charity: water

Hey folks, I’m hanging out here in Southern California speaking and learning at a new “unconference” called The Idea Camp. It’s been referred to as an “unconference” because the event is free and focus placed on the conversations rather than just the speakers.  How wonderful is that concept?

Yesterday, I led a chat on ‘Engaging Culture and Conversation’ and tonight, I have the privilege of sharing a little bit of our global poverty initative with everyone here.  If you’re interested, you can watch it LIVE online at http://theideacamplive.com.

After my chat, you’ll want to stick around to watch an interview a presentation with Scott Harrison, founder and president of Charity:Water.  I’m incredibly excited because it happens to be one of my favorite orgs and most of you already know that water happens to be an issue dear to me.  It wasn’t planned but we’ll get a chance to grab some food and chat afterwards.

But in thinking of Charity:Water, I wanted to ask you this simple question:

What are some of your favority non-profit orgs and causes?  Why?

Filed under: , , ,

1. Melissa says:

My favorites are:
    * Free the Slaves (www.freetheslaves.net)
    * Food for the Hungry (www.fh.org)
    * Union Gospel Mission (www.ugm.org)
    * The Butterfly Project (www.thebutterflyproject.com)

2. […] the original here: tonight w/ charity:water « beauty and depravity :because-it-happens, Charity, incredibly-excited, minute-chat, scott, […]

3. Debbie says:

The Compassion Center in Salfit, Palestine. A Christian NGO which works in an almost 100% Mulsim community. Among other things, we train women in computers, secretarial skills and English to equip them with job skills. We also provide summer camps and year round support for local kids. The center is connected with a relief project as well, which provides food, clothing and medical care for those in need.

I teach English for the Hanan Center. One of my classes is for the Governorate of Salfit. All of my students in the class work for the local government. They will tell you that water is a HUGE issue here. Salfit is rich in natural springs so the Jewish settlements are built all around it and the Palestinians have to pay to get their own water back.

Sewage from homes and chemicals from factories up in the Jewish Settlements on the hills surrounding the town pour down into Salfit. Black water flows within feet of homes in some areas. Agriculture is destroyed, animals die, people have skin diseases and cancer because of it, children are constantly sick. In the settlements, there are swimming pools and there is clean water for everyone to drink. The people of Salfit have no way of defending themselves beyond recording and publishing the details of the situation. The end result of Zionist theology.

4. Wayne Park says:

great talk E; Ash and I watched it all online as well as the following presentation by Scott. Honestly, I’m envious of having missed out; alas, I must be faithful to school for the time being.

5. I could use some water…the water pump that supplies water pressure to my area has been barely functional for almost 4 months now.
    When I turn a faucet and water flows forth…it seems like a miracle. Seriously, it’s an odd feeling to be so thankful for water.
    So far I haven’t had to buy drinking water to wash my dishes with…but i feel that day may be upon me soon.

6. Gudge says:

My favorites:

IJM (www.ijm.org) – Great
    Eden Reforestation Projects (www.edenprojects.org)
    International Interns (http://www.ii4u.org/ – cheesy website but great work)
    Food for the Hungry (www.fh.org)
    Union Rescue Mission (www.urm.org)

7. Daniel Li says:

Some of my favorites are:

Save the Children.
    Invisible Children.
    IJM.
    Heifer Project.

8. Kacie says:

Good question.
    My personal favorite is the International Rescue Committee, despite the fact that they are not a Christian organization. They do the best refugee resettlement here in Dallas and I’ve been following their blog about their work overseas and have loved it.

I also love and have great confidence in Compassion International

The other organizations that I have been impressed with are IJM, Invisible Children, Blood/Water Mission…

And then there are mission organizations like Wycliffe Bible Translators… which I grew up with. 🙂

9. Andrew Murray says:

Dalit Freedom Network. I like the holistic approach they take to approaching their cause. You can learn more here: http://www.dalitnetwork.org/

Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. Thanks for your prayers.
I have numerous stories to share but for now, the following came up in every conversation with Iraqi/Syrian refugees:

1 Have tea with us. Or coffee. Or juice. Or something with lots of sugar in it. Or better yet, all of the above.
2 We want peace. We want security.
3 We hate ISIS.
4 We just want to go home.
5 Please don't forget us.

Please don't forget them... Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest

• Boom. Final fishing trip. Grateful. A nice way to end my 3 month sabbatical. #catchandrelease twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 20 hours ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 21 hours ago
  • Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 3 days ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 3 days ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 3 days ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 6 days ago