12 years and counting

anniversary2

On February 1, 1997, Minhee and I exchanged vows and committed ourselves to Christ, one another, our family and community –  the journey of loving, serving, and growing as husband and wife.  Today, we celebrate our 12th anniversary.  I know that it is customary [and wise] to speak well of your spouse on your anniversary but Minhee truly is an expression and embodiment of God’s grace and beauty to my life. Our marriage – while clearly not perfect – remains focused on the three pillars I often share with others:  Passion.  Vision.  Mission. [another blogpost]

We met in Korea and dated for a week before I returned to the States. We engaged in many phone calls and probably exchanged over a thousand letters since we both weren’t using this technology called ‘electronic mail.’

And while people boast of their marriage proposal stories, I’m pretty sure mine is the most romantic and unique:

The summer before our wedding [while I was still a student in seminary in New Jersey], I put on my best suit, got on my knees, picked up the phone to call Minhee in Korea, and in my best Korean drama voice…asked her to marry me. 🙂

Here’s our wedding photo that still continues to amaze people. Minhee looks her usual photogenic self and I’ve been told I look “very different.”

wedding-003-copy.jpg

Yes, that is me and not Minhee’s first husband.  12 years and according to my guesstimation, 52 more years to go.  Happy Anniversary, Minhee!  And thank you, God, for the allowing me to journey through this life with this partner of passion, vision, and mission.

anniversary5

anniversary3

Feel free to share advice and encouragement.

And we always welcome your prayers for our marriage, family, and pursuits to be recipients and agents of transformation.

Filed under: family,

1. Sue says:

Wow. You look so different.

🙂

2. korea says:

I have been praying for you both.

Minhee has a special place in my heart. She is beyond words.

Good for you!

3. Peter Choi Jr. says:

Happy happy anniversary! Your wedding photo is wonderful. What an awesome journey you two have travelled so far and we know God has so much more planned beyond what we can conceive. Blessings.

4. queermergent says:

CONGRATULATIONS! Wishing you joy and peace throughout the remainder of your years! Blessings!

Warm Regards,

EP

5. daphne says:

Congratulations to you both. You are truly blessed!!

6. kate says:

Happy Anniversary to you both! Sign me up for babysitting duty sometime…..seriously.

7. Peter Ahn says:

Congrads! I pray for many more great years with you and your wife. But dude what is up with that hair on your wedding photo? I couldn’t recognize you.

8. schreiberwriter says:

In the middle of our honeymoon period (probably 2 mos), an older, wiser man said, “It gets better.” I couldn’t imagine how. But, boy, does it get better!

9. And you make fun of Steve for his changing hairstyles! Happy anniversary!

10. Jay says:

Haha, you DO look different now – but change is a good thing. Congratulations to you both and wishing you 12×12 more!

11. Tyler says:

congrats to you both. you have 10 more years on me and that is impressive.

12. Matthew says:

Happy anniversary, Eugene! May you folks have many more just as blessed.

Peace,
    Matthew

13. right on, Eugene. Congrats to you guys, your marriage is an inspiration to other couples (like lauren and I). I only have one question about the earliest photo of you- did you enjoy battling Ralph Macchio in Karate Kid part II?

14. Joonmo says:

Happy Anniversary! I only wish the best for you and your family.

What happend to you?

15. Ben C says:

you guys are my role models

16. Jim Chen says:

Congratulations brother, you and Minhee, you all look radiant together!

17. benjamin says:

wow! I guess seminary does change people!

congratulations on a wonderful life together. you are a blessing to many!

18. Just Meee~ says:

You should have gotten your hair cut for this anniversary… and taken an exact copy of your wedding photo…

How funny would that be ! ! ! !

19. LP says:

that photo with the ampersand is awesome! who took it?

20. eugenecho says:

@LP: me too. i love that photo. it was taken by none else than our 10 year old daughter. coincidentally, the photo got published in a magazine this month. or rather, it was used for a story about our poverty org.

21. happy anniversary, e & m! always thinking and praying for you and your family. wishing you the best.

22. Congratulations……You make a lovely couple…. may many years to come to pass & may God bless you both in happiness, love, and peace with eachother forever….amen.
    “Rahab”

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 1 day ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 3 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 3 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 3 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 4 days ago
  • This is what we love to do. Empowering local, indigenous leaders to serve their own communities. Thanks for your su… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 5 days ago