12 years and counting

anniversary2

On February 1, 1997, Minhee and I exchanged vows and committed ourselves to Christ, one another, our family and community –  the journey of loving, serving, and growing as husband and wife.  Today, we celebrate our 12th anniversary.  I know that it is customary [and wise] to speak well of your spouse on your anniversary but Minhee truly is an expression and embodiment of God’s grace and beauty to my life. Our marriage – while clearly not perfect – remains focused on the three pillars I often share with others:  Passion.  Vision.  Mission. [another blogpost]

We met in Korea and dated for a week before I returned to the States. We engaged in many phone calls and probably exchanged over a thousand letters since we both weren’t using this technology called ‘electronic mail.’

And while people boast of their marriage proposal stories, I’m pretty sure mine is the most romantic and unique:

The summer before our wedding [while I was still a student in seminary in New Jersey], I put on my best suit, got on my knees, picked up the phone to call Minhee in Korea, and in my best Korean drama voice…asked her to marry me. 🙂

Here’s our wedding photo that still continues to amaze people. Minhee looks her usual photogenic self and I’ve been told I look “very different.”

wedding-003-copy.jpg

Yes, that is me and not Minhee’s first husband.  12 years and according to my guesstimation, 52 more years to go.  Happy Anniversary, Minhee!  And thank you, God, for the allowing me to journey through this life with this partner of passion, vision, and mission.

anniversary5

anniversary3

Feel free to share advice and encouragement.

And we always welcome your prayers for our marriage, family, and pursuits to be recipients and agents of transformation.

Filed under: family,

1. Sue says:

Wow. You look so different.

🙂

2. korea says:

I have been praying for you both.

Minhee has a special place in my heart. She is beyond words.

Good for you!

3. Peter Choi Jr. says:

Happy happy anniversary! Your wedding photo is wonderful. What an awesome journey you two have travelled so far and we know God has so much more planned beyond what we can conceive. Blessings.

4. queermergent says:

CONGRATULATIONS! Wishing you joy and peace throughout the remainder of your years! Blessings!

Warm Regards,

EP

5. daphne says:

Congratulations to you both. You are truly blessed!!

6. kate says:

Happy Anniversary to you both! Sign me up for babysitting duty sometime…..seriously.

7. Peter Ahn says:

Congrads! I pray for many more great years with you and your wife. But dude what is up with that hair on your wedding photo? I couldn’t recognize you.

8. schreiberwriter says:

In the middle of our honeymoon period (probably 2 mos), an older, wiser man said, “It gets better.” I couldn’t imagine how. But, boy, does it get better!

9. And you make fun of Steve for his changing hairstyles! Happy anniversary!

10. Jay says:

Haha, you DO look different now – but change is a good thing. Congratulations to you both and wishing you 12×12 more!

11. Tyler says:

congrats to you both. you have 10 more years on me and that is impressive.

12. Matthew says:

Happy anniversary, Eugene! May you folks have many more just as blessed.

Peace,
    Matthew

13. right on, Eugene. Congrats to you guys, your marriage is an inspiration to other couples (like lauren and I). I only have one question about the earliest photo of you- did you enjoy battling Ralph Macchio in Karate Kid part II?

14. Joonmo says:

Happy Anniversary! I only wish the best for you and your family.

What happend to you?

15. Ben C says:

you guys are my role models

16. Jim Chen says:

Congratulations brother, you and Minhee, you all look radiant together!

17. benjamin says:

wow! I guess seminary does change people!

congratulations on a wonderful life together. you are a blessing to many!

18. Just Meee~ says:

You should have gotten your hair cut for this anniversary… and taken an exact copy of your wedding photo…

How funny would that be ! ! ! !

19. LP says:

that photo with the ampersand is awesome! who took it?

20. eugenecho says:

@LP: me too. i love that photo. it was taken by none else than our 10 year old daughter. coincidentally, the photo got published in a magazine this month. or rather, it was used for a story about our poverty org.

21. happy anniversary, e & m! always thinking and praying for you and your family. wishing you the best.

22. Congratulations……You make a lovely couple…. may many years to come to pass & may God bless you both in happiness, love, and peace with eachother forever….amen.
    “Rahab”

Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest Took a train to Busan. Did not encounter any zombies but I was ready just in case.

Busan. First visit to this city (couple weeks ago) and was blown away by its beauty. Also, shocked that it has become the fifth largest containment port city in the world. That's a lot of import and export.

#MyAttemptToBeTheBestSmartphonePhotographer
#Pusan #SouthKorea

• Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 6 hours ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 6 hours ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 6 hours ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 2 days ago
  • Father, bless these Iraqi and Syrian refugee children that have already endured so much. As we pray, teach us how t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 4 days ago
  • Pray for Iraq. Pray for persecuted Church, minority groups (Yezidis) and Muslims alike who are suffering under ISIS: instagram.com/p/BZF2j6Ngrna/ || 4 days ago