what advice would you give to president obama?

I’m disappointed that Barack hasn’t emailed, texted, or called me recently.  Or even to play ball together.  Maybe he’s busy.  Or likely, he doesn’t know who I am.

Wait…I guess it’s best to call him President Obama now.

Many of you already shared your thoughts – several months ago – about President Elect Barack Obama.

Everyone’s talking about the historic nature of his election, inauguration, and presidency. Certainly…but I’m just having a hard time wrapping my head and heart around it.  It’s so new.  I’m actually looking forward to being in Germany and South Africa to observe the inauguration via the media and lens of other countries.

But I’m still moved by this [from an earlier post post election results]:

I was listening to an interview of an African-American woman who spoke of what will take place on January 20, 2009 when Obama is sworn in as the President of the United States.  He will be sworn in on the very steps of Capitol Hill that were built in part by the labor of black slaves.  Just consider that for a few seconds.

Someone asked me what advice I would give to Obama if he asked me to be a pastoral/spiritual adviser?

What advice would you give President Obama?

7  things immediately popped up:

1.  Know who you are.   Honor your convictions but have a humble and listening ear and heart.

2.  Acknowledge and engage in relationship with God.  Pray. Read the Scriptures. Ask the Spirit for guidance.

3.  Remember the people.  Remember those who are the least of these; the poor; the widows; those without voice.

4.  Family.  Love your wife.  Your marriage will be the backbone of your life and presidency.  Your fatherhood is non-negotiable.  Your daughters need you as their father.  Be present.  Period.

5.  Community.  Surround yourself with good, gifted, compassionate, and faithful people.  People who believe in you but those who are unafraid to respectfully share their differences wit you.

6.  Know the difference between Authority and Power.  Don’t abuse your power.  Demonstrate authority…but don’t abuse power.

7.  Be a global leader.  You’re not only the President of the United States but also a global leader.  Reach out your hand…

8.  ____________________

What advice would you give President Obama?

Filed under:

1. Ben Lee says:

Good advices you listed above. My advice to Obama would be:

1. Fear God. (Duet. 11).

2. gar says:

To borrow a verse from my FB profile…

“Administer TRUE JUSTICE; show MERCY and COMPASSION to one another. Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless, the alien or the poor. In your hearts do not think evil of each other.” -Zech. 7:9-10

3. HC says:

Love Mercy, Seek Justice, and Walk Humbly.

4. […] And I can always count on Eugene Cho for color commentary on current events: what advice would you give to president obama? […]

5. korea says:

Be a man of prayer.
    Be a family of prayer.

Be a leader who does the IMPORTANT before the URGENT.
    Prayer is all-important.

Christ, the example of a leader, modelled that.

6. chad says:

8. Talk. To as many people as often as you can (stand). more talk = more perspectives = better insights = better choices

7. Bret says:

I would ask him to consider defunding the very profitable “not for profit” organization known as Planned Parenthood:

Which is what this admendment, introduced yesterday, seeks to do:

8. Jose lavadia says:

“What advice would you give the president of the United States”

I Jose Lavadia would tell our president to try keeping the neighbors in touch to maintain America a joyful area. Our president Barack Obama should inspire people to chase their dreams by being a very wise president to make them think “the better you go the better you get” president Obama shall make the poor’s life easier by sending more police forces to the most dangerous ghetto areas. You can find many homeless people in those areas. President Obama should make schools better by putting students in the right grade or class that will make them understand better.
    As a leader of the United States of America, President Obama should start a team to help him through his job which is the hardest job because of this year’s economic crisis. First, President Obama should take care of the economy. Next, President Obama should take care of the war at Iraq, Afghanistan and Gaza (Middle East with Israel) for the nations security issues. Last, President Obama should take care of the jobs and settlements to mobilize thousands of unemployed workforces.
    President Obama should repair the infrastructure in the United States which would be a long term project. President Obama should be taking care of the financial crisis that our parents and we children are facing. But the president cannot work his own that he needs to come up a very strong group of political leaders under his command.
    But most of all, our dear President should maintain his direction in leading and serving the nation so that the majority of people will support what everybody is aspiring for including our president.
    May President Obama continue aspire us children to always do well to our country and fellowmen by being true to his service at all times. Our president should

9. emeka nkwo says:

Dear Mr. President Obama,

FIRST OF ALL, I SAY WELCOME BACK CHRIST, NOBODY WAS TOLD HOW CHRIST WAS GOING TO COME BACK, AND NOW THAT HE IS BACK VERY FEW PEOPLE SEEMS TO TO NOTICE.

EVERYBODY WANTS YOU TO INTERFER INTO IRAN’S CHAOS BUT YOU ALONE AS A MESSAGER THAT KNOWS THE MESSAGE YOU HAVE COME TO DELIVER WILL DO JUST THAT. TAKE YOUR TIME, BUT DO IT RIGHT AND DO NOT EVER LEAVE US WITHOUT FIXING THE PROBLEM. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH RIGHT THING FOR ONCE, HELL, EXCUSE MY LANGUAGE, WHY NOT FOREVER

I THINK ALL MIDDLE EAST WILL HAVE TO LEARN FROM THIS, SO THAT THEIR CITIZENS WILL SEE THAT THE WESTERN WORLD DO NOT MEAN NO HARM BUT, TO SHOW FREEDOM TO ALL MANKIND. BUT, FOR LONG TIME UNITED STATES HAVE NOT SHOWN LEADERSHIP BY EXAMLPE. THANK GOD WE DO NOW.

WE WERE WORRIED ABOUT IRAN HAVING UCLEAR WEAPON, NO WE SHOULD BE WORRIED ABOUT IRAN MALTREATING THEIR OWN PEOPLE. AND THE WHOLE WORLD IS WATCHING, AND OTHERS ARE CONTEMPLATING. THIS A WAR IS UNITED STATES CAN NOT AFFORD TO LOOSE BY INTERFERING.

TO MAKE WAR IS COSTLY, BUT PEACE IS PRICELESS.

LET US LEAVE THE EVILS FALL ON THEIR SWORDS. IT IS ALL ABOUT THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY.

HAPPY FATHER’S DAY MR. PRESIDENT

10. Dear Mr. President,

Currently the BP Oil Spill is being considered as the worst Oil Spill in the history of our country. As unfortunate as this is the opportunity to help Americans while helping the Ecosystem in the Gulf is right in front of us.

EMPLOY AMERICANS!!! Employ as many as possible to create a force of staff to help clean up the damage caused by the 17+ Million gallons of Oil leaked into our ocean.

I am one of the unfortunate Americans who have lost their job but have taken it as an opportunity to start own business. Many Americans do not have this option nor do they have the ability to do so hence the need for employment.

Please, don’t consider the limited resources you have in the fields required to manage this, soon to be, global issue; the only resources available. Turn our unemployed Americans into a Workforce that can help in this disaster.

I wish you luck and hope that the wisdom needed to resolve this disaster will be given to you.

11. Tracy says:

pull your lower lip up over your head and swallow!

People often ask, "How does one stand all that rain in Seattle?" Actually, it doesn't rain that much. I like the rain. Keeps everything "evergreen" and clean. Keeps our air fresh. What's challenging is the gray weather. Give me a few more sunny days. 99 more days to be specific.
Regardless, still love this city. Checking out Canada in case I need to move up North after the presidential election. Just saying, eh.

Downtown Toronto. Fascinating architecture. Amazed by the diversity of this city. We desperately want our children to not just be captivated by the beauty of creation...but more importantly, to the actual Creator of all that is good and beautiful.

Actually, we want and need this truth for our souls, too. What a privilege. This isn't possible without all those who give, pray, and support the work of @onedayswages. This week, I signed and mailed grants to three partner organizations totaling over $170,000. These grants will empower people by supporting maternal health care, refugee relief efforts, access to clean water, provide education, etc.

Sometimes, the brokenness of the world feel so overwhelming but let's keep running the race with endurance. Let's keep pursuing justice, mercy, and humility. Let's be faithful and may we be spurred on to keep working for God's Kingdom...on earth as it is in heaven.

Again, thank you so much for your support for @onedayswages! My wife, Minhee, and I stand on the shoulders of praying mothers. I'd like to take a moment to honor my mother-in-law. It's hard to put words together to embody her life but she is a very special, anointed person. I'm so blessed to have her as a mother in my life.

She was a devoted wife until she lost her husband to cancer, mother to three daughters, and later became a pastor. She became a follower of Christ as an adult and as such, led her her family to Christ. In her late 50s, she obeyed God's calling to go to seminary and be a leader in the church. She graduated #1 in her class and reminded us that it's never too late to follow a new dream or calling.

As she'll soon celebrate her 80th birthday, I'm especially grateful for the ways that she poured into and prayed over Minhee and her other children.  Even though she's officially retired, I'm inspired that the concept of retirement is not in her vocabulary.  She continues to serve the local church, evangelize and bear witness to Christ, and goes to the early morning prayer meeting at 5am everyday to pray for our family, our church, and for others.
Jangmonim, we love and honor you. 어머니, 사랑합니다.

Someday, I hope that when my kids speak of Minhee and I...above all, they would say with integrity that their parents prayed for them and kept pointing them to Christ. On this Mother's Day, I want to take a few words to honor mother.

There’s a moment from a few years ago that will stick with me until the day I die. It’s regarding Sung Wha, my mother.

Minhee and I were at a point of transition, between working at an ethnic Korean church in the northern suburbs of Seattle called Lynnwood and launching Quest in urban Seattle. As I shared earlier, I was in desperate need of a job. I had a mortgage to pay. A pregnant wife. A kid at home.
Then, praise God, after months without work, I finally landed a job.

My mom was in between jobs at this point in her life. She was in her late fifties, but she had such bad knees and degenerative hips that it was, and is, difficult for her to walk. My mom is like a human barometer—when a storm is coming and when it rains, her hips throb. Although my parents lived in San Francisco, she was visiting us in Seattle to encourage us in this difficult season.

As I prepared to go to work one early morning, I walked downstairs to put on my jacket and shoes, and forgot that my mother woke up early every morning to pray. In fact, she had been praying for months that I would find a job. “Eugene, where are you going?” she said when she saw me.

I hadn’t told my mother the news that I had just recently been hired for the janitorial gig at Barnes and Noble. I chose not to because I thought she and my father would be devastated. I didn’t want them to think that after laboring, sacrificing, and doing so much for us over all those years that their son had failed them.

But I couldn’t lie to her, so eventually I told my mom that I got a job and was going to work. “Great! What job? What are you doing?” “Um, I’m working at Barnes and Noble as their custodian,” I said finally.

Without asking another question, my mother got up from the dining table where she had been reading her Bible and praying. She slowly walked slowly toward me.

She approached me, then walked past me without saying a word, and I realized she was headed toward the closet. She opened the closet door, put on her jacket, turned around and said to me (in Korean), “Eugene, let’s go together. I will help you.” This is my mother.

• People often ask, "How do stand all that rain in Seattle?" Actually, it doesn't rain that much.… instagram.com/p/BF2giXwyWTY/ || 15 hours ago
  • Don't obsess about your platform.Just do your thing with passion, humility, integrity. We do what we do for God's glory, not human applause. || 1 day ago
  • Someone tell Steph Curry that he's the MVP because he's playing a lot like me in my rec league. || 1 day ago
  • .@SeattleQuest recently hosted Kenneth Bae (Prisoner 103). He was detained in DPRK for 735days. WATCH his testimony: vimeo.com/167680426 || 2 days ago
  • RT @seattlequest: Suffering is a short cut to God's heart. Even if your circumstances don't change, God is always w/ you. - KennethBae http… || 3 days ago
  • Oh Lord, You love North Korea, Syria, Iraq, Congo, Nigeria, Turkey and ______. You love the nations. Give us Your heart for the world. Amen. || 4 days ago

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,409 other followers