charity: water

Hey folks, I’m hanging out here in Southern California speaking and learning at a new “unconference” called The Idea Camp. It’s been referred to as an “unconference” because the event is free and focus placed on the conversations rather than just the speakers.  How wonderful is that concept?

Yesterday, I led a chat on ‘Engaging Culture and Conversation’ and tonight, I have the privilege of sharing a little bit of our global poverty initative with everyone here.  If you’re interested, you can watch it LIVE online at http://theideacamplive.com.

After my chat, you’ll want to stick around to watch an interview a presentation with Scott Harrison, founder and president of Charity:Water.  I’m incredibly excited because it happens to be one of my favorite orgs and most of you already know that water happens to be an issue dear to me.  It wasn’t planned but we’ll get a chance to grab some food and chat afterwards.

But in thinking of Charity:Water, I wanted to ask you this simple question:

What are some of your favority non-profit orgs and causes?  Why?

Filed under: , , ,

1. Melissa says:

My favorites are:
    * Free the Slaves (www.freetheslaves.net)
    * Food for the Hungry (www.fh.org)
    * Union Gospel Mission (www.ugm.org)
    * The Butterfly Project (www.thebutterflyproject.com)

2. […] the original here: tonight w/ charity:water « beauty and depravity :because-it-happens, Charity, incredibly-excited, minute-chat, scott, […]

3. Debbie says:

The Compassion Center in Salfit, Palestine. A Christian NGO which works in an almost 100% Mulsim community. Among other things, we train women in computers, secretarial skills and English to equip them with job skills. We also provide summer camps and year round support for local kids. The center is connected with a relief project as well, which provides food, clothing and medical care for those in need.

I teach English for the Hanan Center. One of my classes is for the Governorate of Salfit. All of my students in the class work for the local government. They will tell you that water is a HUGE issue here. Salfit is rich in natural springs so the Jewish settlements are built all around it and the Palestinians have to pay to get their own water back.

Sewage from homes and chemicals from factories up in the Jewish Settlements on the hills surrounding the town pour down into Salfit. Black water flows within feet of homes in some areas. Agriculture is destroyed, animals die, people have skin diseases and cancer because of it, children are constantly sick. In the settlements, there are swimming pools and there is clean water for everyone to drink. The people of Salfit have no way of defending themselves beyond recording and publishing the details of the situation. The end result of Zionist theology.

4. Wayne Park says:

great talk E; Ash and I watched it all online as well as the following presentation by Scott. Honestly, I’m envious of having missed out; alas, I must be faithful to school for the time being.

5. I could use some water…the water pump that supplies water pressure to my area has been barely functional for almost 4 months now.
    When I turn a faucet and water flows forth…it seems like a miracle. Seriously, it’s an odd feeling to be so thankful for water.
    So far I haven’t had to buy drinking water to wash my dishes with…but i feel that day may be upon me soon.

6. Gudge says:

My favorites:

IJM (www.ijm.org) – Great
    Eden Reforestation Projects (www.edenprojects.org)
    International Interns (http://www.ii4u.org/ – cheesy website but great work)
    Food for the Hungry (www.fh.org)
    Union Rescue Mission (www.urm.org)

7. Daniel Li says:

Some of my favorites are:

Save the Children.
    Invisible Children.
    IJM.
    Heifer Project.

8. Kacie says:

Good question.
    My personal favorite is the International Rescue Committee, despite the fact that they are not a Christian organization. They do the best refugee resettlement here in Dallas and I’ve been following their blog about their work overseas and have loved it.

I also love and have great confidence in Compassion International

The other organizations that I have been impressed with are IJM, Invisible Children, Blood/Water Mission…

And then there are mission organizations like Wycliffe Bible Translators… which I grew up with. 🙂

9. Andrew Murray says:

Dalit Freedom Network. I like the holistic approach they take to approaching their cause. You can learn more here: http://www.dalitnetwork.org/

Nothing grows by itself. If something matters to us, may we be intentional about growing it.

Invest. Pray. Plant. Water. Nurture. Repeat. God sees and knows us. In fact, God knows everything about us.

Not just the good we try so hard to project but even the mess we often seek to hide.

Let this soak in: Not only are we fully known but in Christ, we are fully pursued and loved.

This is grace.
Amazing grace. Hairstyles change. Sideburn fads come and go but may our commitment to love, honor, respect, and be on mission together for Christ never waver.

Thank you, Minhee. I love you so much even if you made fun of my hairstyle and sideburns. I missed you, Seattle. Grateful for a time to pray, rest, retreat, read, reflect, and sabbath. I've spent the last 12 days in the woods alone. Competely alone. It's been both haunting and refreshing. Haunting because of loneliness. Refreshing because through the silence, I am reminded - again - that I'm not alone. Emmanuel.

Also, bought myself a cheap kayak and loving the solitude time in nature. Also, the kayak is paying instant dividends in my bass fishing game. #sabbathrest #bassfishing #catchandrelease There's nothing selfish about rest and self-care. We can't give what we don't have. Experience life and we'll be life-giving to others. Amen.

#NoteToSelf