the acoustic ninja & your favorite indie musician?

tracebundy

Quest had the joy of hosting the Acoustic Ninja – Trace Bundy – for couple of his songs yesterday.  If you’ve never heard his music, do yourself a favor and check him out.  He does things with the guitar that is unbelievable.  I first heard Trace when he played a show at Q Cafe several years ago.  Since then, I’ve been following his career from afar.  By chance, I emailed him to ask him if he’d be willing to stop by Quest the next time he was  in Seattle and he graciously obliged.  While I certainly appreciate his gifts as a guitarist, it’s the story behind his gifts and music that resonate with me.

Question:  Who’s an indie musician you’ve been enjoying and following?  Share their website if you’ve got it…

Trace has a show in Seattle at the Triple Door on March 5 for those who are interested.  My favorite is a song entitled ‘Missile Bell‘ which I couldn’t find on YouTube but it’s a beautiful redemptive story of a village in El Salvador that comes back to their war torn land with hopes of rebuilding their lives.  The first thing they do is to build a church.   As they near the completion of building a church with scraps and pieces of stuff, they realize they don’t have a bell for the church.   They eventually decide to use a missile shell for a bell for the church.  It’s a beautiful image of the possibility of redemption…

Another one that he played yesterday was ‘Long Song’:

And here’s Trace with Korean guitarist prodigy Sungha Jung.  Simply amazing. Both of them.

After our 2nd service, I had a chance to have lunch with he and his wife Becca.  I became a bigger fan because:

1.  he’s recently played a show in Korea and is going back in June.

2.  they love eating pho.  they were devouring their pho-shizzle like no one’s business.

3.  they’ve played a show in Zimbabwe.  how many people do you know that have played a show in Zimbabwe?

Filed under: entertainment, ,

1. janowen says:

until recently it was Sarah Reeves but she just got signed…..so i don’t know now.

2. janowen says:

oh, i think Adam Nitti is still indie. i have NO IDEA why someone won’t pick him up – his bass solos made me cry. really. Check out the Adam Nitti Band.

3. angelina says:

I LOVE Trace Bundy and well Becca pretty much ROCKS! So glad that you all love them as much as their family here in CO do.

4. angelina says:

Indie musicians I like:

Aaron Strumpel http://www.aaronstrumpel.com/main.html

Blackthorn Project http://www.theblackthornproject.com/

Aaron Espe http://aaronespe.com/home.html

Just a few

5. Travis McKee says:

So, for me, the definition of Indie comes from Miranda Stone (mirandastone.com). She does all her own recording, design, production, promoting, etc. She is way too talented on guitar and shares the most honest look at adult faith life i have seen.

I got started by seeing her live before cornerstone in 2001. She played her song 7 Deadly Sins by herself. The guitar part blew me away cause it was bass, rhythm and lead, all played by her in an alternate tuning. But the wonder of music doesn’t stop there. The lyrics really hit me hard and hooked me to find out all i could of her. take time to get into her and if you are lucky enough to live somewhere where she is performing, go.

6. can I just say that picture of Trace is un-friggen-believably awesome. he was incredible- lauren and our friend Jeannie picked up his disc promptly after the service. never seen a guy use a guitar like that.

favorite indie artist: kyte. british ambient pop. http://www.myspace.com/kyteband

so good and so beautiful it hurts 🙂

7. eugenecho says:

another one of my favorites is josh garrels.

8. J. P. says:

My long-time indie favorite: Emm Gryner.

Re: acoustic guitar creativity, see also Michael Hedges, Phil Keaggy, and Andy McKee.

9. How old is that boy?
    That’s not fare!!!!
    Well done man

Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. Thanks for your prayers.
I have numerous stories to share but for now, the following came up in every conversation with Iraqi/Syrian refugees:

1 Have tea with us. Or coffee. Or juice. Or something with lots of sugar in it. Or better yet, all of the above.
2 We want peace. We want security.
3 We hate ISIS.
4 We just want to go home.
5 Please don't forget us.

Please don't forget them... Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest

• Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 2 days ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 2 days ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 2 days ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 5 days ago
  • Father, bless these Iraqi and Syrian refugee children that have already endured so much. As we pray, teach us how t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 6 days ago
  • Pray for Iraq. Pray for persecuted Church, minority groups (Yezidis) and Muslims alike who are suffering under ISIS: instagram.com/p/BZF2j6Ngrna/ || 6 days ago