i am scared of the number 10 and my halloween costume letdown

Our oldest daughter turned 10 yesterday.  She was born on October 31 – Halloween – or if we want to appear more spiritual: the day before All Saint’s Day.  Perhaps for some, it’s not a big deal but our girl turning ten is a big deal for us. She is now double digits.

Time seems to be flying by for us.  Been married 11+ years. Three kids.  Quest is 7.  Q Cafe is 6. And now, our baby is entering into the pre-teen years.  It seemed like last year, she was celebrating her 3rd birthday [pic below].

She’s a wonderful and amazing girl.  Minhee and I feel so privileged to be her parents.  While we hear the occasional horror story of the turbulent teenage years, we have no fear.  While I’m sure there will be some bumps along the way, we’re excited for this year and the years to come.  It’s surreal to think that in about eight years, she’ll be off to college.  When she was about five years old, I remember disciplining her for something and consequently, she went to her room and closed the door.  Several minutes later, I went to her room and was about to open the door when I saw this sign on her door.  It took me a few seconds to get it but once I did, I couldn’t stop laughing.

*  And on a Halloween note, our family enjoyed a nice stroll in the misty Seattle weather for trick or treating in downtown Ballard, Seattle.  We then joined other families for a family fellowship at church.  I was so excited to flaunt my costume but with the exception of one random street walker, no one was really impressed.

What was I missing? I really needed the 8 gold medals around my neck.  I didn’t take any pics of my letdown costume but this is what I looked like [from a previous pic].  I was Michael Phelps.

What was your costume?

Filed under: family

1. Samuel says:

Your daughter is beautiful. Dude, where did you get those blue goggles? I’m afraid you might appear in my dream as I get ready to hit the sack.

2. janowen says:

I didn’t do anything last night but had a costume party last weekend and was the “Dancing Queen” (check out your ABBA). It was fun.

Teenage years are more emotionally wearing than the baby years……more drama, more important issues, and the like. Even if your kids are wonderful, it’s just harder as they approach adulthood. AND it makes you feel a bit old!!!

3. what an adorable kid! Congrats on her 10th, man (that sign is classic, too LOL)

4. Jenny says:

Happy Birthday to your beautiful ten year old! When our girls turned double digits, it was a big deal too. Their dad took each of them on a date to the Space Needle to celebrate the milestone. I’m glad we celebrate milestones. Now our oldest is a junior in college and living in another state. And we just took senior pictures of our youngest and are trying to slow down this last year at home with her. You are right to look forward to the teenage years (and the years to come)…they are full of delight and adventures! God bless your family!

5. Randall says:

Darwin and I went to a “versus” Halloween party.

We dressed up as boxers vs briefs.

Pictures to come.

Be afraid. Be very afraid!

6. Sue says:

That “do not destervive” sign is too funny. I couldn’t stop laughing as well.

No Halloween costume for me this year.

7. elise says:

just keeping taking your daughter out on those dates and initiating hugs/your style of physical affection and affirmation. the pre-teen and teen years can become awkward between dad and daughter, as daughter starts to like boys and flirt and realizes that dad is a boy, so when dad kisses her that’s weird….it’s just a stage to get through.

or it was for me : )

8. JB says:

I too find that my kids are growing up faster than I am ready for them to! Very disterviving!

The secret to being grateful is no secret. You choose to be grateful. Then you do it again and again. Every day. If you forget, start again. Back to fishing...I mean, umm...back to writing a book. There's no such thing as a self-made person. Someone believed, encouraged, and invested in you. Be grateful and be that someone for others.

Taking a break from the sabbatical...to partner in ministry in Denver at Cherry Hills Church and at the CRU staff conference. It was such a gift to be able to encourage a handful of folks one-to-one, a small group of Asian-American leaders from EPIC, and the larger group of 5000 staff during one of the sessions.

I've been personally blessed, challenged, encouraged, exhorted, and convicted by so many who have poured into my life - friends, acquaintances, and even strangers - and I hope to do that for others as I seek to be faithful to Christ.

Thank you, Lord.
#cru17 Nothing grows by itself. If something matters to us, may we be intentional about growing it.

Invest. Pray. Plant. Water. Nurture. Repeat. God sees and knows us. In fact, God knows everything about us.

Not just the good we try so hard to project but even the mess we often seek to hide.

Let this soak in: Not only are we fully known but in Christ, we are fully pursued and loved.

This is grace.
Amazing grace. Hairstyles change. Sideburn fads come and go but may our commitment to love, honor, respect, and be on mission together for Christ never waver.

Thank you, Minhee. I love you so much even if you made fun of my hairstyle and sideburns.

• The secret to being grateful is no secret. You choose to be grateful. Then you do it again and again. Every day. If you forget, start again. || 11 hours ago
  • Back to fishing...I mean, umm...back to writing a book. instagram.com/p/BW-64QmA3ji/ || 11 hours ago
  • RT @bj116: Love without Truth leads to liberalism. Truth without love leads to legalism. But Truth working with Love leads to a Gospel tran… || 2 days ago
  • There's no such thing as a self-made person. Someone believed, encouraged, and invested in you. Be grateful and be that someone for others. || 3 days ago
  • Nature is one of my love languages. - instagram.com/p/BW0uNlng0If/ || 4 days ago
  • Nothing grows by itself. If something matters to us, may we be intentional about growing it. Invest. Pray. Plant. Water. Nurture. Repeat. || 5 days ago