your city and your ideal future home?

feature-92-seattle31

In light of Seattle being named ‘City of the Year’ by Fast Company magazine (article below), let’s begin a new week with a community building post.  A ‘community building’ post is an invitation to get off the sidelilnes and write a comment.  Share your answer and a bit of yourself.

Here’s the question:

Where do you currently live?  Do you like your current city/town? And if you could live anywhere else in the world (not visit but actually live), where would that be?

My answer: Obviously, I live in Seattle.  We are heading towards our 12 year anniversary in Seattle this June.  It’s amazing to think that nearly 12 years ago, Minhee and I packed up our station wagon (about 5 months after getting married) and made our way to Seattle – not quite certain what the future would hold.  I shared more about why I love Seattle here.  Many of you also shared your answers for the world’s most beautiful city.

If I could live anywhere, my choices:  1) San Francisco [because of family], 2) San Diego [because I want to know what it feels like to live in regular sun], and 3) Barcelona or Madrid [because I can speak Spanish and this would be an absolute new start] and 4) back to Seoul, Korea [food, food, food].

How about you?

Here’s the article from Fast Company naming Seattle it’s City of the Year

When Fast Company named Seattle its 2009 City of the Year — based on the city’s creativity, the editors said — surely, I thought, the weather and the winters must have had something to do with it. Our winters are dark: At 47 degrees latitude, the winter solstice brings sundown at 4:21 p.m. and sunrise at 7:54 a.m. Our winters are gray: While we get only 38 inches of rain per year — less than New York or Boston, Houston or Atlanta — we average 154 days of precipitation. Our winters are long: Cloudy season begins in October and lasts into June; we boast an average of 226 cloudy days a year.

But consider the bounty those long, dark, damp winters have provided the world. There’s Starbucks, Microsoft, Amazon and its Kindling, Boeing jets, Frango mints, Pearl Jam, Costco, Jones Soda, Jimi Hendrix, salmon jerky. That’s an impressive list for a city of just 600,000 people tucked in a remote corner of America, wedged tightly between two mountain ranges, and pushed up against the cold, deep Puget Sound.

Now, in our nation’s economic winter, Seattle’s multifaceted economy and forward-thinking business climate have given the city a little extra insulation; the jobless rate in January was 6.8%, more than a percentage point better than the national average. This is the kind of city that will thrive and lead us into recovery.

So I set out to explore why, exactly, so many creative, influential minds — both native and transplanted, from Quincy Jones to Bill and Melinda Gates, Cameron Crowe to Sir Mix-a-Lot — who have contributed so much to the world, love this city and call it home. [read full article]

Filed under: , , , , ,

1. Josh says:

I currently live in Orange County. It’s warm and beautiful but I do miss the seasons.

If I could live anywhere, my two choices would be NYC or Beijing.

2. Chad says:

I currently live in Raleigh, NC.

I would love to live in Manitou Springs, CO or Washington D.C.

3. Drew says:

I live in the DC area. (Great cultural setting but terrible traffic and hot summers!) I’ve love to live in Fort Collins, CO.

4. reJoyce says:

We’ve been in the Dallas/Fort Worth area for the past two years.

Rather than picking one place, I’d like to be able to continue to move around and live in places I haven’t yet. I suppose when I get too feeble to continue to do that, I’d like to live near the Mediterranean Sea.

5. Matt says:

I’ve lived in baltimore for 8 years, and I’ve loved this city for the past 7.5 years. I’m getting to a point where I’m just being disillisioned and increasingly pessimistic about this city. It’s just been pretty sad watching this city with so much potential stagnate, and fall over and over again to drugs, crime, and corruption.

I would love to move colorado, utah, oregon, or washington simply because of the proximity to nature (I love the outdoors in all seasons), but ultimately, I know that my real home is in heaven (i know… i know… cheesy christian answer – but not cuz i’m trying to be cheesy christian, but just because, I know that i’ll never escape the things that bring my city down wherever I go. other places just mask it a little better (ok, a lot better))…

6. steve s says:

right where I am at…

It’s the best place to be!

7. dan says:

I wish magazines would stop writing stuff like this. We have already had about 100,000 people move into Seattle over the past decade (mostly as a result of the movie Singles???). Not that I am saying no one can move to Seattle, just don’t honk your horn in non emergency situations.

Not cool.

Other than the new horn blowers, Seattle is where it’s at.

8. hilarybarnett says:

I’ve lived in Nashville for three years now, and truly love it. The seasons usually last a perfect 3 months each, so not too long that you get sick of one. The rollings hills are beautiful, and you are less than 2 hours from mountains, hiking, cliff jumping, and beautiful vistas. People are genuinely friendly for the most part, and men still hold the door for you. 🙂 (I had to get used to that coming from the North!) There is live music going on every night of the week, and always neat cultural activities, volunteer opportunities, and great universities. The only other place I think I might consider living is out west (san fransisco or l.a.)- but I would miss the seasons.

9. Mike says:

I’ve lived in San Diego for 2 years now (after a 4 year hiatus in San Antonio). I think I would be perfectly content spending the rest of my life hear. Beautiful weather, beaches, friendly (for the most part) people, great diversity, plenty of culture and great restaraunts…now if only the cost of living would go down, so that someday, maybe, I’ll be able to buy a house…

10. eugenecho says:

@reJoyce: nice. one of my dreams is to sell everything, get a RV, and live around North and Central America.

@dan: c’mon! i thought philly would be #1 for you.

@mike: homes aren’t affordable right now w/ the housing market downturn?

11. anne says:

I live in St Paul, MN. Grew up on the east side, and returned after college to intentionally live in the hood near my work and church.

St Paul has some of the highest populations of Somali, Ethiopian, and/or Oromo immigrants and Hmong people. We have a progressive educational system and lots of other perks. We have the woods and the city mixed close together!

I think I love this place because my heart is here. Where would I move? To a place my heart goes. Right now, that’s here or Culiacan, Mexico.

12. Jay Johnson says:

Raised most of my kids is Seattle, loved it then in the 70’s and 80’s. It was clean, fun and so much to do. Traffic was not unbearable, but getting there. Now I live in Bellingham, and it’s clean, fun, close to the water, surrounded by mountains, and traffic is picking up, so I’m not the only one who has discovered it. Too many places to chose from, anywhere with a mild temp and very close to an ocean.

13. Jay Johnson says:

House prices have been jacked-up for years, it’s good to see the prices coming into reality with worth, and back to an affordable range.

14. Richard says:

Another St. Paul resident here, and quite frankly I love it.

If I were to live somewhere else, probably Jamaica or Trinidad (two places where I’ve lived before). Within the U.S., I really liked DC when I went to visit.

15. Mike levitt says:

Living in Amherstburg, Ontario. Originally from the Metro Detroit area, and also lived in the Chicago area for 6 years, so same weather, different currency and culture.

Love San Diego, and would love to live there one day, but I feel God wants me where I am right now, so I’ll listen to Him.

16. abramjanson says:

Currently: Indiana.

In the future… Anywhere without cornfields. 🙂 but seriously… New Zealand

17. Barry says:

I live in Murfreesboro, dead center of TN. It’s ok but not as pretty as east TN in the Smokies.

If I could live anywhere: Seattle (I move there in August), Portland, Denver and maybe Minneapolis.

18. Kacie says:

Currently live in Dallas, and I dislike it. Nothing personal, it’s just uninteresting.

If I could live in anywhere? Oh man… Oxford, England because the place just oozes history, intelligence, and quaintness out of every corner.

Or maybe Jayapura, Indonesia, because it’s home and right between gorgeous beaches and a beautiful mountain and has the most beautiful sunsets in the world…

or maybe a small town in the Alps…. because…. it’s the alps.

*sigh*…
    how about anywhere but Dallas?

19. josephcastillo says:

I live in the Bay Area, but I would love to move back to Seattle. It is the best city in America.

20. James says:

Currently live in Syracuse, NY.

If I could live anywhere, I’d move to Coruscant, in a galaxy far, far away.

21. your friend says:

I live in Seoul. Pretty polluted. Yellow dust with chemicals come over from China regularly in spring.

Also, Seoul is pretty overcrowded, which makes you feel jammed in.

Nevertheless, I WANT to be here, because God wants me here and because the person I love most is right beside me, and together we mingle with the crowd, share Jesus… exciting!

22. Carrie says:

I’m a Michigan girl. I’ve traveled a lot, seen a lot of places that are “supposed” to be prettier, but honestly, I love love love it here. The seasons are so colorful, each one, full of texture and richness.

23. Ruth says:

I live in Belfast Northern Ireland. I love it here, the people and their sense of humour (the craic) is great. The scenery is fantastaic. BUT its rains, a lot, and so only for the weather i would love to live in the south of France (well the food and wine might have something to do with it as well)

24. Rusty says:

Boston is by far the best city in the United States (no offense, Seattle, but a lot of people know that. I think the best kept secret among American cities is Kansas City. You get all four seasons, beautiful rolling hills and rivers, a world-class farmer’s market, more fountains than any city in the world save Rome, great parks, affordable houses, zero traffic, tremendous racial/ethnic diversity, fascinating history and architecture, incredible museums (including the Negro Leagues Baseball Hall of Fame and the National World War I museum), vibrant professional sports scene, excellent jazz clubs, and the best bbq in the country. And you’re dead center in the middle of the United States so any corner of the country is as easily accessible as the next. What else could you want in a city?

25. Peter K says:

I cannot believe that no one has mentioned Hawaii. It’s US soil, beautiful (almost magical), and half way between Asia and California. You can also eat SPAM openly, preferably between some rice and seaweed.

26. Andy Larsen says:

Eugene. I didn’t know you knew Spanish. That’s cool. I live in Seattle too [for the rest that didn’t know] and for the most part love it. The drawbacks have been duly noted in the Fast Company article. The best way to deal with the rain is to just get out in it. Don’t let it limit plans.

If I could, I would live in Barcelona, where we lived for a year. More sun, less rain, great transit system, connected to the rest of Europe, the Mediterranean, N. Africa. Need I say anymore. 2nd choice would be somewhere in Mexico, like San Miguel de Allende or somewhere on the Pacific coast.

27. Andy Larsen says:

If I could, I would live in Barcelona, where we lived for a year. More sun, less rain, great transit system, connected to the rest of Europe, the Mediterranean, N. Africa. Need I say more. 2nd choice would be somewhere in Mexico, like San Miguel de Allende or somewhere on the Pacific coast.

28. Rebecca says:

I’m a Seattle native, born and bred, and absolutely love this city in all its damp glory. The mountains, the trees, the water, the weather, the culture, the music, the unique personality of the city. Can’t ever see myself living anywhere else.

I never want to leave, but if I was going to live somewhere else, I suppose it would be San Francisco, New York, or somewhere in Scotland.

29. mattbusby says:

My wife and I currently live outside of Tampa. We are eyeing Chattanooga, TN as our next local. Its small but still has an urban feel, 4 seasons, and plenty of outdoors!

To support both the equality of women and the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but I know we're not alone. May we press on. And may we lead with hope.

I'm at the Women's March in Seattle to show my solidarity with my wife, my mothers, my daughters, and the female congregants of my church. I'm also here to model for my son what we believe in our home. Many people have already expressed their disappointment, dismay, and disgust with my decision. Such is life. We will always disappoint someone. And that's also a lot of words that begin with "d." I'm here not because I agree or disagree with every single statement or sign at this march (although I really liked this one) but because as a Christian, I believe in the fundamental truth that women are fearfully and wonderfully made in the image of God. They are to be valued, heard, and respected.

And because I believe we can't be a flourishing society without the flourishing of women. And because the Church cannot be the Church without the gifts and voices of women. All the gifts of women.

And in doing so, may we together honor the sanctity of life - from womb to tomb. Collaboration.

col·lab·o·ra·tion
kəˌlabəˈrāSH(ə)n/
noun

the action of working with someone or a group of others  to produce or create something.

May we hold our logos, egos, and tribalism have their place. May we hold them loosely for they too shall pass. May we collaborate for the sake of the greater Kingdom of God ... which endures forever. As we honor Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., don't forget the God behind the man. The one true God who deposited this dream into MLK is still speaking to us today. Are we listening?

Be courageous. Be brave.

Being invited by the King Family to speak at the MLK worship service at Ebenezer Baptist Church in 2016 remains one of the most unexpected honors of my life. On the right is his daughter, Dr. Bernice King and his sister, Dr. Christine King Farris. Walking throughstreet markets in different parts of the world is the best. Soaking in the culture. Listening to the local language and music. Enjoying the amazing cuisine. Meeting new friends. Praying for the Gospel to penetrate. #ChiangRai Blessed be the local, indigenous leaders for it is they who live in the very communities they seek to love. For it is they who understand their context and culture...better than a Westerner ever will. For it is they who will continue to tenaciously pursue a better world with hope, justice and love when visitors like me leave.

Yes, blessed be the local, indigenous leaders. What an honor and privilege to celebrate with the on-the-ground local @thefreedomstory team to celebrate the recent opening of their Education and Resource Center for the local youth in Chiang Rai, Thailanf. This was made possible through a partnership and matching grant by @onedayswages and The Freedom Story.

While it was an honor to be there to cut the cord and say a few words, this is an example of collaboration. Much love to the Freedom Story team including their co-founders Tawee Donchai and @Rachel Goble, to their staff who live in the community, who understand their context and culture, and who tenaciously pursue a better world with hope, justice and love. And of course, much love to the students themselves for they each matter. Finally, to each person that donated to @onedayswages to make this grant possible.

May hundreds and even thousands of youth be impacted, encouraged, and mentored. May they capture a glimpse of God's love for them.

Photo: @benjaminedwards

• Really loved this sign from the women's march from one of our church congregants. Counter cultural. Subversive. L… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 4 hours ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn can be lonely but we're not alone. Lead with hope: instagram.com/p/BPjMGTOhMjL/ || 5 hours ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but we're not alone. May we press on. || 8 hours ago
  • Going to the Women's March in Seattle bc as a Christian, I believe women are fearfully and wonderfully made and are to be heard & respected. || 11 hours ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 12 hours ago
  • God bless America...so that we may be a blessing to the hurting, poor, vulnerable, immigrants, oppressed, marginalized. God bless America. || 1 day ago