video interview: dave gibbons & ‘the monkey and the fish’

gibbons21I want to introduce you to Dave Gibbons. He’s known in some circles and not in others but what he has to share and offer is important to the larger Church – especially as the World changes in a way that the majority of the Church cannot see or [want to] acknowledge.  I first met Dave about 14 years ago on a tour bus in Seoul, Korea [a long story].  This was before he planted NewSong Church and before Quest Church was even a thought in my heart.

One of the things that’s most impressed me about Dave – in his various roles – is his vision as a ‘social entrepeneur.’ And honestly, I’m also encouraged that he’s one of the handful of Asian-American faces that’s recognized in the so called ‘mainstream subculture of Western Christianity’.  Truth be told, he’s half Korean and half Irish but we’re going to go ahead and claim him.

As my readers know, I’m working through my list of books I want to read this year and his new book, The Monkey and the Fish: Liquid Leadership in a Third Culture Church,is on that list.  I had a chance to sit down with him and ask about leadership, his understanding of social entrepreneurship, ministry and of course, the idea of “Third Culture’ and The Monkey and the Fish.’  You may also be interested in checking out my recent video interviews with Scot McKnight and Phyllis Tickle.

Here’s the interview:

Filed under: asian-american, christianity, emerging church, ministry, pastors, religion,

1. good stuff man, thanks for sharing this. I started reading his book on the plane today and am absolutely loving it…

2. Wayne Park says:

Dave cites Nouwen’s In The Name of Jesus as his premiere book for leadership. Man am I thankful for this, as it is a book that’s affecting me deeply now. I’m glad he didn’t mention something from John Maxwell or some other CEO-type leadership approach, not that it’s bad, but it’s just not it when it comes to pastoral leadership, I think.

3. coachmickey says:

Dave and Eugene,
    Awesome and thanks for sharing.
    I will be speaking with Dave before I leave for France and The Philippines.
    Who knows, a side trip to a seriously rural area is in the plan too?

4. steph says:

great book – i actually just finished reading it and immediately turned back to the beginning to read it over again! thanks for the interview.

5. akoosticman says:

going to read this on the plane ride back tomorrow! good seeing you eugene!

6. Lon says:

I’m reading this one right now.. thanks for sharing to the both of you!

7. Charles Lee says:

Dude…I should have had you do all the interviews at the Idea Camp…:) You’re awesome. It was good to hang out with you this past weekend.

8. Barb says:

Eugene, I love all your interviews–I’ve just finished this book–I’ve been trying to tell people what it is about–now I’ll send them a link to this interview.

9. daniel so says:

Eugene — Great interview! Dave’s insights into leadership are really powerful. I’m still wrapping my head around some of the things he talked about at The Idea Camp… leadership is building trust and bearing pain; leadership is painful adaptation. I’m with Wayne – that Dave cites Nouwen as a primary influence is so encouraging.

10. DK says:

Eugene! It was great downing some Chik-Fil-A and In N Out while talking about the Literacy issues of our friend at the table… haha. would love to visit Seattle some day and hang with y’all! Great job on the interview

11. […] the way, davegibbons.tv is now powered by wordpress too! Plus, Eugene Cho interviewed Dave this past weekend; watch the video at eugenecho.com […]

12. What a great book.. the book says several things which seem so obvious to many people who live outside of America that you wonder why anyone would write a whole book about it. But these are not that obvious to large segments of the evangelical world in the U.S.

13. […] grateful for these words, working in my soul right now. Which is why I was so thrilled to hear in Eugene Cho’s interview of Dave Gibbons that his (Gibbon’s) fav book on leadership is the above book by Nouwen. You kind of see why […]

14. Currently it looks like BlogEngine is the best blogging platform available right now. (from what I’ve read) Is that what you’re using on your blog?

15. Janean Devan says:

Usually I do not read post on blogs, however I would like to say that this write-up very pressured me to check out and do it! Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thanks, quite nice post.

Preach the Gospel at all times and sometimes...use signs.

Really loved this sign from one of our church congregants at the women's march.

Counter cultural. Subversive.
Life giving. Good news. To support both the equality of women and the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but I know we're not alone. May we press on. And may we lead with hope.

I'm at the Women's March in Seattle to show my solidarity with my wife, my mothers, my daughters, and the female congregants of my church. I'm also here to model for my son what we believe in our home. Many people have already expressed their disappointment, dismay, and disgust with my decision. Such is life. We will always disappoint someone. And that's also a lot of words that begin with "d." I'm here not because I agree or disagree with every single statement or sign at this march (although I really liked this one) but because as a Christian, I believe in the fundamental truth that women are fearfully and wonderfully made in the image of God. They are to be valued, heard, and respected.

And because I believe we can't be a flourishing society without the flourishing of women. And because the Church cannot be the Church without the gifts and voices of women. All the gifts of women.

And in doing so, may we together honor the sanctity of life - from womb to tomb. Collaboration.

col·lab·o·ra·tion
kəˌlabəˈrāSH(ə)n/
noun

the action of working with someone or a group of others  to produce or create something.

May we hold our logos, egos, and tribalism have their place. May we hold them loosely for they too shall pass. May we collaborate for the sake of the greater Kingdom of God ... which endures forever. As we honor Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., don't forget the God behind the man. The one true God who deposited this dream into MLK is still speaking to us today. Are we listening?

Be courageous. Be brave.

Being invited by the King Family to speak at the MLK worship service at Ebenezer Baptist Church in 2016 remains one of the most unexpected honors of my life. On the right is his daughter, Dr. Bernice King and his sister, Dr. Christine King Farris. Walking throughstreet markets in different parts of the world is the best. Soaking in the culture. Listening to the local language and music. Enjoying the amazing cuisine. Meeting new friends. Praying for the Gospel to penetrate. #ChiangRai Blessed be the local, indigenous leaders for it is they who live in the very communities they seek to love. For it is they who understand their context and culture...better than a Westerner ever will. For it is they who will continue to tenaciously pursue a better world with hope, justice and love when visitors like me leave.

Yes, blessed be the local, indigenous leaders.

• Preach the Gospel at all times and sometimes...use signs. Countercultural. Subversive. Life giving. Truth. - instagram.com/p/BPlwJneBSiW/ || 4 hours ago
  • Really loved this sign from the women's march from one of our church congregants. Counter cultural. Subversive. L… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 1 day ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn can be lonely but we're not alone. Lead with hope: instagram.com/p/BPjMGTOhMjL/ || 1 day ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but we're not alone. May we press on. || 1 day ago
  • Going to the Women's March in Seattle bc as a Christian, I believe women are fearfully and wonderfully made and are to be heard & respected. || 1 day ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 1 day ago