12 years and counting

anniversary2

On February 1, 1997, Minhee and I exchanged vows and committed ourselves to Christ, one another, our family and community –  the journey of loving, serving, and growing as husband and wife.  Today, we celebrate our 12th anniversary.  I know that it is customary [and wise] to speak well of your spouse on your anniversary but Minhee truly is an expression and embodiment of God’s grace and beauty to my life. Our marriage – while clearly not perfect – remains focused on the three pillars I often share with others:  Passion.  Vision.  Mission. [another blogpost]

We met in Korea and dated for a week before I returned to the States. We engaged in many phone calls and probably exchanged over a thousand letters since we both weren’t using this technology called ‘electronic mail.’

And while people boast of their marriage proposal stories, I’m pretty sure mine is the most romantic and unique:

The summer before our wedding [while I was still a student in seminary in New Jersey], I put on my best suit, got on my knees, picked up the phone to call Minhee in Korea, and in my best Korean drama voice…asked her to marry me. 🙂

Here’s our wedding photo that still continues to amaze people. Minhee looks her usual photogenic self and I’ve been told I look “very different.”

wedding-003-copy.jpg

Yes, that is me and not Minhee’s first husband.  12 years and according to my guesstimation, 52 more years to go.  Happy Anniversary, Minhee!  And thank you, God, for the allowing me to journey through this life with this partner of passion, vision, and mission.

anniversary5

anniversary3

Feel free to share advice and encouragement.

And we always welcome your prayers for our marriage, family, and pursuits to be recipients and agents of transformation.

Filed under: family,

1. Sue says:

Wow. You look so different.

🙂

2. korea says:

I have been praying for you both.

Minhee has a special place in my heart. She is beyond words.

Good for you!

3. Peter Choi Jr. says:

Happy happy anniversary! Your wedding photo is wonderful. What an awesome journey you two have travelled so far and we know God has so much more planned beyond what we can conceive. Blessings.

4. queermergent says:

CONGRATULATIONS! Wishing you joy and peace throughout the remainder of your years! Blessings!

Warm Regards,

EP

5. daphne says:

Congratulations to you both. You are truly blessed!!

6. kate says:

Happy Anniversary to you both! Sign me up for babysitting duty sometime…..seriously.

7. Peter Ahn says:

Congrads! I pray for many more great years with you and your wife. But dude what is up with that hair on your wedding photo? I couldn’t recognize you.

8. schreiberwriter says:

In the middle of our honeymoon period (probably 2 mos), an older, wiser man said, “It gets better.” I couldn’t imagine how. But, boy, does it get better!

9. And you make fun of Steve for his changing hairstyles! Happy anniversary!

10. Jay says:

Haha, you DO look different now – but change is a good thing. Congratulations to you both and wishing you 12×12 more!

11. Tyler says:

congrats to you both. you have 10 more years on me and that is impressive.

12. Matthew says:

Happy anniversary, Eugene! May you folks have many more just as blessed.

Peace,
    Matthew

13. right on, Eugene. Congrats to you guys, your marriage is an inspiration to other couples (like lauren and I). I only have one question about the earliest photo of you- did you enjoy battling Ralph Macchio in Karate Kid part II?

14. Joonmo says:

Happy Anniversary! I only wish the best for you and your family.

What happend to you?

15. Ben C says:

you guys are my role models

16. Jim Chen says:

Congratulations brother, you and Minhee, you all look radiant together!

17. benjamin says:

wow! I guess seminary does change people!

congratulations on a wonderful life together. you are a blessing to many!

18. Just Meee~ says:

You should have gotten your hair cut for this anniversary… and taken an exact copy of your wedding photo…

How funny would that be ! ! ! !

19. LP says:

that photo with the ampersand is awesome! who took it?

20. eugenecho says:

@LP: me too. i love that photo. it was taken by none else than our 10 year old daughter. coincidentally, the photo got published in a magazine this month. or rather, it was used for a story about our poverty org.

21. happy anniversary, e & m! always thinking and praying for you and your family. wishing you the best.

22. Congratulations……You make a lovely couple…. may many years to come to pass & may God bless you both in happiness, love, and peace with eachother forever….amen.
    “Rahab”

Country living.
I like. The secret to being grateful is no secret. You choose to be grateful. Then you do it again and again. Every day. If you forget, start again. Back to fishing...I mean, umm...back to writing a book. There's no such thing as a self-made person. Someone believed, encouraged, and invested in you. Be grateful and be that someone for others.

Taking a break from the sabbatical...to partner in ministry in Denver at Cherry Hills Church and at the CRU staff conference. It was such a gift to be able to encourage a handful of folks one-to-one, a small group of Asian-American leaders from EPIC, and the larger group of 5000 staff during one of the sessions.

I've been personally blessed, challenged, encouraged, exhorted, and convicted by so many who have poured into my life - friends, acquaintances, and even strangers - and I hope to do that for others as I seek to be faithful to Christ.

Thank you, Lord.
#cru17 Nothing grows by itself. If something matters to us, may we be intentional about growing it.

Invest. Pray. Plant. Water. Nurture. Repeat. God sees and knows us. In fact, God knows everything about us.

Not just the good we try so hard to project but even the mess we often seek to hide.

Let this soak in: Not only are we fully known but in Christ, we are fully pursued and loved.

This is grace.