a “learning conversation” with shane claiborne

Update:  Event is sold out.

I first met Shane about six years ago when we spoke at a conference together in Seattle.  All the speakers gathered at Q CAFE for some coffee and chat.  He’s since grown to be an immensely important and prophetic voice to the church and beyond.  One reason why is because there’s substance to his lifestyle and choices underlying the talk.  Agree or disagree or somewhere in between, it’s challenging, refreshing, and thought/heart provoking.

Long story short, I’m excited to welcome Shane to Quest on Sunday, November 9 [7-9.30pm].  I’m glad Shane agreed to come join us at Quest at an opportune time…the Sunday after the presidential elections.  Some of you will be overjoyed and others will be despondent.  While I care about this country and the elections, I also…don’t care because whether I like the results or not,the work of the Church will remain the same before the or after the elections.  The call and hope of the Church will remain the same.  Our hope will still rest on Jesus.

That night, we’ll worship God, Jesus, Spirit through songs.  We’ll hear from Shane as he shares some from his book, Jesus for President, and I’ll also be hosting some probing Q/A with him.  My goal is to get him to cry and jump up and down on the stage couch.

While we’d love to host these sort of events for free, our commitment is to make them as accessible as possible.  Admission is $7/person and $5/students with valid ID.  Our capacity is 300max so if you’re interested in coming, you’ll want to purchase your tickets ASAP.

His bio via Wikipedia:

Shane Claiborne is one of the founding members of a New Monastic community called The Simple Way in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. This organization was featured on the cover of Christianity Today. Claiborne is also a prominent activist for nonviolence and the redistribution of resources to the poor.

A graduate of Eastern University, where he studied sociology and youth ministry, Claiborne did his final academic work for Eastern University at Wheaton College in Illinois. While at Wheaton, Shane did an internship at Willow Creek Community Church. He has done some graduate work at Princeton Theological Seminary, but took a leave of absence, and now is a part of The Alternative Seminary in Philadelphia.

Claiborne’s outlook on ministry to the poor is often compared to Mother Teresa, whom he worked alongside with during a 10-week term in Calcutta. He spent 3 weeks in Baghdad with the Iraq Peace Team (a project of Voices in the Wilderness and Christian Peacemaker Teams). He was witness to the military bombardment of Baghdad as well as the militarized areas between Baghdad and Amman. As a member of IPT, Claiborne took daily trips to sites where there had been bombings, visited hospitals and families, and attended worship services during the war. He also continues to serve as a board member for the nation-wide Christian Community Development Association which was founded by the authors and community developers, John Perkins and Wayne Gordon.

Filed under: religion, ,

1. Blake says:

Dude, awesome. All over it!

2. Tyler says:

“While I care about this country and the elections, I also…don’t care.”

I hear ya there.

Sadly I can’t make it up north for this, though I really want to.

3. Davo says:

Love this guy and is awkward, persistent style. Sometimes he drives me absolutely nuts, but I can’t help but admire him.

4. Jeff Lam says:

i can’t stop salivating.

5. alliehope says:

Someone in Chicago (me) is turning green with envy, and it’s not a flattering color. Enjoy your night with him!

PS: any plans on putting the audio/video/whatever of your “Learning Conversations” online? Oh never mind, just saw your link to the last one. Ooops.

6. Eliacin says:

Am I reading a hint of heresy here when you say “That night, we’ll worship God, Jesus, Spirit.”

Peace,
    E.

7. Aaron says:

Unfortunately I no longer reside in the State of Washington. Will there be a podcast for folks like me?

8. Emily says:

I LOVED Jesus for President, I am so excited!!!!!!!! I will be there for sure!

9. Michael W says:

Man, by then I will have moved to Minneapolis….Cool stuff though.

10. Tyler M says:

The man teaching Evangelicals about Dorothy Day, living the works of mercy, love it.

11. alliehope says:

I love it, too, Tyler. My copy of The Irresistible Revolution is being held together by duct tape and God’s grace (is duct tape a gift of God’s grace?). He’s fantastic, and I’ve been challenged by his example in my own life. Great stuff.

12. […] November 9 – Learning Conversation with Shane Claiborne.  7-9.30pm.  $7 and $5/students.  If finances is an issue, contact the church […]

"He Makes All Things New." In other words, Christ is our eternal hope. I'm sitting in my swinging bench on the comforts of my front porch after an exhilarating and exhausting day at church. It never gets tiring, stale, or old to preach and proclaim the good news of the Gospel - not just on Resurrection Sunday but every week as we gather as the body of Christ.

But it was this picture of Coptic Christians in Egypt pouring into churches on Easter Sunday that deeply moved my heart...just a week after two churches were bombed by ISIS terrorists taking 45 lives and injuring hundreds.

Even in the face of persecution and suffering, I'm so grateful for the witness of these sisters and brothers in Christ. May they be comforted and strengthened...and wherever you are reading this post, stay encouraged. Be faithful and steadfast. Don't give up. May we keep running the race set before us as we fix our eyes on Christ.

It's not just there. It's all over the world...God is still at work. The Holy Spirit is still moving. God is not yet done. There's only one explanation:
Christ has risen! He has risen, indeed! Jesus is alive! Hallelujah! #OneChurch Remember, there is no Resurrection without the Crucifixion; No Easter Sunday without Passion Friday; No empty tomb without the Cross.

So, before we move too swiftly to the celebration of the risen Christ, may we sit at the foot of the Cross...and consider the depths of His sacrifice and love. "Oh, what love is this..." Just when we think we get what it means to follow Him, Jesus washes the feet of His disciples including...the one He knew would betray Him,

and the one that would deny him,

and the others that would abandon Him in His greatest need.

What amazing love.
What amazing grace. Oh. What. Amazing. Grace. M(inhee) + E(ugene). Not taking anything for granted. 20 years = 7300 days = 175,200 hours. A flourishing  marriage doesn't just happen. The idea that two Christians who choose to get married will produce a Christ honoring marriage is a gigantic myth. Its also extremely dangerous. The truth is that it takes so much intentionality and work. Intimacy definitely includes physical touch but is not only about physical touch. We have to pray, read, listen, learn, mutually submit, confess, forgive, repent, laugh, dream, rest, play, and the list goes on.

In other words, we have to keep Christ at the center because it's inevitable, there's a lot of messing up. So much messing up. It's both beautiful and painful and without grace, it's impossible.

Grateful. Thank you, Jesus, for your grace. And thank you, Minhee...

• Take heart. Press on. Be encouraged. Christ is still risen. || 1 day ago
  • It's not Easter. Crowds may be smaller. But may we preach the Gospel w/ deep conviction; That we truly believe that the tomb is still empty. || 1 day ago
  • Looking for a church in Seattle? Join us tomorrow to hear a word from this woman of God. The tomb is still empty! twitter.com/LizVerHage/sta… || 1 day ago
  • The degradation of our environment impacts all but the reality is that poor communities suffer most...perpetuating the injustice of poverty. || 1 day ago
  • Caring for God's creation should always be part of our stewardship. In other words, it's not optional but an essential part of discipleship. || 1 day ago
  • Fantastic @CTmagazine piece about @gailsongbantum, Executive Pastor @SeattleQuest. Inspired by her story/leadership: christianitytoday.com/women-leaders/… || 3 days ago