twitter and the spiritual crusades between mac vs pc

twitter2

First of all, I’ve sold out more of my soul and am now on Twitter [thanks for all the Twit advice].  My handle is @eugenecho.  My goal is to get 5,000,000 followers so I can start my own international city. Let me begin by thanking all the Eugene Cho(s) in the world for not being geekier or techier and taking the ID.  You all are truly servants.

But now that I’m twittering, switching over to the Mac might be the last straw before my soul is lost to the god of trendiness.  I recently purchased a used newer PC but over this weekend, I was seriously tempted to get a Mac.  I saw some folks demonstrate video and powerpoint stuff and was a little  envious.   And after my recent post about PC vs Mac, I had three people offer to send me money including one person that was willing to make up the entire difference between my church’s $800 budget and a new Mac.  Crazy.  I said, ‘No,’  but now, I’m a little tempted.

On Saturday night, I updated my Facebook status with this note:

Eugene is having a moment of weakness and thinking of getting a Mac…

and started laughing my head off at the responses that came in. Here’s a sample of some of the spiritual battle between PC vs. Macs.  Feel free to add you comical lines.

• that is a divine urging 🙂
  • that is a moment of strength! 🙂
  • that is a moment of divine inspiration 🙂
  • it is lent, now is the time to stand strong to your convictions.
  • Yes, you are confused because you are obviously having a moment of strength my friend. You can’t fully be relevant until you have a Mac.
  • i mean, Lent is all about repentance, right? 😀
  • Just think: Microsoft will call you for their next commercial: “I’m a hip pastor with rimmed glasses, and I’m a PC”
  • Blessed are those who are poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of mac… I mean God. 🙂
  • I know those apples are all shiny and beautiful, but consider this:2 Corinthians 11:14– “…[even] Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.”
  • PC’s represent the Dark Side, not the Mac.
  • Don’t worry Adam and Eve were also tempted by apples, although they fell i believe you will stand strong
  • Kindly show me the scriptural reference that designates the fruit eaten by Adam and Eve as apples!
  • Hey, church tradition is coming back like the mustache, and church tradition says it’s an apple
  • You shouldn’t quelch the Spirit……get the MAC

And here’s one more to close:

PS, it doesn’t matter what kind of computer you have.

sincerely,

the voice of reason.

Filed under: , , , , , , , ,

1. Johnny Laird says:

I am your follower
    I am your follower
    I am your follower

:-)))

2. steve gwon says:

my wife (the eve) was also tempted by the apple. how self-centered/anti-christian can apples be? naming everything “i” something…eluding to the point that “i” is the most important, the best. i’m not buying any apples until i hear a wii-phone or a wii-mac. i fought her off with a stick and we bought a nice refurbished dell. happens to be the cheapest, yet the most powerful, computer i have ever purchased. with economy going all into shambles, we are seeing some killer deals out there!

3. Randall says:

You mentioned video editing as something you want your computer to do.

Macs come (free) with iMovie.

A few years ago a movie edited completely in iMovie debuted at the Cannes film festival (story here).

I know Windows has Movie Maker but the differences between the two apps can be summarized with this commercial.

To be completely honest, if you’re somewhat serious about doing video, I’d highly recommend Final Cut Express. It’s untouchable save for the near-industry standard Final Cut Studio (which blows away Avid when you factor in cost and what it comes bundled with).

Using the first version of FCE, I was able to do this promo video for a church I used to attend (when it was made, the Matrix sequels were about to come out and there was a lot of hype about the 1000 Agent Smith sequence).

Maybe you can use your VAIO laptop to keep yourself mobile and get a iMac or a Mac Mini for the church’s video and audio needs?

4. Tom Asbury says:

I am a recent mover over to the mac side of the pool. I haven’t regretted it, but it was certainly a transition. You are right about the video stuff. It makes me look like I know what I’m doing.

Let us know which way you go.

Tom

5. Lon says:

welcome to twitter! will be adding you in a moment! Loved your sharing at ideacamp!

6. myclue says:

welcome to twitter! i’m a new reader of your blog and i’m following you too.

7. Alex Oh says:

Both are fine operating systems. It really depends on what kind of computer user you are.

Macs are much, much more user friendly than PCs. I usually notice that people who like Macs want to have access to everything with a click of a mouse button. I think Macs are recommended for people that want easy, quick-access, and user-friendly access to programs.

I prefer Windows just because its in the middle line – user friendly but easier access to files (like .cfg and .dat files). It’s possible to have access to crucial program files in Mac but its hidden by default because of one of Macs core principles: design & aesthetics = #1 priority.

But I agree, it really doesn’t matter what type of computer you have.

8. Matt says:

looking over at don miller’s blog, I wonder which gets more passionate responses…..
    mac vs pc OR to american car or not american car.

9. Tom says:

I think the passion around the whole mac/pc thing says a lot more about us–maybe about our need for myths and dramas–than it does about the relatively small and prosaic differences between machines.

Really funny satire re Twitter on the Daily Show last night.

Stewart’s ‘correspondent’ demonstrated the newest social networking site called ‘Grunter.’

She grunted the last part of her ‘report’

She told Stewart she was posting on “Grunter” for those who didn’t have the time and patience for Twitter :^)

10. Risa says:

My hubby is a computer specialist. He repairs a lot of PCs. It’s what makes him $$. We’d be worse than broke if he waited for Apple to break down…

(A noob here. And glad for the chance!)

11. d says:

PE, not only does the offer still stand, i will personally fly back up to seattle and give you a weekends worth of Mac tutorials.

12. Just Meee~ says:

did you notice that ECHO is part of your twitter name???? why not use that and run with it…

p.s. do you know a duck’s quack is about the only thing that won’t echo? ? ? ?

13. Jon Reid says:

Eugene, it’s like faith: You’ll never really know until you try jumping in.

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.