freaky video friday / for the sake of clean nostrils

Dear Blog Reader,

Let me apologize for wasting your time – ahead of time.  But I have a wacky video to share for your entertainment – for our first installment of Freaky Video Friday.  This is really weird but I can’t stop watching it…especially the water going through one nostril through the other.  See for yourself:

The award winning video as seen on TV and around the world- this demo video was created in Honesdale, PA at the Himalayan Institute and has escalated sales of the official Neti Pot to new heights. Enjoy!

But, let me be the first person to say what a great Gift Exchange item this would be!

And by the way, post your nominations for future Freak Video Friday vids.

Filed under: ,

1. The Chiz says:

I know people that SWEAR by this contraption. To me, it looks like a fraternity prank….

2. apolarity says:

Here’s someone using one of those – with a couple other liquids: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQm7YpxgOnA

Doesn’t look like a lot of fun to me.

3. robby says:

believe it or not, people with chronic sinusitis (most common chronic disease in the US, ~15%) do this several times a day. great to keep your sinuses healthy!

4. Matt D says:

I’ve used a neti pot for the past 4 years. It has completely changed my life. No more meds!

It might be freaky, but much better than the alternatives…

5. Tim says:

My wife is a nurse practitioner and she recommends these all the time. I have sinus problems, she sold me on it and I’m telling you, it’s fantastic! My tagline is ‘an enema for your face’.

Seriously though, next time you get a cold, get one. much better than sinus meds. And, actually, much more disgusting in reality than the video suggests.

6. Charis says:

A few months ago I briefly told about my experience with using one of these during a sermon. I was bemused to watch the congregation physically squirm in their seats. TMI, I suppose. Too funny.

7. Eugene and Chism- I just used the nedi pot 2 days ago for my cold. We’ve had one for about a year I’m afraid to admit. My naturopath basically forced it on me awhile ago and swears by it. It’s like self-induced waterboarding- you’re breathing through your mouth but still feel like you’re drowning/gasping for air. Also uncomfortable is the fact that, at times, your nose will turn on like a faucet a few minutes later and soak whatever you’re doing. But it seems to help congestion and inflammation, in all fairness.

I don’t know- maybe baptism by nedi pot is the wave of the future ?

8. eugenecho says:

wow.

@dr. kang: you’re the doc. i believe you.

@matt d and @ian: can you take a video next time?

@charis: i’m scared to ask. what was your illustration? atonement? propitiation? supralapsarianism?

9. Daphne says:

Hahahaha I thought I was going to be the only one who is out and proud about being a neti pot user. Yay!!!

10. Shaun King says:

Yep.

Put me in the long line of people that swear by the use of a neti pot. I have constant sinusitis and infections and this flushes things out better than antibiotics.

As a matter of fact, if it matters to anybody, Dr. Mehmet Oz (You: The Owners Manual & Oprah) said a recent study showed that a Neti pot is more effective than meds at clearing up sinuses.

All that said, I do not enjoy using it at all.

11. Kacie says:

yeah dude, don’t knock the neti pot. In allergy season it is a lifesaver at my house. I tried to video my husband using it last time, and he yelled at me ;).

12. Daphne says:

i actually think using the neti pot it fun. COME ON!! water goes in one nostril and comes out the other!! it satisfies the 9 year old boy in me.

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• "They got money for wars but can't feed the poor." ~ Tupac #trumpbudget || 18 hours ago
  • Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 2 days ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 4 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 4 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 4 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 5 days ago