the greatest song and ensemble?

Do you remember the song, “Do They Know It’s Christmas” by Band Aid? When this song came out in 1984, it instantly became one of my favorites.  I couldn’t stop listening to it.  It was on my Sony Walkman 24-7.

Of course, there was the U.S. version via We Are the World a year later but this original Band Aid ensemble and song is my favorite.  Seeing this again reminds me how difficult it is to have ‘staying power’ as musicians and artists.  It’s so easy to flame out after several years.  Amongst the featured musicians, Bono [U2], Sting, and Paul McCartney seem to be the only artists that still have thriving careers.

Who was your favorite artist from the original Band Aid ensemble?  Mine was…Paul Young because of his song, Everytime You Go Away.  He’s not that much of a dancer than Rick Astley.

And here’s proof that sequels and remakes never really work out for the better:

Filed under: entertainment, , , , ,

1. Sue says:

Simon Le Bon from Duran Duran was my favorite back in the ’80s and in the Band Aid.

2. Dadofiandi says:

I just posted this to my ilike on FB a couple of weeks ago. I have to go with Paul Young as well, I won tickets to see him in concert when I was a kid. Very good song overall with no over production.

3. charlottesal says:

How could anyone possibly pick a favorite with huge talents like that??? I’m still hot for Bono to this day and he’s way talented, As much as people like to make fun of George Michael, he is incredibly talented and has an amazing voice. Sting..nothing needs to be said there, Phil Collins…same, Boy George~another great talent and hey isn’t that Brian Ferry? He’s great too. Can’t just pick one. Sorry

I have to say that this video really took me back to the 80s with all the hair and clothes. The 80s were so totally awesome.

4. charlottesal says:

In the second one, I didn’t even know who those people were. I did spot Paul McCartney who trumps all! Of course there’s Bono, nuff said.

5. Chuck says:

A bit off topic- in high school, I was most enthusiastic about “Hear N Aid” and their song “Stars”. Heavy Metal that cares.

For your Holiday amusement:

6. Randall says:

I liked Sting back in that time. And I think it’s funny that the word “sting” is in the line that he sings. Those Brits are so cheeky. Oh and I like the women from Banarama even though they didn’t get a solo.

Hats off to Bob Geldof.

On a side note, I would’ve hated to be the engineer at either of those recording sessions. Can you imagine how much ego-wrangling they had to do? And in the newer version, did anyone notice that, in the big chorus at the end, everyone had headphones on? I wonder if they all had custom mixes?

7. danw says:

Two questions pop to mind.

1. Why is it that all the 80s stars seem so overly-emotive, wrenching every pit of pathos they can from every single line, while in the modern version all the ‘stars’ seem completely bored? It’s like they didn’t get their coffee until 1/2-way into the shoot.

2. At a deeper level, I’ve always wondered how many of these ‘artists’ continued to work for hope and justice in the world (a la Bono), and how many just participated in this so they could feel good about themselves while carrying on with their extravagant lifestyles. Truthfully, I have a hard time listening to this song, just because it smacks of the modern tendency to give the Salvation Army your spare change after spending $800 at Target, and then thinking you’re such a good person and all for making a difference in the world. It’s the difference between truly living a life that seeks to bring change (again, like Bono), and jumping into the “make-a-difference” movement for a five-minute photo op.

8. RH says:

@danw

Not to nitpick, but as the brother and son of three devoted Salvation Army Christmas bell ringers, I can tell you that you wouldn’t be able to give your spare change to the SA kettles outside of Target as the company doesn’t allow bell ringers in front of their store. But your point remains 🙂

9. Mary says:

Wow. I can’t really come up with a coherent comment. I’m still too blown away by George Michael’s 80’s hair.

10. sammm1777 says:

I GOT GOOSE BUMPS ALL OVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!! Every time I hear that song, it’s great, even after all these years, it still has POWER! WOW!! Thanks for putting this up, I LOVE IT!
    Spandau Ballet, Paul Young, Duran Duran, Bono, sting, boy george, george micheal and on and on.

They need to do another one today and give back like they did then. Bob Geldoff ROCKS!!

11. sammm1777 says:

Oh yeah and I like the original better! I barely recognized the ‘new’ people. I think i recognized like 5 of them. Must have been an english version??

In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.
Pray and choose wisely.
Then invest deeply. May our compassion not just be limited to the West or to those that look like us. Lifting up the people of Iraq, Iran, and Kurdistan in prayer after the 7.3 earthquake - including the many new friends I met on a recent trip to Iraq.

The death toll rises to over 400 and over 7,000 injured in multiple cities and hundreds of villages along the Western border with Iraq.

Lord, in your mercy... We are reminded again and again...that we are Resurrection People living in a Dark Friday world.

It's been a tough, emotional, and painful week - especially as we lament the horrible tragedy of the church shootings at Sutherland Springs. In the midst of this lament, I've been carried by the hope, beauty, and promise of our baptisms last Sunday and the raw and honest testimonies of God's mercy, love, and grace.

Indeed, God is not yet done. May we take heart for Christ has overcome the world. "Without genuine relationships with the poor, we rob them of their dignity and they become mere projects. And God did not intend for anyone to become our projects." Grateful this quote from my book, Overrated, is resonating with so many folks - individuals and  NGOs. / design by @preemptivelove .
May we keep working