the acoustic ninja & your favorite indie musician?

tracebundy

Quest had the joy of hosting the Acoustic Ninja – Trace Bundy – for couple of his songs yesterday.  If you’ve never heard his music, do yourself a favor and check him out.  He does things with the guitar that is unbelievable.  I first heard Trace when he played a show at Q Cafe several years ago.  Since then, I’ve been following his career from afar.  By chance, I emailed him to ask him if he’d be willing to stop by Quest the next time he was  in Seattle and he graciously obliged.  While I certainly appreciate his gifts as a guitarist, it’s the story behind his gifts and music that resonate with me.

Question:  Who’s an indie musician you’ve been enjoying and following?  Share their website if you’ve got it…

Trace has a show in Seattle at the Triple Door on March 5 for those who are interested.  My favorite is a song entitled ‘Missile Bell‘ which I couldn’t find on YouTube but it’s a beautiful redemptive story of a village in El Salvador that comes back to their war torn land with hopes of rebuilding their lives.  The first thing they do is to build a church.   As they near the completion of building a church with scraps and pieces of stuff, they realize they don’t have a bell for the church.   They eventually decide to use a missile shell for a bell for the church.  It’s a beautiful image of the possibility of redemption…

Another one that he played yesterday was ‘Long Song’:

And here’s Trace with Korean guitarist prodigy Sungha Jung.  Simply amazing. Both of them.

After our 2nd service, I had a chance to have lunch with he and his wife Becca.  I became a bigger fan because:

1.  he’s recently played a show in Korea and is going back in June.

2.  they love eating pho.  they were devouring their pho-shizzle like no one’s business.

3.  they’ve played a show in Zimbabwe.  how many people do you know that have played a show in Zimbabwe?

Filed under: entertainment, ,

1. janowen says:

until recently it was Sarah Reeves but she just got signed…..so i don’t know now.

2. janowen says:

oh, i think Adam Nitti is still indie. i have NO IDEA why someone won’t pick him up – his bass solos made me cry. really. Check out the Adam Nitti Band.

3. angelina says:

I LOVE Trace Bundy and well Becca pretty much ROCKS! So glad that you all love them as much as their family here in CO do.

4. angelina says:

Indie musicians I like:

Aaron Strumpel http://www.aaronstrumpel.com/main.html

Blackthorn Project http://www.theblackthornproject.com/

Aaron Espe http://aaronespe.com/home.html

Just a few

5. Travis McKee says:

So, for me, the definition of Indie comes from Miranda Stone (mirandastone.com). She does all her own recording, design, production, promoting, etc. She is way too talented on guitar and shares the most honest look at adult faith life i have seen.

I got started by seeing her live before cornerstone in 2001. She played her song 7 Deadly Sins by herself. The guitar part blew me away cause it was bass, rhythm and lead, all played by her in an alternate tuning. But the wonder of music doesn’t stop there. The lyrics really hit me hard and hooked me to find out all i could of her. take time to get into her and if you are lucky enough to live somewhere where she is performing, go.

6. can I just say that picture of Trace is un-friggen-believably awesome. he was incredible- lauren and our friend Jeannie picked up his disc promptly after the service. never seen a guy use a guitar like that.

favorite indie artist: kyte. british ambient pop. http://www.myspace.com/kyteband

so good and so beautiful it hurts 🙂

7. eugenecho says:

another one of my favorites is josh garrels.

8. J. P. says:

My long-time indie favorite: Emm Gryner.

Re: acoustic guitar creativity, see also Michael Hedges, Phil Keaggy, and Andy McKee.

9. How old is that boy?
    That’s not fare!!!!
    Well done man

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• "They got money for wars but can't feed the poor." ~ Tupac #trumpbudget || 18 hours ago
  • Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 2 days ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 4 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 4 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 4 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 5 days ago