humbled by seattle’s snowpocalypse and tubing with our kimchee bowl

leochensnow3

leochensnow2

Seriously, when I made my “Farewell Video” last week mocking Seattlites’ winter ineptitude and “the world is ending” local news, I really had no idea what we had in store. I’ve braved two memorable winter storms: one in Princeton, New Jersey where it snowed so much we couldn’t open our front door and the other being a Chicago wind/snowstorm that was so cold that it made me cry…literally.

This wasn’t the worst I’ve experienced but let me just say that I’ve been humbled by Seattle’s Snowpocalypse. I’m not making any more sarcastic videos for a while. And I think I can speak for the entire city and while I’m at it, for the entire Western Washington that this has been humbling.

Some humbling stuff:

1. We had to cancel church because of weather. This is the first time in the 17 years of doing ministry and while I had a very sucky feeling after making this decision with our church’s leadership, it was the right decision to make.
  2. I went for a short drive couple days ago to purchase some food before the “pending doom and gloom wind storm” [which never really came to Seattle] and I had one of my nightmares nearly come true. I stopped at a pretty slick icy patch for a stoplight and was waiting for the main street cars to pass to make a turn. But as I looked at the rear-view mirrow, I could see this car attempting to stop but was sliding towards me in my rear-view mirror. I didn’t have much room but managed to inch forward enough for the car to eventually stop. Scary.
  3. Check out these pics from the MyBallard Blog. The first is obviously scary and the second is downright funny as a dude is trying to dig himself out with a SPATULA.  You can check out Leo Chen’s blog for some amazing pics of Seattle draped with the snow.  The above two are my favorites from his blog.

car_wall2

car_spatula

It’s been a little tough not being able to get around and such but our family is making the most of it by enjoying the snow.  It could be another 12 years before we get something like this in the city.  We converted our driveway into our private tubing area.  We found out that the best mode of tubing is our big KimChee Making Bowl.  Koreans rule…

Filed under: family, travel, , , ,

1. Tyler says:

sledding with ice and snow is the best!

2. Randall says:

My roommates Joe and David went skiing down at Gasworks Park on Saturday (or was it Sunday) night…at 1am.

3. […] saw this picture from Eugene’s blog. I think Seattle is the best city in America. I love it; mountains, water, greenery, multicultural […]

4. Hi, Eugene, and Merry Christmas! That kimchee bowl has magical powers. Enjoy the snow, or endure it, and may God bless you richly in the New Year. Oh, and Koreans do rule. My favorite Korean (my hubby) is very ill. Could you say a prayer for Jeremy? Thanks.

5. pjchris says:

PE,
    I was just thinking that you’re little video was scarily prophetic…umm, could you do one about it being so terribly warm, next :)? You know it’s bad when my 7 year old decided that snow above his boots was “too much snow” (we have 9 inches here in Shoreline). Nonetheless, got to get the sledding and tubing in while we can.

Stay warm!

6. Samuel says:

Funny because I wanted to use my kimchee bowl, but my wife wouldn’t let me…uh, I mean I couldn’t find it! My son and I used a plastic lid instead as a snowboard-type thing.

Peace my brotha’!

P.S. My wife said that I can use it next time, now that she’s seen the evidence–thanks for your help!

7. Jim Chen says:

I need to get me a kimchee bowl!

8. gar says:

^what Jim said. Though I might think twice about video taping it while someone’s sliding into it… that thing looked like it was approaching at deadly speed!

9. 500conversations says:

oh my goodness eugene.. I’m down in the Portland area. but today was the first time I left my house since Saturday; a co-worker gave me a ride to work. and on the way home, what is usually 5 minutes took 30 minutes!

today I got word that my church’s Christmas eve services are all canceled. We have 4 sites and were planning on around 15 services; this is the service where everyone prays about inviting someone, since it’s the service most people would be willing to go to. It really broke my heart to think of how many people were unknowingly being prepared to enter into our church.

I’ve not been to church in a week and a half – it seems so strange that it’s almost Christmas and nobody has been talking about Jesus. I guess it’s up to me to start 🙂

10. eugenecho says:

@elena: merry christmas to you and your husband. lifted a prayer for him today.

@gar: i have to admit i added some hollywood production to it.

@500 conversations: jesus. it’s all about jesus.

11. oliver says:

ha! for kicks, try calling a local Fred Meyer, Home Depot, Lowes or Ace to find a snowshovel…I’ll paypal someone a dollar if you can find one before the end of the week. 🙂

12. melissa says:

That looks SUPER fun! I want a go in the kim chee bowl too!! 🙂

Happy Christmas and safe travels, Cho family.

13. Debbie@NJ says:

Thank you for making my day. It had been a tough day at work and rough traffic coming home. Reading your blog and watching all these lovely and funny photo really lifted my spirit up. I loved the Kim Chee Bowl and I couldn’t stop laughing. We have 8 inches of snow in Northern NJ this past Sunday and we had to cancel our Sunday worship too.

14. […] So well, it’s been a bit of a break since last I’ve blogged.  In the mean time, I’ve victoriously survived the Seattle “snow-pocalypse”! […]

It. Still. Hurts.
#TamirRice Incredible news: @onedayswages is projecting to have our most impactful year as we grant out $1.3 million dollars! Thank you so much for your prayers and support...please read on to learn how you can join in our work.

As you gather with family, friends, and loved ones for Thanksgiving and the holidays, I wanted to share an opportunity. Often times, when I speak to people about the privilege of generosity, I remind them, "You don't have to but you get to." It's so true.

My wife and I (and our three kids) started ODW in 2009. We felt the Holy Spirit convicting us to give up our year's salary. It wasn't an easy thing to say "Yes" or "Amen" to but we made the decision to obey. As a result, it took us about three years to save, simplify, and sell off things we didn't need.

It's been an incredible journey as we've learned so much about the heart of God and God's love for the hurting and vulnerable around the world - particularly those living in extreme poverty. ODW is a small, scrappy, grassroots organization (with just 3 full-time employees) but since our launch, we've raised nearly $6 million dollars to help those living in extreme poverty: clean water and sanitation, education, maternal health, human trafficking, refugee crisis, hunger, and the list goes on and on.

So, here's my humble ask: As we do this work, would you consider making a pledge to support our work...so that we can keep doing this work with integrity and excellence?
You can make a one time gift or make monthly pledge of just $25 (or more). Thanks so much for considering this: http://onedayswages.org/give (link in bio, too) Don't just count your blessings. Bless others with your blessings. Here, there, everywhere. Be a blessing for this blesses our Father in Heaven and builds the Kingdom of God.

#ReThinkRegugees #WeWelcomeRefugees
@onedayswages Grateful. Still reflecting on the letters that I've received from classmates and students that have come before me and after me. Never imagined all that God would have in store for me. Lots of humbling things but in the midst of them, there were literally thousands upon thousands of daily decisions and choices to be faithful. That's what matters. Seen or unseen. Noticed or unnoticed. You do your best and sometimes you stumble and fumble along but nevertheless, seeking to be faithful.

Also, you know you're getting old when your school honors you with a Distinguished Alumni Award. Lol. 47 is the new 27. Or something like that. Here's to the next 47. In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.