freaky video friday / for the sake of clean nostrils

Dear Blog Reader,

Let me apologize for wasting your time – ahead of time.  But I have a wacky video to share for your entertainment – for our first installment of Freaky Video Friday.  This is really weird but I can’t stop watching it…especially the water going through one nostril through the other.  See for yourself:

The award winning video as seen on TV and around the world- this demo video was created in Honesdale, PA at the Himalayan Institute and has escalated sales of the official Neti Pot to new heights. Enjoy!

But, let me be the first person to say what a great Gift Exchange item this would be!

And by the way, post your nominations for future Freak Video Friday vids.

Filed under: ,

1. The Chiz says:

I know people that SWEAR by this contraption. To me, it looks like a fraternity prank….

2. apolarity says:

Here’s someone using one of those – with a couple other liquids: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQm7YpxgOnA

Doesn’t look like a lot of fun to me.

3. robby says:

believe it or not, people with chronic sinusitis (most common chronic disease in the US, ~15%) do this several times a day. great to keep your sinuses healthy!

4. Matt D says:

I’ve used a neti pot for the past 4 years. It has completely changed my life. No more meds!

It might be freaky, but much better than the alternatives…

5. Tim says:

My wife is a nurse practitioner and she recommends these all the time. I have sinus problems, she sold me on it and I’m telling you, it’s fantastic! My tagline is ‘an enema for your face’.

Seriously though, next time you get a cold, get one. much better than sinus meds. And, actually, much more disgusting in reality than the video suggests.

6. Charis says:

A few months ago I briefly told about my experience with using one of these during a sermon. I was bemused to watch the congregation physically squirm in their seats. TMI, I suppose. Too funny.

7. Eugene and Chism- I just used the nedi pot 2 days ago for my cold. We’ve had one for about a year I’m afraid to admit. My naturopath basically forced it on me awhile ago and swears by it. It’s like self-induced waterboarding- you’re breathing through your mouth but still feel like you’re drowning/gasping for air. Also uncomfortable is the fact that, at times, your nose will turn on like a faucet a few minutes later and soak whatever you’re doing. But it seems to help congestion and inflammation, in all fairness.

I don’t know- maybe baptism by nedi pot is the wave of the future ?

8. eugenecho says:

wow.

@dr. kang: you’re the doc. i believe you.

@matt d and @ian: can you take a video next time?

@charis: i’m scared to ask. what was your illustration? atonement? propitiation? supralapsarianism?

9. Daphne says:

Hahahaha I thought I was going to be the only one who is out and proud about being a neti pot user. Yay!!!

10. Shaun King says:

Yep.

Put me in the long line of people that swear by the use of a neti pot. I have constant sinusitis and infections and this flushes things out better than antibiotics.

As a matter of fact, if it matters to anybody, Dr. Mehmet Oz (You: The Owners Manual & Oprah) said a recent study showed that a Neti pot is more effective than meds at clearing up sinuses.

All that said, I do not enjoy using it at all.

11. Kacie says:

yeah dude, don’t knock the neti pot. In allergy season it is a lifesaver at my house. I tried to video my husband using it last time, and he yelled at me ;).

12. Daphne says:

i actually think using the neti pot it fun. COME ON!! water goes in one nostril and comes out the other!! it satisfies the 9 year old boy in me.

Nothing grows by itself. If something matters to us, may we be intentional about growing it.

Invest. Pray. Plant. Water. Nurture. Repeat. God sees and knows us. In fact, God knows everything about us.

Not just the good we try so hard to project but even the mess we often seek to hide.

Let this soak in: Not only are we fully known but in Christ, we are fully pursued and loved.

This is grace.
Amazing grace. Hairstyles change. Sideburn fads come and go but may our commitment to love, honor, respect, and be on mission together for Christ never waver.

Thank you, Minhee. I love you so much even if you made fun of my hairstyle and sideburns. I missed you, Seattle. Grateful for a time to pray, rest, retreat, read, reflect, and sabbath. I've spent the last 12 days in the woods alone. Competely alone. It's been both haunting and refreshing. Haunting because of loneliness. Refreshing because through the silence, I am reminded - again - that I'm not alone. Emmanuel.

Also, bought myself a cheap kayak and loving the solitude time in nature. Also, the kayak is paying instant dividends in my bass fishing game. #sabbathrest #bassfishing #catchandrelease There's nothing selfish about rest and self-care. We can't give what we don't have. Experience life and we'll be life-giving to others. Amen.

#NoteToSelf