senior hip hop choir at quest?

Two years ago, the average age at Quest was 24 for women and 26 for dudes.  Thanks to the gifting of Interbay Church to Quest about 1.5 years ago, Quest is now a multi-generational church.  We’ve gone through some transitions and issues dealing with volume, rhythm, volume, style, and volume but it’s all good now.  Our elderly community have been incredibly gracious.

And to honor them for their graciousness, we’re thinking of starting a Hip-Hop Choir just like the one below. This is a real senior choir at First Baptist Church in Columbia, South Carolina.  Check it out and wait.  Wait for the line…”Don’t ya wish your girlfriend was hot like me….”

Maybe we’re taking this “be relevant” thing too far.

Filed under: religion,

1. janowen says:

didn’t it make you giggle? I loved the part at the end when they took their robes off. I hope I am that humorous at their age. Surely this was done as a spoof!

2. Phyllis says:

this is so awesome!!!

3. Kevin Davis says:

That is ridiculous. I’m all for bridging the gap between church and culture, but g-ma doesn’t have it. Definitely had me rolling – lol!

4. elise says:

as i white lady with grandparents who like like that…………….. i appreciated that. 🙂

haha. that was too much! did you see them startin to dance a bit too?

5. jHong says:

now i see where you got your 5pm service dance moves from! on the streets they’d call you a biter.

6. All I have to say is… “Wow”!!!

7. eugenecho says:

@jHong:

yo. you betta recognize.
    i am eugene cho.
    letting you know.
    i got the flows
    and a beautiful fro.
    i’m here, letting you know.
    i’ve got moves that make people want mo’

so, let it go.
    and stop hatin’ yo.

8. eugenecho says:

put your hands up.
    put your hands up.
    put your hands up.

if you wantz to battle yo.
    i’ve next do’.

and bring the cardboard.
    i’ll thro’ down.

9. Mary Garcia says:

I wonder what they are thinking “Riding Dirty” really means?

10. Andrea says:

@ Mary- I was wondering the same thing…

11. mellocello says:

OH MY GOODNESS… I LOVE IT!!! don’t you think that choir director is living out a secret dream of being a super fly rap star?? i love the pipe organ accompaniment to “hey ya,” and the variation on “it’s getting hot in here” is so cute… “i wanna take my robes off!” i once taught “where is the love” by the black eyed peas to a middle school choir… that was the closest i ever got to being fergie.

12. jHong says:

[mic check… one-two, one-two]
    i’m not tryin’ to step to p.cho
    i don’t wanna start no drama fo sho
    i’m not scared to take a chance
    i’m justscared i’d have to watch you DANCE!

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH snap!
    😀

[please don’t fire me]

13. tha chiz says:

CHALLENGE!!!!!!!

14. eugenecho says:

microphone check. check. check. one two.
    uh. uh. check. check. check it out.

yo yo. eugene cho. back fo’ mo.

puh-lease jHong.
    it won’t take me long.
    to put you in your place.
    make you cry in disgrace.
    becuz you’ve lost face.
    you be cyin’ for grace.
    but it’s okay.
    on any given day.
    u still got love from pastor ray.

15. jHong says:

alrite alrite… ch-ch-check it out y’all…

i’d love to indulge my pastor’s delusions
    but after discerning i’ve come to the conclusion
    that it wouldn’t be worthwhile to start up drama
    and send PE cryin to his baby’s mama
    cuz minhee’s busy with enough as it is
    and besides i gosta to go and print all the bulletinz!

it’s friday y’all… word to your mom.
    RESPECT!
    😀

16. Rebecca says:

omigoodness…

1: That video was just WRONG. How did they think that was ok? Riding Dirty?!?!?
    2: I did have to laugh at the dance moves, and the warbling voices singing the hey-nahs, with the little high vibrato comin’ in over the top.
    3: I would kindly petition that we have an actual lyrical throwdown between PE and JHong at the 5pm this Sunday. I’ll be there. Matt and Baine can throw down some beats and we’ll make it happen. Word.

17. eugenecho says:

yo DJ. give me the beat…

uh uh. check check. one two. one two.

yo yo.
    emcee cho. back for ‘mo.
    don’t you know.
    i ain’t no average joe.
    i’m the real hustle and flow.
    i’m the minister sinister.
    with a whoop ass canister.

game over.

18. jHong says:

oh no he di-int! ima keep this short, sweet and DEVASTATIN’…

yo – you ain’t average joe or joe plumber you’re joe pastor
    your rhyrmes are amateur and my rhymes are MASTER!
    so i’d like to close this this rap battle for sheezy
    cuz i’m lactose intolerant and your rhymes are CHEEZY!

OHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

one love, y’all. one love.
    😀

19. You two should should have throw-down at the Nickelsville benefit. 😉 Would have packed the place out fo sho’!!

20. “Now don’t make me break this down for nothin!”

***shaking head***

I feel bad for those folks. Somebody told them that was a good idea.

They lied.

This video needs to come with a disclaimer:

“DON’T TRY THIS HOME.”

Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest Took a train to Busan. Did not encounter any zombies but I was ready just in case.

Busan. First visit to this city (couple weeks ago) and was blown away by its beauty. Also, shocked that it has become the fifth largest containment port city in the world. That's a lot of import and export.

#MyAttemptToBeTheBestSmartphonePhotographer
#Pusan #SouthKorea

• Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 6 hours ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 6 hours ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 6 hours ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 2 days ago
  • Father, bless these Iraqi and Syrian refugee children that have already endured so much. As we pray, teach us how t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 4 days ago
  • Pray for Iraq. Pray for persecuted Church, minority groups (Yezidis) and Muslims alike who are suffering under ISIS: instagram.com/p/BZF2j6Ngrna/ || 4 days ago