the greatest song and ensemble?

Do you remember the song, “Do They Know It’s Christmas” by Band Aid? When this song came out in 1984, it instantly became one of my favorites.  I couldn’t stop listening to it.  It was on my Sony Walkman 24-7.

Of course, there was the U.S. version via We Are the World a year later but this original Band Aid ensemble and song is my favorite.  Seeing this again reminds me how difficult it is to have ‘staying power’ as musicians and artists.  It’s so easy to flame out after several years.  Amongst the featured musicians, Bono [U2], Sting, and Paul McCartney seem to be the only artists that still have thriving careers.

Who was your favorite artist from the original Band Aid ensemble?  Mine was…Paul Young because of his song, Everytime You Go Away.  He’s not that much of a dancer than Rick Astley.

And here’s proof that sequels and remakes never really work out for the better:

Filed under: entertainment, , , , ,

1. Sue says:

Simon Le Bon from Duran Duran was my favorite back in the ’80s and in the Band Aid.

2. Dadofiandi says:

I just posted this to my ilike on FB a couple of weeks ago. I have to go with Paul Young as well, I won tickets to see him in concert when I was a kid. Very good song overall with no over production.

3. charlottesal says:

How could anyone possibly pick a favorite with huge talents like that??? I’m still hot for Bono to this day and he’s way talented, As much as people like to make fun of George Michael, he is incredibly talented and has an amazing voice. Sting..nothing needs to be said there, Phil Collins…same, Boy George~another great talent and hey isn’t that Brian Ferry? He’s great too. Can’t just pick one. Sorry

I have to say that this video really took me back to the 80s with all the hair and clothes. The 80s were so totally awesome.

4. charlottesal says:

In the second one, I didn’t even know who those people were. I did spot Paul McCartney who trumps all! Of course there’s Bono, nuff said.

5. Chuck says:

A bit off topic- in high school, I was most enthusiastic about “Hear N Aid” and their song “Stars”. Heavy Metal that cares.

For your Holiday amusement:

6. Randall says:

I liked Sting back in that time. And I think it’s funny that the word “sting” is in the line that he sings. Those Brits are so cheeky. Oh and I like the women from Banarama even though they didn’t get a solo.

Hats off to Bob Geldof.

On a side note, I would’ve hated to be the engineer at either of those recording sessions. Can you imagine how much ego-wrangling they had to do? And in the newer version, did anyone notice that, in the big chorus at the end, everyone had headphones on? I wonder if they all had custom mixes?

7. danw says:

Two questions pop to mind.

1. Why is it that all the 80s stars seem so overly-emotive, wrenching every pit of pathos they can from every single line, while in the modern version all the ‘stars’ seem completely bored? It’s like they didn’t get their coffee until 1/2-way into the shoot.

2. At a deeper level, I’ve always wondered how many of these ‘artists’ continued to work for hope and justice in the world (a la Bono), and how many just participated in this so they could feel good about themselves while carrying on with their extravagant lifestyles. Truthfully, I have a hard time listening to this song, just because it smacks of the modern tendency to give the Salvation Army your spare change after spending $800 at Target, and then thinking you’re such a good person and all for making a difference in the world. It’s the difference between truly living a life that seeks to bring change (again, like Bono), and jumping into the “make-a-difference” movement for a five-minute photo op.

8. RH says:

@danw

Not to nitpick, but as the brother and son of three devoted Salvation Army Christmas bell ringers, I can tell you that you wouldn’t be able to give your spare change to the SA kettles outside of Target as the company doesn’t allow bell ringers in front of their store. But your point remains 🙂

9. Mary says:

Wow. I can’t really come up with a coherent comment. I’m still too blown away by George Michael’s 80’s hair.

10. sammm1777 says:

I GOT GOOSE BUMPS ALL OVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!! Every time I hear that song, it’s great, even after all these years, it still has POWER! WOW!! Thanks for putting this up, I LOVE IT!
    Spandau Ballet, Paul Young, Duran Duran, Bono, sting, boy george, george micheal and on and on.

They need to do another one today and give back like they did then. Bob Geldoff ROCKS!!

11. sammm1777 says:

Oh yeah and I like the original better! I barely recognized the ‘new’ people. I think i recognized like 5 of them. Must have been an english version??

"He must become greater; I must become less." - John 3:30 We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on.