i am scared of the number 10 and my halloween costume letdown

Our oldest daughter turned 10 yesterday.  She was born on October 31 – Halloween – or if we want to appear more spiritual: the day before All Saint’s Day.  Perhaps for some, it’s not a big deal but our girl turning ten is a big deal for us. She is now double digits.

Time seems to be flying by for us.  Been married 11+ years. Three kids.  Quest is 7.  Q Cafe is 6. And now, our baby is entering into the pre-teen years.  It seemed like last year, she was celebrating her 3rd birthday [pic below].

She’s a wonderful and amazing girl.  Minhee and I feel so privileged to be her parents.  While we hear the occasional horror story of the turbulent teenage years, we have no fear.  While I’m sure there will be some bumps along the way, we’re excited for this year and the years to come.  It’s surreal to think that in about eight years, she’ll be off to college.  When she was about five years old, I remember disciplining her for something and consequently, she went to her room and closed the door.  Several minutes later, I went to her room and was about to open the door when I saw this sign on her door.  It took me a few seconds to get it but once I did, I couldn’t stop laughing.

*  And on a Halloween note, our family enjoyed a nice stroll in the misty Seattle weather for trick or treating in downtown Ballard, Seattle.  We then joined other families for a family fellowship at church.  I was so excited to flaunt my costume but with the exception of one random street walker, no one was really impressed.

What was I missing? I really needed the 8 gold medals around my neck.  I didn’t take any pics of my letdown costume but this is what I looked like [from a previous pic].  I was Michael Phelps.

What was your costume?

Filed under: family

1. Samuel says:

Your daughter is beautiful. Dude, where did you get those blue goggles? I’m afraid you might appear in my dream as I get ready to hit the sack.

2. janowen says:

I didn’t do anything last night but had a costume party last weekend and was the “Dancing Queen” (check out your ABBA). It was fun.

Teenage years are more emotionally wearing than the baby years……more drama, more important issues, and the like. Even if your kids are wonderful, it’s just harder as they approach adulthood. AND it makes you feel a bit old!!!

3. what an adorable kid! Congrats on her 10th, man (that sign is classic, too LOL)

4. Jenny says:

Happy Birthday to your beautiful ten year old! When our girls turned double digits, it was a big deal too. Their dad took each of them on a date to the Space Needle to celebrate the milestone. I’m glad we celebrate milestones. Now our oldest is a junior in college and living in another state. And we just took senior pictures of our youngest and are trying to slow down this last year at home with her. You are right to look forward to the teenage years (and the years to come)…they are full of delight and adventures! God bless your family!

5. Randall says:

Darwin and I went to a “versus” Halloween party.

We dressed up as boxers vs briefs.

Pictures to come.

Be afraid. Be very afraid!

6. Sue says:

That “do not destervive” sign is too funny. I couldn’t stop laughing as well.

No Halloween costume for me this year.

7. elise says:

just keeping taking your daughter out on those dates and initiating hugs/your style of physical affection and affirmation. the pre-teen and teen years can become awkward between dad and daughter, as daughter starts to like boys and flirt and realizes that dad is a boy, so when dad kisses her that’s weird….it’s just a stage to get through.

or it was for me : )

8. JB says:

I too find that my kids are growing up faster than I am ready for them to! Very disterviving!

In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.
Pray and choose wisely.
Then invest deeply. May our compassion not just be limited to the West or to those that look like us. Lifting up the people of Iraq, Iran, and Kurdistan in prayer after the 7.3 earthquake - including the many new friends I met on a recent trip to Iraq.

The death toll rises to over 400 and over 7,000 injured in multiple cities and hundreds of villages along the Western border with Iraq.

Lord, in your mercy... We are reminded again and again...that we are Resurrection People living in a Dark Friday world.

It's been a tough, emotional, and painful week - especially as we lament the horrible tragedy of the church shootings at Sutherland Springs. In the midst of this lament, I've been carried by the hope, beauty, and promise of our baptisms last Sunday and the raw and honest testimonies of God's mercy, love, and grace.

Indeed, God is not yet done. May we take heart for Christ has overcome the world. "Without genuine relationships with the poor, we rob them of their dignity and they become mere projects. And God did not intend for anyone to become our projects." Grateful this quote from my book, Overrated, is resonating with so many folks - individuals and  NGOs. / design by @preemptivelove .
May we keep working