happy birthday, quest!

With no being fanfare, Quest celebrated our 7 year anniversary this weekend.  We had some cake to mark these seven years.  We had a big celebration at 5 years and will do another at 10 years but figured 7 was biblically important enough that we should at least have some cake.

I want to thank each person – past and present – for your friendship, partnership, and belief in what God has done through our church.  To my estimation, there have been four signifanct “seasons” at Quest so I picked out some pics for each season including our living room about 7+ years ago where we gathered for our first meeting.  Praise the Lord for his faithfulness…

Season 1 – The Planting of Quest Church.  2001-2002

• Significant Quote:  “You don’t have to, you get to…”
  • Most Difficult:  Critical Mass – tough to get past ten people.  Loneliness.  Insecurity.
  • Blessing:  Minhee’s courage and the blessings and friendships of the few.   Especially thankful to the handful of people that had the courage to join us and are still with us.

Season 2 – The Birth of Q Cafe.  2002-2003

• Significant Quote:  “We exist not only for ourselves, but for others…” and “Cafe, Culture, Community.”
  • Most Difficult:  Starting another non-profit in the first year and having to raise $80K with 40-50 people.  Stupid crazy.
  • Blessing:  Free coffee.  The commitment to “be a good neighbor.”

copy-of-oldwarehouse.jpg

copy-of-buildingcars.jpg

copy-of-_c032454.jpg

Season 3 – The Growing Years.  2003-2006

• Significant Quote: ”Church sucks…but so do you.”
  • Most difficult:  Going from a face to face culture to three services and not knowing half the people you’re teaching and shepherding.
  • Blessing:  I don’t have to do it alone.  Great staff.  Great pastors.  Great folks.  All broken and all depraved but thank God for grace.

Season 4 – The Deepening Years.  The Deepening of the Community.  Interbay Church “giving itself to Quest Church.”  Planting churches; sending out missionaries; global parnterships.  2007 – present

• Significant Quote:  Change the World.
  • Most Difficult:  Being changed.
  • Blessing:  The gift of a new building and land through an amazing gift through Interbay.

Filed under: religion,

1. Shaun King says:

Seeing these photos and reading about these 7 years is a major inspiration to me man! I am so proud of the community that has formed (and is forming). Keep pushing forward and continue reaching well beyond your grasp!

2. Dean says:

That is awesome. Praise God for the great work you’re doing. Keep living the kingdom.

3. Becky says:

“And what does the Lord require of you? But to act justly, to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God, ” Micah 6:8 this verse embodies Quest’s journey. We are so blessed to have been a part of “the growing years” of our beloved church. Happy Birthday Quest.

4. phil says:

congratulations Quest on your birthday. I remember 7 years ago when a few of us from YWAM came and helped gut the building so that you could remodel. I am happy for the way that God has moved and grown you as a church.

5. shawn kang says:

Happy Celebrations!!
    You forge paths we hope to someday cross in our future..
    Blessings to you all!

6. eugenecho says:

thx folks.

@phil: cool. i didn’t even know that.

7. Tracy says:

I would like to express my congrats to Quest Church of Seattle. It was a place for me to rest because of the season in my spiritual and christian life that I needed. And at Quest I was able to do that…without judgement or the sense that I was not part of the church’s wonderful journey and ministry. Thank you Quest!

Pastor Eugene and his wife were key to me getting out of the spiritual slump …and little do Minhee knows, I considered her one of my best’est’ of friends…not only that she prayed with me and for me & she prayed for my boys, fervently, even as she catered and service her own family needs and even others.
    It just doesn’t get any better then that…

BLESSINGS.

Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest Took a train to Busan. Did not encounter any zombies but I was ready just in case.

Busan. First visit to this city (couple weeks ago) and was blown away by its beauty. Also, shocked that it has become the fifth largest containment port city in the world. That's a lot of import and export.

#MyAttemptToBeTheBestSmartphonePhotographer
#Pusan #SouthKorea

• Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 6 hours ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 6 hours ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 6 hours ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 2 days ago
  • Father, bless these Iraqi and Syrian refugee children that have already endured so much. As we pray, teach us how t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 4 days ago
  • Pray for Iraq. Pray for persecuted Church, minority groups (Yezidis) and Muslims alike who are suffering under ISIS: instagram.com/p/BZF2j6Ngrna/ || 4 days ago