shane claiborne at quest

shane claiborne at quest

I am incredibly thankful and indebted to Shane.  I first met Shane six years ago at a conference we spoke at together in Seattle and met at Q Cafe.  We recently re-connected over the past year and so, I asked him if he’d be willing to visit and speak at Quest Church – specifically after the elections seasons since his book Jesus for President engaged the faith and politics conversation.   Umm, this all happened in the last month but it happened.

But I had no idea how much Shane went out of his way to be with us at Quest last night until we hung out last night.  Shane flew from Philly to Vancouver, spoke three times on Sunday at a church up North, and then drove about 2.5 hours [not including an hour stoppage at the US/Canada border] to Seattle.  He made it to my home only a half hour before the event!  Shane:  Brother, thank you very much.  It means a great deal to me, to Quest, and to the Seattle community that you went out of your way to share in fellowship and ministry!

As promised, here are some pictures and mp3s from the event “A Quest Conversation with Shane Claiborne.”  Any feedback and pushback from the conversation?

Evening flow:  Worship led by Matt C. and the 5pm worship crew; Shane’s provocative chat; and then a Q/A with Shane [with an unplanned moment of embarrassment from Shane’s past!]

Shane Claiborne, author of Jesus for President and The Irresistable Revolution, teaches on Jesus’ response to John the Baptizer in Matthew 11:2-6 and talks about being the change we want to see.  He talks about some of the ways he has seen Christians today trying to enact the imaginative Jubilee economics and enemy-love of the Kingdom of God.  [35 minutes]

The second half of our conference with Shane Claiborne was Q&A format with Pastor Eugene.  Questions centered around politics (i.e. “what would you say if you had a few minutes with President Obama?”) and living the Christian life with imagination (i.e. “what are some of the ways you’ve seen people from all walks re-imagining Kingdom living?”) [43 minutes]

And here are some pics courtesy of Leo Chen Photography.  You can see all the pics HERE.

shane claiborne at quest

shane claiborne at quest

shane claiborne at quest

Filed under: religion, ,

1. Shaun King says:

Very cool stuff man! Looking forward to listening to the MP3s.

2. Shauna says:

Thank you for posting the conversation you guys had. It really is an encouragement. Impacting up here in Canada as well!

3. Amy says:

Pastor Eugene,

Thank you. I had the joy of being at your church last night for the event. This was the first time I’ve visited your church and have been wanting to for awhile since we’ve heard so much about what’s going through your church and ministry. The music, Shane, and the conversation was what I needed. It was refreshing. Thank you.

4. Tyler says:

great stuff eugene. thanks for sharing all this. sorry i wasn’t able to make it up.

5. J Fowler says:

Great stuff! Thank you for sharing.

6. […] shane claiborne at quest « beauty and depravity here are some pictures and mp3s from the event “A Quest Conversation with Shane Claiborne.” […]

7. katie says:

While the entire evening was very inspiring and challenging, one thing in particular that Shane did spoke volumes of his constant and unwavering devotion to Christ and neighbor. He spoke about everyone in only terms of love (including those he disagrees with): brother, sister, friend, buddy. What would it look like if we all used that language exclusively when talking of others and also when talking TO others?

A great night that I’m very thankful to have been a part of. I loved “pour one out for Rich [Mullins]” and “they don’t sound like Metallica! I’ve been hoodwinked!”

8. blake says:

i was able to download the first mp3 in google reader, but cant figure out how to download the second. is there a way to do this?

9. Mary says:

We were inspired and encouraged. Thank you Shane and Eugene!

10. eugenecho says:

@blake: i really don’t know. maybe try the original source on the quest website:

11. blake says:

thanks eugene. got it.

12. Blake says:

It really was a great night. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was really interesting to hear him with his own voice and not the voice I heard in my head when reading his books. (The contrast between his native Tennessee accent and the so-cal surfer in my head was particularly amusing! ;-))

13. […] Claiborne spoke on Sunday at Quest Church in Seattle, and Eugene Cho posted pictures and Mp3s on his […]

14. katiem says:

Eugene. Thanks for this chance to peek into your weekend with Shane. He is closing session speaker for the Covenant Connection January 31 – February 2 in Chicago. Connection is the pre-Midwinter event for worship leaders, artists, youth leaders, and a whole bunch of folks who are leading works of compassion, mercy, justice (cmj) in the local church. Everybody tell your friends. This is our first attempt at pulling several ministry tracks together for a combined connection.

15. jHong says:

wow… shane is a stilt-walker, too??? small world.🙂

i’m really sad i couldn’t be there live via-satellite but it sounds like it was a wonderful time! tennessee REPRESENT!

16. Emily says:

I LOVED it! Was so excited going into it and wasn’t disappointed. In the process of blogging about my thoughts and his words that stood-out to me:

17. Thanks for sharing this. It was great to hear Shane speak in a Q&A format rather than the standard 30-40 minute monologue. It was great to hear his heart… and about some of his personal interests.

18. […] Shane Claiborne was at Eugene Cho’s church in Seattle last Sunday night. I’m sad I couldn’t make it (would have been a long bike ride). He has some pictures and audio. […]

19. Todd Stoothoff says:

I am very grateful that you were able to bring Shane Claiborne to Quest Church. When I read his books in Yakima I hoped that one day I would be able to see him speak. Now I go to SPU and had the opportunity to walk to Quest and see him talk. The conversation was a great blessing for me and he is certainly an inspiring speaker.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

One of my goals in life (aka bucket list). Visit 100 global cities, soak in some of their museums, learn their stories, meet local folks, visit local churches, and hear stories of how God is at work there. Let's fully welcome refugees. Remember, refugees aren't terrorists...they're the ones fleeing away from violence, war, and terrorism.
Afraid? Me too. It's ok to acknowledge we're afraid since it confirms we're all...just...human. We're all afraid on some level especially when our culture seems to run on the currency of fear but as we live out our faith in Christ and more deeply embody compassion and love, fear begins to dissipate. It's also incredibly critical to know that agencies are implementing some of the most rigorous and thorough vetting ever.
My family hosted a Somalian Muslim family from a refugee camp years ago through @WorldRelief. It was eye opening, challenging (especially with language realities), and yet, encouraging...and we hope to host families again in the future as they resettle in a completely new and foreign city and country. It's a terrifying experience. And while not a refugee, I remember the first few months as an immigrant when I was six years old. To this day, I remember the kindness of folks that helped us through that transition. Lift a prayer for me as I'm privileged to collaborate in ministry here in Melbourne, Australia. Meeting with local pastors, teaching at the Justice Conference (10/21-22). Then, preaching at the Bridge Church on Sunday  Pray that in preaching the whole Gospel from the Scriptures, I may honor God, point people to Jesus, and be sensitive to the presence and power of the Holy Spirit. Amen. Interesting. The holy bench. Wow. And in a blink of an eye, this happened. The nights might be long but the years go by fast. #ParentProverbs #WhatHappenedToMy13YearOldSon This past week, @seattlequest celebrated its 15th Anniversary. In many ways, it feels like forever and in other ways, it just seemed like we just started yesterday.

Around May 2000, Minhee and I found out we were expecting a 2nd child. Then, we got another surprise. We felt a calling and stirring to plant a church. We told God, "This is horrible timing!" We left a thriving ministry that we started in the Seattle surburbs and felt compelled to move into the city to plant a new multiethnic church called Quest. To be honest, we were so scared. Minhee was pregnant. Our insurance was about to run out. But we ventured forth. Once I resigned from this church, I had plans, goals, strategies...and none of them materialized. Only bills and payments. I quickly found out that a Masters of Divinity degree - as cool as it may sound - is actually useless in society. No one wanted to hire me. I was unemployed for months. We were eventually on food stamps and DSHS insurance.

In December 2000, we welcomed our 2nd child to the world. When "T" was born, we cried more than the baby. Couple days later, I finally landed a job as the janitor at a Barnes & Noble store. It wasn't quite what I was envisioning but God really worked through this "valley season." And we finally felt peace about starting Quest. Seven people gathered in our living room and several months later on October 2001, Quest Church was officially launched.
It has not been easy. We've been hurt and worse, we learned we hurt people. More accurately, I hurt people. We've heard our share of criticisms and sometimes, even worse. I've been called my share of names. Too many to list. I've been too liberal, too conservative, too edgy, too rigid, too blunt, too passive. We spent many nights crying out to the Lord...for direction, for peace, for answers. We usually never got the answers we were wanting...but we always felt His presence - even during our valleys. To be honest, we still have many restless nights. In fact, I think we have had more restless nights these past two years than we did in the first two years.
But through it all. God has been so faithful and gracious. Thank you, Lord.

• One of my goals in life (aka bucket list). Visit 100 global cities & soak in some of their… || 6 hours ago
  • We need to pursue justice not just because the world is broken, but because we’re broken too. Pursuing justice restores our own brokenness. || 6 hours ago
  • It's my birthday today. Grateful for family/friends. Above all, Jesus: Grateful for life, gift of salvation & the privilege of serving You. || 1 day ago
  • Let's fully welcome refugees. Remember, refugees aren't terrorists...they're fleeing from violence, war, terrorism:…… || 2 days ago
  • Lift a prayer for me as I preach in Melbourne, Australia. That I may honor God, point to Jesus, be sensitive to HS: || 2 days ago
  • Political inclinations aside, you discover much about a person in defeat. Finish well. This is leadership, too. || 2 days ago