happy birthday, quest!

With no being fanfare, Quest celebrated our 7 year anniversary this weekend.  We had some cake to mark these seven years.  We had a big celebration at 5 years and will do another at 10 years but figured 7 was biblically important enough that we should at least have some cake.

I want to thank each person – past and present – for your friendship, partnership, and belief in what God has done through our church.  To my estimation, there have been four signifanct “seasons” at Quest so I picked out some pics for each season including our living room about 7+ years ago where we gathered for our first meeting.  Praise the Lord for his faithfulness…

Season 1 – The Planting of Quest Church.  2001-2002

• Significant Quote:  “You don’t have to, you get to…”
  • Most Difficult:  Critical Mass – tough to get past ten people.  Loneliness.  Insecurity.
  • Blessing:  Minhee’s courage and the blessings and friendships of the few.   Especially thankful to the handful of people that had the courage to join us and are still with us.

Season 2 – The Birth of Q Cafe.  2002-2003

• Significant Quote:  “We exist not only for ourselves, but for others…” and “Cafe, Culture, Community.”
  • Most Difficult:  Starting another non-profit in the first year and having to raise $80K with 40-50 people.  Stupid crazy.
  • Blessing:  Free coffee.  The commitment to “be a good neighbor.”

copy-of-oldwarehouse.jpg

copy-of-buildingcars.jpg

copy-of-_c032454.jpg

Season 3 – The Growing Years.  2003-2006

• Significant Quote: ”Church sucks…but so do you.”
  • Most difficult:  Going from a face to face culture to three services and not knowing half the people you’re teaching and shepherding.
  • Blessing:  I don’t have to do it alone.  Great staff.  Great pastors.  Great folks.  All broken and all depraved but thank God for grace.

Season 4 – The Deepening Years.  The Deepening of the Community.  Interbay Church “giving itself to Quest Church.”  Planting churches; sending out missionaries; global parnterships.  2007 – present

• Significant Quote:  Change the World.
  • Most Difficult:  Being changed.
  • Blessing:  The gift of a new building and land through an amazing gift through Interbay.

Filed under: religion,

1. Shaun King says:

Seeing these photos and reading about these 7 years is a major inspiration to me man! I am so proud of the community that has formed (and is forming). Keep pushing forward and continue reaching well beyond your grasp!

2. Dean says:

That is awesome. Praise God for the great work you’re doing. Keep living the kingdom.

3. Becky says:

“And what does the Lord require of you? But to act justly, to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God, ” Micah 6:8 this verse embodies Quest’s journey. We are so blessed to have been a part of “the growing years” of our beloved church. Happy Birthday Quest.

4. phil says:

congratulations Quest on your birthday. I remember 7 years ago when a few of us from YWAM came and helped gut the building so that you could remodel. I am happy for the way that God has moved and grown you as a church.

5. shawn kang says:

Happy Celebrations!!
    You forge paths we hope to someday cross in our future..
    Blessings to you all!

6. eugenecho says:

thx folks.

@phil: cool. i didn’t even know that.

7. Tracy says:

I would like to express my congrats to Quest Church of Seattle. It was a place for me to rest because of the season in my spiritual and christian life that I needed. And at Quest I was able to do that…without judgement or the sense that I was not part of the church’s wonderful journey and ministry. Thank you Quest!

Pastor Eugene and his wife were key to me getting out of the spiritual slump …and little do Minhee knows, I considered her one of my best’est’ of friends…not only that she prayed with me and for me & she prayed for my boys, fervently, even as she catered and service her own family needs and even others.
    It just doesn’t get any better then that…

BLESSINGS.

In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.
Pray and choose wisely.
Then invest deeply. May our compassion not just be limited to the West or to those that look like us. Lifting up the people of Iraq, Iran, and Kurdistan in prayer after the 7.3 earthquake - including the many new friends I met on a recent trip to Iraq.

The death toll rises to over 400 and over 7,000 injured in multiple cities and hundreds of villages along the Western border with Iraq.

Lord, in your mercy... We are reminded again and again...that we are Resurrection People living in a Dark Friday world.

It's been a tough, emotional, and painful week - especially as we lament the horrible tragedy of the church shootings at Sutherland Springs. In the midst of this lament, I've been carried by the hope, beauty, and promise of our baptisms last Sunday and the raw and honest testimonies of God's mercy, love, and grace.

Indeed, God is not yet done. May we take heart for Christ has overcome the world. "Without genuine relationships with the poor, we rob them of their dignity and they become mere projects. And God did not intend for anyone to become our projects." Grateful this quote from my book, Overrated, is resonating with so many folks - individuals and  NGOs. / design by @preemptivelove .
May we keep working