12 years and counting

anniversary2

On February 1, 1997, Minhee and I exchanged vows and committed ourselves to Christ, one another, our family and community –  the journey of loving, serving, and growing as husband and wife.  Today, we celebrate our 12th anniversary.  I know that it is customary [and wise] to speak well of your spouse on your anniversary but Minhee truly is an expression and embodiment of God’s grace and beauty to my life. Our marriage – while clearly not perfect – remains focused on the three pillars I often share with others:  Passion.  Vision.  Mission. [another blogpost]

We met in Korea and dated for a week before I returned to the States. We engaged in many phone calls and probably exchanged over a thousand letters since we both weren’t using this technology called ‘electronic mail.’

And while people boast of their marriage proposal stories, I’m pretty sure mine is the most romantic and unique:

The summer before our wedding [while I was still a student in seminary in New Jersey], I put on my best suit, got on my knees, picked up the phone to call Minhee in Korea, and in my best Korean drama voice…asked her to marry me. 🙂

Here’s our wedding photo that still continues to amaze people. Minhee looks her usual photogenic self and I’ve been told I look “very different.”

wedding-003-copy.jpg

Yes, that is me and not Minhee’s first husband.  12 years and according to my guesstimation, 52 more years to go.  Happy Anniversary, Minhee!  And thank you, God, for the allowing me to journey through this life with this partner of passion, vision, and mission.

anniversary5

anniversary3

Feel free to share advice and encouragement.

And we always welcome your prayers for our marriage, family, and pursuits to be recipients and agents of transformation.

Filed under: family,

1. Sue says:

Wow. You look so different.

🙂

2. korea says:

I have been praying for you both.

Minhee has a special place in my heart. She is beyond words.

Good for you!

3. Peter Choi Jr. says:

Happy happy anniversary! Your wedding photo is wonderful. What an awesome journey you two have travelled so far and we know God has so much more planned beyond what we can conceive. Blessings.

4. queermergent says:

CONGRATULATIONS! Wishing you joy and peace throughout the remainder of your years! Blessings!

Warm Regards,

EP

5. daphne says:

Congratulations to you both. You are truly blessed!!

6. kate says:

Happy Anniversary to you both! Sign me up for babysitting duty sometime…..seriously.

7. Peter Ahn says:

Congrads! I pray for many more great years with you and your wife. But dude what is up with that hair on your wedding photo? I couldn’t recognize you.

8. schreiberwriter says:

In the middle of our honeymoon period (probably 2 mos), an older, wiser man said, “It gets better.” I couldn’t imagine how. But, boy, does it get better!

9. And you make fun of Steve for his changing hairstyles! Happy anniversary!

10. Jay says:

Haha, you DO look different now – but change is a good thing. Congratulations to you both and wishing you 12×12 more!

11. Tyler says:

congrats to you both. you have 10 more years on me and that is impressive.

12. Matthew says:

Happy anniversary, Eugene! May you folks have many more just as blessed.

Peace,
    Matthew

13. right on, Eugene. Congrats to you guys, your marriage is an inspiration to other couples (like lauren and I). I only have one question about the earliest photo of you- did you enjoy battling Ralph Macchio in Karate Kid part II?

14. Joonmo says:

Happy Anniversary! I only wish the best for you and your family.

What happend to you?

15. Ben C says:

you guys are my role models

16. Jim Chen says:

Congratulations brother, you and Minhee, you all look radiant together!

17. benjamin says:

wow! I guess seminary does change people!

congratulations on a wonderful life together. you are a blessing to many!

18. Just Meee~ says:

You should have gotten your hair cut for this anniversary… and taken an exact copy of your wedding photo…

How funny would that be ! ! ! !

19. LP says:

that photo with the ampersand is awesome! who took it?

20. eugenecho says:

@LP: me too. i love that photo. it was taken by none else than our 10 year old daughter. coincidentally, the photo got published in a magazine this month. or rather, it was used for a story about our poverty org.

21. happy anniversary, e & m! always thinking and praying for you and your family. wishing you the best.

22. Congratulations……You make a lovely couple…. may many years to come to pass & may God bless you both in happiness, love, and peace with eachother forever….amen.
    “Rahab”

We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on. I have to remind myself of this every day...because I can forget every day:

Don't be lazy and make assumptions about people. Ask about their story. Then listen. Be humble. Be teachable. Be human. Be a good neighbor.