your “past” year resolution?

Many of us make resolutions every year.  But before we get into our new resolutions for 2009 next month, how about we talk about how we’re doing with this past year’s resolution.   This is an easy question so I’m hoping that many of the regulars, visitors, and blog lurkers and stalkers will contribute.

Question: What was your past year resolution?  And, how’s it going?  [* Be honest.  Don’t forget.  You are commenting on a minister’s blog.]

Me and my past year resolution?  Not well.

My resolution was to exercise regularly and lose some weight.  I’ve been hovering around 160 this past year.  I don’t want to get fixated on weight but I really am not eating healthy, sleeping healthy, and not exercising.  I still would like to get down to 145 but would be content just exercising regularly.

My summer sabbatical actually went well. I managed to exercise 4-5 days/week but the minute I got back to Seattle and started getting into the swing of a busy schedule complicated by unpredictables things that came up to people I love at our church, my weight ballooned from 150 to 160 in three months.

Why?  Poor eating habits.  And, I have not exercised once since I returned from my three month sabbatical – until couple weeks ago.  I finally took out the basketball and shot for about 10 minutes in the backyard and went for a light jog.   It was downright painful and embarrassing.  Even despite lowering the rim and playing “alone,” I had a hard time dribbling, shooting, and simply…breathing.  The video below doesn’t capture me gasping for air.  Can someone say  “Cardiovascular?”

I’m in the East Coast now to speak at couple venues.  Afterwards, I hit the basketball court for some full court hoops with some current seminary students.  I know it’s hard to believe but there was a time when I was sort of a basketball legend: aka Minister Sinister was what they called me or I kept asking people to call me.  Not many did.  They just referred to me as the “Asian that can jump.”  In seminary [16 years ago], my claim to fame was being the scoring champ of our seminary basketball league one year.  Why do I share this?  Because as guys get older, they have to bring stuff up to make themselves feel better.   After one ruptured achilles, one knee surgery, and being run over by car and nearly dying, I’ve only got stories left.

Dangit! I’m tired of liking the idea of doing stuff rather than doing it.  I really need to start exercising which leads to a preview of my 2009 resolution.  My daughter was playing with our camera and shot the video footage above of me attempting a basketball comeback.  I’m still gasping for air…

Filed under: family, health, ,

1. Sue says:

It was to read more. I had a goal of reading 24 books and well, I’ll be lucky to get through my third book by December.

Do I get a prize for being the first person to confess?

2. sam says:

I totally understand the concept of boasting of past acomplishments, as one gets older. It’s one of the signs of age insecurity. Young people need to show old folks some grace when we become boastful blowhards.
    Love the giggles during the video.

3. katie says:

I kept it simple this year: floss. Not even daily, but a few times a week (baby steps, right?). Things went well for a few months… What is it about January that gives us a sense of immortality (as if flossing is as difficult as kicking a bad habit or turning over a new leaf🙂 Self-control-wise, I’m glad to see 2008 on its way out. If I can maintain even a little shred of moderation and motivation in 2009, I’ll count it a win!

4. janowen says:

mine was to lose weight and i did, but i gained 10 pounds of it back and am struggling to get it off. i too struggle to exercise, especially in the winter. i like to get outside and do stuff. the cold just makes me want to curl with a book in front of the fire…..

5. Dana says:

My resolution was to be courageous. I’ve heard that resolutions are supposed to be concrete, so you can set goals and accomplish them. But whatever. I have made good on that resolution in various ways: self-publishing a poetry book, moving across the country from my parents to live alone and start grad school, conquering some fears, etc. It’s the best resolution I’ve ever made (I don’t make them every year) and the only one I think I really followed through on.

6. Kacie says:

um yeah I was trying to focus on practicing the spiritual disciplines, particularly regular times of Bible study and every couple months a day of silence and solitude. Yeah…. we’re about to hit December and I’ve had ONE day of silence and solitude. However, my times of Bible study have definitely been more consistent then last year.

7. Tyler Savage says:

I too enjoy the giggles during the video!

My resolution was to read 50 books, or about a book a week. I read somewhere last year about a guy reading 100 and I decided to tone that down a little. I fell off the pace somewhere during the summer and with 6 weeks left in the year am still sitting around 32, so I’m projecting I probably won’t make it.

I have been learning a lot though and not just through the specific books I’m reading. I’m learning how to pick books that give me a wide-angle perspective rather than burning out on one topic that I’m passionate about, I’m learning more about realistic reading rhythms, and how to read for specific outcomes i.e. Clinton’s reading models.

8. Jenny says:

1. To complete a specific Bible reading program…there have been some tough times, but I am on track to complete it. Part of it was to read the book of Proverbs 12 times but I stopped after 6 times through. It has certainly helped with self-discipline and of course, learning more about God and His Word.

2. To stay in better touch with parents and in-laws. We live at least 9 hours away from any family so I’ve tried to stay in touch through e-mails and phone calls mostly. I have visited all of them once this year too. Sometimes we get too caught up in our immediate family and the needs of the day so this has been a good resolution that I intend to continue.

3. To exercise more consistently. (Is this the #1 New Year’s Resolution?) While not perfect, I have exercised more consistently this year, like it or not. It is good for my health and my emotions. And a brisk 3 mile walk in the evening is a great time to converse with my husband without distractions. So good for my marriage too.🙂

In the midst of a year that has had more turmoil than I would like, it is good to realize that there have been some successes and consistency in the midst of it all. Thanks for the post, Eugene. Your daughter’s giggles on the video brought a smile.🙂

9. Dan Peterson says:

Eugene,

Minister Sinister’s body double looks just like you, where did you find an Asian guy your build and age that can shoot? I’m clearly impressed.

J/K, obviously. Nice shooting, you’re a stud.

My resolution has actually, against all odds, been coming to fruition. I have been training for the WAMU tower climb for Cystic Fibrosis that takes place this December (http://stairclimb.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=285455&supId=238888588) and it has been going really well. I think the key, for me at least, is to have a definite goal and timeframe that I cannot back out of. A good roommate who won’t let you skip out helps too.

Anyway, that’s my short blurb. Can’t wait to see what ’09 has in store!

10. Allie says:

Oh jeeminy. I don’t remember what my “past” year’s resolution was, so that means I obviously didn’t keep it.😦

Regardless, I’ve decided for next year (2009 already, holy crud) to think in terms of goals, not “resolutions”. Given that I’m in training for the Chicago Marathon, itself a huge chunk of a goal, I need to break things down into manageable chunks, otherwise I become overwhelmed.

And further, at least for me, goals help create accountability, since I have deadlines I have to meet, and have to deal with the disappointment and frustration of not meeting them. I’m with you, Dan Peterson. The accountability (read: kick in the arse) built into specific goals helps me meet them!

11. Joseph Lee says:

PE, your a baller! I’ll try and help you with your new years resolution and play with you, how does that sound?

12. eugenecho says:

@joseph: sounds good.

but after we finish that website!

13. […] to everything 24 – everywhere – for only $8andchange and I need to use it.  145. 145.  145.  And lots of basketball this year.  I’m coming out of […]

14. […] Your ‘past’ year resolution?, Eugene Cho […]

It appears I brought a little Seattle to the NYC. Drizzle fest. 24 hour gathering with a small group of leaders from around the country. Learning. Listening. Asking hard questions. Head exploding. Heart trying to have hope. As I soaked in this breathtaking sunrise this morning above the clouds, I felt compelled to pray for so my places in America and around the world that are experiencing such pain, heartache, injustice, and violence. At times, it feels so overwhelming but in prayer, I was reminded of these words from John 16:33. As we keep striving, working, hoping, preaching, loving, truthtelling, reconciling, repenting, forgiving, dismantling, peacemaking, Kingdom building...may we fix our eyes on Christ: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” - John 16:33 Grateful for a very full weekend of ministry and preaching in Toronto, Canada (GTA). Such a privilege to partner with @worldvisioncan @wvcollective to advocate for the most vulnerable around the world. God is so gracious. A true honor to meet and encourage local pastors, lecture at Tyndale University & Seminary (photo), and preach at Richmond Hills Community Church, Compass Point Bible Church, and New City Church. Thank you, Lord, that you use broken and imperfect people like me to speak of Your love. Today, Minhee and I dropped off our eldest child at her college. We have been thinking and praying about this day for many years. On some days, we hoped it would never come. On other days, we couldn't wait for it to come. On some days, we prayed for time to stop and other days, we prayed with anticipation.

A flood of thoughts rushed my mind.

Is she ready?
Have we done enough?
Have we taught her enough?
What if this? What if that?

And I came home.
And I wept.
Forget my street cred.
I miss her. I love her.
She will always be my little baby.

Happy life. - Eugenius 3:16

I still remember that time, many years ago, when Minhee was pregnant with our first child. She had left her family and friends in Korea just two years before. Her morning sickness was horrible and when she finally had an appetite, she craved her favorite Korean food from certain restaurants in her neighborhood in Seoul, Korea. I had no way of getting that food from those restaurants so I actually said, "How about a Whopper? Big Mac?" Sorry honey. Eat away. You deserve it.

• It appears I brought a little Seattle to the NYC. Drizzle fest. 24 hour gathering with a small… instagram.com/p/BK_409Ohzr1/ || 27 minutes ago
  • Life has its share of pain but don't get down and cynical. Stay engaged. Self-care. Keep learning and growing. Remain hopeful. Be steadfast. || 5 hours ago
  • The Gospel, not social justice, is our identity as believers but the Gospel compels us to love God/love people incl. work 4 the common good. || 2 days ago
  • Folks often ask me, "What is social justice?" "Social justice" are fancier words for "Give a Damn". || 2 days ago
  • RT @EugeneCho: Just met Edna, a sister-in-Christ. She's 90 years old. She met Jesus when she was 85. You're never too young or too old to f… || 2 days ago
  • Thank you @fullerfyi @KPowellFYI for this important resource about listening, engaging, and discipling young people: churchesgrowingyoung.com || 2 days ago