twitter and the spiritual crusades between mac vs pc

twitter2

First of all, I’ve sold out more of my soul and am now on Twitter [thanks for all the Twit advice].  My handle is @eugenecho.  My goal is to get 5,000,000 followers so I can start my own international city. Let me begin by thanking all the Eugene Cho(s) in the world for not being geekier or techier and taking the ID.  You all are truly servants.

But now that I’m twittering, switching over to the Mac might be the last straw before my soul is lost to the god of trendiness.  I recently purchased a used newer PC but over this weekend, I was seriously tempted to get a Mac.  I saw some folks demonstrate video and powerpoint stuff and was a little  envious.   And after my recent post about PC vs Mac, I had three people offer to send me money including one person that was willing to make up the entire difference between my church’s $800 budget and a new Mac.  Crazy.  I said, ‘No,’  but now, I’m a little tempted.

On Saturday night, I updated my Facebook status with this note:

Eugene is having a moment of weakness and thinking of getting a Mac…

and started laughing my head off at the responses that came in. Here’s a sample of some of the spiritual battle between PC vs. Macs.  Feel free to add you comical lines.

• that is a divine urging 🙂
  • that is a moment of strength! 🙂
  • that is a moment of divine inspiration 🙂
  • it is lent, now is the time to stand strong to your convictions.
  • Yes, you are confused because you are obviously having a moment of strength my friend. You can’t fully be relevant until you have a Mac.
  • i mean, Lent is all about repentance, right? 😀
  • Just think: Microsoft will call you for their next commercial: “I’m a hip pastor with rimmed glasses, and I’m a PC”
  • Blessed are those who are poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of mac… I mean God. 🙂
  • I know those apples are all shiny and beautiful, but consider this:2 Corinthians 11:14– “…[even] Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.”
  • PC’s represent the Dark Side, not the Mac.
  • Don’t worry Adam and Eve were also tempted by apples, although they fell i believe you will stand strong
  • Kindly show me the scriptural reference that designates the fruit eaten by Adam and Eve as apples!
  • Hey, church tradition is coming back like the mustache, and church tradition says it’s an apple
  • You shouldn’t quelch the Spirit……get the MAC

And here’s one more to close:

PS, it doesn’t matter what kind of computer you have.

sincerely,

the voice of reason.

Filed under: , , , , , , , ,

1. Johnny Laird says:

I am your follower
    I am your follower
    I am your follower

:-)))

2. steve gwon says:

my wife (the eve) was also tempted by the apple. how self-centered/anti-christian can apples be? naming everything “i” something…eluding to the point that “i” is the most important, the best. i’m not buying any apples until i hear a wii-phone or a wii-mac. i fought her off with a stick and we bought a nice refurbished dell. happens to be the cheapest, yet the most powerful, computer i have ever purchased. with economy going all into shambles, we are seeing some killer deals out there!

3. Randall says:

You mentioned video editing as something you want your computer to do.

Macs come (free) with iMovie.

A few years ago a movie edited completely in iMovie debuted at the Cannes film festival (story here).

I know Windows has Movie Maker but the differences between the two apps can be summarized with this commercial.

To be completely honest, if you’re somewhat serious about doing video, I’d highly recommend Final Cut Express. It’s untouchable save for the near-industry standard Final Cut Studio (which blows away Avid when you factor in cost and what it comes bundled with).

Using the first version of FCE, I was able to do this promo video for a church I used to attend (when it was made, the Matrix sequels were about to come out and there was a lot of hype about the 1000 Agent Smith sequence).

Maybe you can use your VAIO laptop to keep yourself mobile and get a iMac or a Mac Mini for the church’s video and audio needs?

4. Tom Asbury says:

I am a recent mover over to the mac side of the pool. I haven’t regretted it, but it was certainly a transition. You are right about the video stuff. It makes me look like I know what I’m doing.

Let us know which way you go.

Tom

5. Lon says:

welcome to twitter! will be adding you in a moment! Loved your sharing at ideacamp!

6. myclue says:

welcome to twitter! i’m a new reader of your blog and i’m following you too.

7. Alex Oh says:

Both are fine operating systems. It really depends on what kind of computer user you are.

Macs are much, much more user friendly than PCs. I usually notice that people who like Macs want to have access to everything with a click of a mouse button. I think Macs are recommended for people that want easy, quick-access, and user-friendly access to programs.

I prefer Windows just because its in the middle line – user friendly but easier access to files (like .cfg and .dat files). It’s possible to have access to crucial program files in Mac but its hidden by default because of one of Macs core principles: design & aesthetics = #1 priority.

But I agree, it really doesn’t matter what type of computer you have.

8. Matt says:

looking over at don miller’s blog, I wonder which gets more passionate responses…..
    mac vs pc OR to american car or not american car.

9. Tom says:

I think the passion around the whole mac/pc thing says a lot more about us–maybe about our need for myths and dramas–than it does about the relatively small and prosaic differences between machines.

Really funny satire re Twitter on the Daily Show last night.

Stewart’s ‘correspondent’ demonstrated the newest social networking site called ‘Grunter.’

She grunted the last part of her ‘report’

She told Stewart she was posting on “Grunter” for those who didn’t have the time and patience for Twitter :^)

10. Risa says:

My hubby is a computer specialist. He repairs a lot of PCs. It’s what makes him $$. We’d be worse than broke if he waited for Apple to break down…

(A noob here. And glad for the chance!)

11. d says:

PE, not only does the offer still stand, i will personally fly back up to seattle and give you a weekends worth of Mac tutorials.

12. Just Meee~ says:

did you notice that ECHO is part of your twitter name???? why not use that and run with it…

p.s. do you know a duck’s quack is about the only thing that won’t echo? ? ? ?

13. Jon Reid says:

Eugene, it’s like faith: You’ll never really know until you try jumping in.

Preach the Gospel at all times and sometimes...use signs.

Really loved this sign from one of our church congregants at the women's march.

Counter cultural. Subversive.
Life giving. Good news. To support both the equality of women and the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but I know we're not alone. May we press on. And may we lead with hope.

I'm at the Women's March in Seattle to show my solidarity with my wife, my mothers, my daughters, and the female congregants of my church. I'm also here to model for my son what we believe in our home. Many people have already expressed their disappointment, dismay, and disgust with my decision. Such is life. We will always disappoint someone. And that's also a lot of words that begin with "d." I'm here not because I agree or disagree with every single statement or sign at this march (although I really liked this one) but because as a Christian, I believe in the fundamental truth that women are fearfully and wonderfully made in the image of God. They are to be valued, heard, and respected.

And because I believe we can't be a flourishing society without the flourishing of women. And because the Church cannot be the Church without the gifts and voices of women. All the gifts of women.

And in doing so, may we together honor the sanctity of life - from womb to tomb. Collaboration.

col·lab·o·ra·tion
kəˌlabəˈrāSH(ə)n/
noun

the action of working with someone or a group of others  to produce or create something.

May we hold our logos, egos, and tribalism have their place. May we hold them loosely for they too shall pass. May we collaborate for the sake of the greater Kingdom of God ... which endures forever. As we honor Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., don't forget the God behind the man. The one true God who deposited this dream into MLK is still speaking to us today. Are we listening?

Be courageous. Be brave.

Being invited by the King Family to speak at the MLK worship service at Ebenezer Baptist Church in 2016 remains one of the most unexpected honors of my life. On the right is his daughter, Dr. Bernice King and his sister, Dr. Christine King Farris. Walking throughstreet markets in different parts of the world is the best. Soaking in the culture. Listening to the local language and music. Enjoying the amazing cuisine. Meeting new friends. Praying for the Gospel to penetrate. #ChiangRai Blessed be the local, indigenous leaders for it is they who live in the very communities they seek to love. For it is they who understand their context and culture...better than a Westerner ever will. For it is they who will continue to tenaciously pursue a better world with hope, justice and love when visitors like me leave.

Yes, blessed be the local, indigenous leaders.

• Preach the Gospel at all times and sometimes...use signs. Countercultural. Subversive. Life giving. Truth. - instagram.com/p/BPlwJneBSiW/ || 4 hours ago
  • Really loved this sign from the women's march from one of our church congregants. Counter cultural. Subversive. L… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 1 day ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn can be lonely but we're not alone. Lead with hope: instagram.com/p/BPjMGTOhMjL/ || 1 day ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but we're not alone. May we press on. || 1 day ago
  • Going to the Women's March in Seattle bc as a Christian, I believe women are fearfully and wonderfully made and are to be heard & respected. || 1 day ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 1 day ago