12 years and counting

anniversary2

On February 1, 1997, Minhee and I exchanged vows and committed ourselves to Christ, one another, our family and community –  the journey of loving, serving, and growing as husband and wife.  Today, we celebrate our 12th anniversary.  I know that it is customary [and wise] to speak well of your spouse on your anniversary but Minhee truly is an expression and embodiment of God’s grace and beauty to my life. Our marriage – while clearly not perfect – remains focused on the three pillars I often share with others:  Passion.  Vision.  Mission. [another blogpost]

We met in Korea and dated for a week before I returned to the States. We engaged in many phone calls and probably exchanged over a thousand letters since we both weren’t using this technology called ‘electronic mail.’

And while people boast of their marriage proposal stories, I’m pretty sure mine is the most romantic and unique:

The summer before our wedding [while I was still a student in seminary in New Jersey], I put on my best suit, got on my knees, picked up the phone to call Minhee in Korea, and in my best Korean drama voice…asked her to marry me.🙂

Here’s our wedding photo that still continues to amaze people. Minhee looks her usual photogenic self and I’ve been told I look “very different.”

wedding-003-copy.jpg

Yes, that is me and not Minhee’s first husband.  12 years and according to my guesstimation, 52 more years to go.  Happy Anniversary, Minhee!  And thank you, God, for the allowing me to journey through this life with this partner of passion, vision, and mission.

anniversary5

anniversary3

Feel free to share advice and encouragement.

And we always welcome your prayers for our marriage, family, and pursuits to be recipients and agents of transformation.

Filed under: family,

1. Sue says:

Wow. You look so different.
    🙂

2. korea says:

I have been praying for you both.

Minhee has a special place in my heart. She is beyond words.

Good for you!

3. Peter Choi Jr. says:

Happy happy anniversary! Your wedding photo is wonderful. What an awesome journey you two have travelled so far and we know God has so much more planned beyond what we can conceive. Blessings.

4. queermergent says:

CONGRATULATIONS! Wishing you joy and peace throughout the remainder of your years! Blessings!

Warm Regards,

EP

5. daphne says:

Congratulations to you both. You are truly blessed!!

6. kate says:

Happy Anniversary to you both! Sign me up for babysitting duty sometime…..seriously.

7. Peter Ahn says:

Congrads! I pray for many more great years with you and your wife. But dude what is up with that hair on your wedding photo? I couldn’t recognize you.

8. schreiberwriter says:

In the middle of our honeymoon period (probably 2 mos), an older, wiser man said, “It gets better.” I couldn’t imagine how. But, boy, does it get better!

9. And you make fun of Steve for his changing hairstyles! Happy anniversary!

10. Jay says:

Haha, you DO look different now – but change is a good thing. Congratulations to you both and wishing you 12×12 more!

11. Tyler says:

congrats to you both. you have 10 more years on me and that is impressive.

12. Matthew says:

Happy anniversary, Eugene! May you folks have many more just as blessed.

Peace,
    Matthew

13. right on, Eugene. Congrats to you guys, your marriage is an inspiration to other couples (like lauren and I). I only have one question about the earliest photo of you- did you enjoy battling Ralph Macchio in Karate Kid part II?

14. Joonmo says:

Happy Anniversary! I only wish the best for you and your family.

What happend to you?

15. Ben C says:

you guys are my role models

16. Jim Chen says:

Congratulations brother, you and Minhee, you all look radiant together!

17. benjamin says:

wow! I guess seminary does change people!

congratulations on a wonderful life together. you are a blessing to many!

18. Just Meee~ says:

You should have gotten your hair cut for this anniversary… and taken an exact copy of your wedding photo…

How funny would that be ! ! ! !

19. LP says:

that photo with the ampersand is awesome! who took it?

20. eugenecho says:

@LP: me too. i love that photo. it was taken by none else than our 10 year old daughter. coincidentally, the photo got published in a magazine this month. or rather, it was used for a story about our poverty org.

21. happy anniversary, e & m! always thinking and praying for you and your family. wishing you the best.

22. Congratulations……You make a lovely couple…. may many years to come to pass & may God bless you both in happiness, love, and peace with eachother forever….amen.
    “Rahab”

Today, Minhee and I dropped off our eldest child at her college. We have been thinking and praying about this day for many years. On some days, we hoped it would never come. On other days, we couldn't wait for it to come. On some days, we prayed for time to stop and other days, we prayed with anticipation.

A flood of thoughts rushed my mind.

Is she ready?
Have we done enough?
Have we taught her enough?
What if this? What if that?

And I came home.
And I wept.
Forget my street cred.
I miss her. I love her.
She will always be my little baby.

Happy life. - Eugenius 3:16

I still remember that time, many years ago, when Minhee was pregnant with our first child. She had left her family and friends in Korea just two years before. Her morning sickness was horrible and when she finally had an appetite, she craved her favorite Korean food from certain restaurants in her neighborhood in Seoul, Korea. I had no way of getting that food from those restaurants so I actually said, "How about a Whopper? Big Mac?" Sorry honey. Eat away. You deserve it. I don't care if it sounds mushy but sunsets are one of my love languages. Seoul, Korea was amazing but WOW...what a breathtaking welcome back sunset by Seattle. Not ready to let go of summer. Seattle. 7:00pm. Desperately holding on to summer. #goldengardenpark #nofilter Happy Birthday, Minhee! I'm so grateful for you. You radiate faith, hope, and love.  No...you don't complete me. That would be silly and simply humanly impossible but you keep pointing me and our family to Christ who informs and transforms our lives, marriage, family, and ministry. Thanks for being so faithful. I love you so much. (* And what a gift to be in Korea together.)