twitter and the spiritual crusades between mac vs pc

twitter2

First of all, I’ve sold out more of my soul and am now on Twitter [thanks for all the Twit advice].  My handle is @eugenecho.  My goal is to get 5,000,000 followers so I can start my own international city. Let me begin by thanking all the Eugene Cho(s) in the world for not being geekier or techier and taking the ID.  You all are truly servants.

But now that I’m twittering, switching over to the Mac might be the last straw before my soul is lost to the god of trendiness.  I recently purchased a used newer PC but over this weekend, I was seriously tempted to get a Mac.  I saw some folks demonstrate video and powerpoint stuff and was a little  envious.   And after my recent post about PC vs Mac, I had three people offer to send me money including one person that was willing to make up the entire difference between my church’s $800 budget and a new Mac.  Crazy.  I said, ‘No,’  but now, I’m a little tempted.

On Saturday night, I updated my Facebook status with this note:

Eugene is having a moment of weakness and thinking of getting a Mac…

and started laughing my head off at the responses that came in. Here’s a sample of some of the spiritual battle between PC vs. Macs.  Feel free to add you comical lines.

• that is a divine urging 🙂
  • that is a moment of strength! 🙂
  • that is a moment of divine inspiration 🙂
  • it is lent, now is the time to stand strong to your convictions.
  • Yes, you are confused because you are obviously having a moment of strength my friend. You can’t fully be relevant until you have a Mac.
  • i mean, Lent is all about repentance, right? 😀
  • Just think: Microsoft will call you for their next commercial: “I’m a hip pastor with rimmed glasses, and I’m a PC”
  • Blessed are those who are poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of mac… I mean God. 🙂
  • I know those apples are all shiny and beautiful, but consider this:2 Corinthians 11:14– “…[even] Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.”
  • PC’s represent the Dark Side, not the Mac.
  • Don’t worry Adam and Eve were also tempted by apples, although they fell i believe you will stand strong
  • Kindly show me the scriptural reference that designates the fruit eaten by Adam and Eve as apples!
  • Hey, church tradition is coming back like the mustache, and church tradition says it’s an apple
  • You shouldn’t quelch the Spirit……get the MAC

And here’s one more to close:

PS, it doesn’t matter what kind of computer you have.

sincerely,

the voice of reason.

Filed under: , , , , , , , ,

1. Johnny Laird says:

I am your follower
    I am your follower
    I am your follower

:-)))

2. steve gwon says:

my wife (the eve) was also tempted by the apple. how self-centered/anti-christian can apples be? naming everything “i” something…eluding to the point that “i” is the most important, the best. i’m not buying any apples until i hear a wii-phone or a wii-mac. i fought her off with a stick and we bought a nice refurbished dell. happens to be the cheapest, yet the most powerful, computer i have ever purchased. with economy going all into shambles, we are seeing some killer deals out there!

3. Randall says:

You mentioned video editing as something you want your computer to do.

Macs come (free) with iMovie.

A few years ago a movie edited completely in iMovie debuted at the Cannes film festival (story here).

I know Windows has Movie Maker but the differences between the two apps can be summarized with this commercial.

To be completely honest, if you’re somewhat serious about doing video, I’d highly recommend Final Cut Express. It’s untouchable save for the near-industry standard Final Cut Studio (which blows away Avid when you factor in cost and what it comes bundled with).

Using the first version of FCE, I was able to do this promo video for a church I used to attend (when it was made, the Matrix sequels were about to come out and there was a lot of hype about the 1000 Agent Smith sequence).

Maybe you can use your VAIO laptop to keep yourself mobile and get a iMac or a Mac Mini for the church’s video and audio needs?

4. Tom Asbury says:

I am a recent mover over to the mac side of the pool. I haven’t regretted it, but it was certainly a transition. You are right about the video stuff. It makes me look like I know what I’m doing.

Let us know which way you go.

Tom

5. Lon says:

welcome to twitter! will be adding you in a moment! Loved your sharing at ideacamp!

6. myclue says:

welcome to twitter! i’m a new reader of your blog and i’m following you too.

7. Alex Oh says:

Both are fine operating systems. It really depends on what kind of computer user you are.

Macs are much, much more user friendly than PCs. I usually notice that people who like Macs want to have access to everything with a click of a mouse button. I think Macs are recommended for people that want easy, quick-access, and user-friendly access to programs.

I prefer Windows just because its in the middle line – user friendly but easier access to files (like .cfg and .dat files). It’s possible to have access to crucial program files in Mac but its hidden by default because of one of Macs core principles: design & aesthetics = #1 priority.

But I agree, it really doesn’t matter what type of computer you have.

8. Matt says:

looking over at don miller’s blog, I wonder which gets more passionate responses…..
    mac vs pc OR to american car or not american car.

9. Tom says:

I think the passion around the whole mac/pc thing says a lot more about us–maybe about our need for myths and dramas–than it does about the relatively small and prosaic differences between machines.

Really funny satire re Twitter on the Daily Show last night.

Stewart’s ‘correspondent’ demonstrated the newest social networking site called ‘Grunter.’

She grunted the last part of her ‘report’

She told Stewart she was posting on “Grunter” for those who didn’t have the time and patience for Twitter :^)

10. Risa says:

My hubby is a computer specialist. He repairs a lot of PCs. It’s what makes him $$. We’d be worse than broke if he waited for Apple to break down…

(A noob here. And glad for the chance!)

11. d says:

PE, not only does the offer still stand, i will personally fly back up to seattle and give you a weekends worth of Mac tutorials.

12. Just Meee~ says:

did you notice that ECHO is part of your twitter name???? why not use that and run with it…

p.s. do you know a duck’s quack is about the only thing that won’t echo? ? ? ?

13. Jon Reid says:

Eugene, it’s like faith: You’ll never really know until you try jumping in.

Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest Took a train to Busan. Did not encounter any zombies but I was ready just in case.

Busan. First visit to this city (couple weeks ago) and was blown away by its beauty. Also, shocked that it has become the fifth largest containment port city in the world. That's a lot of import and export.

#MyAttemptToBeTheBestSmartphonePhotographer
#Pusan #SouthKorea

• Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 22 hours ago
  • Father, bless these Iraqi and Syrian refugee children that have already endured so much. As we pray, teach us how t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 2 days ago
  • Pray for Iraq. Pray for persecuted Church, minority groups (Yezidis) and Muslims alike who are suffering under ISIS: instagram.com/p/BZF2j6Ngrna/ || 2 days ago
  • "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." - a local Iraqi priest || 3 days ago
  • I've been traveling through Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan. Meeting local pastors/leaders, NGOs, and refugees. Join us on IG… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 3 days ago
  • Seeking justice is part of our discipleship. In other words, seek justice not just to change the world...but to be changed more like Christ. || 6 days ago