name and claim a private jet

I usually don’t make my schedule this hectic not only for personal sanity reasons but because I have a wife that will knock me out.  But every now and then, it just happens.  When I was given the chance to travel to South Africa, it was a no brainer.  But it also created a whirlwind of  a schedule that has left me a little exhausted and unable to put together a string of blog posts I really want to write.

In a span of about 96 hours, I’ll have flown from Durban to Capetown, South Africa; then 12 hours from Capetown to Frankfurt; 6 hours layover in early wee hours at the Frankfurt airport; then another 12 hours from Frankfurt to Seattle.  I felt fine during the bulk of my trip but I think the sushi I ate during my stay in Capetown caught up to me.  What’s the lesson here?  Perhaps, it’s to avoid sushi in Africa but the problem is that sushi is my kyrptonite.  I eat it anywhere and everywhere I can afford it.

Or perhaps, my body just ain’t what it used to be and the return flights just broke it down because by late Saturday and early Sunday, I was vomiting up a hurricane and shaking like a bad dancer.  Yes, I admit that I was tempted to call in sick but I didn’t want to miss preaching at Quest two Sundays in a row.  Thankfully, I made it through all three services on Sunday but had a bucket for any vomitaceous uprisings by the pulpit just in case.  And for those who like vivid images, I actually did vomit a little [in my mouth] during the 9.15am service only to swallow it back in.

Like a good pastor, I took one for the team.

Between the 2nd and 3rd service where most folks were watching some obscure game called the Super Bowl, I crashed and slept.  Woke up in time to get to the 5pm service at 5.02pm.

And to test the body one more time, I catch the earliest flight possible in a few hours to tropical Chicago for a few days at the Covenant Midwinter Conference.  While exhausted, I look forward to the one opportunity each year I get to meet, connect, and be encouraged by folks within my denomination.  I jokingly change my name to Eugene Chohannson in tribute to the Swedish roots of the denomination but if you didn’t know, it’s one of the few denominations with a serious commitment to diversity and multiculturalism – not for the sake of being politically correct but because it theologically, biblically, and sociologically critical.

So back to the whirlwind 96 hour schedule:  Durban, Capetown, Frankfurt, Seattle, Chicago, and eventually back to Seattle soon.

I ain’t into prosperity theology but right about now, I’d like to name and claim that Private Jet.  Any witnesses in da house?

Filed under:

1. dean says:

If it makes you feel any better, I’d let you borrow my private jet … if I had one.

2. AndrewP says:

“Like a good pastor, I took one for the team.”

I just gained a whole new level of respect for you!

3. Panama is another place to never eat sushi – unless you like the mall food court variety. Just thought I’d let you know, just in case you find your self in Panama one of these days with a hankering for sushi. 🙂 Hope you’re feeling a little less erp-y soon.

4. Matt says:

steamin, willie beamin…

I bet you REALLY started preachin up a storm after you got that bit of vomit up.

5. Randall says:

Please tell me none of the small vomit got on the headset mic…

6. Ric Wild says:

Eugene, I was just in Chicago for some of the Pre-Midwinter events. I saw Leah in the lobby and was wondering if you’d be making it out, too.

Glad to hear that I’m not the only Covenant outsider. I’m thinking about changing my name to Johnson.

7. eugenecho says:

I cannot lie.

The sushi I ate was at a mall in Capetown. It is my kyptonite.

8. Aaron says:

Contact Ford, GM, or Chrysler… I hear they have a couple of jets that are idle right now.

No really, I will pray for rest!

9. mellocello says:

what??? ewww!!! i knew it!!! when you did that thing with your fist! ah! i am both wildly disgusted and slightly fascinated at the same time. i really appreciate that you kept it in. feel really bad that you felt so bad, but you have no idea what that means to someone who has such an irrational fear of barf.

10. eugenecho says:

@mellocello: i swallowed it back in for you.

11. mellocello says:

well i certainly do appreciate that. you can name your jet the “vomit comet.”

12. Wow, that’s an epic journey. Private jets are awesome but you know you’re a hard working pastor when you have to name and claim a vomit bucket.

Let us know how the Chicago sushi treats you 😉

13. The Chiz says:

Eugene Chohannson? Do you have a sister named Scarlett?

"He must become greater; I must become less." - John 3:30 We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on.