the greatest song and ensemble?

Do you remember the song, “Do They Know It’s Christmas” by Band Aid? When this song came out in 1984, it instantly became one of my favorites.  I couldn’t stop listening to it.  It was on my Sony Walkman 24-7.

Of course, there was the U.S. version via We Are the World a year later but this original Band Aid ensemble and song is my favorite.  Seeing this again reminds me how difficult it is to have ‘staying power’ as musicians and artists.  It’s so easy to flame out after several years.  Amongst the featured musicians, Bono [U2], Sting, and Paul McCartney seem to be the only artists that still have thriving careers.

Who was your favorite artist from the original Band Aid ensemble?  Mine was…Paul Young because of his song, Everytime You Go Away.  He’s not that much of a dancer than Rick Astley.

And here’s proof that sequels and remakes never really work out for the better:

Filed under: entertainment, , , , ,

1. Sue says:

Simon Le Bon from Duran Duran was my favorite back in the ’80s and in the Band Aid.

2. Dadofiandi says:

I just posted this to my ilike on FB a couple of weeks ago. I have to go with Paul Young as well, I won tickets to see him in concert when I was a kid. Very good song overall with no over production.

3. charlottesal says:

How could anyone possibly pick a favorite with huge talents like that??? I’m still hot for Bono to this day and he’s way talented, As much as people like to make fun of George Michael, he is incredibly talented and has an amazing voice. Sting..nothing needs to be said there, Phil Collins…same, Boy George~another great talent and hey isn’t that Brian Ferry? He’s great too. Can’t just pick one. Sorry

I have to say that this video really took me back to the 80s with all the hair and clothes. The 80s were so totally awesome.

4. charlottesal says:

In the second one, I didn’t even know who those people were. I did spot Paul McCartney who trumps all! Of course there’s Bono, nuff said.

5. Chuck says:

A bit off topic- in high school, I was most enthusiastic about “Hear N Aid” and their song “Stars”. Heavy Metal that cares.

For your Holiday amusement:

6. Randall says:

I liked Sting back in that time. And I think it’s funny that the word “sting” is in the line that he sings. Those Brits are so cheeky. Oh and I like the women from Banarama even though they didn’t get a solo.

Hats off to Bob Geldof.

On a side note, I would’ve hated to be the engineer at either of those recording sessions. Can you imagine how much ego-wrangling they had to do? And in the newer version, did anyone notice that, in the big chorus at the end, everyone had headphones on? I wonder if they all had custom mixes?

7. danw says:

Two questions pop to mind.

1. Why is it that all the 80s stars seem so overly-emotive, wrenching every pit of pathos they can from every single line, while in the modern version all the ‘stars’ seem completely bored? It’s like they didn’t get their coffee until 1/2-way into the shoot.

2. At a deeper level, I’ve always wondered how many of these ‘artists’ continued to work for hope and justice in the world (a la Bono), and how many just participated in this so they could feel good about themselves while carrying on with their extravagant lifestyles. Truthfully, I have a hard time listening to this song, just because it smacks of the modern tendency to give the Salvation Army your spare change after spending $800 at Target, and then thinking you’re such a good person and all for making a difference in the world. It’s the difference between truly living a life that seeks to bring change (again, like Bono), and jumping into the “make-a-difference” movement for a five-minute photo op.

8. RH says:

@danw

Not to nitpick, but as the brother and son of three devoted Salvation Army Christmas bell ringers, I can tell you that you wouldn’t be able to give your spare change to the SA kettles outside of Target as the company doesn’t allow bell ringers in front of their store. But your point remains 🙂

9. Mary says:

Wow. I can’t really come up with a coherent comment. I’m still too blown away by George Michael’s 80’s hair.

10. sammm1777 says:

I GOT GOOSE BUMPS ALL OVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!! Every time I hear that song, it’s great, even after all these years, it still has POWER! WOW!! Thanks for putting this up, I LOVE IT!
    Spandau Ballet, Paul Young, Duran Duran, Bono, sting, boy george, george micheal and on and on.

They need to do another one today and give back like they did then. Bob Geldoff ROCKS!!

11. sammm1777 says:

Oh yeah and I like the original better! I barely recognized the ‘new’ people. I think i recognized like 5 of them. Must have been an english version??

Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. Thanks for your prayers.
I have numerous stories to share but for now, the following came up in every conversation with Iraqi/Syrian refugees:

1 Have tea with us. Or coffee. Or juice. Or something with lots of sugar in it. Or better yet, all of the above.
2 We want peace. We want security.
3 We hate ISIS.
4 We just want to go home.
5 Please don't forget us.

Please don't forget them... Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest

• Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 2 days ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 2 days ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 2 days ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 5 days ago
  • Father, bless these Iraqi and Syrian refugee children that have already endured so much. As we pray, teach us how t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 6 days ago
  • Pray for Iraq. Pray for persecuted Church, minority groups (Yezidis) and Muslims alike who are suffering under ISIS: instagram.com/p/BZF2j6Ngrna/ || 6 days ago