the acoustic ninja & your favorite indie musician?

tracebundy

Quest had the joy of hosting the Acoustic Ninja – Trace Bundy – for couple of his songs yesterday.  If you’ve never heard his music, do yourself a favor and check him out.  He does things with the guitar that is unbelievable.  I first heard Trace when he played a show at Q Cafe several years ago.  Since then, I’ve been following his career from afar.  By chance, I emailed him to ask him if he’d be willing to stop by Quest the next time he was  in Seattle and he graciously obliged.  While I certainly appreciate his gifts as a guitarist, it’s the story behind his gifts and music that resonate with me.

Question:  Who’s an indie musician you’ve been enjoying and following?  Share their website if you’ve got it…

Trace has a show in Seattle at the Triple Door on March 5 for those who are interested.  My favorite is a song entitled ‘Missile Bell‘ which I couldn’t find on YouTube but it’s a beautiful redemptive story of a village in El Salvador that comes back to their war torn land with hopes of rebuilding their lives.  The first thing they do is to build a church.   As they near the completion of building a church with scraps and pieces of stuff, they realize they don’t have a bell for the church.   They eventually decide to use a missile shell for a bell for the church.  It’s a beautiful image of the possibility of redemption…

Another one that he played yesterday was ‘Long Song’:

And here’s Trace with Korean guitarist prodigy Sungha Jung.  Simply amazing. Both of them.

After our 2nd service, I had a chance to have lunch with he and his wife Becca.  I became a bigger fan because:

1.  he’s recently played a show in Korea and is going back in June.

2.  they love eating pho.  they were devouring their pho-shizzle like no one’s business.

3.  they’ve played a show in Zimbabwe.  how many people do you know that have played a show in Zimbabwe?

Filed under: entertainment, ,

1. janowen says:

until recently it was Sarah Reeves but she just got signed…..so i don’t know now.

2. janowen says:

oh, i think Adam Nitti is still indie. i have NO IDEA why someone won’t pick him up – his bass solos made me cry. really. Check out the Adam Nitti Band.

3. angelina says:

I LOVE Trace Bundy and well Becca pretty much ROCKS! So glad that you all love them as much as their family here in CO do.

4. angelina says:

Indie musicians I like:

Aaron Strumpel http://www.aaronstrumpel.com/main.html

Blackthorn Project http://www.theblackthornproject.com/

Aaron Espe http://aaronespe.com/home.html

Just a few

5. Travis McKee says:

So, for me, the definition of Indie comes from Miranda Stone (mirandastone.com). She does all her own recording, design, production, promoting, etc. She is way too talented on guitar and shares the most honest look at adult faith life i have seen.

I got started by seeing her live before cornerstone in 2001. She played her song 7 Deadly Sins by herself. The guitar part blew me away cause it was bass, rhythm and lead, all played by her in an alternate tuning. But the wonder of music doesn’t stop there. The lyrics really hit me hard and hooked me to find out all i could of her. take time to get into her and if you are lucky enough to live somewhere where she is performing, go.

6. can I just say that picture of Trace is un-friggen-believably awesome. he was incredible- lauren and our friend Jeannie picked up his disc promptly after the service. never seen a guy use a guitar like that.

favorite indie artist: kyte. british ambient pop. http://www.myspace.com/kyteband

so good and so beautiful it hurts 🙂

7. eugenecho says:

another one of my favorites is josh garrels.

8. J. P. says:

My long-time indie favorite: Emm Gryner.

Re: acoustic guitar creativity, see also Michael Hedges, Phil Keaggy, and Andy McKee.

9. How old is that boy?
    That’s not fare!!!!
    Well done man

"He must become greater; I must become less." - John 3:30 We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on.