senior hip hop choir at quest?

Two years ago, the average age at Quest was 24 for women and 26 for dudes.  Thanks to the gifting of Interbay Church to Quest about 1.5 years ago, Quest is now a multi-generational church.  We’ve gone through some transitions and issues dealing with volume, rhythm, volume, style, and volume but it’s all good now.  Our elderly community have been incredibly gracious.

And to honor them for their graciousness, we’re thinking of starting a Hip-Hop Choir just like the one below. This is a real senior choir at First Baptist Church in Columbia, South Carolina.  Check it out and wait.  Wait for the line…”Don’t ya wish your girlfriend was hot like me….”

Maybe we’re taking this “be relevant” thing too far.

Filed under: religion,

1. janowen says:

didn’t it make you giggle? I loved the part at the end when they took their robes off. I hope I am that humorous at their age. Surely this was done as a spoof!

2. Phyllis says:

this is so awesome!!!

3. Kevin Davis says:

That is ridiculous. I’m all for bridging the gap between church and culture, but g-ma doesn’t have it. Definitely had me rolling – lol!

4. elise says:

as i white lady with grandparents who like like that…………….. i appreciated that. 🙂

haha. that was too much! did you see them startin to dance a bit too?

5. jHong says:

now i see where you got your 5pm service dance moves from! on the streets they’d call you a biter.

6. All I have to say is… “Wow”!!!

7. eugenecho says:

@jHong:

yo. you betta recognize.
    i am eugene cho.
    letting you know.
    i got the flows
    and a beautiful fro.
    i’m here, letting you know.
    i’ve got moves that make people want mo’

so, let it go.
    and stop hatin’ yo.

8. eugenecho says:

put your hands up.
    put your hands up.
    put your hands up.

if you wantz to battle yo.
    i’ve next do’.

and bring the cardboard.
    i’ll thro’ down.

9. Mary Garcia says:

I wonder what they are thinking “Riding Dirty” really means?

10. Andrea says:

@ Mary- I was wondering the same thing…

11. mellocello says:

OH MY GOODNESS… I LOVE IT!!! don’t you think that choir director is living out a secret dream of being a super fly rap star?? i love the pipe organ accompaniment to “hey ya,” and the variation on “it’s getting hot in here” is so cute… “i wanna take my robes off!” i once taught “where is the love” by the black eyed peas to a middle school choir… that was the closest i ever got to being fergie.

12. jHong says:

[mic check… one-two, one-two]
    i’m not tryin’ to step to p.cho
    i don’t wanna start no drama fo sho
    i’m not scared to take a chance
    i’m justscared i’d have to watch you DANCE!

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH snap!
    😀

[please don’t fire me]

13. tha chiz says:

CHALLENGE!!!!!!!

14. eugenecho says:

microphone check. check. check. one two.
    uh. uh. check. check. check it out.

yo yo. eugene cho. back fo’ mo.

puh-lease jHong.
    it won’t take me long.
    to put you in your place.
    make you cry in disgrace.
    becuz you’ve lost face.
    you be cyin’ for grace.
    but it’s okay.
    on any given day.
    u still got love from pastor ray.

15. jHong says:

alrite alrite… ch-ch-check it out y’all…

i’d love to indulge my pastor’s delusions
    but after discerning i’ve come to the conclusion
    that it wouldn’t be worthwhile to start up drama
    and send PE cryin to his baby’s mama
    cuz minhee’s busy with enough as it is
    and besides i gosta to go and print all the bulletinz!

it’s friday y’all… word to your mom.
    RESPECT!
    😀

16. Rebecca says:

omigoodness…

1: That video was just WRONG. How did they think that was ok? Riding Dirty?!?!?
    2: I did have to laugh at the dance moves, and the warbling voices singing the hey-nahs, with the little high vibrato comin’ in over the top.
    3: I would kindly petition that we have an actual lyrical throwdown between PE and JHong at the 5pm this Sunday. I’ll be there. Matt and Baine can throw down some beats and we’ll make it happen. Word.

17. eugenecho says:

yo DJ. give me the beat…

uh uh. check check. one two. one two.

yo yo.
    emcee cho. back for ‘mo.
    don’t you know.
    i ain’t no average joe.
    i’m the real hustle and flow.
    i’m the minister sinister.
    with a whoop ass canister.

game over.

18. jHong says:

oh no he di-int! ima keep this short, sweet and DEVASTATIN’…

yo – you ain’t average joe or joe plumber you’re joe pastor
    your rhyrmes are amateur and my rhymes are MASTER!
    so i’d like to close this this rap battle for sheezy
    cuz i’m lactose intolerant and your rhymes are CHEEZY!

OHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

one love, y’all. one love.
    😀

19. You two should should have throw-down at the Nickelsville benefit. 😉 Would have packed the place out fo sho’!!

20. “Now don’t make me break this down for nothin!”

***shaking head***

I feel bad for those folks. Somebody told them that was a good idea.

They lied.

This video needs to come with a disclaimer:

“DON’T TRY THIS HOME.”

In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.
Pray and choose wisely.
Then invest deeply. May our compassion not just be limited to the West or to those that look like us. Lifting up the people of Iraq, Iran, and Kurdistan in prayer after the 7.3 earthquake - including the many new friends I met on a recent trip to Iraq.

The death toll rises to over 400 and over 7,000 injured in multiple cities and hundreds of villages along the Western border with Iraq.

Lord, in your mercy... We are reminded again and again...that we are Resurrection People living in a Dark Friday world.

It's been a tough, emotional, and painful week - especially as we lament the horrible tragedy of the church shootings at Sutherland Springs. In the midst of this lament, I've been carried by the hope, beauty, and promise of our baptisms last Sunday and the raw and honest testimonies of God's mercy, love, and grace.

Indeed, God is not yet done. May we take heart for Christ has overcome the world. "Without genuine relationships with the poor, we rob them of their dignity and they become mere projects. And God did not intend for anyone to become our projects." Grateful this quote from my book, Overrated, is resonating with so many folks - individuals and  NGOs. / design by @preemptivelove .
May we keep working