i am scared of the number 10 and my halloween costume letdown

Our oldest daughter turned 10 yesterday.  She was born on October 31 – Halloween – or if we want to appear more spiritual: the day before All Saint’s Day.  Perhaps for some, it’s not a big deal but our girl turning ten is a big deal for us. She is now double digits.

Time seems to be flying by for us.  Been married 11+ years. Three kids.  Quest is 7.  Q Cafe is 6. And now, our baby is entering into the pre-teen years.  It seemed like last year, she was celebrating her 3rd birthday [pic below].

She’s a wonderful and amazing girl.  Minhee and I feel so privileged to be her parents.  While we hear the occasional horror story of the turbulent teenage years, we have no fear.  While I’m sure there will be some bumps along the way, we’re excited for this year and the years to come.  It’s surreal to think that in about eight years, she’ll be off to college.  When she was about five years old, I remember disciplining her for something and consequently, she went to her room and closed the door.  Several minutes later, I went to her room and was about to open the door when I saw this sign on her door.  It took me a few seconds to get it but once I did, I couldn’t stop laughing.

*  And on a Halloween note, our family enjoyed a nice stroll in the misty Seattle weather for trick or treating in downtown Ballard, Seattle.  We then joined other families for a family fellowship at church.  I was so excited to flaunt my costume but with the exception of one random street walker, no one was really impressed.

What was I missing? I really needed the 8 gold medals around my neck.  I didn’t take any pics of my letdown costume but this is what I looked like [from a previous pic].  I was Michael Phelps.

What was your costume?

Filed under: family

1. Samuel says:

Your daughter is beautiful. Dude, where did you get those blue goggles? I’m afraid you might appear in my dream as I get ready to hit the sack.

2. janowen says:

I didn’t do anything last night but had a costume party last weekend and was the “Dancing Queen” (check out your ABBA). It was fun.

Teenage years are more emotionally wearing than the baby years……more drama, more important issues, and the like. Even if your kids are wonderful, it’s just harder as they approach adulthood. AND it makes you feel a bit old!!!

3. what an adorable kid! Congrats on her 10th, man (that sign is classic, too LOL)

4. Jenny says:

Happy Birthday to your beautiful ten year old! When our girls turned double digits, it was a big deal too. Their dad took each of them on a date to the Space Needle to celebrate the milestone. I’m glad we celebrate milestones. Now our oldest is a junior in college and living in another state. And we just took senior pictures of our youngest and are trying to slow down this last year at home with her. You are right to look forward to the teenage years (and the years to come)…they are full of delight and adventures! God bless your family!

5. Randall says:

Darwin and I went to a “versus” Halloween party.

We dressed up as boxers vs briefs.

Pictures to come.

Be afraid. Be very afraid!

6. Sue says:

That “do not destervive” sign is too funny. I couldn’t stop laughing as well.

No Halloween costume for me this year.

7. elise says:

just keeping taking your daughter out on those dates and initiating hugs/your style of physical affection and affirmation. the pre-teen and teen years can become awkward between dad and daughter, as daughter starts to like boys and flirt and realizes that dad is a boy, so when dad kisses her that’s weird….it’s just a stage to get through.

or it was for me : )

8. JB says:

I too find that my kids are growing up faster than I am ready for them to! Very disterviving!

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.