charity: water

Hey folks, I’m hanging out here in Southern California speaking and learning at a new “unconference” called The Idea Camp. It’s been referred to as an “unconference” because the event is free and focus placed on the conversations rather than just the speakers.  How wonderful is that concept?

Yesterday, I led a chat on ‘Engaging Culture and Conversation’ and tonight, I have the privilege of sharing a little bit of our global poverty initative with everyone here.  If you’re interested, you can watch it LIVE online at http://theideacamplive.com.

After my chat, you’ll want to stick around to watch an interview a presentation with Scott Harrison, founder and president of Charity:Water.  I’m incredibly excited because it happens to be one of my favorite orgs and most of you already know that water happens to be an issue dear to me.  It wasn’t planned but we’ll get a chance to grab some food and chat afterwards.

But in thinking of Charity:Water, I wanted to ask you this simple question:

What are some of your favority non-profit orgs and causes?  Why?

Filed under: , , ,

1. Melissa says:

My favorites are:
    * Free the Slaves (www.freetheslaves.net)
    * Food for the Hungry (www.fh.org)
    * Union Gospel Mission (www.ugm.org)
    * The Butterfly Project (www.thebutterflyproject.com)

2. […] the original here: tonight w/ charity:water « beauty and depravity :because-it-happens, Charity, incredibly-excited, minute-chat, scott, […]

3. Debbie says:

The Compassion Center in Salfit, Palestine. A Christian NGO which works in an almost 100% Mulsim community. Among other things, we train women in computers, secretarial skills and English to equip them with job skills. We also provide summer camps and year round support for local kids. The center is connected with a relief project as well, which provides food, clothing and medical care for those in need.

I teach English for the Hanan Center. One of my classes is for the Governorate of Salfit. All of my students in the class work for the local government. They will tell you that water is a HUGE issue here. Salfit is rich in natural springs so the Jewish settlements are built all around it and the Palestinians have to pay to get their own water back.

Sewage from homes and chemicals from factories up in the Jewish Settlements on the hills surrounding the town pour down into Salfit. Black water flows within feet of homes in some areas. Agriculture is destroyed, animals die, people have skin diseases and cancer because of it, children are constantly sick. In the settlements, there are swimming pools and there is clean water for everyone to drink. The people of Salfit have no way of defending themselves beyond recording and publishing the details of the situation. The end result of Zionist theology.

4. Wayne Park says:

great talk E; Ash and I watched it all online as well as the following presentation by Scott. Honestly, I’m envious of having missed out; alas, I must be faithful to school for the time being.

5. I could use some water…the water pump that supplies water pressure to my area has been barely functional for almost 4 months now.
    When I turn a faucet and water flows forth…it seems like a miracle. Seriously, it’s an odd feeling to be so thankful for water.
    So far I haven’t had to buy drinking water to wash my dishes with…but i feel that day may be upon me soon.

6. Gudge says:

My favorites:

IJM (www.ijm.org) – Great
    Eden Reforestation Projects (www.edenprojects.org)
    International Interns (http://www.ii4u.org/ – cheesy website but great work)
    Food for the Hungry (www.fh.org)
    Union Rescue Mission (www.urm.org)

7. Daniel Li says:

Some of my favorites are:

Save the Children.
    Invisible Children.
    IJM.
    Heifer Project.

8. Kacie says:

Good question.
    My personal favorite is the International Rescue Committee, despite the fact that they are not a Christian organization. They do the best refugee resettlement here in Dallas and I’ve been following their blog about their work overseas and have loved it.

I also love and have great confidence in Compassion International

The other organizations that I have been impressed with are IJM, Invisible Children, Blood/Water Mission…

And then there are mission organizations like Wycliffe Bible Translators… which I grew up with. 🙂

9. Andrew Murray says:

Dalit Freedom Network. I like the holistic approach they take to approaching their cause. You can learn more here: http://www.dalitnetwork.org/

In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.
Pray and choose wisely.
Then invest deeply. May our compassion not just be limited to the West or to those that look like us. Lifting up the people of Iraq, Iran, and Kurdistan in prayer after the 7.3 earthquake - including the many new friends I met on a recent trip to Iraq.

The death toll rises to over 400 and over 7,000 injured in multiple cities and hundreds of villages along the Western border with Iraq.

Lord, in your mercy... We are reminded again and again...that we are Resurrection People living in a Dark Friday world.

It's been a tough, emotional, and painful week - especially as we lament the horrible tragedy of the church shootings at Sutherland Springs. In the midst of this lament, I've been carried by the hope, beauty, and promise of our baptisms last Sunday and the raw and honest testimonies of God's mercy, love, and grace.

Indeed, God is not yet done. May we take heart for Christ has overcome the world. "Without genuine relationships with the poor, we rob them of their dignity and they become mere projects. And God did not intend for anyone to become our projects." Grateful this quote from my book, Overrated, is resonating with so many folks - individuals and  NGOs. / design by @preemptivelove .
May we keep working