i am scared of the number 10 and my halloween costume letdown

Our oldest daughter turned 10 yesterday.  She was born on October 31 – Halloween – or if we want to appear more spiritual: the day before All Saint’s Day.  Perhaps for some, it’s not a big deal but our girl turning ten is a big deal for us. She is now double digits.

Time seems to be flying by for us.  Been married 11+ years. Three kids.  Quest is 7.  Q Cafe is 6. And now, our baby is entering into the pre-teen years.  It seemed like last year, she was celebrating her 3rd birthday [pic below].

She’s a wonderful and amazing girl.  Minhee and I feel so privileged to be her parents.  While we hear the occasional horror story of the turbulent teenage years, we have no fear.  While I’m sure there will be some bumps along the way, we’re excited for this year and the years to come.  It’s surreal to think that in about eight years, she’ll be off to college.  When she was about five years old, I remember disciplining her for something and consequently, she went to her room and closed the door.  Several minutes later, I went to her room and was about to open the door when I saw this sign on her door.  It took me a few seconds to get it but once I did, I couldn’t stop laughing.

*  And on a Halloween note, our family enjoyed a nice stroll in the misty Seattle weather for trick or treating in downtown Ballard, Seattle.  We then joined other families for a family fellowship at church.  I was so excited to flaunt my costume but with the exception of one random street walker, no one was really impressed.

What was I missing? I really needed the 8 gold medals around my neck.  I didn’t take any pics of my letdown costume but this is what I looked like [from a previous pic].  I was Michael Phelps.

What was your costume?

Filed under: family

1. Samuel says:

Your daughter is beautiful. Dude, where did you get those blue goggles? I’m afraid you might appear in my dream as I get ready to hit the sack.

2. janowen says:

I didn’t do anything last night but had a costume party last weekend and was the “Dancing Queen” (check out your ABBA). It was fun.

Teenage years are more emotionally wearing than the baby years……more drama, more important issues, and the like. Even if your kids are wonderful, it’s just harder as they approach adulthood. AND it makes you feel a bit old!!!

3. what an adorable kid! Congrats on her 10th, man (that sign is classic, too LOL)

4. Jenny says:

Happy Birthday to your beautiful ten year old! When our girls turned double digits, it was a big deal too. Their dad took each of them on a date to the Space Needle to celebrate the milestone. I’m glad we celebrate milestones. Now our oldest is a junior in college and living in another state. And we just took senior pictures of our youngest and are trying to slow down this last year at home with her. You are right to look forward to the teenage years (and the years to come)…they are full of delight and adventures! God bless your family!

5. Randall says:

Darwin and I went to a “versus” Halloween party.

We dressed up as boxers vs briefs.

Pictures to come.

Be afraid. Be very afraid!

6. Sue says:

That “do not destervive” sign is too funny. I couldn’t stop laughing as well.

No Halloween costume for me this year.

7. elise says:

just keeping taking your daughter out on those dates and initiating hugs/your style of physical affection and affirmation. the pre-teen and teen years can become awkward between dad and daughter, as daughter starts to like boys and flirt and realizes that dad is a boy, so when dad kisses her that’s weird….it’s just a stage to get through.

or it was for me : )

8. JB says:

I too find that my kids are growing up faster than I am ready for them to! Very disterviving!

Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest Took a train to Busan. Did not encounter any zombies but I was ready just in case.

Busan. First visit to this city (couple weeks ago) and was blown away by its beauty. Also, shocked that it has become the fifth largest containment port city in the world. That's a lot of import and export.

#MyAttemptToBeTheBestSmartphonePhotographer
#Pusan #SouthKorea

• Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 21 hours ago
  • Father, bless these Iraqi and Syrian refugee children that have already endured so much. As we pray, teach us how t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 2 days ago
  • Pray for Iraq. Pray for persecuted Church, minority groups (Yezidis) and Muslims alike who are suffering under ISIS: instagram.com/p/BZF2j6Ngrna/ || 2 days ago
  • "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." - a local Iraqi priest || 3 days ago
  • I've been traveling through Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan. Meeting local pastors/leaders, NGOs, and refugees. Join us on IG… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 3 days ago
  • Seeking justice is part of our discipleship. In other words, seek justice not just to change the world...but to be changed more like Christ. || 6 days ago