happy birthday, quest!

With no being fanfare, Quest celebrated our 7 year anniversary this weekend.  We had some cake to mark these seven years.  We had a big celebration at 5 years and will do another at 10 years but figured 7 was biblically important enough that we should at least have some cake.

I want to thank each person – past and present – for your friendship, partnership, and belief in what God has done through our church.  To my estimation, there have been four signifanct “seasons” at Quest so I picked out some pics for each season including our living room about 7+ years ago where we gathered for our first meeting.  Praise the Lord for his faithfulness…

Season 1 – The Planting of Quest Church.  2001-2002

• Significant Quote:  “You don’t have to, you get to…”
  • Most Difficult:  Critical Mass – tough to get past ten people.  Loneliness.  Insecurity.
  • Blessing:  Minhee’s courage and the blessings and friendships of the few.   Especially thankful to the handful of people that had the courage to join us and are still with us.

Season 2 – The Birth of Q Cafe.  2002-2003

• Significant Quote:  “We exist not only for ourselves, but for others…” and “Cafe, Culture, Community.”
  • Most Difficult:  Starting another non-profit in the first year and having to raise $80K with 40-50 people.  Stupid crazy.
  • Blessing:  Free coffee.  The commitment to “be a good neighbor.”

copy-of-oldwarehouse.jpg

copy-of-buildingcars.jpg

copy-of-_c032454.jpg

Season 3 – The Growing Years.  2003-2006

• Significant Quote: ”Church sucks…but so do you.”
  • Most difficult:  Going from a face to face culture to three services and not knowing half the people you’re teaching and shepherding.
  • Blessing:  I don’t have to do it alone.  Great staff.  Great pastors.  Great folks.  All broken and all depraved but thank God for grace.

Season 4 – The Deepening Years.  The Deepening of the Community.  Interbay Church “giving itself to Quest Church.”  Planting churches; sending out missionaries; global parnterships.  2007 – present

• Significant Quote:  Change the World.
  • Most Difficult:  Being changed.
  • Blessing:  The gift of a new building and land through an amazing gift through Interbay.

Filed under: religion,

1. Shaun King says:

Seeing these photos and reading about these 7 years is a major inspiration to me man! I am so proud of the community that has formed (and is forming). Keep pushing forward and continue reaching well beyond your grasp!

2. Dean says:

That is awesome. Praise God for the great work you’re doing. Keep living the kingdom.

3. Becky says:

“And what does the Lord require of you? But to act justly, to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God, ” Micah 6:8 this verse embodies Quest’s journey. We are so blessed to have been a part of “the growing years” of our beloved church. Happy Birthday Quest.

4. phil says:

congratulations Quest on your birthday. I remember 7 years ago when a few of us from YWAM came and helped gut the building so that you could remodel. I am happy for the way that God has moved and grown you as a church.

5. shawn kang says:

Happy Celebrations!!
    You forge paths we hope to someday cross in our future..
    Blessings to you all!

6. eugenecho says:

thx folks.

@phil: cool. i didn’t even know that.

7. Tracy says:

I would like to express my congrats to Quest Church of Seattle. It was a place for me to rest because of the season in my spiritual and christian life that I needed. And at Quest I was able to do that…without judgement or the sense that I was not part of the church’s wonderful journey and ministry. Thank you Quest!

Pastor Eugene and his wife were key to me getting out of the spiritual slump …and little do Minhee knows, I considered her one of my best’est’ of friends…not only that she prayed with me and for me & she prayed for my boys, fervently, even as she catered and service her own family needs and even others.
    It just doesn’t get any better then that…

BLESSINGS.

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 1 day ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 3 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 3 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 3 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 4 days ago
  • This is what we love to do. Empowering local, indigenous leaders to serve their own communities. Thanks for your su… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 5 days ago