senior hip hop choir at quest?

Two years ago, the average age at Quest was 24 for women and 26 for dudes.  Thanks to the gifting of Interbay Church to Quest about 1.5 years ago, Quest is now a multi-generational church.  We’ve gone through some transitions and issues dealing with volume, rhythm, volume, style, and volume but it’s all good now.  Our elderly community have been incredibly gracious.

And to honor them for their graciousness, we’re thinking of starting a Hip-Hop Choir just like the one below. This is a real senior choir at First Baptist Church in Columbia, South Carolina.  Check it out and wait.  Wait for the line…”Don’t ya wish your girlfriend was hot like me….”

Maybe we’re taking this “be relevant” thing too far.

Filed under: religion,

1. janowen says:

didn’t it make you giggle? I loved the part at the end when they took their robes off. I hope I am that humorous at their age. Surely this was done as a spoof!

2. Phyllis says:

this is so awesome!!!

3. Kevin Davis says:

That is ridiculous. I’m all for bridging the gap between church and culture, but g-ma doesn’t have it. Definitely had me rolling – lol!

4. elise says:

as i white lady with grandparents who like like that…………….. i appreciated that.🙂

haha. that was too much! did you see them startin to dance a bit too?

5. jHong says:

now i see where you got your 5pm service dance moves from! on the streets they’d call you a biter.

6. All I have to say is… “Wow”!!!

7. eugenecho says:

@jHong:

yo. you betta recognize.
    i am eugene cho.
    letting you know.
    i got the flows
    and a beautiful fro.
    i’m here, letting you know.
    i’ve got moves that make people want mo’

so, let it go.
    and stop hatin’ yo.

8. eugenecho says:

put your hands up.
    put your hands up.
    put your hands up.

if you wantz to battle yo.
    i’ve next do’.

and bring the cardboard.
    i’ll thro’ down.

9. Mary Garcia says:

I wonder what they are thinking “Riding Dirty” really means?

10. Andrea says:

@ Mary- I was wondering the same thing…

11. mellocello says:

OH MY GOODNESS… I LOVE IT!!! don’t you think that choir director is living out a secret dream of being a super fly rap star?? i love the pipe organ accompaniment to “hey ya,” and the variation on “it’s getting hot in here” is so cute… “i wanna take my robes off!” i once taught “where is the love” by the black eyed peas to a middle school choir… that was the closest i ever got to being fergie.

12. jHong says:

[mic check… one-two, one-two]
    i’m not tryin’ to step to p.cho
    i don’t wanna start no drama fo sho
    i’m not scared to take a chance
    i’m justscared i’d have to watch you DANCE!

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH snap!😀

[please don’t fire me]

13. tha chiz says:

CHALLENGE!!!!!!!

14. eugenecho says:

microphone check. check. check. one two.
    uh. uh. check. check. check it out.

yo yo. eugene cho. back fo’ mo.

puh-lease jHong.
    it won’t take me long.
    to put you in your place.
    make you cry in disgrace.
    becuz you’ve lost face.
    you be cyin’ for grace.
    but it’s okay.
    on any given day.
    u still got love from pastor ray.

15. jHong says:

alrite alrite… ch-ch-check it out y’all…

i’d love to indulge my pastor’s delusions
    but after discerning i’ve come to the conclusion
    that it wouldn’t be worthwhile to start up drama
    and send PE cryin to his baby’s mama
    cuz minhee’s busy with enough as it is
    and besides i gosta to go and print all the bulletinz!

it’s friday y’all… word to your mom.
    RESPECT!😀

16. Rebecca says:

omigoodness…

1: That video was just WRONG. How did they think that was ok? Riding Dirty?!?!?
    2: I did have to laugh at the dance moves, and the warbling voices singing the hey-nahs, with the little high vibrato comin’ in over the top.
    3: I would kindly petition that we have an actual lyrical throwdown between PE and JHong at the 5pm this Sunday. I’ll be there. Matt and Baine can throw down some beats and we’ll make it happen. Word.

17. eugenecho says:

yo DJ. give me the beat…

uh uh. check check. one two. one two.

yo yo.
    emcee cho. back for ‘mo.
    don’t you know.
    i ain’t no average joe.
    i’m the real hustle and flow.
    i’m the minister sinister.
    with a whoop ass canister.

game over.

18. jHong says:

oh no he di-int! ima keep this short, sweet and DEVASTATIN’…

yo – you ain’t average joe or joe plumber you’re joe pastor
    your rhyrmes are amateur and my rhymes are MASTER!
    so i’d like to close this this rap battle for sheezy
    cuz i’m lactose intolerant and your rhymes are CHEEZY!

OHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

one love, y’all. one love.😀

19. You two should should have throw-down at the Nickelsville benefit.😉 Would have packed the place out fo sho’!!

20. “Now don’t make me break this down for nothin!”

***shaking head***

I feel bad for those folks. Somebody told them that was a good idea.

They lied.

This video needs to come with a disclaimer:

“DON’T TRY THIS HOME.”

Today, Minhee and I dropped off our eldest child at her college. We have been thinking and praying about this day for many years. On some days, we hoped it would never come. On other days, we couldn't wait for it to come. On some days, we prayed for time to stop and other days, we prayed with anticipation.

A flood of thoughts rushed my mind.

Is she ready?
Have we done enough?
Have we taught her enough?
What if this? What if that?

And I came home.
And I wept.
Forget my street cred.
I miss her. I love her.
She will always be my little baby.

Happy life. - Eugenius 3:16

I still remember that time, many years ago, when Minhee was pregnant with our first child. She had left her family and friends in Korea just two years before. Her morning sickness was horrible and when she finally had an appetite, she craved her favorite Korean food from certain restaurants in her neighborhood in Seoul, Korea. I had no way of getting that food from those restaurants so I actually said, "How about a Whopper? Big Mac?" Sorry honey. Eat away. You deserve it. I don't care if it sounds mushy but sunsets are one of my love languages. Seoul, Korea was amazing but WOW...what a breathtaking welcome back sunset by Seattle. Not ready to let go of summer. Seattle. 7:00pm. Desperately holding on to summer. #goldengardenpark #nofilter Happy Birthday, Minhee! I'm so grateful for you. You radiate faith, hope, and love.  No...you don't complete me. That would be silly and simply humanly impossible but you keep pointing me and our family to Christ who informs and transforms our lives, marriage, family, and ministry. Thanks for being so faithful. I love you so much. (* And what a gift to be in Korea together.)