the greatest song and ensemble?

Do you remember the song, “Do They Know It’s Christmas” by Band Aid? When this song came out in 1984, it instantly became one of my favorites.  I couldn’t stop listening to it.  It was on my Sony Walkman 24-7.

Of course, there was the U.S. version via We Are the World a year later but this original Band Aid ensemble and song is my favorite.  Seeing this again reminds me how difficult it is to have ‘staying power’ as musicians and artists.  It’s so easy to flame out after several years.  Amongst the featured musicians, Bono [U2], Sting, and Paul McCartney seem to be the only artists that still have thriving careers.

Who was your favorite artist from the original Band Aid ensemble?  Mine was…Paul Young because of his song, Everytime You Go Away.  He’s not that much of a dancer than Rick Astley.

And here’s proof that sequels and remakes never really work out for the better:

Filed under: entertainment, , , , ,

1. Sue says:

Simon Le Bon from Duran Duran was my favorite back in the ’80s and in the Band Aid.

2. Dadofiandi says:

I just posted this to my ilike on FB a couple of weeks ago. I have to go with Paul Young as well, I won tickets to see him in concert when I was a kid. Very good song overall with no over production.

3. charlottesal says:

How could anyone possibly pick a favorite with huge talents like that??? I’m still hot for Bono to this day and he’s way talented, As much as people like to make fun of George Michael, he is incredibly talented and has an amazing voice. Sting..nothing needs to be said there, Phil Collins…same, Boy George~another great talent and hey isn’t that Brian Ferry? He’s great too. Can’t just pick one. Sorry

I have to say that this video really took me back to the 80s with all the hair and clothes. The 80s were so totally awesome.

4. charlottesal says:

In the second one, I didn’t even know who those people were. I did spot Paul McCartney who trumps all! Of course there’s Bono, nuff said.

5. Chuck says:

A bit off topic- in high school, I was most enthusiastic about “Hear N Aid” and their song “Stars”. Heavy Metal that cares.

For your Holiday amusement:

6. Randall says:

I liked Sting back in that time. And I think it’s funny that the word “sting” is in the line that he sings. Those Brits are so cheeky. Oh and I like the women from Banarama even though they didn’t get a solo.

Hats off to Bob Geldof.

On a side note, I would’ve hated to be the engineer at either of those recording sessions. Can you imagine how much ego-wrangling they had to do? And in the newer version, did anyone notice that, in the big chorus at the end, everyone had headphones on? I wonder if they all had custom mixes?

7. danw says:

Two questions pop to mind.

1. Why is it that all the 80s stars seem so overly-emotive, wrenching every pit of pathos they can from every single line, while in the modern version all the ‘stars’ seem completely bored? It’s like they didn’t get their coffee until 1/2-way into the shoot.

2. At a deeper level, I’ve always wondered how many of these ‘artists’ continued to work for hope and justice in the world (a la Bono), and how many just participated in this so they could feel good about themselves while carrying on with their extravagant lifestyles. Truthfully, I have a hard time listening to this song, just because it smacks of the modern tendency to give the Salvation Army your spare change after spending $800 at Target, and then thinking you’re such a good person and all for making a difference in the world. It’s the difference between truly living a life that seeks to bring change (again, like Bono), and jumping into the “make-a-difference” movement for a five-minute photo op.

8. RH says:

@danw

Not to nitpick, but as the brother and son of three devoted Salvation Army Christmas bell ringers, I can tell you that you wouldn’t be able to give your spare change to the SA kettles outside of Target as the company doesn’t allow bell ringers in front of their store. But your point remains🙂

9. Mary says:

Wow. I can’t really come up with a coherent comment. I’m still too blown away by George Michael’s 80’s hair.

10. sammm1777 says:

I GOT GOOSE BUMPS ALL OVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!! Every time I hear that song, it’s great, even after all these years, it still has POWER! WOW!! Thanks for putting this up, I LOVE IT!
    Spandau Ballet, Paul Young, Duran Duran, Bono, sting, boy george, george micheal and on and on.

They need to do another one today and give back like they did then. Bob Geldoff ROCKS!!

11. sammm1777 says:

Oh yeah and I like the original better! I barely recognized the ‘new’ people. I think i recognized like 5 of them. Must have been an english version??

Today, Minhee and I dropped off our eldest child at her college. We have been thinking and praying about this day for many years. On some days, we hoped it would never come. On other days, we couldn't wait for it to come. On some days, we prayed for time to stop and other days, we prayed with anticipation.

A flood of thoughts rushed my mind.

Is she ready?
Have we done enough?
Have we taught her enough?
What if this? What if that?

And I came home.
And I wept.
Forget my street cred.
I miss her. I love her.
She will always be my little baby.

Happy life. - Eugenius 3:16

I still remember that time, many years ago, when Minhee was pregnant with our first child. She had left her family and friends in Korea just two years before. Her morning sickness was horrible and when she finally had an appetite, she craved her favorite Korean food from certain restaurants in her neighborhood in Seoul, Korea. I had no way of getting that food from those restaurants so I actually said, "How about a Whopper? Big Mac?" Sorry honey. Eat away. You deserve it. I don't care if it sounds mushy but sunsets are one of my love languages. Seoul, Korea was amazing but WOW...what a breathtaking welcome back sunset by Seattle. Not ready to let go of summer. Seattle. 7:00pm. Desperately holding on to summer. #goldengardenpark #nofilter Happy Birthday, Minhee! I'm so grateful for you. You radiate faith, hope, and love.  No...you don't complete me. That would be silly and simply humanly impossible but you keep pointing me and our family to Christ who informs and transforms our lives, marriage, family, and ministry. Thanks for being so faithful. I love you so much. (* And what a gift to be in Korea together.)