i am scared of the number 10 and my halloween costume letdown

Our oldest daughter turned 10 yesterday.  She was born on October 31 – Halloween – or if we want to appear more spiritual: the day before All Saint’s Day.  Perhaps for some, it’s not a big deal but our girl turning ten is a big deal for us. She is now double digits.

Time seems to be flying by for us.  Been married 11+ years. Three kids.  Quest is 7.  Q Cafe is 6. And now, our baby is entering into the pre-teen years.  It seemed like last year, she was celebrating her 3rd birthday [pic below].

She’s a wonderful and amazing girl.  Minhee and I feel so privileged to be her parents.  While we hear the occasional horror story of the turbulent teenage years, we have no fear.  While I’m sure there will be some bumps along the way, we’re excited for this year and the years to come.  It’s surreal to think that in about eight years, she’ll be off to college.  When she was about five years old, I remember disciplining her for something and consequently, she went to her room and closed the door.  Several minutes later, I went to her room and was about to open the door when I saw this sign on her door.  It took me a few seconds to get it but once I did, I couldn’t stop laughing.

*  And on a Halloween note, our family enjoyed a nice stroll in the misty Seattle weather for trick or treating in downtown Ballard, Seattle.  We then joined other families for a family fellowship at church.  I was so excited to flaunt my costume but with the exception of one random street walker, no one was really impressed.

What was I missing? I really needed the 8 gold medals around my neck.  I didn’t take any pics of my letdown costume but this is what I looked like [from a previous pic].  I was Michael Phelps.

What was your costume?

Filed under: family

1. Samuel says:

Your daughter is beautiful. Dude, where did you get those blue goggles? I’m afraid you might appear in my dream as I get ready to hit the sack.

2. janowen says:

I didn’t do anything last night but had a costume party last weekend and was the “Dancing Queen” (check out your ABBA). It was fun.

Teenage years are more emotionally wearing than the baby years……more drama, more important issues, and the like. Even if your kids are wonderful, it’s just harder as they approach adulthood. AND it makes you feel a bit old!!!

3. what an adorable kid! Congrats on her 10th, man (that sign is classic, too LOL)

4. Jenny says:

Happy Birthday to your beautiful ten year old! When our girls turned double digits, it was a big deal too. Their dad took each of them on a date to the Space Needle to celebrate the milestone. I’m glad we celebrate milestones. Now our oldest is a junior in college and living in another state. And we just took senior pictures of our youngest and are trying to slow down this last year at home with her. You are right to look forward to the teenage years (and the years to come)…they are full of delight and adventures! God bless your family!

5. Randall says:

Darwin and I went to a “versus” Halloween party.

We dressed up as boxers vs briefs.

Pictures to come.

Be afraid. Be very afraid!

6. Sue says:

That “do not destervive” sign is too funny. I couldn’t stop laughing as well.

No Halloween costume for me this year.

7. elise says:

just keeping taking your daughter out on those dates and initiating hugs/your style of physical affection and affirmation. the pre-teen and teen years can become awkward between dad and daughter, as daughter starts to like boys and flirt and realizes that dad is a boy, so when dad kisses her that’s weird….it’s just a stage to get through.

or it was for me : )

8. JB says:

I too find that my kids are growing up faster than I am ready for them to! Very disterviving!

The family that karaokes together stays together. #ChoFamilyKPopFamily Family time in one of my favorite cities in the world - especially when the exchange rate is so favorable. Thank you, Vancouver, for being such a great refuge for our souls for the past 20 years. #QuestVancouver It's the day after...that day.
Be grateful. Again.
We woke up. We're alive.
Breathing. Dreaming.
Pursuing. Embodying. Loving.

Yes. Be grateful.
That you, Jesus.

Pastor Coby, Pastor Katey, Pam, Jalle, and Jasmin: We see you. We appreciate you. We are grateful for your presence and leadership at Quest and beyond. Thank you and all of our amazing volunteers Wow. So proud of our 13 year-old son. When he began the trumpet in middle school, you could say it was a little painful. But this cat has got some groove. He's taught himself the piano, guitar, and really come along on the trumpet.

Parents: Fret not if you have no musical skills. I am living proof that musical genes or the lack thereof are not passed on. #AsianMilesDavis