In response to last week’s post about the Greatest Rock/Pop Band of all time and the numerous contributions and push back regarding my suggestion that U2 be considered as the greatest band, I’ll put it out there and share with you my personal 9 favorite artists – currently.
Why 9? Because you can you contribute #10.
Who are you really enjoying now? Who should I add to my playlist? Or who’s an artist you enjoy that’s still un-discovered?
I feel like I have a pretty eclectic taste in music. If I had any talent as a musician, I’d learn to somehow bring the sounds of my current favorites into one sound. And to be honest, I don’t listen to alot of new stuff because I don’t listen to any radio. I come across new artists when folks recommend them my way. Anyway, here’s my list in no particular order. Critique away…
- James Taylor – one of my all time favorites. want to go to one of his concerts.
- Fugees/Lauryn Hill/Wyclef Jean – i miss the fugees. love lauryn hill. and think that wyclef jean is brilliant.
- Common – one of my favorite emcees.
- Chris Tomlin – need some CCM here to prove i’m a christian to my readers. seriously, i really believe he’s the most gifted hymn writer of our time. so appreciated his willingness to play at our very own Q Cafe in partnership with a local station couple years ago.
- Stevie Wonder – isn’t he lovely?
- Coldplay – i know, i know. they’re popular but i can’t help it. i like chris martin’s hands. it’s a toss up between personal preference between U2 and cplay but i’m currently u2’d out.
- Bob Marley – what can i say?
- Blue Scholars – representing 206 of Seattle. they’re good and you’ll hear about them soon if you don’t know them already. i’d put up their ‘blink’ video but it would incite some hate emails my way.
- Josh Garrels – you’ve likely not heard of him. he played at the Q Cafe a few years ago and love his style of music.
And since Blue Scholars and Josh Garrels might be ‘new’ to some of you folks, here are some samples of their music:
* my honorable mentions: Bee Gees, Radiohead, Priscilla Ahn, Nas, David Crowder Band, Tyrone Wells. I would have put Priscilla on my list above but she ain’t returnin’ my emails to play the Q in the future. Support a fellow Korean brotha.