what advice would you give to president obama?

I’m disappointed that Barack hasn’t emailed, texted, or called me recently.  Or even to play ball together.  Maybe he’s busy.  Or likely, he doesn’t know who I am.

Wait…I guess it’s best to call him President Obama now.

Many of you already shared your thoughts – several months ago – about President Elect Barack Obama.

Everyone’s talking about the historic nature of his election, inauguration, and presidency. Certainly…but I’m just having a hard time wrapping my head and heart around it.  It’s so new.  I’m actually looking forward to being in Germany and South Africa to observe the inauguration via the media and lens of other countries.

But I’m still moved by this [from an earlier post post election results]:

I was listening to an interview of an African-American woman who spoke of what will take place on January 20, 2009 when Obama is sworn in as the President of the United States.  He will be sworn in on the very steps of Capitol Hill that were built in part by the labor of black slaves.  Just consider that for a few seconds.

Someone asked me what advice I would give to Obama if he asked me to be a pastoral/spiritual adviser?

What advice would you give President Obama?

7  things immediately popped up:

1.  Know who you are.   Honor your convictions but have a humble and listening ear and heart.

2.  Acknowledge and engage in relationship with God.  Pray. Read the Scriptures. Ask the Spirit for guidance.

3.  Remember the people.  Remember those who are the least of these; the poor; the widows; those without voice.

4.  Family.  Love your wife.  Your marriage will be the backbone of your life and presidency.  Your fatherhood is non-negotiable.  Your daughters need you as their father.  Be present.  Period.

5.  Community.  Surround yourself with good, gifted, compassionate, and faithful people.  People who believe in you but those who are unafraid to respectfully share their differences wit you.

6.  Know the difference between Authority and Power.  Don’t abuse your power.  Demonstrate authority…but don’t abuse power.

7.  Be a global leader.  You’re not only the President of the United States but also a global leader.  Reach out your hand…

8.  ____________________

What advice would you give President Obama?

Filed under:

1. Ben Lee says:

Good advices you listed above. My advice to Obama would be:

1. Fear God. (Duet. 11).

2. gar says:

To borrow a verse from my FB profile…

“Administer TRUE JUSTICE; show MERCY and COMPASSION to one another. Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless, the alien or the poor. In your hearts do not think evil of each other.” -Zech. 7:9-10

3. HC says:

Love Mercy, Seek Justice, and Walk Humbly.

4. […] And I can always count on Eugene Cho for color commentary on current events: what advice would you give to president obama? […]

5. korea says:

Be a man of prayer.
    Be a family of prayer.

Be a leader who does the IMPORTANT before the URGENT.
    Prayer is all-important.

Christ, the example of a leader, modelled that.

6. chad says:

8. Talk. To as many people as often as you can (stand). more talk = more perspectives = better insights = better choices

7. Bret says:

I would ask him to consider defunding the very profitable “not for profit” organization known as Planned Parenthood:

Which is what this admendment, introduced yesterday, seeks to do:

8. Jose lavadia says:

“What advice would you give the president of the United States”

I Jose Lavadia would tell our president to try keeping the neighbors in touch to maintain America a joyful area. Our president Barack Obama should inspire people to chase their dreams by being a very wise president to make them think “the better you go the better you get” president Obama shall make the poor’s life easier by sending more police forces to the most dangerous ghetto areas. You can find many homeless people in those areas. President Obama should make schools better by putting students in the right grade or class that will make them understand better.
    As a leader of the United States of America, President Obama should start a team to help him through his job which is the hardest job because of this year’s economic crisis. First, President Obama should take care of the economy. Next, President Obama should take care of the war at Iraq, Afghanistan and Gaza (Middle East with Israel) for the nations security issues. Last, President Obama should take care of the jobs and settlements to mobilize thousands of unemployed workforces.
    President Obama should repair the infrastructure in the United States which would be a long term project. President Obama should be taking care of the financial crisis that our parents and we children are facing. But the president cannot work his own that he needs to come up a very strong group of political leaders under his command.
    But most of all, our dear President should maintain his direction in leading and serving the nation so that the majority of people will support what everybody is aspiring for including our president.
    May President Obama continue aspire us children to always do well to our country and fellowmen by being true to his service at all times. Our president should

9. emeka nkwo says:

Dear Mr. President Obama,

FIRST OF ALL, I SAY WELCOME BACK CHRIST, NOBODY WAS TOLD HOW CHRIST WAS GOING TO COME BACK, AND NOW THAT HE IS BACK VERY FEW PEOPLE SEEMS TO TO NOTICE.

EVERYBODY WANTS YOU TO INTERFER INTO IRAN’S CHAOS BUT YOU ALONE AS A MESSAGER THAT KNOWS THE MESSAGE YOU HAVE COME TO DELIVER WILL DO JUST THAT. TAKE YOUR TIME, BUT DO IT RIGHT AND DO NOT EVER LEAVE US WITHOUT FIXING THE PROBLEM. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH RIGHT THING FOR ONCE, HELL, EXCUSE MY LANGUAGE, WHY NOT FOREVER

I THINK ALL MIDDLE EAST WILL HAVE TO LEARN FROM THIS, SO THAT THEIR CITIZENS WILL SEE THAT THE WESTERN WORLD DO NOT MEAN NO HARM BUT, TO SHOW FREEDOM TO ALL MANKIND. BUT, FOR LONG TIME UNITED STATES HAVE NOT SHOWN LEADERSHIP BY EXAMLPE. THANK GOD WE DO NOW.

WE WERE WORRIED ABOUT IRAN HAVING UCLEAR WEAPON, NO WE SHOULD BE WORRIED ABOUT IRAN MALTREATING THEIR OWN PEOPLE. AND THE WHOLE WORLD IS WATCHING, AND OTHERS ARE CONTEMPLATING. THIS A WAR IS UNITED STATES CAN NOT AFFORD TO LOOSE BY INTERFERING.

TO MAKE WAR IS COSTLY, BUT PEACE IS PRICELESS.

LET US LEAVE THE EVILS FALL ON THEIR SWORDS. IT IS ALL ABOUT THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY.

HAPPY FATHER’S DAY MR. PRESIDENT

10. Dear Mr. President,

Currently the BP Oil Spill is being considered as the worst Oil Spill in the history of our country. As unfortunate as this is the opportunity to help Americans while helping the Ecosystem in the Gulf is right in front of us.

EMPLOY AMERICANS!!! Employ as many as possible to create a force of staff to help clean up the damage caused by the 17+ Million gallons of Oil leaked into our ocean.

I am one of the unfortunate Americans who have lost their job but have taken it as an opportunity to start own business. Many Americans do not have this option nor do they have the ability to do so hence the need for employment.

Please, don’t consider the limited resources you have in the fields required to manage this, soon to be, global issue; the only resources available. Turn our unemployed Americans into a Workforce that can help in this disaster.

I wish you luck and hope that the wisdom needed to resolve this disaster will be given to you.

F A M I L Y. So grateful to be creating memories.

Confession time: I sucked in my belly like it's the end of the world because of the full solar eclipse and then stopped breathing until this photo was taken. Which is probably why my wife looks like she's punching me on the side. But...mission accomplished. #OldManTricks These are crazy, turbulent times. Fight the good fight. Run the race set before us.

But we also need you for the long haul. Don't burn out. Discipleship and justice work is a marathon. Learn to take care of yourself. Don't play the victim. It's far too tempting to blame others. Be rooted in prayer, Scripture, and community. It's okay to pause, critical to rest and retreat, and godly to practice Sabbath.

#NoteToSelf Everyone loves the idea of  reconciliation...until it involves truthtelling, confessing, repenting, dismantling, forgiving, and peacemaking. Charlottesville. So heartbreaking and infuriating. We weep and mourn over the hatred in the hearts of these white nationalists. We weep and mourn but we can't be defeated.

As I stare at this photo that's making its round on the internet, I'm reminded of the utter importance of showing up. I'm grateful for the news media, law enforcement, clergy, and peaceful protesters that are currently there to report, protect, pray, and protest.

And this is an invitation to us. May we not be mere bystanders. May we keep pressing forward. Seek justice. Love mercy. Walk humbly. Commit to truth-telling, justice, reconciliation, peacemaking. Follow the ways of Christ. Every day. And it's important to note that we don't have to go to Charlottesville to do this. In fact, it's more important that we do this exactly where we're at. May we live out the call to reconciliation in our churches, workplaces, neighborhoods, schools, and around our dining tables. Lord, may it be so... We don't have to go to Charlottesville to do this. We have to do this wherever were called to be.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” ~ Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. /// Thanks to those who let me know that the photo wasn't actually from today but rather from last month in Charlottesville. - https://www.facebook.com/FrankSomervilleKTVU/posts/1551137301616258:0 Grateful for a spontaneous, last minute trip with Minhee to my old stomping grounds - San Francisco. 48 hours of visiting this special city that I called home for so many years.

Pic 1: Went to the Cliff House restaurant where we got engaged about 21 years ago to make out. Oops, sorry, I meant...to reflect on God's faithfulness over these many years.

Pic 2: Walked across the Golden Gate Bridge because it's such an iconic place - with some of the most incredible views.

Pic 3: Enjoyed a glass of some Cabernet Sauvignon and pretended to be wine connoisseurs at a vineyard.

Pic 4: Had lunch at my favorite Chinese restaurant, Sam Tung, which boasts some of the best chicken in the country. And of course, we ate at In-n-out.

Pic 5: And finally, celebrated with the good folks at @thefreedomstory where @onedayswages received their annual Freedom Award. What an honor.

Grateful. Thankful for this sabbatical. Breathe.

Show yourself some grace.

We can't do everything for everyone in every situation. Do what you can and do it with a joyful heart.

Amen