twitter and the spiritual crusades between mac vs pc

twitter2

First of all, I’ve sold out more of my soul and am now on Twitter [thanks for all the Twit advice].  My handle is @eugenecho.  My goal is to get 5,000,000 followers so I can start my own international city. Let me begin by thanking all the Eugene Cho(s) in the world for not being geekier or techier and taking the ID.  You all are truly servants.

But now that I’m twittering, switching over to the Mac might be the last straw before my soul is lost to the god of trendiness.  I recently purchased a used newer PC but over this weekend, I was seriously tempted to get a Mac.  I saw some folks demonstrate video and powerpoint stuff and was a little  envious.   And after my recent post about PC vs Mac, I had three people offer to send me money including one person that was willing to make up the entire difference between my church’s $800 budget and a new Mac.  Crazy.  I said, ‘No,’  but now, I’m a little tempted.

On Saturday night, I updated my Facebook status with this note:

Eugene is having a moment of weakness and thinking of getting a Mac…

and started laughing my head off at the responses that came in. Here’s a sample of some of the spiritual battle between PC vs. Macs.  Feel free to add you comical lines.

• that is a divine urging 🙂
  • that is a moment of strength! 🙂
  • that is a moment of divine inspiration 🙂
  • it is lent, now is the time to stand strong to your convictions.
  • Yes, you are confused because you are obviously having a moment of strength my friend. You can’t fully be relevant until you have a Mac.
  • i mean, Lent is all about repentance, right? 😀
  • Just think: Microsoft will call you for their next commercial: “I’m a hip pastor with rimmed glasses, and I’m a PC”
  • Blessed are those who are poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of mac… I mean God. 🙂
  • I know those apples are all shiny and beautiful, but consider this:2 Corinthians 11:14– “…[even] Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.”
  • PC’s represent the Dark Side, not the Mac.
  • Don’t worry Adam and Eve were also tempted by apples, although they fell i believe you will stand strong
  • Kindly show me the scriptural reference that designates the fruit eaten by Adam and Eve as apples!
  • Hey, church tradition is coming back like the mustache, and church tradition says it’s an apple
  • You shouldn’t quelch the Spirit……get the MAC

And here’s one more to close:

PS, it doesn’t matter what kind of computer you have.

sincerely,

the voice of reason.

Filed under: , , , , , , , ,

1. Johnny Laird says:

I am your follower
    I am your follower
    I am your follower

:-)))

2. steve gwon says:

my wife (the eve) was also tempted by the apple. how self-centered/anti-christian can apples be? naming everything “i” something…eluding to the point that “i” is the most important, the best. i’m not buying any apples until i hear a wii-phone or a wii-mac. i fought her off with a stick and we bought a nice refurbished dell. happens to be the cheapest, yet the most powerful, computer i have ever purchased. with economy going all into shambles, we are seeing some killer deals out there!

3. Randall says:

You mentioned video editing as something you want your computer to do.

Macs come (free) with iMovie.

A few years ago a movie edited completely in iMovie debuted at the Cannes film festival (story here).

I know Windows has Movie Maker but the differences between the two apps can be summarized with this commercial.

To be completely honest, if you’re somewhat serious about doing video, I’d highly recommend Final Cut Express. It’s untouchable save for the near-industry standard Final Cut Studio (which blows away Avid when you factor in cost and what it comes bundled with).

Using the first version of FCE, I was able to do this promo video for a church I used to attend (when it was made, the Matrix sequels were about to come out and there was a lot of hype about the 1000 Agent Smith sequence).

Maybe you can use your VAIO laptop to keep yourself mobile and get a iMac or a Mac Mini for the church’s video and audio needs?

4. Tom Asbury says:

I am a recent mover over to the mac side of the pool. I haven’t regretted it, but it was certainly a transition. You are right about the video stuff. It makes me look like I know what I’m doing.

Let us know which way you go.

Tom

5. Lon says:

welcome to twitter! will be adding you in a moment! Loved your sharing at ideacamp!

6. myclue says:

welcome to twitter! i’m a new reader of your blog and i’m following you too.

7. Alex Oh says:

Both are fine operating systems. It really depends on what kind of computer user you are.

Macs are much, much more user friendly than PCs. I usually notice that people who like Macs want to have access to everything with a click of a mouse button. I think Macs are recommended for people that want easy, quick-access, and user-friendly access to programs.

I prefer Windows just because its in the middle line – user friendly but easier access to files (like .cfg and .dat files). It’s possible to have access to crucial program files in Mac but its hidden by default because of one of Macs core principles: design & aesthetics = #1 priority.

But I agree, it really doesn’t matter what type of computer you have.

8. Matt says:

looking over at don miller’s blog, I wonder which gets more passionate responses…..
    mac vs pc OR to american car or not american car.

9. Tom says:

I think the passion around the whole mac/pc thing says a lot more about us–maybe about our need for myths and dramas–than it does about the relatively small and prosaic differences between machines.

Really funny satire re Twitter on the Daily Show last night.

Stewart’s ‘correspondent’ demonstrated the newest social networking site called ‘Grunter.’

She grunted the last part of her ‘report’

She told Stewart she was posting on “Grunter” for those who didn’t have the time and patience for Twitter :^)

10. Risa says:

My hubby is a computer specialist. He repairs a lot of PCs. It’s what makes him $$. We’d be worse than broke if he waited for Apple to break down…

(A noob here. And glad for the chance!)

11. d says:

PE, not only does the offer still stand, i will personally fly back up to seattle and give you a weekends worth of Mac tutorials.

12. Just Meee~ says:

did you notice that ECHO is part of your twitter name???? why not use that and run with it…

p.s. do you know a duck’s quack is about the only thing that won’t echo? ? ? ?

13. Jon Reid says:

Eugene, it’s like faith: You’ll never really know until you try jumping in.

Grateful. Still reflecting on the letters that I've received from classmates and students that have come before me and after me. Never imagined all that God would have in store for me. Lots of humbling things but in the midst of them, there were literally thousands upon thousands of daily decisions and choices to be faithful. That's what matters. Seen or unseen. Noticed or unnoticed. You do your best and sometimes you stumble and fumble along but nevertheless, seeking to be faithful.

Also, you know you're getting old when your school honors you with a Distinguished Alumni Award. Lol. 47 is the new 27. Or something like that. Here's to the next 47. In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.
Pray and choose wisely.
Then invest deeply. May our compassion not just be limited to the West or to those that look like us. Lifting up the people of Iraq, Iran, and Kurdistan in prayer after the 7.3 earthquake - including the many new friends I met on a recent trip to Iraq.

The death toll rises to over 400 and over 7,000 injured in multiple cities and hundreds of villages along the Western border with Iraq.

Lord, in your mercy... We are reminded again and again...that we are Resurrection People living in a Dark Friday world.

It's been a tough, emotional, and painful week - especially as we lament the horrible tragedy of the church shootings at Sutherland Springs. In the midst of this lament, I've been carried by the hope, beauty, and promise of our baptisms last Sunday and the raw and honest testimonies of God's mercy, love, and grace.

Indeed, God is not yet done. May we take heart for Christ has overcome the world. "Without genuine relationships with the poor, we rob them of their dignity and they become mere projects. And God did not intend for anyone to become our projects." Grateful this quote from my book, Overrated, is resonating with so many folks - individuals and  NGOs. / design by @preemptivelove