the acoustic ninja & your favorite indie musician?

tracebundy

Quest had the joy of hosting the Acoustic Ninja – Trace Bundy – for couple of his songs yesterday.  If you’ve never heard his music, do yourself a favor and check him out.  He does things with the guitar that is unbelievable.  I first heard Trace when he played a show at Q Cafe several years ago.  Since then, I’ve been following his career from afar.  By chance, I emailed him to ask him if he’d be willing to stop by Quest the next time he was  in Seattle and he graciously obliged.  While I certainly appreciate his gifts as a guitarist, it’s the story behind his gifts and music that resonate with me.

Question:  Who’s an indie musician you’ve been enjoying and following?  Share their website if you’ve got it…

Trace has a show in Seattle at the Triple Door on March 5 for those who are interested.  My favorite is a song entitled ‘Missile Bell‘ which I couldn’t find on YouTube but it’s a beautiful redemptive story of a village in El Salvador that comes back to their war torn land with hopes of rebuilding their lives.  The first thing they do is to build a church.   As they near the completion of building a church with scraps and pieces of stuff, they realize they don’t have a bell for the church.   They eventually decide to use a missile shell for a bell for the church.  It’s a beautiful image of the possibility of redemption…

Another one that he played yesterday was ‘Long Song’:

And here’s Trace with Korean guitarist prodigy Sungha Jung.  Simply amazing. Both of them.

After our 2nd service, I had a chance to have lunch with he and his wife Becca.  I became a bigger fan because:

1.  he’s recently played a show in Korea and is going back in June.

2.  they love eating pho.  they were devouring their pho-shizzle like no one’s business.

3.  they’ve played a show in Zimbabwe.  how many people do you know that have played a show in Zimbabwe?

Filed under: entertainment, ,

1. janowen says:

until recently it was Sarah Reeves but she just got signed…..so i don’t know now.

2. janowen says:

oh, i think Adam Nitti is still indie. i have NO IDEA why someone won’t pick him up – his bass solos made me cry. really. Check out the Adam Nitti Band.

3. angelina says:

I LOVE Trace Bundy and well Becca pretty much ROCKS! So glad that you all love them as much as their family here in CO do.

4. angelina says:

Indie musicians I like:

Aaron Strumpel http://www.aaronstrumpel.com/main.html

Blackthorn Project http://www.theblackthornproject.com/

Aaron Espe http://aaronespe.com/home.html

Just a few

5. Travis McKee says:

So, for me, the definition of Indie comes from Miranda Stone (mirandastone.com). She does all her own recording, design, production, promoting, etc. She is way too talented on guitar and shares the most honest look at adult faith life i have seen.

I got started by seeing her live before cornerstone in 2001. She played her song 7 Deadly Sins by herself. The guitar part blew me away cause it was bass, rhythm and lead, all played by her in an alternate tuning. But the wonder of music doesn’t stop there. The lyrics really hit me hard and hooked me to find out all i could of her. take time to get into her and if you are lucky enough to live somewhere where she is performing, go.

6. can I just say that picture of Trace is un-friggen-believably awesome. he was incredible- lauren and our friend Jeannie picked up his disc promptly after the service. never seen a guy use a guitar like that.

favorite indie artist: kyte. british ambient pop. http://www.myspace.com/kyteband

so good and so beautiful it hurts🙂

7. eugenecho says:

another one of my favorites is josh garrels.

8. J. P. says:

My long-time indie favorite: Emm Gryner.

Re: acoustic guitar creativity, see also Michael Hedges, Phil Keaggy, and Andy McKee.

9. How old is that boy?
    That’s not fare!!!!
    Well done man

The family that karaokes together stays together. #ChoFamilyKPopFamily Family time in one of my favorite cities in the world - especially when the exchange rate is so favorable. Thank you, Vancouver, for being such a great refuge for our souls for the past 20 years. #QuestVancouver It's the day after...that day.
Be grateful. Again.
We woke up. We're alive.
Breathing. Dreaming.
Pursuing. Embodying. Loving.

Yes. Be grateful.
That you, Jesus.

Pastor Coby, Pastor Katey, Pam, Jalle, and Jasmin: We see you. We appreciate you. We are grateful for your presence and leadership at Quest and beyond. Thank you and all of our amazing volunteers Wow. So proud of our 13 year-old son. When he began the trumpet in middle school, you could say it was a little painful. But this cat has got some groove. He's taught himself the piano, guitar, and really come along on the trumpet.

Parents: Fret not if you have no musical skills. I am living proof that musical genes or the lack thereof are not passed on. #AsianMilesDavis