blog open mic

Welcome everyone.  It’s time for the quarterly blog open mic and a chance to express yourself.  What is a blog open mic? It’s simply a digital version of an OPEN MIC. The pic above is from an Open Mic we host at Q Cafe on Tuesday nights from 7-9.30pm for those that want to actually get on a small stage and get your talent on.  In the comments section on this post, you can share [almost] anything…

What are some possibilities for the open mic?

a news story / your cause or another cause you want to call attention toyour blograndom thoughtsscriptureworld changing ideasyour music or plug your bandsyour confessionsrants against me or rage against the machineinspiring storiesthe answers to lifeyour hip hop flowyour art, your poetry, prose or haikuinteresting linksads for a boyfriend or girlfriendpromote an event, conduct a fundraisershare your faith, fears, insecurities, and hopes

You can share whatever as long as it’s not hateful, vitriolic, etc.

So, here is your chance to express yourself. Take a minute and “open mic.”

Filed under: ,

1. DS says:

Nothing special to share. Just want to share how much I appreciate your blog and your willingness to share your faith and story.

2. myclue says:

appreciate your blog. always an interesting read.

check out mine!

3. Tyler Savage says:

Interesting idea, this is the first blog open mic I’ve seen. I’ll give it a try…

Right now I’m worried/excited about support raising. I work with an innovative new missions organization in Germany, but have to go back to the states in April to finish raising my support. (30-40%)

Def. not my favorite thing to do but right now it is what’s required. I’ve been dreading it a little too much, but just today I’ve started to get excited about the opportunities I’ll have this summer.

4. Curtis Honeycutt says:

I’m pretending I’m at the Q Cafe:

Eclipse

I would trade a week
      full of days like these
      for one more summer day,
      and what happens
      when the rain finally stops,
      the clouds break away
      and the sun
      is not there anymore?

We would live
      among the shadows
      of bewilderment,
      cloaks of unknowing
      making us like the blind.
      I pray this is merely
      a season that passes,
      weather that moves on,
      tears that are kissed away,
      a nightmare that I wake up from.

Somewhere, although far,
      I think I hear it
      in the whispered wind,
      a rumor of hope.
      I will chain myself to it
      like an anchor,

and, perhaps it will
      propel me to a place
      where the sun rises
      every morning
      for the first time.

5. D C Cramer says:

Great idea, Eugene. If you don’t mind, I’ll use this open mic as an opportunity for a mini stump speech:

I’m afraid that those of us who consider ourselves evangelical have dropped the ball when it comes to Christian ethics. Catholics and other Protestant groups are way ahead of us when it comes to advocating a holistic Christian ethic. Maybe that’s because we’re the children or grandchildren of the old social gospel / spiritual gospel divide of the past century.

I believe that there are signs of change, however. Eugene’s blog is as good of an example as any. But I don’t believe any true change will take place until we address the underlying problem: our acceptance of violence. Evangelicals fight against abortion, stem cell research, euthanasia, etc., but our arguments often seem ad hoc or hollow when we heartily support military campaigns, capital punishment, etc. It is as though we are addressing select symptoms of violence (abortion, etc.) without diagnosing and seeking a cure for the disease itself: violence.

In short, I believe that all Christians, especially evangelicals, need to take another look at Jesus’ example and teaching of nonviolence and to consider what it means for us today. Personally, I believe that such a reevaluation should lead the Christian to adopt a nonviolent/pacifist stance (f0r more on that, see my blog series on pacifism), but each Christian needs to work that out for her/himself.

Thanks for giving me a minute to preach. I’ll pass the mic now.

6. Andy M says:

I would probably classify this as a confession, maybe a cry to God, a lament, because I don’t know where to go with it.

I feel disgusted. I am disgusted with the apathy and indifference of the Christians around me. I am disgusted with the marketing of Jesus like some late night commercial that lasts an hour long and leaves you no better than you were before. I am disgusted at how our organizations, structures, and institutions are more important to us than God. I hate how most Christians are willing to let God transform them right up to the point of making them uncomfortable, and then it just “isn’t what God is calling me to do right now”. I hate how most Christians are not willing to be serious about learning about Jesus, our rabbi, because when it all comes down to it, Jesus is an afterthought in the whole of our lives.

And what really disgusts me, what I hate and detest about all of it, is that all of it is a description of me.

7. Tracy says:

The differences between discouragement and disappointment.

Discouragement
      – is not a friend
      – the life of the pity party
      – a quitter
      – humanistic response
      – refuse to engage
      – blinding

Disappointment
      – natural
      – manageable
      – helps us to grow
      – promotes passion
      – a reflection of hope

8. Kacie says:

I visited a Messianic Jewish Synagogue this weekend, and the experience was really eye-opening and truly amazing. It would take too long to describe here, so if you’re interested hop over to my blog to read about it: http://papuagirlindallas.blogspot.com/2009/03/shalom-shabbat-visiting-messianic.html

It was so beautiful to see the people of God worshiping Yeshua with many of the ancient traditions that Jesus Himself would have taken part in.

9. Randall says:

Okay, here’s a plug for my own blog.

Actually, a specific tag on my blog.

For about a year now I’ve been working on this thing I call “A Layman’s Theology.” I’ve never gone to seminary but I have done a lot of reading and thinking about Christ and Christianity and the Bible and have come up with some views that fall a bit outside the norm but have helped make my faith real and relevant to me. (I’m currently working on one about how finding life outside earth might affect the church and why I think that need not be the case. This one should be up by the end of the week.)

Tinkering with theology shouldn’t be done in a vacuum – that’s how we end up with people stockpiling weapons out in the desert. I’d love to get more feedback (positive and negative) on any of the ideas in my series.

I’ve got thick skin so have at it. Keep me in line and stop me before I start my own cult.

10. Erik H says:

If you feel inclined to check out new music, here is my facebook music page and myspace music page.

Oh yeah, come check out Q-Cafe this Friday at 8 for some live music. I’ll be playing.

Cheers

11. Found an awesome website, iamsecond.com, and wrote about it briefly on our Amplify (Quest youth group) blog. Check it out here!

12. Thanks Eugene.

Hi to all- my blog is The Broken Telegraph. The content is written by me (former film critic; a follower of Christ) and a close friend of mine (former film critic; with no religious affiliation). We write about our convictions and different views on faith, skepticism, life, entertainment, politics, human rights and more. For those interested: http://www.brokentelegraph.com

And check out my wife’s 10 Dollar Cambodia Project (more important than what I’m up to on the blog, but I’ll let her description tell the full story): http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=70408769250&ref=ts

And yeah- go check out Erik H’s music and set this Friday! Really good stuff…

13. jeff greer says:

thanks Eugene for your blog, your cafe, your work against injustice and poverty an well… pretty much thanks for all you do! I’m glad that I know you! Anyways, just wanted to plug my blog, and in light of the recent discussion panel on homelessness, my recent post: ‘Homelessness has Changed my Life’. you can read it at:

thanks again Eugene …keep up the work…as
      it inspires me to do the same!

rock on,
      jeff greer

14. Dadofiandi says:

This is going on March 31st regarding the use of the R-word. http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/03/20/obama.special.olympics/index.html
      The power of the tounge.

15. Dadofiandi says:

sorry should have added this http://www.r-word.org/

16. Sovann says:

Hi,

My daughter’s homeschool co-op is doing a road trip from Portland, OR to the East Coast and Canada in May.

They are hoping to find churches or schools that would let them crash along the way.

Some of the cities they will be visiting are Chicago, Philadelphia, New York and Boston.

Here’s their website http://heartlife.bridgecity.org/page1/page1.html

If you might be interested in helping or know someone along the way who might be able to help in those cities please email my wife Julie at penteam@verizon.net

Thanks!

17. Kacie says:

Hey Eugene, how do you respond to this article?

I’d love to hear your thoughts.

18. steph says:

i love psalm 16. it’s reverent and beautiful, and i’ll probably be sharing about it at a retreat this weekend. but i cant help giggling when my footnotes talk about my “kidneys instructing me.” 🙂

oh, and kottke.org posted an article i’ve always loved: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/18/AR2006011801434.html

19. Robbin says:

I am sad to hear that Sylvia Plath’s son Nicholas took his own life; continuing a cycle of depression and suicide that started with his mother.

No one should have to suffer alone. If you need help, please try to reach out to someone.

Sometimes people need a safe haven or a calm harbor to find respite from their lives. We should all try to be present and willing to sit with our friends while that search for that rest.

20. Annah says:

I’m trying to figure out if I believe in God anymore. Been hearing a lot of talk lately from atheist who are making a pretty good case against the idea of God. I’ve always taken it for granted that God existed. That’s how I was raised. But I don’t think that’s true anymore. And that makes me sad. And a little adrift.

21. Debbie says:

My blog:

I am an American spending a year living and working in East Jerusalem/West Bank. I work with a Christian NGO in a nearly 100% Muslim town north of Ramallah. This is an amazing place. I love my work and I love learning about both the Palestinian and the Jewish cultures.

22. Barry says:

A quote I have been fascinated with for the last week:

“In wildness is the preservation of the world.”
      – Henry David Thoreau

23. Requiem for David

Running on a country lane
      I’m thinking of mortality, my own;
      Not because of weary legs or sheets of rain,
      Nor the daily reminders that I grow old.

I think of my mortality
      Because along the run
      Under cedars
      A white cross
      With faded flower
      Marks the anguish and the loss
      Of a son, age 16.

24. Barry says:

Annah,
      I’m sorry to hear this but on the flip side I am glad that you are taking your beliefs seriously and looking for honest answers.

I don’t have any great wisdom for you except to tell you to keep searching. I believe God exists and I will pray for you to know Him.

25. Dadofiandi says:

Annah I was an atheist more or less until I was 25yrs old then believed in a God, until probably the last 7yrs. I think it is healthy for you to have these doubts, it may be scary or sad but if your faith is untested is it really faith?
      It is easy to make a case against the existence of God or anything for that matter. I don’t see the sense in arguing about the existence of a God, it is a personal choice. I don’t know and won’t know if God exists or not I believe he does but its not evidence or proof. I just try to love people a la Jesus, since even if he didn’t exist its still a good model. I don’t worry about omy salvation but love try to love one another here on earth and try to ease anothers burden. God decides what is to become of us, not “man.”
      FYI I don’t believe in a 7day creation, not sure about Noah’s Ark, among other things. However those things don’t change my belief in God.
      Following and believing in God shouldn’t be casual but it should be scary because there are more questions than answers. I hope this reaches you and allows you to accept some doubt as normal and healthy. I pray that you don’t lose faith, but if you do, you continue to show love to your family and your neighbor.

26. alex says:

Q. Why couldn’t the kid go into the pirate movie?

A. Because, it was rated “ARRGGGHHH!”

Q. What kind of tool do you need in math class?

A. Multi-pliers.

Q. What did Billy say after he learned how to count money?

A. “It all makes cents now!”

Q. How do you make holy water?

A. Boil the hell out of it!

27. alex says:

Here’s a more serious post after those lame jokes.

For the past couple months there is one thing that I have been doing every night before I go to sleep. No, not saying my prayers (although I should do that).

I’ve been looking out of my window, up at the sky, straight into the dark but beautiful, starry expanse. Because of serious light pollution, I can’t see the Milky Way and the billions of others stars, but I’m grateful to see a few of the constellations. How beautiful they are. I am also wondered by the fact that I am looking back in time when I look at the stars.

I then think how big our Milky Way Galaxy is. 100,000 light years long, 1,000 light years thick, 200-400 billion stars. An overwhelming amount of planets, a few possibly with life, many without, orbiting a sun smaller or bigger than ours. Then, I think of the other galaxies such as the one we live in, some bigger, some smaller.

It then comes to me, what an amazing, majestic, and beautiful universe that God has created. Evidence of his power, beauty, and mystery. My mind is fried thinking about the wonders of the universe created and shaped by God. I am grateful to him for letting me experience life and see his beautiful creation. Despite all the overwhelming moments and hardships in life, I look up at the expanse and tell myself that it’s worth it.

28. Joe says:

Seems like since the days of starting my own blog in January, I must be doing something right because I feel like I’m being thrown road-block after road-block and one speed-bump after another.

Seems like I’ve gone through more bouts of discouragement and doubts than I have a in while. Seems like I’ve questioned my own faith on a more regular basis and even wondered if I’m really even a Christian.

Gratefully, I’ve been a Christian long enough to realize that these are all spiritual attacks and signs that I’m in the battle. May I continue to wage war against our adversary.

Signs of the end of the age all around us. May we not be blind to the signs of the times. Lift your eyes skyward, Christian, your redemption draws near!

May He Increase!

29. eugenecho says:

@tyler: feel for ya brother. been there. and still there.

@curtis honeycutt: nice.

@andy m: word.

@kacie: will try to read it over sometime…

@annah: you’re in the right place. what i mean, is that if you’re trying to figure it out, you’re on the journey of owning your faith. you’ll re-discover God…

30. Barb says:

Here’s my prayer–somewhere there’s a group of 20-somethings meeting in a livingroom who are starting to think that they should form a church (in the vein of Quest). I’m praying that group like that will be called to come to Central Kitsap as a place for their church. And then I’m praying that my aging boomer, mainline church will welcome them and offer them a space to hold their church.

31. anne says:

here it is –

blogspot vs wordpress

which one, why?

32. Prodigal says:

Barb, I have a blog on each, but one is very new. My understanding is that WordPress has a much bigger community to tap.

My Blogspot: http://DebateChristianity.blogspot.com
      My WordPress: http://prodigalweb/SpiralBlog

Collaboration.

col·lab·o·ra·tion
kəˌlabəˈrāSH(ə)n/
noun

the action of working with someone or a group of others  to produce or create something.

May we hold our logos, egos, and tribalism have their place. May we hold them loosely for they too shall pass. May we collaborate for the sake of the greater Kingdom of God ... which endures forever. As we honor Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., don't forget the God behind the man. The one true God who deposited this dream into MLK is still speaking to us today. Are we listening?

Be courageous. Be brave.

Being invited by the King Family to speak at the MLK worship service at Ebenezer Baptist Church in 2016 remains one of the most unexpected honors of my life. On the right is his daughter, Dr. Bernice King and his sister, Dr. Christine King Farris. Walking throughstreet markets in different parts of the world is the best. Soaking in the culture. Listening to the local language and music. Enjoying the amazing cuisine. Meeting new friends. Praying for the Gospel to penetrate. #ChiangRai Blessed be the local, indigenous leaders for it is they who live in the very communities they seek to love. For it is they who understand their context and culture...better than a Westerner ever will. For it is they who will continue to tenaciously pursue a better world with hope, justice and love when visitors like me leave.

Yes, blessed be the local, indigenous leaders. What an honor and privilege to celebrate with the on-the-ground local @thefreedomstory team to celebrate the recent opening of their Education and Resource Center for the local youth in Chiang Rai, Thailanf. This was made possible through a partnership and matching grant by @onedayswages and The Freedom Story.

While it was an honor to be there to cut the cord and say a few words, this is an example of collaboration. Much love to the Freedom Story team including their co-founders Tawee Donchai and @Rachel Goble, to their staff who live in the community, who understand their context and culture, and who tenaciously pursue a better world with hope, justice and love. And of course, much love to the students themselves for they each matter. Finally, to each person that donated to @onedayswages to make this grant possible.

May hundreds and even thousands of youth be impacted, encouraged, and mentored. May they capture a glimpse of God's love for them.

Photo: @benjaminedwards Part 2 on my wrestling with the complex issue of human trafficking. In part, documenting my trip to Thailand for @onedayswages...to listen, learn, and visit one of our partner orgs @thefreedomstory. More to come.

There's such painful and poignant irony in pursuing justice...unjustly. One way we do this is when we reduce people into projects...and thus, propagating the dangerous power dynamic of US as heroes and THEM as helpless and exclusively as victims. So dangerous.

Human trafficking is not just an issue. It’s ultimately, about people. Depending on the sources of statistics, there are anywhere from 29-40 million people in some form of forced labor and slavery, including sex trafficking.

And one thing I’ve learned, personally, is how easy it is easy to reduce people into projects which is why mutuality, reciprocity, and dignity are so vital. These are critical because God never intended people to be reduced into projects.

We forget this and we indirectly foster a culture and system of victimization or worse, the pornification of the poor or in this case, "the trafficked." And when you start dehumanizing the poor or trafficked, you have no genuine desire to build relationships with them. You believe or build stereotypes in broad strokes, singular, black and white narratives that have been told about them. You believe the lie that they have nothing to teach us and are incapable of contributing to the larger society.

Lord, break our hearts for the things that break your heart. Give us eyes to see others through your eyes. Give us humility so that we acknowledge our own need to learn and grow. (Photo via @thefreedomstory)

• To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but we're not alone. May we press on. || 16 minutes ago
    • Going to the Women's March in Seattle bc as a Christian, I believe women are fearfully and wonderfully made and are to be heard & respected. || 3 hours ago
    • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 3 hours ago
    • God bless America...so that we may be a blessing to the hurting, poor, vulnerable, immigrants, oppressed, marginalized. God bless America. || 1 day ago
    • Hope arrived. Not in a politician, system or "great" nation. Rather, hope arrived in the person of Jesus Christ. Place your hope in Christ. || 1 day ago
    • Whatever our political inclinations, may we have courage to both genuinely pray for our leaders and to speak prophetic truth to their power. || 1 day ago