your city and your ideal future home?

feature-92-seattle31

In light of Seattle being named ‘City of the Year’ by Fast Company magazine (article below), let’s begin a new week with a community building post.  A ‘community building’ post is an invitation to get off the sidelilnes and write a comment.  Share your answer and a bit of yourself.

Here’s the question:

Where do you currently live?  Do you like your current city/town? And if you could live anywhere else in the world (not visit but actually live), where would that be?

My answer: Obviously, I live in Seattle.  We are heading towards our 12 year anniversary in Seattle this June.  It’s amazing to think that nearly 12 years ago, Minhee and I packed up our station wagon (about 5 months after getting married) and made our way to Seattle – not quite certain what the future would hold.  I shared more about why I love Seattle here.  Many of you also shared your answers for the world’s most beautiful city.

If I could live anywhere, my choices:  1) San Francisco [because of family], 2) San Diego [because I want to know what it feels like to live in regular sun], and 3) Barcelona or Madrid [because I can speak Spanish and this would be an absolute new start] and 4) back to Seoul, Korea [food, food, food].

How about you?

Here’s the article from Fast Company naming Seattle it’s City of the Year

When Fast Company named Seattle its 2009 City of the Year — based on the city’s creativity, the editors said — surely, I thought, the weather and the winters must have had something to do with it. Our winters are dark: At 47 degrees latitude, the winter solstice brings sundown at 4:21 p.m. and sunrise at 7:54 a.m. Our winters are gray: While we get only 38 inches of rain per year — less than New York or Boston, Houston or Atlanta — we average 154 days of precipitation. Our winters are long: Cloudy season begins in October and lasts into June; we boast an average of 226 cloudy days a year.

But consider the bounty those long, dark, damp winters have provided the world. There’s Starbucks, Microsoft, Amazon and its Kindling, Boeing jets, Frango mints, Pearl Jam, Costco, Jones Soda, Jimi Hendrix, salmon jerky. That’s an impressive list for a city of just 600,000 people tucked in a remote corner of America, wedged tightly between two mountain ranges, and pushed up against the cold, deep Puget Sound.

Now, in our nation’s economic winter, Seattle’s multifaceted economy and forward-thinking business climate have given the city a little extra insulation; the jobless rate in January was 6.8%, more than a percentage point better than the national average. This is the kind of city that will thrive and lead us into recovery.

So I set out to explore why, exactly, so many creative, influential minds — both native and transplanted, from Quincy Jones to Bill and Melinda Gates, Cameron Crowe to Sir Mix-a-Lot — who have contributed so much to the world, love this city and call it home. [read full article]

Filed under: , , , , ,

1. Josh says:

I currently live in Orange County. It’s warm and beautiful but I do miss the seasons.

If I could live anywhere, my two choices would be NYC or Beijing.

2. Chad says:

I currently live in Raleigh, NC.

I would love to live in Manitou Springs, CO or Washington D.C.

3. Drew says:

I live in the DC area. (Great cultural setting but terrible traffic and hot summers!) I’ve love to live in Fort Collins, CO.

4. reJoyce says:

We’ve been in the Dallas/Fort Worth area for the past two years.

Rather than picking one place, I’d like to be able to continue to move around and live in places I haven’t yet. I suppose when I get too feeble to continue to do that, I’d like to live near the Mediterranean Sea.

5. Matt says:

I’ve lived in baltimore for 8 years, and I’ve loved this city for the past 7.5 years. I’m getting to a point where I’m just being disillisioned and increasingly pessimistic about this city. It’s just been pretty sad watching this city with so much potential stagnate, and fall over and over again to drugs, crime, and corruption.

I would love to move colorado, utah, oregon, or washington simply because of the proximity to nature (I love the outdoors in all seasons), but ultimately, I know that my real home is in heaven (i know… i know… cheesy christian answer – but not cuz i’m trying to be cheesy christian, but just because, I know that i’ll never escape the things that bring my city down wherever I go. other places just mask it a little better (ok, a lot better))…

6. steve s says:

right where I am at…

It’s the best place to be!

7. dan says:

I wish magazines would stop writing stuff like this. We have already had about 100,000 people move into Seattle over the past decade (mostly as a result of the movie Singles???). Not that I am saying no one can move to Seattle, just don’t honk your horn in non emergency situations.

Not cool.

Other than the new horn blowers, Seattle is where it’s at.

8. hilarybarnett says:

I’ve lived in Nashville for three years now, and truly love it. The seasons usually last a perfect 3 months each, so not too long that you get sick of one. The rollings hills are beautiful, and you are less than 2 hours from mountains, hiking, cliff jumping, and beautiful vistas. People are genuinely friendly for the most part, and men still hold the door for you. 🙂 (I had to get used to that coming from the North!) There is live music going on every night of the week, and always neat cultural activities, volunteer opportunities, and great universities. The only other place I think I might consider living is out west (san fransisco or l.a.)- but I would miss the seasons.

9. Mike says:

I’ve lived in San Diego for 2 years now (after a 4 year hiatus in San Antonio). I think I would be perfectly content spending the rest of my life hear. Beautiful weather, beaches, friendly (for the most part) people, great diversity, plenty of culture and great restaraunts…now if only the cost of living would go down, so that someday, maybe, I’ll be able to buy a house…

10. eugenecho says:

@reJoyce: nice. one of my dreams is to sell everything, get a RV, and live around North and Central America.

@dan: c’mon! i thought philly would be #1 for you.

@mike: homes aren’t affordable right now w/ the housing market downturn?

11. anne says:

I live in St Paul, MN. Grew up on the east side, and returned after college to intentionally live in the hood near my work and church.

St Paul has some of the highest populations of Somali, Ethiopian, and/or Oromo immigrants and Hmong people. We have a progressive educational system and lots of other perks. We have the woods and the city mixed close together!

I think I love this place because my heart is here. Where would I move? To a place my heart goes. Right now, that’s here or Culiacan, Mexico.

12. Jay Johnson says:

Raised most of my kids is Seattle, loved it then in the 70’s and 80’s. It was clean, fun and so much to do. Traffic was not unbearable, but getting there. Now I live in Bellingham, and it’s clean, fun, close to the water, surrounded by mountains, and traffic is picking up, so I’m not the only one who has discovered it. Too many places to chose from, anywhere with a mild temp and very close to an ocean.

13. Jay Johnson says:

House prices have been jacked-up for years, it’s good to see the prices coming into reality with worth, and back to an affordable range.

14. Richard says:

Another St. Paul resident here, and quite frankly I love it.

If I were to live somewhere else, probably Jamaica or Trinidad (two places where I’ve lived before). Within the U.S., I really liked DC when I went to visit.

15. Mike levitt says:

Living in Amherstburg, Ontario. Originally from the Metro Detroit area, and also lived in the Chicago area for 6 years, so same weather, different currency and culture.

Love San Diego, and would love to live there one day, but I feel God wants me where I am right now, so I’ll listen to Him.

16. abramjanson says:

Currently: Indiana.

In the future… Anywhere without cornfields. 🙂 but seriously… New Zealand

17. Barry says:

I live in Murfreesboro, dead center of TN. It’s ok but not as pretty as east TN in the Smokies.

If I could live anywhere: Seattle (I move there in August), Portland, Denver and maybe Minneapolis.

18. Kacie says:

Currently live in Dallas, and I dislike it. Nothing personal, it’s just uninteresting.

If I could live in anywhere? Oh man… Oxford, England because the place just oozes history, intelligence, and quaintness out of every corner.

Or maybe Jayapura, Indonesia, because it’s home and right between gorgeous beaches and a beautiful mountain and has the most beautiful sunsets in the world…

or maybe a small town in the Alps…. because…. it’s the alps.

*sigh*…
    how about anywhere but Dallas?

19. josephcastillo says:

I live in the Bay Area, but I would love to move back to Seattle. It is the best city in America.

20. James says:

Currently live in Syracuse, NY.

If I could live anywhere, I’d move to Coruscant, in a galaxy far, far away.

21. your friend says:

I live in Seoul. Pretty polluted. Yellow dust with chemicals come over from China regularly in spring.

Also, Seoul is pretty overcrowded, which makes you feel jammed in.

Nevertheless, I WANT to be here, because God wants me here and because the person I love most is right beside me, and together we mingle with the crowd, share Jesus… exciting!

22. Carrie says:

I’m a Michigan girl. I’ve traveled a lot, seen a lot of places that are “supposed” to be prettier, but honestly, I love love love it here. The seasons are so colorful, each one, full of texture and richness.

23. Ruth says:

I live in Belfast Northern Ireland. I love it here, the people and their sense of humour (the craic) is great. The scenery is fantastaic. BUT its rains, a lot, and so only for the weather i would love to live in the south of France (well the food and wine might have something to do with it as well)

24. Rusty says:

Boston is by far the best city in the United States (no offense, Seattle, but a lot of people know that. I think the best kept secret among American cities is Kansas City. You get all four seasons, beautiful rolling hills and rivers, a world-class farmer’s market, more fountains than any city in the world save Rome, great parks, affordable houses, zero traffic, tremendous racial/ethnic diversity, fascinating history and architecture, incredible museums (including the Negro Leagues Baseball Hall of Fame and the National World War I museum), vibrant professional sports scene, excellent jazz clubs, and the best bbq in the country. And you’re dead center in the middle of the United States so any corner of the country is as easily accessible as the next. What else could you want in a city?

25. Peter K says:

I cannot believe that no one has mentioned Hawaii. It’s US soil, beautiful (almost magical), and half way between Asia and California. You can also eat SPAM openly, preferably between some rice and seaweed.

26. Andy Larsen says:

Eugene. I didn’t know you knew Spanish. That’s cool. I live in Seattle too [for the rest that didn’t know] and for the most part love it. The drawbacks have been duly noted in the Fast Company article. The best way to deal with the rain is to just get out in it. Don’t let it limit plans.

If I could, I would live in Barcelona, where we lived for a year. More sun, less rain, great transit system, connected to the rest of Europe, the Mediterranean, N. Africa. Need I say anymore. 2nd choice would be somewhere in Mexico, like San Miguel de Allende or somewhere on the Pacific coast.

27. Andy Larsen says:

If I could, I would live in Barcelona, where we lived for a year. More sun, less rain, great transit system, connected to the rest of Europe, the Mediterranean, N. Africa. Need I say more. 2nd choice would be somewhere in Mexico, like San Miguel de Allende or somewhere on the Pacific coast.

28. Rebecca says:

I’m a Seattle native, born and bred, and absolutely love this city in all its damp glory. The mountains, the trees, the water, the weather, the culture, the music, the unique personality of the city. Can’t ever see myself living anywhere else.

I never want to leave, but if I was going to live somewhere else, I suppose it would be San Francisco, New York, or somewhere in Scotland.

29. mattbusby says:

My wife and I currently live outside of Tampa. We are eyeing Chattanooga, TN as our next local. Its small but still has an urban feel, 4 seasons, and plenty of outdoors!

Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. Thanks for your prayers.
I have numerous stories to share but for now, the following came up in every conversation with Iraqi/Syrian refugees:

1 Have tea with us. Or coffee. Or juice. Or something with lots of sugar in it. Or better yet, all of the above.
2 We want peace. We want security.
3 We hate ISIS.
4 We just want to go home.
5 Please don't forget us.

Please don't forget them... Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest

• Boom. Final fishing trip. Grateful. A nice way to end my 3 month sabbatical. #catchandrelease twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 1 day ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 1 day ago
  • Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 4 days ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 4 days ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 4 days ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 6 days ago