name and claim a private jet

I usually don’t make my schedule this hectic not only for personal sanity reasons but because I have a wife that will knock me out.  But every now and then, it just happens.  When I was given the chance to travel to South Africa, it was a no brainer.  But it also created a whirlwind of  a schedule that has left me a little exhausted and unable to put together a string of blog posts I really want to write.

In a span of about 96 hours, I’ll have flown from Durban to Capetown, South Africa; then 12 hours from Capetown to Frankfurt; 6 hours layover in early wee hours at the Frankfurt airport; then another 12 hours from Frankfurt to Seattle.  I felt fine during the bulk of my trip but I think the sushi I ate during my stay in Capetown caught up to me.  What’s the lesson here?  Perhaps, it’s to avoid sushi in Africa but the problem is that sushi is my kyrptonite.  I eat it anywhere and everywhere I can afford it.

Or perhaps, my body just ain’t what it used to be and the return flights just broke it down because by late Saturday and early Sunday, I was vomiting up a hurricane and shaking like a bad dancer.  Yes, I admit that I was tempted to call in sick but I didn’t want to miss preaching at Quest two Sundays in a row.  Thankfully, I made it through all three services on Sunday but had a bucket for any vomitaceous uprisings by the pulpit just in case.  And for those who like vivid images, I actually did vomit a little [in my mouth] during the 9.15am service only to swallow it back in.

Like a good pastor, I took one for the team.

Between the 2nd and 3rd service where most folks were watching some obscure game called the Super Bowl, I crashed and slept.  Woke up in time to get to the 5pm service at 5.02pm.

And to test the body one more time, I catch the earliest flight possible in a few hours to tropical Chicago for a few days at the Covenant Midwinter Conference.  While exhausted, I look forward to the one opportunity each year I get to meet, connect, and be encouraged by folks within my denomination.  I jokingly change my name to Eugene Chohannson in tribute to the Swedish roots of the denomination but if you didn’t know, it’s one of the few denominations with a serious commitment to diversity and multiculturalism – not for the sake of being politically correct but because it theologically, biblically, and sociologically critical.

So back to the whirlwind 96 hour schedule:  Durban, Capetown, Frankfurt, Seattle, Chicago, and eventually back to Seattle soon.

I ain’t into prosperity theology but right about now, I’d like to name and claim that Private Jet.  Any witnesses in da house?

Filed under:

1. dean says:

If it makes you feel any better, I’d let you borrow my private jet … if I had one.

2. AndrewP says:

“Like a good pastor, I took one for the team.”

I just gained a whole new level of respect for you!

3. Panama is another place to never eat sushi – unless you like the mall food court variety. Just thought I’d let you know, just in case you find your self in Panama one of these days with a hankering for sushi. 🙂 Hope you’re feeling a little less erp-y soon.

4. Matt says:

steamin, willie beamin…

I bet you REALLY started preachin up a storm after you got that bit of vomit up.

5. Randall says:

Please tell me none of the small vomit got on the headset mic…

6. Ric Wild says:

Eugene, I was just in Chicago for some of the Pre-Midwinter events. I saw Leah in the lobby and was wondering if you’d be making it out, too.

Glad to hear that I’m not the only Covenant outsider. I’m thinking about changing my name to Johnson.

7. eugenecho says:

I cannot lie.

The sushi I ate was at a mall in Capetown. It is my kyptonite.

8. Aaron says:

Contact Ford, GM, or Chrysler… I hear they have a couple of jets that are idle right now.

No really, I will pray for rest!

9. mellocello says:

what??? ewww!!! i knew it!!! when you did that thing with your fist! ah! i am both wildly disgusted and slightly fascinated at the same time. i really appreciate that you kept it in. feel really bad that you felt so bad, but you have no idea what that means to someone who has such an irrational fear of barf.

10. eugenecho says:

@mellocello: i swallowed it back in for you.

11. mellocello says:

well i certainly do appreciate that. you can name your jet the “vomit comet.”

12. Wow, that’s an epic journey. Private jets are awesome but you know you’re a hard working pastor when you have to name and claim a vomit bucket.

Let us know how the Chicago sushi treats you 😉

13. The Chiz says:

Eugene Chohannson? Do you have a sister named Scarlett?

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• "They got money for wars but can't feed the poor." ~ Tupac #trumpbudget || 2 days ago
  • Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 3 days ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 5 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 5 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 5 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 1 week ago