senior hip hop choir at quest?

Two years ago, the average age at Quest was 24 for women and 26 for dudes.  Thanks to the gifting of Interbay Church to Quest about 1.5 years ago, Quest is now a multi-generational church.  We’ve gone through some transitions and issues dealing with volume, rhythm, volume, style, and volume but it’s all good now.  Our elderly community have been incredibly gracious.

And to honor them for their graciousness, we’re thinking of starting a Hip-Hop Choir just like the one below. This is a real senior choir at First Baptist Church in Columbia, South Carolina.  Check it out and wait.  Wait for the line…”Don’t ya wish your girlfriend was hot like me….”

Maybe we’re taking this “be relevant” thing too far.

Filed under: religion,

1. janowen says:

didn’t it make you giggle? I loved the part at the end when they took their robes off. I hope I am that humorous at their age. Surely this was done as a spoof!

2. Phyllis says:

this is so awesome!!!

3. Kevin Davis says:

That is ridiculous. I’m all for bridging the gap between church and culture, but g-ma doesn’t have it. Definitely had me rolling – lol!

4. elise says:

as i white lady with grandparents who like like that…………….. i appreciated that. 🙂

haha. that was too much! did you see them startin to dance a bit too?

5. jHong says:

now i see where you got your 5pm service dance moves from! on the streets they’d call you a biter.

6. All I have to say is… “Wow”!!!

7. eugenecho says:

@jHong:

yo. you betta recognize.
    i am eugene cho.
    letting you know.
    i got the flows
    and a beautiful fro.
    i’m here, letting you know.
    i’ve got moves that make people want mo’

so, let it go.
    and stop hatin’ yo.

8. eugenecho says:

put your hands up.
    put your hands up.
    put your hands up.

if you wantz to battle yo.
    i’ve next do’.

and bring the cardboard.
    i’ll thro’ down.

9. Mary Garcia says:

I wonder what they are thinking “Riding Dirty” really means?

10. Andrea says:

@ Mary- I was wondering the same thing…

11. mellocello says:

OH MY GOODNESS… I LOVE IT!!! don’t you think that choir director is living out a secret dream of being a super fly rap star?? i love the pipe organ accompaniment to “hey ya,” and the variation on “it’s getting hot in here” is so cute… “i wanna take my robes off!” i once taught “where is the love” by the black eyed peas to a middle school choir… that was the closest i ever got to being fergie.

12. jHong says:

[mic check… one-two, one-two]
    i’m not tryin’ to step to p.cho
    i don’t wanna start no drama fo sho
    i’m not scared to take a chance
    i’m justscared i’d have to watch you DANCE!

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH snap!
    😀

[please don’t fire me]

13. tha chiz says:

CHALLENGE!!!!!!!

14. eugenecho says:

microphone check. check. check. one two.
    uh. uh. check. check. check it out.

yo yo. eugene cho. back fo’ mo.

puh-lease jHong.
    it won’t take me long.
    to put you in your place.
    make you cry in disgrace.
    becuz you’ve lost face.
    you be cyin’ for grace.
    but it’s okay.
    on any given day.
    u still got love from pastor ray.

15. jHong says:

alrite alrite… ch-ch-check it out y’all…

i’d love to indulge my pastor’s delusions
    but after discerning i’ve come to the conclusion
    that it wouldn’t be worthwhile to start up drama
    and send PE cryin to his baby’s mama
    cuz minhee’s busy with enough as it is
    and besides i gosta to go and print all the bulletinz!

it’s friday y’all… word to your mom.
    RESPECT!
    😀

16. Rebecca says:

omigoodness…

1: That video was just WRONG. How did they think that was ok? Riding Dirty?!?!?
    2: I did have to laugh at the dance moves, and the warbling voices singing the hey-nahs, with the little high vibrato comin’ in over the top.
    3: I would kindly petition that we have an actual lyrical throwdown between PE and JHong at the 5pm this Sunday. I’ll be there. Matt and Baine can throw down some beats and we’ll make it happen. Word.

17. eugenecho says:

yo DJ. give me the beat…

uh uh. check check. one two. one two.

yo yo.
    emcee cho. back for ‘mo.
    don’t you know.
    i ain’t no average joe.
    i’m the real hustle and flow.
    i’m the minister sinister.
    with a whoop ass canister.

game over.

18. jHong says:

oh no he di-int! ima keep this short, sweet and DEVASTATIN’…

yo – you ain’t average joe or joe plumber you’re joe pastor
    your rhyrmes are amateur and my rhymes are MASTER!
    so i’d like to close this this rap battle for sheezy
    cuz i’m lactose intolerant and your rhymes are CHEEZY!

OHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

one love, y’all. one love.
    😀

19. You two should should have throw-down at the Nickelsville benefit. 😉 Would have packed the place out fo sho’!!

20. “Now don’t make me break this down for nothin!”

***shaking head***

I feel bad for those folks. Somebody told them that was a good idea.

They lied.

This video needs to come with a disclaimer:

“DON’T TRY THIS HOME.”

Country living.
I like. The secret to being grateful is no secret. You choose to be grateful. Then you do it again and again. Every day. If you forget, start again. Back to fishing...I mean, umm...back to writing a book. There's no such thing as a self-made person. Someone believed, encouraged, and invested in you. Be grateful and be that someone for others.

Taking a break from the sabbatical...to partner in ministry in Denver at Cherry Hills Church and at the CRU staff conference. It was such a gift to be able to encourage a handful of folks one-to-one, a small group of Asian-American leaders from EPIC, and the larger group of 5000 staff during one of the sessions.

I've been personally blessed, challenged, encouraged, exhorted, and convicted by so many who have poured into my life - friends, acquaintances, and even strangers - and I hope to do that for others as I seek to be faithful to Christ.

Thank you, Lord.
#cru17 Nothing grows by itself. If something matters to us, may we be intentional about growing it.

Invest. Pray. Plant. Water. Nurture. Repeat. God sees and knows us. In fact, God knows everything about us.

Not just the good we try so hard to project but even the mess we often seek to hide.

Let this soak in: Not only are we fully known but in Christ, we are fully pursued and loved.

This is grace.