senior hip hop choir at quest?

Two years ago, the average age at Quest was 24 for women and 26 for dudes.  Thanks to the gifting of Interbay Church to Quest about 1.5 years ago, Quest is now a multi-generational church.  We’ve gone through some transitions and issues dealing with volume, rhythm, volume, style, and volume but it’s all good now.  Our elderly community have been incredibly gracious.

And to honor them for their graciousness, we’re thinking of starting a Hip-Hop Choir just like the one below. This is a real senior choir at First Baptist Church in Columbia, South Carolina.  Check it out and wait.  Wait for the line…”Don’t ya wish your girlfriend was hot like me….”

Maybe we’re taking this “be relevant” thing too far.

Filed under: religion,

1. janowen says:

didn’t it make you giggle? I loved the part at the end when they took their robes off. I hope I am that humorous at their age. Surely this was done as a spoof!

2. Phyllis says:

this is so awesome!!!

3. Kevin Davis says:

That is ridiculous. I’m all for bridging the gap between church and culture, but g-ma doesn’t have it. Definitely had me rolling – lol!

4. elise says:

as i white lady with grandparents who like like that…………….. i appreciated that. 🙂

haha. that was too much! did you see them startin to dance a bit too?

5. jHong says:

now i see where you got your 5pm service dance moves from! on the streets they’d call you a biter.

6. All I have to say is… “Wow”!!!

7. eugenecho says:

@jHong:

yo. you betta recognize.
    i am eugene cho.
    letting you know.
    i got the flows
    and a beautiful fro.
    i’m here, letting you know.
    i’ve got moves that make people want mo’

so, let it go.
    and stop hatin’ yo.

8. eugenecho says:

put your hands up.
    put your hands up.
    put your hands up.

if you wantz to battle yo.
    i’ve next do’.

and bring the cardboard.
    i’ll thro’ down.

9. Mary Garcia says:

I wonder what they are thinking “Riding Dirty” really means?

10. Andrea says:

@ Mary- I was wondering the same thing…

11. mellocello says:

OH MY GOODNESS… I LOVE IT!!! don’t you think that choir director is living out a secret dream of being a super fly rap star?? i love the pipe organ accompaniment to “hey ya,” and the variation on “it’s getting hot in here” is so cute… “i wanna take my robes off!” i once taught “where is the love” by the black eyed peas to a middle school choir… that was the closest i ever got to being fergie.

12. jHong says:

[mic check… one-two, one-two]
    i’m not tryin’ to step to p.cho
    i don’t wanna start no drama fo sho
    i’m not scared to take a chance
    i’m justscared i’d have to watch you DANCE!

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH snap!
    😀

[please don’t fire me]

13. tha chiz says:

CHALLENGE!!!!!!!

14. eugenecho says:

microphone check. check. check. one two.
    uh. uh. check. check. check it out.

yo yo. eugene cho. back fo’ mo.

puh-lease jHong.
    it won’t take me long.
    to put you in your place.
    make you cry in disgrace.
    becuz you’ve lost face.
    you be cyin’ for grace.
    but it’s okay.
    on any given day.
    u still got love from pastor ray.

15. jHong says:

alrite alrite… ch-ch-check it out y’all…

i’d love to indulge my pastor’s delusions
    but after discerning i’ve come to the conclusion
    that it wouldn’t be worthwhile to start up drama
    and send PE cryin to his baby’s mama
    cuz minhee’s busy with enough as it is
    and besides i gosta to go and print all the bulletinz!

it’s friday y’all… word to your mom.
    RESPECT!
    😀

16. Rebecca says:

omigoodness…

1: That video was just WRONG. How did they think that was ok? Riding Dirty?!?!?
    2: I did have to laugh at the dance moves, and the warbling voices singing the hey-nahs, with the little high vibrato comin’ in over the top.
    3: I would kindly petition that we have an actual lyrical throwdown between PE and JHong at the 5pm this Sunday. I’ll be there. Matt and Baine can throw down some beats and we’ll make it happen. Word.

17. eugenecho says:

yo DJ. give me the beat…

uh uh. check check. one two. one two.

yo yo.
    emcee cho. back for ‘mo.
    don’t you know.
    i ain’t no average joe.
    i’m the real hustle and flow.
    i’m the minister sinister.
    with a whoop ass canister.

game over.

18. jHong says:

oh no he di-int! ima keep this short, sweet and DEVASTATIN’…

yo – you ain’t average joe or joe plumber you’re joe pastor
    your rhyrmes are amateur and my rhymes are MASTER!
    so i’d like to close this this rap battle for sheezy
    cuz i’m lactose intolerant and your rhymes are CHEEZY!

OHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

one love, y’all. one love.
    😀

19. You two should should have throw-down at the Nickelsville benefit. 😉 Would have packed the place out fo sho’!!

20. “Now don’t make me break this down for nothin!”

***shaking head***

I feel bad for those folks. Somebody told them that was a good idea.

They lied.

This video needs to come with a disclaimer:

“DON’T TRY THIS HOME.”

We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on. I have to remind myself of this every day...because I can forget every day:

Don't be lazy and make assumptions about people. Ask about their story. Then listen. Be humble. Be teachable. Be human. Be a good neighbor.