happy birthday, quest!

With no being fanfare, Quest celebrated our 7 year anniversary this weekend.  We had some cake to mark these seven years.  We had a big celebration at 5 years and will do another at 10 years but figured 7 was biblically important enough that we should at least have some cake.

I want to thank each person – past and present – for your friendship, partnership, and belief in what God has done through our church.  To my estimation, there have been four signifanct “seasons” at Quest so I picked out some pics for each season including our living room about 7+ years ago where we gathered for our first meeting.  Praise the Lord for his faithfulness…

Season 1 – The Planting of Quest Church.  2001-2002

• Significant Quote:  “You don’t have to, you get to…”
  • Most Difficult:  Critical Mass – tough to get past ten people.  Loneliness.  Insecurity.
  • Blessing:  Minhee’s courage and the blessings and friendships of the few.   Especially thankful to the handful of people that had the courage to join us and are still with us.

Season 2 – The Birth of Q Cafe.  2002-2003

• Significant Quote:  “We exist not only for ourselves, but for others…” and “Cafe, Culture, Community.”
  • Most Difficult:  Starting another non-profit in the first year and having to raise $80K with 40-50 people.  Stupid crazy.
  • Blessing:  Free coffee.  The commitment to “be a good neighbor.”

copy-of-oldwarehouse.jpg

copy-of-buildingcars.jpg

copy-of-_c032454.jpg

Season 3 – The Growing Years.  2003-2006

• Significant Quote: ”Church sucks…but so do you.”
  • Most difficult:  Going from a face to face culture to three services and not knowing half the people you’re teaching and shepherding.
  • Blessing:  I don’t have to do it alone.  Great staff.  Great pastors.  Great folks.  All broken and all depraved but thank God for grace.

Season 4 – The Deepening Years.  The Deepening of the Community.  Interbay Church “giving itself to Quest Church.”  Planting churches; sending out missionaries; global parnterships.  2007 – present

• Significant Quote:  Change the World.
  • Most Difficult:  Being changed.
  • Blessing:  The gift of a new building and land through an amazing gift through Interbay.

Filed under: religion,

1. Shaun King says:

Seeing these photos and reading about these 7 years is a major inspiration to me man! I am so proud of the community that has formed (and is forming). Keep pushing forward and continue reaching well beyond your grasp!

2. Dean says:

That is awesome. Praise God for the great work you’re doing. Keep living the kingdom.

3. Becky says:

“And what does the Lord require of you? But to act justly, to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God, ” Micah 6:8 this verse embodies Quest’s journey. We are so blessed to have been a part of “the growing years” of our beloved church. Happy Birthday Quest.

4. phil says:

congratulations Quest on your birthday. I remember 7 years ago when a few of us from YWAM came and helped gut the building so that you could remodel. I am happy for the way that God has moved and grown you as a church.

5. shawn kang says:

Happy Celebrations!!
    You forge paths we hope to someday cross in our future..
    Blessings to you all!

6. eugenecho says:

thx folks.

@phil: cool. i didn’t even know that.

7. Tracy says:

I would like to express my congrats to Quest Church of Seattle. It was a place for me to rest because of the season in my spiritual and christian life that I needed. And at Quest I was able to do that…without judgement or the sense that I was not part of the church’s wonderful journey and ministry. Thank you Quest!

Pastor Eugene and his wife were key to me getting out of the spiritual slump …and little do Minhee knows, I considered her one of my best’est’ of friends…not only that she prayed with me and for me & she prayed for my boys, fervently, even as she catered and service her own family needs and even others.
    It just doesn’t get any better then that…

BLESSINGS.

The family that karaokes together stays together. #ChoFamilyKPopFamily Family time in one of my favorite cities in the world - especially when the exchange rate is so favorable. Thank you, Vancouver, for being such a great refuge for our souls for the past 20 years. #QuestVancouver It's the day after...that day.
Be grateful. Again.
We woke up. We're alive.
Breathing. Dreaming.
Pursuing. Embodying. Loving.

Yes. Be grateful.
That you, Jesus.

Pastor Coby, Pastor Katey, Pam, Jalle, and Jasmin: We see you. We appreciate you. We are grateful for your presence and leadership at Quest and beyond. Thank you and all of our amazing volunteers Wow. So proud of our 13 year-old son. When he began the trumpet in middle school, you could say it was a little painful. But this cat has got some groove. He's taught himself the piano, guitar, and really come along on the trumpet.

Parents: Fret not if you have no musical skills. I am living proof that musical genes or the lack thereof are not passed on. #AsianMilesDavis