your “past” year resolution?

Many of us make resolutions every year.  But before we get into our new resolutions for 2009 next month, how about we talk about how we’re doing with this past year’s resolution.   This is an easy question so I’m hoping that many of the regulars, visitors, and blog lurkers and stalkers will contribute.

Question: What was your past year resolution?  And, how’s it going?  [* Be honest.  Don’t forget.  You are commenting on a minister’s blog.]

Me and my past year resolution?  Not well.

My resolution was to exercise regularly and lose some weight.  I’ve been hovering around 160 this past year.  I don’t want to get fixated on weight but I really am not eating healthy, sleeping healthy, and not exercising.  I still would like to get down to 145 but would be content just exercising regularly.

My summer sabbatical actually went well. I managed to exercise 4-5 days/week but the minute I got back to Seattle and started getting into the swing of a busy schedule complicated by unpredictables things that came up to people I love at our church, my weight ballooned from 150 to 160 in three months.

Why?  Poor eating habits.  And, I have not exercised once since I returned from my three month sabbatical – until couple weeks ago.  I finally took out the basketball and shot for about 10 minutes in the backyard and went for a light jog.   It was downright painful and embarrassing.  Even despite lowering the rim and playing “alone,” I had a hard time dribbling, shooting, and simply…breathing.  The video below doesn’t capture me gasping for air.  Can someone say  “Cardiovascular?”

I’m in the East Coast now to speak at couple venues.  Afterwards, I hit the basketball court for some full court hoops with some current seminary students.  I know it’s hard to believe but there was a time when I was sort of a basketball legend: aka Minister Sinister was what they called me or I kept asking people to call me.  Not many did.  They just referred to me as the “Asian that can jump.”  In seminary [16 years ago], my claim to fame was being the scoring champ of our seminary basketball league one year.  Why do I share this?  Because as guys get older, they have to bring stuff up to make themselves feel better.   After one ruptured achilles, one knee surgery, and being run over by car and nearly dying, I’ve only got stories left.

Dangit! I’m tired of liking the idea of doing stuff rather than doing it.  I really need to start exercising which leads to a preview of my 2009 resolution.  My daughter was playing with our camera and shot the video footage above of me attempting a basketball comeback.  I’m still gasping for air…

Filed under: family, health, ,

1. Sue says:

It was to read more. I had a goal of reading 24 books and well, I’ll be lucky to get through my third book by December.

Do I get a prize for being the first person to confess?

2. sam says:

I totally understand the concept of boasting of past acomplishments, as one gets older. It’s one of the signs of age insecurity. Young people need to show old folks some grace when we become boastful blowhards.
    Love the giggles during the video.

3. katie says:

I kept it simple this year: floss. Not even daily, but a few times a week (baby steps, right?). Things went well for a few months… What is it about January that gives us a sense of immortality (as if flossing is as difficult as kicking a bad habit or turning over a new leaf 🙂 Self-control-wise, I’m glad to see 2008 on its way out. If I can maintain even a little shred of moderation and motivation in 2009, I’ll count it a win!

4. janowen says:

mine was to lose weight and i did, but i gained 10 pounds of it back and am struggling to get it off. i too struggle to exercise, especially in the winter. i like to get outside and do stuff. the cold just makes me want to curl with a book in front of the fire…..

5. Dana says:

My resolution was to be courageous. I’ve heard that resolutions are supposed to be concrete, so you can set goals and accomplish them. But whatever. I have made good on that resolution in various ways: self-publishing a poetry book, moving across the country from my parents to live alone and start grad school, conquering some fears, etc. It’s the best resolution I’ve ever made (I don’t make them every year) and the only one I think I really followed through on.

6. Kacie says:

um yeah I was trying to focus on practicing the spiritual disciplines, particularly regular times of Bible study and every couple months a day of silence and solitude. Yeah…. we’re about to hit December and I’ve had ONE day of silence and solitude. However, my times of Bible study have definitely been more consistent then last year.

7. Tyler Savage says:

I too enjoy the giggles during the video!

My resolution was to read 50 books, or about a book a week. I read somewhere last year about a guy reading 100 and I decided to tone that down a little. I fell off the pace somewhere during the summer and with 6 weeks left in the year am still sitting around 32, so I’m projecting I probably won’t make it.

I have been learning a lot though and not just through the specific books I’m reading. I’m learning how to pick books that give me a wide-angle perspective rather than burning out on one topic that I’m passionate about, I’m learning more about realistic reading rhythms, and how to read for specific outcomes i.e. Clinton’s reading models.

8. Jenny says:

1. To complete a specific Bible reading program…there have been some tough times, but I am on track to complete it. Part of it was to read the book of Proverbs 12 times but I stopped after 6 times through. It has certainly helped with self-discipline and of course, learning more about God and His Word.

2. To stay in better touch with parents and in-laws. We live at least 9 hours away from any family so I’ve tried to stay in touch through e-mails and phone calls mostly. I have visited all of them once this year too. Sometimes we get too caught up in our immediate family and the needs of the day so this has been a good resolution that I intend to continue.

3. To exercise more consistently. (Is this the #1 New Year’s Resolution?) While not perfect, I have exercised more consistently this year, like it or not. It is good for my health and my emotions. And a brisk 3 mile walk in the evening is a great time to converse with my husband without distractions. So good for my marriage too. 🙂

In the midst of a year that has had more turmoil than I would like, it is good to realize that there have been some successes and consistency in the midst of it all. Thanks for the post, Eugene. Your daughter’s giggles on the video brought a smile. 🙂

9. Dan Peterson says:

Eugene,

Minister Sinister’s body double looks just like you, where did you find an Asian guy your build and age that can shoot? I’m clearly impressed.

J/K, obviously. Nice shooting, you’re a stud.

My resolution has actually, against all odds, been coming to fruition. I have been training for the WAMU tower climb for Cystic Fibrosis that takes place this December (http://stairclimb.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=285455&supId=238888588) and it has been going really well. I think the key, for me at least, is to have a definite goal and timeframe that I cannot back out of. A good roommate who won’t let you skip out helps too.

Anyway, that’s my short blurb. Can’t wait to see what ’09 has in store!

10. Allie says:

Oh jeeminy. I don’t remember what my “past” year’s resolution was, so that means I obviously didn’t keep it. 😦

Regardless, I’ve decided for next year (2009 already, holy crud) to think in terms of goals, not “resolutions”. Given that I’m in training for the Chicago Marathon, itself a huge chunk of a goal, I need to break things down into manageable chunks, otherwise I become overwhelmed.

And further, at least for me, goals help create accountability, since I have deadlines I have to meet, and have to deal with the disappointment and frustration of not meeting them. I’m with you, Dan Peterson. The accountability (read: kick in the arse) built into specific goals helps me meet them!

11. Joseph Lee says:

PE, your a baller! I’ll try and help you with your new years resolution and play with you, how does that sound?

12. eugenecho says:

@joseph: sounds good.

but after we finish that website!

13. […] to everything 24 – everywhere – for only $8andchange and I need to use it.  145. 145.  145.  And lots of basketball this year.  I’m coming out of […]

14. […] Your ‘past’ year resolution?, Eugene Cho […]

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• "They got money for wars but can't feed the poor." ~ Tupac #trumpbudget || 7 hours ago
  • Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 1 day ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 3 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 4 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 4 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 5 days ago