name and claim a private jet

I usually don’t make my schedule this hectic not only for personal sanity reasons but because I have a wife that will knock me out.  But every now and then, it just happens.  When I was given the chance to travel to South Africa, it was a no brainer.  But it also created a whirlwind of  a schedule that has left me a little exhausted and unable to put together a string of blog posts I really want to write.

In a span of about 96 hours, I’ll have flown from Durban to Capetown, South Africa; then 12 hours from Capetown to Frankfurt; 6 hours layover in early wee hours at the Frankfurt airport; then another 12 hours from Frankfurt to Seattle.  I felt fine during the bulk of my trip but I think the sushi I ate during my stay in Capetown caught up to me.  What’s the lesson here?  Perhaps, it’s to avoid sushi in Africa but the problem is that sushi is my kyrptonite.  I eat it anywhere and everywhere I can afford it.

Or perhaps, my body just ain’t what it used to be and the return flights just broke it down because by late Saturday and early Sunday, I was vomiting up a hurricane and shaking like a bad dancer.  Yes, I admit that I was tempted to call in sick but I didn’t want to miss preaching at Quest two Sundays in a row.  Thankfully, I made it through all three services on Sunday but had a bucket for any vomitaceous uprisings by the pulpit just in case.  And for those who like vivid images, I actually did vomit a little [in my mouth] during the 9.15am service only to swallow it back in.

Like a good pastor, I took one for the team.

Between the 2nd and 3rd service where most folks were watching some obscure game called the Super Bowl, I crashed and slept.  Woke up in time to get to the 5pm service at 5.02pm.

And to test the body one more time, I catch the earliest flight possible in a few hours to tropical Chicago for a few days at the Covenant Midwinter Conference.  While exhausted, I look forward to the one opportunity each year I get to meet, connect, and be encouraged by folks within my denomination.  I jokingly change my name to Eugene Chohannson in tribute to the Swedish roots of the denomination but if you didn’t know, it’s one of the few denominations with a serious commitment to diversity and multiculturalism – not for the sake of being politically correct but because it theologically, biblically, and sociologically critical.

So back to the whirlwind 96 hour schedule:  Durban, Capetown, Frankfurt, Seattle, Chicago, and eventually back to Seattle soon.

I ain’t into prosperity theology but right about now, I’d like to name and claim that Private Jet.  Any witnesses in da house?

Filed under:

1. dean says:

If it makes you feel any better, I’d let you borrow my private jet … if I had one.

2. AndrewP says:

“Like a good pastor, I took one for the team.”

I just gained a whole new level of respect for you!

3. Panama is another place to never eat sushi – unless you like the mall food court variety. Just thought I’d let you know, just in case you find your self in Panama one of these days with a hankering for sushi. 🙂 Hope you’re feeling a little less erp-y soon.

4. Matt says:

steamin, willie beamin…

I bet you REALLY started preachin up a storm after you got that bit of vomit up.

5. Randall says:

Please tell me none of the small vomit got on the headset mic…

6. Ric Wild says:

Eugene, I was just in Chicago for some of the Pre-Midwinter events. I saw Leah in the lobby and was wondering if you’d be making it out, too.

Glad to hear that I’m not the only Covenant outsider. I’m thinking about changing my name to Johnson.

7. eugenecho says:

I cannot lie.

The sushi I ate was at a mall in Capetown. It is my kyptonite.

8. Aaron says:

Contact Ford, GM, or Chrysler… I hear they have a couple of jets that are idle right now.

No really, I will pray for rest!

9. mellocello says:

what??? ewww!!! i knew it!!! when you did that thing with your fist! ah! i am both wildly disgusted and slightly fascinated at the same time. i really appreciate that you kept it in. feel really bad that you felt so bad, but you have no idea what that means to someone who has such an irrational fear of barf.

10. eugenecho says:

@mellocello: i swallowed it back in for you.

11. mellocello says:

well i certainly do appreciate that. you can name your jet the “vomit comet.”

12. Wow, that’s an epic journey. Private jets are awesome but you know you’re a hard working pastor when you have to name and claim a vomit bucket.

Let us know how the Chicago sushi treats you 😉

13. The Chiz says:

Eugene Chohannson? Do you have a sister named Scarlett?

To support both the equality of women and the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but I know we're not alone. May we press on. And may we lead with hope.

I'm at the Women's March in Seattle to show my solidarity with my wife, my mothers, my daughters, and the female congregants of my church. I'm also here to model for my son what we believe in our home. Many people have already expressed their disappointment, dismay, and disgust with my decision. Such is life. We will always disappoint someone. And that's also a lot of words that begin with "d." I'm here not because I agree or disagree with every single statement or sign at this march (although I really liked this one) but because as a Christian, I believe in the fundamental truth that women are fearfully and wonderfully made in the image of God. They are to be valued, heard, and respected.

And because I believe we can't be a flourishing society without the flourishing of women. And because the Church cannot be the Church without the gifts and voices of women. All the gifts of women.

And in doing so, may we together honor the sanctity of life - from womb to tomb. Collaboration.

col·lab·o·ra·tion
kəˌlabəˈrāSH(ə)n/
noun

the action of working with someone or a group of others  to produce or create something.

May we hold our logos, egos, and tribalism have their place. May we hold them loosely for they too shall pass. May we collaborate for the sake of the greater Kingdom of God ... which endures forever. As we honor Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., don't forget the God behind the man. The one true God who deposited this dream into MLK is still speaking to us today. Are we listening?

Be courageous. Be brave.

Being invited by the King Family to speak at the MLK worship service at Ebenezer Baptist Church in 2016 remains one of the most unexpected honors of my life. On the right is his daughter, Dr. Bernice King and his sister, Dr. Christine King Farris. Walking throughstreet markets in different parts of the world is the best. Soaking in the culture. Listening to the local language and music. Enjoying the amazing cuisine. Meeting new friends. Praying for the Gospel to penetrate. #ChiangRai Blessed be the local, indigenous leaders for it is they who live in the very communities they seek to love. For it is they who understand their context and culture...better than a Westerner ever will. For it is they who will continue to tenaciously pursue a better world with hope, justice and love when visitors like me leave.

Yes, blessed be the local, indigenous leaders. What an honor and privilege to celebrate with the on-the-ground local @thefreedomstory team to celebrate the recent opening of their Education and Resource Center for the local youth in Chiang Rai, Thailanf. This was made possible through a partnership and matching grant by @onedayswages and The Freedom Story.

While it was an honor to be there to cut the cord and say a few words, this is an example of collaboration. Much love to the Freedom Story team including their co-founders Tawee Donchai and @Rachel Goble, to their staff who live in the community, who understand their context and culture, and who tenaciously pursue a better world with hope, justice and love. And of course, much love to the students themselves for they each matter. Finally, to each person that donated to @onedayswages to make this grant possible.

May hundreds and even thousands of youth be impacted, encouraged, and mentored. May they capture a glimpse of God's love for them.

Photo: @benjaminedwards

• Really loved this sign from the women's march from one of our church congregants. Counter cultural. Subversive. L… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 4 hours ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn can be lonely but we're not alone. Lead with hope: instagram.com/p/BPjMGTOhMjL/ || 5 hours ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but we're not alone. May we press on. || 8 hours ago
  • Going to the Women's March in Seattle bc as a Christian, I believe women are fearfully and wonderfully made and are to be heard & respected. || 11 hours ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 12 hours ago
  • God bless America...so that we may be a blessing to the hurting, poor, vulnerable, immigrants, oppressed, marginalized. God bless America. || 1 day ago