call me eugene macgyver from here on out

macgyver-movie

What do you do with something like this?

I’ve heard these sort of comments many times before but when they come from one of your government leaders, it’s a punch to the guts.  Brings up memories of “Go back where you came from…”

Or even the recent elections that “B-a-r-a-c-k  O-b-a-m-a” doesn’t sound American so he must be a Muslim and thus, he must be a terrorist?!?  Huh?

But if Asians have to change our last names, I want to be called:

Eugene MacGyver or Eugene Kennedy III

Go ahead, suggest a new last name for me!

Alright, what do you think?

Me?  I know that Rep. Betty Brown didn’t mean harm.  Having watched the video, it wasn’t mean spirited in any bit but it certainly demonstrates ignorance.   I often hear people speak of how far we’ve come.  Certainly true.  We should truly enjoy the progress of our nation.

But we should not fool ourselves that we’ve arrived – lest we fall prey to our collective ignorance.

As a follower of Christ, I’m thankful and compelled  for the work of reconciliation that God has called us to.  Thankful for the grace given to us through the cross of Christ.  Grace given and grace extended.  But having said that, let’s just say it:  While not mean spirited, the statement is ludicrous.

[article] AUSTIN — A North Texas legislator during House testimony on voter identification legislation said Asian-descent voters should adopt names that are “easier for Americans to deal with.”

The comments caused the Texas Democratic Party on Wednesday to demand an apology from state Rep. Betty Brown, R-Terrell. But a spokesman for Brown said her comments were only an attempt to overcome problems with identifying Asian names for voting purposes.
The exchange occurred late Tuesday as the House Elections Committee heard testimony from Ramey Ko, a representative of the Organization of Chinese Americans.

Ko told the committee that people of Chinese, Japanese and Korean descent often have problems voting and other forms of identification because they may have a legal transliterated name and then a common English name that is used on their driver’s license on school registrations.

Easier for voting?
Brown suggested that Asian-Americans should find a way to make their names more accessible.

“Rather than everyone here having to learn Chinese — I understand it’s a rather difficult language — do you think that it would behoove you and your citizens to adopt a name that we could deal with more readily here?” Brown said.

Brown later told Ko: “Can’t you see that this is something that would make it a lot easier for you and the people who are poll workers if you could adopt a name just for identification purposes that’s easier for Americans to deal with?”

Democratic Chairman Boyd Richie said Republicans are trying to suppress votes with a partisan identification bill and said Brown “is adding insult to injury with her disrespectful comments.”

Brown spokesman Jordan Berry said Brown was not making a racially motivated comment but was trying to resolve an identification problem.

Berry said Democrats are trying to blow Brown’s comments out of proportion because polls show most voters support requiring identification for voting. Berry said the Democrats are using racial rhetoric to inflame partisan feelings against the bill.

“They want this to just be about race,” Berry said.

Filed under: , ,

1. Dan Cho says:

Awesome!

At least she’s being honest. Yeah, right.

I want to be known as Dan DANIEL.That’s right, in all caps. Not hard to pronounce, either. 🙂

2. Tony says:

Oh goodness… it would be Terrell, too. My wife is from that town and that definitely sounds like something one might hear there. Ugh. It always frustrates me when people say things that are hurtful and then refuse to acknowledge the fact that people are affected by their words. There are some serious implications that go along with this suggestion. The thought that one should be asked to distance themselves from something as central to their identity and culture as their own name is pretty dang ridiculous. Although I will admit that “Cho” is pretty tricky to “deal with.” I mean… maybe the “CH” makes a hard sound, like the word “chiropractor.” 😉

By the way, as sweet as Eugene Macgyver sounds, I want to be the first to cast my vote for “Eugene Levy.” He was one of the stars of “American Pie,” after all.

3. This isn’t really an Asian issue. It’s an immigrant issue. And it’s not new. Immigrant families have always lived with this same tension. My surname, Boydston, was originally Boyleston in Scotland — changed in America to make it easier on American tongues. Numerous Johnsons and Andersons and Carlsons coming from Sweden were encouraged to adopt American names because there were too many Johnsons, Andersons, and Carlsons to distinguish them from each other — even with middle initials. Schmidts became Smiths when they arrived from Germany. Brauns became Browns and Kochs became Cooks. Asimakoupoulos became Smith (and then Asimakoupoulos again — eventually.)

Not all changed their names to fit in. Many just chuckled and went about their business because they had other concerns more pressing.

4. Al Shaw says:

Are we allowed to be humorous yet?

If so, may I introduce your readers to a Thai student by the name of Apichart Patyiapinyapong, know to his friends as Chart?

When does pragmatism become racism?

5. Artin Boghosian says:

An interesting note: I’m Armenian. As a result, there are certain letters in my alphabet that almost no Westerner could pronounce. Imagine trying to pronounce these: ts, kh, gh <- those are the transliteration of the actual letters in Armenian. Should Americans have to adjust to me or should I have to adjust to Americans? I don’t know, but there are a lot of immigrants in LA lol!

6. Eric says:

How about Bubba.

Being from Texas I think alot of those guys have a hard time pronounceing anything but names like Bubba. I knew more Bubba’s in texas and I don’t think I’ve met one before or since.

7. teresa says:

My grandfather immigrated from Germany in 1909…his name was Bohnke (but had two dots over the o, making it pronounced more like Bernke). “Americans” couldn’t deal with it, so it quickly became prounounced “Bonkey”-which, as I learned on the first day of first grade at recess, was just like a little four legged animal with big ears….

We have many friends whose names have been butchered in the process of becoming refugees and what they end up with is not even close to what they started with.

I would have loved to give up my name, but no one should have to just to make someone else’s ignorance more comfortable.

8. Matt says:

if you named yourself Eugene Driscoll Osteen Jakes Stanley Bell Warren Graham, you could be a pastor with a confused theology but also attract every type of christian to your church :-P.

I’d name myself Matthew Kimberly, or Matt Kim for short. I win! I keep my last name. 😛

9. Karen Claassen says:

First, I have to say: Thank you Matt. First laugh-out-loud moment of the day.

You could, of course, become a traditionalist with AugustineAquinasWesleyBonhoefferBarth instead.

Or go with the church bad-boys: AriusMarcionNestoriusOrigenPelagius.

Thanks for this post, Eugene. While the video gave me the heebie-jeebies, it is a great demonstration of grace under pressure by Ramey Ko. As was Jian Ghomeshi’s behavior towards Billy Bob Thornton if you have seem that video making the rounds (if not, do NOT watch. Ugh.)

10. Thanks for finding this Eugene. I’d like to thank the Texas legislature for helping me decide on the new spelling for my name:
    “Jack 危险 Canty”

Soon to be used at my local polling place 😉

11. Capt Ralph says:

OK – I hope I am not changing the subject. My first reaction is…………not about names but I object to voting ballots in other languages. Not so much offended but concerned that (from my anthropology/linguistics background) democracy might not translate to other languages – and culture is largely found in the context of language. And I agree with Teresa, many (if not most) European immigrants “Americanized” their names – and then their grandchildren changed them back! 🙂 Just ask the “awesome rev” at Mercer Island Covenant Church. Rev Greg’s grandfather took the name Smith – and the “awesome rev” (thanks “hooked on phonics” changed it his last name back to Asimakoupoulis. 🙂

12. Capt Ralph says:

ooopppsss Asimakoupoulos……….

13. MAC says:

@jack- I love it.

14. Rick in Texas says:

@Eric – I live in Texas and I don’t know anyone named or called Bubba. And if characterizing people is inconsiderate, it’s always inconsiderate. I’m not in the least upset with the remark you made, but I do find it interesting that insensitive remarks about asians are out of line, but characterizations that suggest Texan men are so stupid that they cannot pronounce names that are not like Bubba are apparently OK. And incidentally I am not a Texan by birth – I was born and grew up about 70 miles from Eugene’s Bay Area home.

15. DW says:

you seriously couldn’t have picked a better name. MacGyver has always been my hero.

oh, I should have added also that MacGyver is so much easier to say and spell than your crazy asian names like “Cho.”

16. Frank says:

I’m changing my name to Mike Krzyzewski to help all the “Americans” in Texas.

17. neu says:

Lord, this upset me. As someone whose full name is 22 characters long and has many letters of the alphabet, my parents had to shorten my name some on my birth certificate, without jeopardizing the meaning.

People STILL can’t pronounce it correctly. I tell them to drop the hyphenated part of my name, and they still can’t pronounce it. As a 15 year old in college, I was seriously considering changing my name so people would stop acting so ignorant about it.

I have this rule: if you can pronounce Shigeru Miyamoto, my name should not be hard. I’m usually too ticked off to give people Nigerian Linguistics 101.
    And if you think Shigeru is so hard to pronounce, like the Representative mentioned, God help you.

I’m sick of the Anglo-Saxon name thing going on. People wouldn’t blink an eye if my name was Patience Door (translation of my name).

@ Artin – part of my name is Urhobo (ethnic group in Nigeria) and it has combinations of “vw” and “gh”. Small world, ain’t it?

18. Wow, I hadn’t heard that. It’s really sad that people still talk about stuff like that.

It reminded me though of a children’s book called The Name Jar (http://www.amazon.com/Name-Jar-Yangsook-Choi/dp/0440417996/) about a Korean girl who moves to the US and is at first encouraged to pick an American name. In the end she decides to keep her given name and take pride in her heritage.

My daughter has a German first name and an Old English middle name. My son has a Gaelic first name and an Elvish middle name… I’m sure they will be taunted for that too, but I hope they can live into their names.

19. Peter Chou says:

Thank you for this blog entry. I found it hilarious. I grew up having my name constantly butchered because of the way it was spelled. Like you, it is pronounced “Cho”, but I’ve been called “Chu, “Chow”, and “Coo-Oh”. I think if I were to change my name it would be Max Powers.

20. Andy M says:

I think this is rather amusing considering that we can’t even pronounce some of our own names in America. Between just meeting random people and then the work that me and my wife do, we see a lot of strange names of Americans that either the spelling is odd, or the pronunciation, or both. Not to say that it is bad to have those names, (though I sometimes feel bad for the child who got named), but how could we tell immigrants to change their name when we can’t keep up with our own?

Seriously, American’s need to challenge themselves by learning more of their own language, and then others as well. If anything, learning a person’s real name is significant, and taking the time to learn how to call someone by their name could be a good way to start a relationship.

21. eugenecho says:

@brad:

i agree that it’s NOT an asian issue. it involves an immigration issue. but if you think this is EXCLUSIVELY an immigration issue, i strongly disagree with you.

peace in guam.

22. charlestlee says:

Hey Eugene,

Just call yourself Eugene Lee…easy to pronounce and we could be brothers. 🙂

In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.
Pray and choose wisely.
Then invest deeply. May our compassion not just be limited to the West or to those that look like us. Lifting up the people of Iraq, Iran, and Kurdistan in prayer after the 7.3 earthquake - including the many new friends I met on a recent trip to Iraq.

The death toll rises to over 400 and over 7,000 injured in multiple cities and hundreds of villages along the Western border with Iraq.

Lord, in your mercy... We are reminded again and again...that we are Resurrection People living in a Dark Friday world.

It's been a tough, emotional, and painful week - especially as we lament the horrible tragedy of the church shootings at Sutherland Springs. In the midst of this lament, I've been carried by the hope, beauty, and promise of our baptisms last Sunday and the raw and honest testimonies of God's mercy, love, and grace.

Indeed, God is not yet done. May we take heart for Christ has overcome the world. "Without genuine relationships with the poor, we rob them of their dignity and they become mere projects. And God did not intend for anyone to become our projects." Grateful this quote from my book, Overrated, is resonating with so many folks - individuals and  NGOs. / design by @preemptivelove .
May we keep working