video interview: dave gibbons & ‘the monkey and the fish’

gibbons21I want to introduce you to Dave Gibbons. He’s known in some circles and not in others but what he has to share and offer is important to the larger Church – especially as the World changes in a way that the majority of the Church cannot see or [want to] acknowledge.  I first met Dave about 14 years ago on a tour bus in Seoul, Korea [a long story].  This was before he planted NewSong Church and before Quest Church was even a thought in my heart.

One of the things that’s most impressed me about Dave – in his various roles – is his vision as a ‘social entrepeneur.’ And honestly, I’m also encouraged that he’s one of the handful of Asian-American faces that’s recognized in the so called ‘mainstream subculture of Western Christianity’.  Truth be told, he’s half Korean and half Irish but we’re going to go ahead and claim him.

As my readers know, I’m working through my list of books I want to read this year and his new book, The Monkey and the Fish: Liquid Leadership in a Third Culture Church,is on that list.  I had a chance to sit down with him and ask about leadership, his understanding of social entrepreneurship, ministry and of course, the idea of “Third Culture’ and The Monkey and the Fish.’  You may also be interested in checking out my recent video interviews with Scot McKnight and Phyllis Tickle.

Here’s the interview:

Filed under: asian-american, christianity, emerging church, ministry, pastors, religion,

1. good stuff man, thanks for sharing this. I started reading his book on the plane today and am absolutely loving it…

2. Wayne Park says:

Dave cites Nouwen’s In The Name of Jesus as his premiere book for leadership. Man am I thankful for this, as it is a book that’s affecting me deeply now. I’m glad he didn’t mention something from John Maxwell or some other CEO-type leadership approach, not that it’s bad, but it’s just not it when it comes to pastoral leadership, I think.

3. coachmickey says:

Dave and Eugene,
    Awesome and thanks for sharing.
    I will be speaking with Dave before I leave for France and The Philippines.
    Who knows, a side trip to a seriously rural area is in the plan too?

4. steph says:

great book – i actually just finished reading it and immediately turned back to the beginning to read it over again! thanks for the interview.

5. akoosticman says:

going to read this on the plane ride back tomorrow! good seeing you eugene!

6. Lon says:

I’m reading this one right now.. thanks for sharing to the both of you!

7. Charles Lee says:

Dude…I should have had you do all the interviews at the Idea Camp…:) You’re awesome. It was good to hang out with you this past weekend.

8. Barb says:

Eugene, I love all your interviews–I’ve just finished this book–I’ve been trying to tell people what it is about–now I’ll send them a link to this interview.

9. daniel so says:

Eugene — Great interview! Dave’s insights into leadership are really powerful. I’m still wrapping my head around some of the things he talked about at The Idea Camp… leadership is building trust and bearing pain; leadership is painful adaptation. I’m with Wayne – that Dave cites Nouwen as a primary influence is so encouraging.

10. DK says:

Eugene! It was great downing some Chik-Fil-A and In N Out while talking about the Literacy issues of our friend at the table… haha. would love to visit Seattle some day and hang with y’all! Great job on the interview

11. […] the way, davegibbons.tv is now powered by wordpress too! Plus, Eugene Cho interviewed Dave this past weekend; watch the video at eugenecho.com […]

12. What a great book.. the book says several things which seem so obvious to many people who live outside of America that you wonder why anyone would write a whole book about it. But these are not that obvious to large segments of the evangelical world in the U.S.

13. […] grateful for these words, working in my soul right now. Which is why I was so thrilled to hear in Eugene Cho’s interview of Dave Gibbons that his (Gibbon’s) fav book on leadership is the above book by Nouwen. You kind of see why […]

14. Currently it looks like BlogEngine is the best blogging platform available right now. (from what I’ve read) Is that what you’re using on your blog?

15. Janean Devan says:

Usually I do not read post on blogs, however I would like to say that this write-up very pressured me to check out and do it! Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thanks, quite nice post.

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• "They got money for wars but can't feed the poor." ~ Tupac #trumpbudget || 18 hours ago
  • Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 2 days ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 4 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 4 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 4 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 5 days ago