the acoustic ninja & your favorite indie musician?

tracebundy

Quest had the joy of hosting the Acoustic Ninja – Trace Bundy – for couple of his songs yesterday.  If you’ve never heard his music, do yourself a favor and check him out.  He does things with the guitar that is unbelievable.  I first heard Trace when he played a show at Q Cafe several years ago.  Since then, I’ve been following his career from afar.  By chance, I emailed him to ask him if he’d be willing to stop by Quest the next time he was  in Seattle and he graciously obliged.  While I certainly appreciate his gifts as a guitarist, it’s the story behind his gifts and music that resonate with me.

Question:  Who’s an indie musician you’ve been enjoying and following?  Share their website if you’ve got it…

Trace has a show in Seattle at the Triple Door on March 5 for those who are interested.  My favorite is a song entitled ‘Missile Bell‘ which I couldn’t find on YouTube but it’s a beautiful redemptive story of a village in El Salvador that comes back to their war torn land with hopes of rebuilding their lives.  The first thing they do is to build a church.   As they near the completion of building a church with scraps and pieces of stuff, they realize they don’t have a bell for the church.   They eventually decide to use a missile shell for a bell for the church.  It’s a beautiful image of the possibility of redemption…

Another one that he played yesterday was ‘Long Song’:

And here’s Trace with Korean guitarist prodigy Sungha Jung.  Simply amazing. Both of them.

After our 2nd service, I had a chance to have lunch with he and his wife Becca.  I became a bigger fan because:

1.  he’s recently played a show in Korea and is going back in June.

2.  they love eating pho.  they were devouring their pho-shizzle like no one’s business.

3.  they’ve played a show in Zimbabwe.  how many people do you know that have played a show in Zimbabwe?

Filed under: entertainment, ,

1. janowen says:

until recently it was Sarah Reeves but she just got signed…..so i don’t know now.

2. janowen says:

oh, i think Adam Nitti is still indie. i have NO IDEA why someone won’t pick him up – his bass solos made me cry. really. Check out the Adam Nitti Band.

3. angelina says:

I LOVE Trace Bundy and well Becca pretty much ROCKS! So glad that you all love them as much as their family here in CO do.

4. angelina says:

Indie musicians I like:

Aaron Strumpel http://www.aaronstrumpel.com/main.html

Blackthorn Project http://www.theblackthornproject.com/

Aaron Espe http://aaronespe.com/home.html

Just a few

5. Travis McKee says:

So, for me, the definition of Indie comes from Miranda Stone (mirandastone.com). She does all her own recording, design, production, promoting, etc. She is way too talented on guitar and shares the most honest look at adult faith life i have seen.

I got started by seeing her live before cornerstone in 2001. She played her song 7 Deadly Sins by herself. The guitar part blew me away cause it was bass, rhythm and lead, all played by her in an alternate tuning. But the wonder of music doesn’t stop there. The lyrics really hit me hard and hooked me to find out all i could of her. take time to get into her and if you are lucky enough to live somewhere where she is performing, go.

6. can I just say that picture of Trace is un-friggen-believably awesome. he was incredible- lauren and our friend Jeannie picked up his disc promptly after the service. never seen a guy use a guitar like that.

favorite indie artist: kyte. british ambient pop. http://www.myspace.com/kyteband

so good and so beautiful it hurts 🙂

7. eugenecho says:

another one of my favorites is josh garrels.

8. J. P. says:

My long-time indie favorite: Emm Gryner.

Re: acoustic guitar creativity, see also Michael Hedges, Phil Keaggy, and Andy McKee.

9. How old is that boy?
    That’s not fare!!!!
    Well done man

It. Still. Hurts.
#TamirRice Incredible news: @onedayswages is projecting to have our most impactful year as we grant out $1.3 million dollars! Thank you so much for your prayers and support...please read on to learn how you can join in our work.

As you gather with family, friends, and loved ones for Thanksgiving and the holidays, I wanted to share an opportunity. Often times, when I speak to people about the privilege of generosity, I remind them, "You don't have to but you get to." It's so true.

My wife and I (and our three kids) started ODW in 2009. We felt the Holy Spirit convicting us to give up our year's salary. It wasn't an easy thing to say "Yes" or "Amen" to but we made the decision to obey. As a result, it took us about three years to save, simplify, and sell off things we didn't need.

It's been an incredible journey as we've learned so much about the heart of God and God's love for the hurting and vulnerable around the world - particularly those living in extreme poverty. ODW is a small, scrappy, grassroots organization (with just 3 full-time employees) but since our launch, we've raised nearly $6 million dollars to help those living in extreme poverty: clean water and sanitation, education, maternal health, human trafficking, refugee crisis, hunger, and the list goes on and on.

So, here's my humble ask: As we do this work, would you consider making a pledge to support our work...so that we can keep doing this work with integrity and excellence?
You can make a one time gift or make monthly pledge of just $25 (or more). Thanks so much for considering this: http://onedayswages.org/give (link in bio, too) Don't just count your blessings. Bless others with your blessings. Here, there, everywhere. Be a blessing for this blesses our Father in Heaven and builds the Kingdom of God.

#ReThinkRegugees #WeWelcomeRefugees
@onedayswages Grateful. Still reflecting on the letters that I've received from classmates and students that have come before me and after me. Never imagined all that God would have in store for me. Lots of humbling things but in the midst of them, there were literally thousands upon thousands of daily decisions and choices to be faithful. That's what matters. Seen or unseen. Noticed or unnoticed. You do your best and sometimes you stumble and fumble along but nevertheless, seeking to be faithful.

Also, you know you're getting old when your school honors you with a Distinguished Alumni Award. Lol. 47 is the new 27. Or something like that. Here's to the next 47. In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.