freaky video friday / for the sake of clean nostrils

Dear Blog Reader,

Let me apologize for wasting your time – ahead of time.  But I have a wacky video to share for your entertainment – for our first installment of Freaky Video Friday.  This is really weird but I can’t stop watching it…especially the water going through one nostril through the other.  See for yourself:

The award winning video as seen on TV and around the world- this demo video was created in Honesdale, PA at the Himalayan Institute and has escalated sales of the official Neti Pot to new heights. Enjoy!

But, let me be the first person to say what a great Gift Exchange item this would be!

And by the way, post your nominations for future Freak Video Friday vids.

Filed under: ,

1. The Chiz says:

I know people that SWEAR by this contraption. To me, it looks like a fraternity prank….

2. apolarity says:

Here’s someone using one of those – with a couple other liquids: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQm7YpxgOnA

Doesn’t look like a lot of fun to me.

3. robby says:

believe it or not, people with chronic sinusitis (most common chronic disease in the US, ~15%) do this several times a day. great to keep your sinuses healthy!

4. Matt D says:

I’ve used a neti pot for the past 4 years. It has completely changed my life. No more meds!

It might be freaky, but much better than the alternatives…

5. Tim says:

My wife is a nurse practitioner and she recommends these all the time. I have sinus problems, she sold me on it and I’m telling you, it’s fantastic! My tagline is ‘an enema for your face’.

Seriously though, next time you get a cold, get one. much better than sinus meds. And, actually, much more disgusting in reality than the video suggests.

6. Charis says:

A few months ago I briefly told about my experience with using one of these during a sermon. I was bemused to watch the congregation physically squirm in their seats. TMI, I suppose. Too funny.

7. Eugene and Chism- I just used the nedi pot 2 days ago for my cold. We’ve had one for about a year I’m afraid to admit. My naturopath basically forced it on me awhile ago and swears by it. It’s like self-induced waterboarding- you’re breathing through your mouth but still feel like you’re drowning/gasping for air. Also uncomfortable is the fact that, at times, your nose will turn on like a faucet a few minutes later and soak whatever you’re doing. But it seems to help congestion and inflammation, in all fairness.

I don’t know- maybe baptism by nedi pot is the wave of the future ?

8. eugenecho says:

wow.

@dr. kang: you’re the doc. i believe you.

@matt d and @ian: can you take a video next time?

@charis: i’m scared to ask. what was your illustration? atonement? propitiation? supralapsarianism?

9. Daphne says:

Hahahaha I thought I was going to be the only one who is out and proud about being a neti pot user. Yay!!!

10. Shaun King says:

Yep.

Put me in the long line of people that swear by the use of a neti pot. I have constant sinusitis and infections and this flushes things out better than antibiotics.

As a matter of fact, if it matters to anybody, Dr. Mehmet Oz (You: The Owners Manual & Oprah) said a recent study showed that a Neti pot is more effective than meds at clearing up sinuses.

All that said, I do not enjoy using it at all.

11. Kacie says:

yeah dude, don’t knock the neti pot. In allergy season it is a lifesaver at my house. I tried to video my husband using it last time, and he yelled at me ;).

12. Daphne says:

i actually think using the neti pot it fun. COME ON!! water goes in one nostril and comes out the other!! it satisfies the 9 year old boy in me.

"He must become greater; I must become less." - John 3:30 We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on.