what advice would you give to president obama?

I’m disappointed that Barack hasn’t emailed, texted, or called me recently.  Or even to play ball together.  Maybe he’s busy.  Or likely, he doesn’t know who I am.

Wait…I guess it’s best to call him President Obama now.

Many of you already shared your thoughts – several months ago – about President Elect Barack Obama.

Everyone’s talking about the historic nature of his election, inauguration, and presidency. Certainly…but I’m just having a hard time wrapping my head and heart around it.  It’s so new.  I’m actually looking forward to being in Germany and South Africa to observe the inauguration via the media and lens of other countries.

But I’m still moved by this [from an earlier post post election results]:

I was listening to an interview of an African-American woman who spoke of what will take place on January 20, 2009 when Obama is sworn in as the President of the United States.  He will be sworn in on the very steps of Capitol Hill that were built in part by the labor of black slaves.  Just consider that for a few seconds.

Someone asked me what advice I would give to Obama if he asked me to be a pastoral/spiritual adviser?

What advice would you give President Obama?

7  things immediately popped up:

1.  Know who you are.   Honor your convictions but have a humble and listening ear and heart.

2.  Acknowledge and engage in relationship with God.  Pray. Read the Scriptures. Ask the Spirit for guidance.

3.  Remember the people.  Remember those who are the least of these; the poor; the widows; those without voice.

4.  Family.  Love your wife.  Your marriage will be the backbone of your life and presidency.  Your fatherhood is non-negotiable.  Your daughters need you as their father.  Be present.  Period.

5.  Community.  Surround yourself with good, gifted, compassionate, and faithful people.  People who believe in you but those who are unafraid to respectfully share their differences wit you.

6.  Know the difference between Authority and Power.  Don’t abuse your power.  Demonstrate authority…but don’t abuse power.

7.  Be a global leader.  You’re not only the President of the United States but also a global leader.  Reach out your hand…

8.  ____________________

What advice would you give President Obama?

Filed under:

1. Ben Lee says:

Good advices you listed above. My advice to Obama would be:

1. Fear God. (Duet. 11).

2. gar says:

To borrow a verse from my FB profile…

“Administer TRUE JUSTICE; show MERCY and COMPASSION to one another. Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless, the alien or the poor. In your hearts do not think evil of each other.” -Zech. 7:9-10

3. HC says:

Love Mercy, Seek Justice, and Walk Humbly.

4. […] And I can always count on Eugene Cho for color commentary on current events: what advice would you give to president obama? […]

5. korea says:

Be a man of prayer.
    Be a family of prayer.

Be a leader who does the IMPORTANT before the URGENT.
    Prayer is all-important.

Christ, the example of a leader, modelled that.

6. chad says:

8. Talk. To as many people as often as you can (stand). more talk = more perspectives = better insights = better choices

7. Bret says:

I would ask him to consider defunding the very profitable “not for profit” organization known as Planned Parenthood:

Which is what this admendment, introduced yesterday, seeks to do:

8. Jose lavadia says:

“What advice would you give the president of the United States”

I Jose Lavadia would tell our president to try keeping the neighbors in touch to maintain America a joyful area. Our president Barack Obama should inspire people to chase their dreams by being a very wise president to make them think “the better you go the better you get” president Obama shall make the poor’s life easier by sending more police forces to the most dangerous ghetto areas. You can find many homeless people in those areas. President Obama should make schools better by putting students in the right grade or class that will make them understand better.
    As a leader of the United States of America, President Obama should start a team to help him through his job which is the hardest job because of this year’s economic crisis. First, President Obama should take care of the economy. Next, President Obama should take care of the war at Iraq, Afghanistan and Gaza (Middle East with Israel) for the nations security issues. Last, President Obama should take care of the jobs and settlements to mobilize thousands of unemployed workforces.
    President Obama should repair the infrastructure in the United States which would be a long term project. President Obama should be taking care of the financial crisis that our parents and we children are facing. But the president cannot work his own that he needs to come up a very strong group of political leaders under his command.
    But most of all, our dear President should maintain his direction in leading and serving the nation so that the majority of people will support what everybody is aspiring for including our president.
    May President Obama continue aspire us children to always do well to our country and fellowmen by being true to his service at all times. Our president should

9. emeka nkwo says:

Dear Mr. President Obama,

FIRST OF ALL, I SAY WELCOME BACK CHRIST, NOBODY WAS TOLD HOW CHRIST WAS GOING TO COME BACK, AND NOW THAT HE IS BACK VERY FEW PEOPLE SEEMS TO TO NOTICE.

EVERYBODY WANTS YOU TO INTERFER INTO IRAN’S CHAOS BUT YOU ALONE AS A MESSAGER THAT KNOWS THE MESSAGE YOU HAVE COME TO DELIVER WILL DO JUST THAT. TAKE YOUR TIME, BUT DO IT RIGHT AND DO NOT EVER LEAVE US WITHOUT FIXING THE PROBLEM. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH RIGHT THING FOR ONCE, HELL, EXCUSE MY LANGUAGE, WHY NOT FOREVER

I THINK ALL MIDDLE EAST WILL HAVE TO LEARN FROM THIS, SO THAT THEIR CITIZENS WILL SEE THAT THE WESTERN WORLD DO NOT MEAN NO HARM BUT, TO SHOW FREEDOM TO ALL MANKIND. BUT, FOR LONG TIME UNITED STATES HAVE NOT SHOWN LEADERSHIP BY EXAMLPE. THANK GOD WE DO NOW.

WE WERE WORRIED ABOUT IRAN HAVING UCLEAR WEAPON, NO WE SHOULD BE WORRIED ABOUT IRAN MALTREATING THEIR OWN PEOPLE. AND THE WHOLE WORLD IS WATCHING, AND OTHERS ARE CONTEMPLATING. THIS A WAR IS UNITED STATES CAN NOT AFFORD TO LOOSE BY INTERFERING.

TO MAKE WAR IS COSTLY, BUT PEACE IS PRICELESS.

LET US LEAVE THE EVILS FALL ON THEIR SWORDS. IT IS ALL ABOUT THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY.

HAPPY FATHER’S DAY MR. PRESIDENT

10. Dear Mr. President,

Currently the BP Oil Spill is being considered as the worst Oil Spill in the history of our country. As unfortunate as this is the opportunity to help Americans while helping the Ecosystem in the Gulf is right in front of us.

EMPLOY AMERICANS!!! Employ as many as possible to create a force of staff to help clean up the damage caused by the 17+ Million gallons of Oil leaked into our ocean.

I am one of the unfortunate Americans who have lost their job but have taken it as an opportunity to start own business. Many Americans do not have this option nor do they have the ability to do so hence the need for employment.

Please, don’t consider the limited resources you have in the fields required to manage this, soon to be, global issue; the only resources available. Turn our unemployed Americans into a Workforce that can help in this disaster.

I wish you luck and hope that the wisdom needed to resolve this disaster will be given to you.

"He must become greater; I must become less." - John 3:30 We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on.