freaky video friday / for the sake of clean nostrils

Dear Blog Reader,

Let me apologize for wasting your time – ahead of time.  But I have a wacky video to share for your entertainment – for our first installment of Freaky Video Friday.  This is really weird but I can’t stop watching it…especially the water going through one nostril through the other.  See for yourself:

The award winning video as seen on TV and around the world- this demo video was created in Honesdale, PA at the Himalayan Institute and has escalated sales of the official Neti Pot to new heights. Enjoy!

But, let me be the first person to say what a great Gift Exchange item this would be!

And by the way, post your nominations for future Freak Video Friday vids.

Filed under: ,

1. The Chiz says:

I know people that SWEAR by this contraption. To me, it looks like a fraternity prank….

2. apolarity says:

Here’s someone using one of those – with a couple other liquids: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQm7YpxgOnA

Doesn’t look like a lot of fun to me.

3. robby says:

believe it or not, people with chronic sinusitis (most common chronic disease in the US, ~15%) do this several times a day. great to keep your sinuses healthy!

4. Matt D says:

I’ve used a neti pot for the past 4 years. It has completely changed my life. No more meds!

It might be freaky, but much better than the alternatives…

5. Tim says:

My wife is a nurse practitioner and she recommends these all the time. I have sinus problems, she sold me on it and I’m telling you, it’s fantastic! My tagline is ‘an enema for your face’.

Seriously though, next time you get a cold, get one. much better than sinus meds. And, actually, much more disgusting in reality than the video suggests.

6. Charis says:

A few months ago I briefly told about my experience with using one of these during a sermon. I was bemused to watch the congregation physically squirm in their seats. TMI, I suppose. Too funny.

7. Eugene and Chism- I just used the nedi pot 2 days ago for my cold. We’ve had one for about a year I’m afraid to admit. My naturopath basically forced it on me awhile ago and swears by it. It’s like self-induced waterboarding- you’re breathing through your mouth but still feel like you’re drowning/gasping for air. Also uncomfortable is the fact that, at times, your nose will turn on like a faucet a few minutes later and soak whatever you’re doing. But it seems to help congestion and inflammation, in all fairness.

I don’t know- maybe baptism by nedi pot is the wave of the future ?

8. eugenecho says:

wow.

@dr. kang: you’re the doc. i believe you.

@matt d and @ian: can you take a video next time?

@charis: i’m scared to ask. what was your illustration? atonement? propitiation? supralapsarianism?

9. Daphne says:

Hahahaha I thought I was going to be the only one who is out and proud about being a neti pot user. Yay!!!

10. Shaun King says:

Yep.

Put me in the long line of people that swear by the use of a neti pot. I have constant sinusitis and infections and this flushes things out better than antibiotics.

As a matter of fact, if it matters to anybody, Dr. Mehmet Oz (You: The Owners Manual & Oprah) said a recent study showed that a Neti pot is more effective than meds at clearing up sinuses.

All that said, I do not enjoy using it at all.

11. Kacie says:

yeah dude, don’t knock the neti pot. In allergy season it is a lifesaver at my house. I tried to video my husband using it last time, and he yelled at me ;).

12. Daphne says:

i actually think using the neti pot it fun. COME ON!! water goes in one nostril and comes out the other!! it satisfies the 9 year old boy in me.

In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.
Pray and choose wisely.
Then invest deeply. May our compassion not just be limited to the West or to those that look like us. Lifting up the people of Iraq, Iran, and Kurdistan in prayer after the 7.3 earthquake - including the many new friends I met on a recent trip to Iraq.

The death toll rises to over 400 and over 7,000 injured in multiple cities and hundreds of villages along the Western border with Iraq.

Lord, in your mercy... We are reminded again and again...that we are Resurrection People living in a Dark Friday world.

It's been a tough, emotional, and painful week - especially as we lament the horrible tragedy of the church shootings at Sutherland Springs. In the midst of this lament, I've been carried by the hope, beauty, and promise of our baptisms last Sunday and the raw and honest testimonies of God's mercy, love, and grace.

Indeed, God is not yet done. May we take heart for Christ has overcome the world. "Without genuine relationships with the poor, we rob them of their dignity and they become mere projects. And God did not intend for anyone to become our projects." Grateful this quote from my book, Overrated, is resonating with so many folks - individuals and  NGOs. / design by @preemptivelove .
May we keep working