Washington DC thanks to the generosity of the ONE CAMPAIGN.  Also, spent some great time with the staff of Sojourners.  But the main reason why I went to Washington DC was to meet with my political consultants and constituents and to declare my intent to enter into politics.  Here’s my official video announcement appropriately in front of the White House.  I hope I can count on your support in 2012!

If you’re reading this via a RSS reader, you’ll need to click here to watch the video:

But alas, my wife, Minhee, again keeps it real and reminds me I am ineligible to run for the President of the United States since I wasn’t born in the U.S.  Where’s the Governator Schwarzenegger when you need him?

In between some great learning sessions on “mobilization to end poverty” and great conversations with the staff of ONE, Sojourners, Jim Wallis, Brian McLaren, Soong Chan Rah, Debbie Blue, and many other great conversations, Minhee and I had a small window to do some sightseeing.  Here are some pics:

The National Treasury.  I went to ask for my bailout but the statue didn’t respond.

the national treasury

The White House.  No sightings of the President, First Lady, the kids, or even the first dog.

p1020040

I texted but President Obama didn’t respond to my text message.  I’m beginning to think that we’re not friends.  The gate never opened up.

p1020041

Minhee and I loved sitting here and soaking in the beautiful weather and the sight of the Washington Monument and took a few cool photos.

Washington Monument

Washington Monument

Washington Monument

And the highlight of the short excursion was the visit to the Lincoln Memorial.

Lincoln Memorial

Filed under: , , , ,

1. The Chiz says:

Man… I was getting ready to make several thousand “Vote For PE CHO” t shirts. It worked for Pedro, right?

2. Cynthia says:

Make the shirts, I want one!

3. Tyler says:

great pics. sorry about the bad news during your announcement.

4. iy says:

the korean war memorial is really moving. sorry obama didn’t text you back. he missed out, huh. opportunity only knocks once, or whatever the saying is.

5. eugenecho says:

@iy: it was. we spent some time there and saving those pics for another post.

as for where we ate: ben’s chili bowl was the only one of note. we ate a cheap chinese restaurant 2 blocks from our hotel. didn’t really have too much time to explore the city.

6. Jason Douros says:

Ah the monuments. Reminds me of nearly every field trip in Elementary and Middle school.

Growing up in the area, you lose some of the appreciation for the whole scene when you see them at least once or twice every year.

Thanks for the fresh look at them.

Cryptological Museum at the NSA is pretty cool too.

7. eugenecho says:

@jason douros: it was beautiful but i don’t miss the east coast humidity. it was there in full force on mon/tuesday. think it was close to 85-90. yuck.

8. Maren says:

During my visit a year ago, the Lincoln memorial was also my favorite part. I got really emotional, which was something I was not expecting. Then when I went back on my last day, I cried again! All the tourists thought I was weird.

I really enjoyed your pictures though. Makes me want to go back!

9. djchuang says:

Used to have Washington DC in my back yard, for years. Still an awe-inspiring place. You’ve got a great photographer there with you.

And, I am DJ Chuang.

10. eugenecho says:

dj: it was so muggy though and it was only april! i certainly don’t miss the humid days of NJ.

the pics were taken by moi and moi wife. not bad for a point and shoot.

11. […] are not alone: an interview with jim wallis Recently, I had the privilege of spending some time in Washington DC – where I also announced my entrance (and short lived) into politics. There, I met some old […]

12. […] I had the privilege of spending some time in Washington DC – where I also announced my entrance (and short lived career) into politics. There, I met some old […]

"He Makes All Things New." In other words, Christ is our eternal hope. I'm sitting in my swinging bench on the comforts of my front porch after an exhilarating and exhausting day at church. It never gets tiring, stale, or old to preach and proclaim the good news of the Gospel - not just on Resurrection Sunday but every week as we gather as the body of Christ.

But it was this picture of Coptic Christians in Egypt pouring into churches on Easter Sunday that deeply moved my heart...just a week after two churches were bombed by ISIS terrorists taking 45 lives and injuring hundreds.

Even in the face of persecution and suffering, I'm so grateful for the witness of these sisters and brothers in Christ. May they be comforted and strengthened...and wherever you are reading this post, stay encouraged. Be faithful and steadfast. Don't give up. May we keep running the race set before us as we fix our eyes on Christ.

It's not just there. It's all over the world...God is still at work. The Holy Spirit is still moving. God is not yet done. There's only one explanation:
Christ has risen! He has risen, indeed! Jesus is alive! Hallelujah! #OneChurch Remember, there is no Resurrection without the Crucifixion; No Easter Sunday without Passion Friday; No empty tomb without the Cross.

So, before we move too swiftly to the celebration of the risen Christ, may we sit at the foot of the Cross...and consider the depths of His sacrifice and love. "Oh, what love is this..." Just when we think we get what it means to follow Him, Jesus washes the feet of His disciples including...the one He knew would betray Him,

and the one that would deny him,

and the others that would abandon Him in His greatest need.

What amazing love.
What amazing grace. Oh. What. Amazing. Grace. M(inhee) + E(ugene). Not taking anything for granted. 20 years = 7300 days = 175,200 hours. A flourishing  marriage doesn't just happen. The idea that two Christians who choose to get married will produce a Christ honoring marriage is a gigantic myth. Its also extremely dangerous. The truth is that it takes so much intentionality and work. Intimacy definitely includes physical touch but is not only about physical touch. We have to pray, read, listen, learn, mutually submit, confess, forgive, repent, laugh, dream, rest, play, and the list goes on.

In other words, we have to keep Christ at the center because it's inevitable, there's a lot of messing up. So much messing up. It's both beautiful and painful and without grace, it's impossible.

Grateful. Thank you, Jesus, for your grace. And thank you, Minhee...

• It's not Easter. Crowds may be smaller. But may we preach the Gospel w/ deep conviction; That we truly believe that the tomb is still empty. || 4 hours ago
  • Looking for a church in Seattle? Join us tomorrow to hear a word from this woman of God. The tomb is still empty! twitter.com/LizVerHage/sta… || 7 hours ago
  • The degradation of our environment impacts all but the reality is that poor communities suffer most...perpetuating the injustice of poverty. || 14 hours ago
  • Caring for God's creation should always be part of our stewardship. In other words, it's not optional but an essential part of discipleship. || 16 hours ago
  • Fantastic @CTmagazine piece about @gailsongbantum, Executive Pastor @SeattleQuest. Inspired by her story/leadership: christianitytoday.com/women-leaders/… || 1 day ago
  • Lifting up prayers for the 3 police officers shot today in Seattle while responding to robbery; For their families & entire law enforcement. || 2 days ago