seattle snowpocalypse – end of the world

I love Seattle.  Many things to love:  coffee, music, quasi-diversity if you look hard enough, the topography, ocean, the rain, teriyaki restaurants to rival Starbucks stores, etc.  But it doesn’t snow very often and so when it does, people go crazy.  Schools were delayed two hours earlier this week because of possible icy conditions.  Yesterday, school was shut down because of a pending snowstorm – which never came.  But alas, we get our “snowstorm” today that folks are jokingly calling the Seattle Snowpocalypse.

Seriously, it’s not that big of a deal but when you’re not use to it, local news stations cover it for hours as if it’s the end of the world.  But just case it is the end of Seattle as we know it, here’s my farewell address to everyone.  God bless you.  I hope to see you at the other side. 🙂

Questions:

1. If you’re from around here, what’d you do today?
  2. For others, how’s the weather in your neck of the woods?

p1000168

p1000209

Filed under: seattle, travel, ,

1. Pat says:

I’m holed up in North Bend waiting for the End to come.

(As long as my power and internet stay on, I don’t mind it…)

2. leochen says:

ha ha! who’s the heavy breathing videographer?? 🙂

3. DanW says:

We got all the snow earlier in the week. Clara and I made a snowman yesterday. This morning I walked to work, through the snow-shrouded woods. I don’t understand how people get so worked up about this; it’s like a free trip to Disneyland.

At the moment, it’s still falling hard on the Peninsula.

4. Christine says:

That is hilarious. I love that you can see all two inches of snow in the background.

5. minna says:

haha … i laughed so hard because i do think it is so nutty that something so beautiful as snow could cause such chaos! (easy to say coming from me, huh?!)
    walks around green lake have been extra pretty! if you’re nearby, you should do it!
    i’ll be honest though, today, i’m staying indoors and finishing up the last dozen of my christmas cards …
    seattle, love the snow and it will love you!

6. Su says:

Hilariously funny. Well done.

7. Lars says:

In Denmark the weather is gray with no snow at all, so – no white Christmas this year I guess 🙂

8. Pat says:

Wait… are the coffee shops closed too? that’s crucial information!

9. pjchris says:

PE-
    I love the sounds affects! 🙂

It does always strike me as a little weird, since from the age of 10 I lived in learned MT and learned to drive their in the winter (believe it or not, we did have a day when it was -40F with wind chill-the same day the train exploded…true story. You can read the NTSB report here: http://www.ntsb.gov/recs/letters/1989/R89_78_79.pdf). And we only shut down school one time that I can remember for weather.

However, I actually prefer it this way. I don’t feel guilty about staying home, making snowmen, peanut butter bird feeders and cookies and watching Muppet Show re-runs with my boys 🙂

10. Kim says:

In Kirkland we have about 5 inches and I have to go out every hour to take my new Puppy to do her thing to make sure she does not do that thing she does in the house! Just an FYI – if animals have that sense of doom that is to warn us of any upcoming natural disaster – she does not show any symptoms whatsoever…other than recklessly bull dozing through the white stuff. Oh – well I guess if this is THE end – it would not exactly be a ‘natural’ disaster now would it? Or…would it?

11. Michael Muto says:

Ha! I’m in Wisconsin. Got 5″ yesterday, we’re expecting another 10-12″ overnight and another 4-5″ on Sunday and the temperate won’t get above 25 degrees!

Michael

12. pam says:

You only have two inches – we have at least 6 maybe even 7 inches in West Seattle. The West Seattle bridge was closed earlier today too so we are essentially trapped – life could be worse.

Of course this is a typical snow for Maryland and it’s only flurries compared to where we lived in Western PA so quite frankly I’m not ready to throw in the towel yet.

13. Caleb says:

Snowpocalypse… uhuh. Sure…

*grins and shakes head* I can’t imagine what it would be like to live somewhere where people actually get visibly concerned about snowfall. I’ve lived in Nebraska my whole life (and before you ask, yes we do have modern amenities like movie theaters and electricity) and it takes nearly 9 inches of snow before any of the schools shut down. In fact, right now, we’ve got about two inches sitting out on the front lawn and a bunch more on the way this evening. Gotta love the Midwest. However, to be fair, if at all possible I want to move to the Seattle area after I graduate from college. Hey, if I do move, I’ll know of a church I can attend…

So yeah, Merry Christmas from Nebraska.

14. gar says:

I was up all last night preparing a feast of food for my kiddos, since they earned a class celebration and wanted a “food party”.

Now, I’m just cleaning up the house, doing laundry, and watching movies. What an anti-climatic end to school this year, haha.

15. chenster22 says:

people are disappearing around me. am i being left behind?

16. eugenecho says:

@pjchris: that wasn’t sound effects. that was the eldest daughter playing videographer. she got kinda cold when that that wind picked up. however, that wind action was special effects i had to induce for effect for the video. this wasn’t a huge budget short film but i still had enough to do that.

17. eugenecho says:

@gar: forgot to ask. i’m guessing that it’s safe to assume that school’s cancelled tomorrow, right?

18. Tom says:

60 and sunny last Saturday here in Denver. 19 below (yes, I said’ below’) very early Monday morning. Do the math–79 degree swing in about 36 hours. Even for Denver, that’s nuts. Normally in the mid 40’s or 50 and sunny this time of year. Crazy stuff.

19. Liz says:

There’s several inches in the Mill Creek/Snohomish area… and we’ve had school canceled for the past two days, and with school already canceled tomorrow, Christmas break started early this year (yes!). Just spent the day holed up in the house catching up on schoolwork.

20. Dan Hauge says:

It has been pretty amusing to watch the ‘wall-to-wall coverage’ of this–I was luckily able to make a couple longer trips during the middle of the day before it froze over. As a Spokanite, watching the coverage in the city tonight, I have to ask: do we really have NO plows here? Not even a couple that we keep underneath City Hall just in case? It was pretty amazing watching people have to walk home from downtown because there wasn’t enough bus service.

21. eugenecho says:

@dan: the snow was actually pretty impressive and legit. but seattle just doesn’t have the infrastructure to clear off the roads. i heard someone mention that seattle actually a good number of plows but it’s shared with a bunch of places all the way up to bellingham. and the rumor is that there’s only like 2 drivers. probably not true but who knows. i have yet to see a plow.

22. Julie says:

Last year this time, I was living north of Boston and shoveling out FEET of snow – and I still had to go to work. This year, we’re living here in Seattle (Magnolia – up the hill from Quest a bit) and I initially thought that people here were crazy for being so terrified of snow. Having work cancelled yesterday under the THREAT of snow was particularly amusing.

However, after venturing out today for no-work-celebratory-Starbucks (“We’re from where it actually snows; we can drive in two inches…”), I understand it a bit better. It’s not the lack of plows that’s the problem – it was hardly deep enough for plows – it’s the lack of salt/sand trucks! Even if it doesn’t snow in the city very much, it still seems that investing in some salt/sand trucks (in a city that still rains and freezes) makes a lot of sense – the city might loose less money buying a truck or two than it does in shutting everything down!

23. Tyler says:

very similar in portland…except it all melted. no school at all this week so far.

24. Chris says:

Gosh, I really hope you’re able to clear a serviceable path through your scary two inches of snow, to forage for sustenance (Blockbuster sells a great big valupak of popcorn, fyi). Now when you said it was 29 degrees, did you mean 29 BELOW? And was that with wind chill?

Eugene, I hope you are able to stay calm and optimistic that the sun will indeed come out again (perhaps not tomorrow, but sometime), and that in a few short months, the snow will melt and your sidewalks will once again be visible.

Be brave, my brother.

25. Jenny says:

Thank you for the last words, in case we don’t survive the winter of 2008.

In Lynden we are on the front line taking the nor’east wind for the rest of you. 29 degrees? Today the windchill had it at 7 degrees here. And I’m pretty sure that some of that snow blew there from my house.

Does anyone else have nervous relatives calling from far away places because they see the terrible news reports of the snowpocolypse?

26. Randall says:

Questions:
    If you’re from around here, what’d you do today?

27. chad m says:

we’re about an hour north of Seattle and it’s snowed starting Saturday and is continuing today. we’re on day three of cancelled school, so this youth pastor doesn’t know what to do…being from the midwest, it seems absolutely crazy to cancel everything because of snow. weird feeling.

28. DB says:

I can’t believe I’m missing all the fun in Washington! I live in Bothell but I’m in East Jerusalem/The West Bank for the year. It’s sunny and 70 right now. Feels more like summer than December. Very strange to just hear about the ‘big snow’ on the news and not be there to experience it with everyone.

My parents in Stanwood had 12 inches and more coming last I heard yesterday.

29. korea says:

It is cold, but no snow in Seoul.

If you could just pray for Christmas Day, we will be out on the streets in Seoul all day, sharing Christ with people.

30. Matthew says:

Yep – up where I am, they’ve closed all the schools in anticipation of the eight-inch snowstorm we’re supposed to be getting later today. It’s going to be fun weather.

Stay strong, everybody, and God keep you safe.

Matthew

31. jason says:

Come to Vermont: Where Snow Happens

32. Dan says:

In Edmonton today it’s -26 C which is -14.6 F. And it’s been snowing pretty much daily through Dec.
    Right about now global warming doesn’t seem like a bad idea.

33. Dadofiandi says:

Weather here in Phoenix is in the fiftys. But when it rains here esp in the summer its the top news story and there are various reporters all over the city talking about the rain etc.

Missing the snow, missing being in Wisconsin right now, although, golfing in Jan does have its perks.

34. Chris Scott says:

Awww, its nice to be a Californian. There is snow on some of the hills surrounding us, but for the most part the weather here in San Francisco is normal, a little rainy and foggy but definitely more comfortable than a snowpacolypse. Living in CA in December has its options, I can head to the mountains for some snowboarding and hiking, or I can head to the beach and hit up some waves. Or I can do both!

35. benjamin says:

we love you too, brother.

ah, it’s been good a run for seattle, hasn’t it? well, maybe something even better will spring forth from this tundra once the snow has finally melted.

seattle 2.0?

36. Gillian says:

Here in Maine (and yes, we too have moving pictures and indoor plumbing!) it’s a balmy 16 degrees. We’re bracing for the storm which is expected to start in a couple of hours. On the coast where I live, the snow amounts will be small – between 5 and 8 inches. Some folks are still trying to recover from the ice storm of last weekend. Our power was out for only 3 days. Some further inland are still without power. Thank goodness for wood stoves.

37. […] Oh…and if you’re in the mood, check out this little video put together by my pastor relating to the Seattle Snopocalypse of 2008. […]

38. m@ says:

After having moved from the midwest to Seattle in my trusty Subaru (the ‘wu, as we affectionately called it), I was one to silently mock the Seattlites that bristled at the mere thought of snow.

One storm and a near-miss with a stop sign later, I put my foot in my mouth. Snow in Seattle is a death trap.

39. Tim says:

Hey we are out here in CT dealing with a snowstorm of our own, been blasted by 2 winter storms in 2 days, pretty exciting. Looks like Seattle is dealing with much of the same, watching the Seahawks game I can confirm this. I got total coverage of the CT snowstorms, check me out at http://www.weatherinformant.com

40. […] As you know, Quest Church canceled our church services in light of the current snow storm [aka Snowpocalypse].  This is the first time in the 17 years of ministry that I’ve cancelled a Sunday gathering […]

41. Christie says:

Yes, I’m torn between loving the winter wonderful and wishing I could get out and about

42. Terri says:

Well, my friends up in Seattle, I do miss you, and I hope you are safe and warm. But, am I glad I moved back to Arizona. For all of you who were not my true friends, enjoy your snow…hahaha

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 1 day ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 3 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 3 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 3 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 4 days ago
  • This is what we love to do. Empowering local, indigenous leaders to serve their own communities. Thanks for your su… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 5 days ago