twitter and the spiritual crusades between mac vs pc

twitter2

First of all, I’ve sold out more of my soul and am now on Twitter [thanks for all the Twit advice].  My handle is @eugenecho.  My goal is to get 5,000,000 followers so I can start my own international city. Let me begin by thanking all the Eugene Cho(s) in the world for not being geekier or techier and taking the ID.  You all are truly servants.

But now that I’m twittering, switching over to the Mac might be the last straw before my soul is lost to the god of trendiness.  I recently purchased a used newer PC but over this weekend, I was seriously tempted to get a Mac.  I saw some folks demonstrate video and powerpoint stuff and was a little  envious.   And after my recent post about PC vs Mac, I had three people offer to send me money including one person that was willing to make up the entire difference between my church’s $800 budget and a new Mac.  Crazy.  I said, ‘No,’  but now, I’m a little tempted.

On Saturday night, I updated my Facebook status with this note:

Eugene is having a moment of weakness and thinking of getting a Mac…

and started laughing my head off at the responses that came in. Here’s a sample of some of the spiritual battle between PC vs. Macs.  Feel free to add you comical lines.

• that is a divine urging 🙂
  • that is a moment of strength! 🙂
  • that is a moment of divine inspiration 🙂
  • it is lent, now is the time to stand strong to your convictions.
  • Yes, you are confused because you are obviously having a moment of strength my friend. You can’t fully be relevant until you have a Mac.
  • i mean, Lent is all about repentance, right? 😀
  • Just think: Microsoft will call you for their next commercial: “I’m a hip pastor with rimmed glasses, and I’m a PC”
  • Blessed are those who are poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of mac… I mean God. 🙂
  • I know those apples are all shiny and beautiful, but consider this:2 Corinthians 11:14– “…[even] Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.”
  • PC’s represent the Dark Side, not the Mac.
  • Don’t worry Adam and Eve were also tempted by apples, although they fell i believe you will stand strong
  • Kindly show me the scriptural reference that designates the fruit eaten by Adam and Eve as apples!
  • Hey, church tradition is coming back like the mustache, and church tradition says it’s an apple
  • You shouldn’t quelch the Spirit……get the MAC

And here’s one more to close:

PS, it doesn’t matter what kind of computer you have.

sincerely,

the voice of reason.

Filed under: , , , , , , , ,

1. Johnny Laird says:

I am your follower
    I am your follower
    I am your follower

:-)))

2. steve gwon says:

my wife (the eve) was also tempted by the apple. how self-centered/anti-christian can apples be? naming everything “i” something…eluding to the point that “i” is the most important, the best. i’m not buying any apples until i hear a wii-phone or a wii-mac. i fought her off with a stick and we bought a nice refurbished dell. happens to be the cheapest, yet the most powerful, computer i have ever purchased. with economy going all into shambles, we are seeing some killer deals out there!

3. Randall says:

You mentioned video editing as something you want your computer to do.

Macs come (free) with iMovie.

A few years ago a movie edited completely in iMovie debuted at the Cannes film festival (story here).

I know Windows has Movie Maker but the differences between the two apps can be summarized with this commercial.

To be completely honest, if you’re somewhat serious about doing video, I’d highly recommend Final Cut Express. It’s untouchable save for the near-industry standard Final Cut Studio (which blows away Avid when you factor in cost and what it comes bundled with).

Using the first version of FCE, I was able to do this promo video for a church I used to attend (when it was made, the Matrix sequels were about to come out and there was a lot of hype about the 1000 Agent Smith sequence).

Maybe you can use your VAIO laptop to keep yourself mobile and get a iMac or a Mac Mini for the church’s video and audio needs?

4. Tom Asbury says:

I am a recent mover over to the mac side of the pool. I haven’t regretted it, but it was certainly a transition. You are right about the video stuff. It makes me look like I know what I’m doing.

Let us know which way you go.

Tom

5. Lon says:

welcome to twitter! will be adding you in a moment! Loved your sharing at ideacamp!

6. myclue says:

welcome to twitter! i’m a new reader of your blog and i’m following you too.

7. Alex Oh says:

Both are fine operating systems. It really depends on what kind of computer user you are.

Macs are much, much more user friendly than PCs. I usually notice that people who like Macs want to have access to everything with a click of a mouse button. I think Macs are recommended for people that want easy, quick-access, and user-friendly access to programs.

I prefer Windows just because its in the middle line – user friendly but easier access to files (like .cfg and .dat files). It’s possible to have access to crucial program files in Mac but its hidden by default because of one of Macs core principles: design & aesthetics = #1 priority.

But I agree, it really doesn’t matter what type of computer you have.

8. Matt says:

looking over at don miller’s blog, I wonder which gets more passionate responses…..
    mac vs pc OR to american car or not american car.

9. Tom says:

I think the passion around the whole mac/pc thing says a lot more about us–maybe about our need for myths and dramas–than it does about the relatively small and prosaic differences between machines.

Really funny satire re Twitter on the Daily Show last night.

Stewart’s ‘correspondent’ demonstrated the newest social networking site called ‘Grunter.’

She grunted the last part of her ‘report’

She told Stewart she was posting on “Grunter” for those who didn’t have the time and patience for Twitter :^)

10. Risa says:

My hubby is a computer specialist. He repairs a lot of PCs. It’s what makes him $$. We’d be worse than broke if he waited for Apple to break down…

(A noob here. And glad for the chance!)

11. d says:

PE, not only does the offer still stand, i will personally fly back up to seattle and give you a weekends worth of Mac tutorials.

12. Just Meee~ says:

did you notice that ECHO is part of your twitter name???? why not use that and run with it…

p.s. do you know a duck’s quack is about the only thing that won’t echo? ? ? ?

13. Jon Reid says:

Eugene, it’s like faith: You’ll never really know until you try jumping in.

"He must become greater; I must become less." - John 3:30 We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on.