a “learning conversation” with shane claiborne

Update:  Event is sold out.

I first met Shane about six years ago when we spoke at a conference together in Seattle.  All the speakers gathered at Q CAFE for some coffee and chat.  He’s since grown to be an immensely important and prophetic voice to the church and beyond.  One reason why is because there’s substance to his lifestyle and choices underlying the talk.  Agree or disagree or somewhere in between, it’s challenging, refreshing, and thought/heart provoking.

Long story short, I’m excited to welcome Shane to Quest on Sunday, November 9 [7-9.30pm].  I’m glad Shane agreed to come join us at Quest at an opportune time…the Sunday after the presidential elections.  Some of you will be overjoyed and others will be despondent.  While I care about this country and the elections, I also…don’t care because whether I like the results or not,the work of the Church will remain the same before the or after the elections.  The call and hope of the Church will remain the same.  Our hope will still rest on Jesus.

That night, we’ll worship God, Jesus, Spirit through songs.  We’ll hear from Shane as he shares some from his book, Jesus for President, and I’ll also be hosting some probing Q/A with him.  My goal is to get him to cry and jump up and down on the stage couch.

While we’d love to host these sort of events for free, our commitment is to make them as accessible as possible.  Admission is $7/person and $5/students with valid ID.  Our capacity is 300max so if you’re interested in coming, you’ll want to purchase your tickets ASAP.

His bio via Wikipedia:

Shane Claiborne is one of the founding members of a New Monastic community called The Simple Way in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. This organization was featured on the cover of Christianity Today. Claiborne is also a prominent activist for nonviolence and the redistribution of resources to the poor.

A graduate of Eastern University, where he studied sociology and youth ministry, Claiborne did his final academic work for Eastern University at Wheaton College in Illinois. While at Wheaton, Shane did an internship at Willow Creek Community Church. He has done some graduate work at Princeton Theological Seminary, but took a leave of absence, and now is a part of The Alternative Seminary in Philadelphia.

Claiborne’s outlook on ministry to the poor is often compared to Mother Teresa, whom he worked alongside with during a 10-week term in Calcutta. He spent 3 weeks in Baghdad with the Iraq Peace Team (a project of Voices in the Wilderness and Christian Peacemaker Teams). He was witness to the military bombardment of Baghdad as well as the militarized areas between Baghdad and Amman. As a member of IPT, Claiborne took daily trips to sites where there had been bombings, visited hospitals and families, and attended worship services during the war. He also continues to serve as a board member for the nation-wide Christian Community Development Association which was founded by the authors and community developers, John Perkins and Wayne Gordon.

Filed under: religion, ,

1. Blake says:

Dude, awesome. All over it!

2. Tyler says:

“While I care about this country and the elections, I also…don’t care.”

I hear ya there.

Sadly I can’t make it up north for this, though I really want to.

3. Davo says:

Love this guy and is awkward, persistent style. Sometimes he drives me absolutely nuts, but I can’t help but admire him.

4. Jeff Lam says:

i can’t stop salivating.

5. alliehope says:

Someone in Chicago (me) is turning green with envy, and it’s not a flattering color. Enjoy your night with him!

PS: any plans on putting the audio/video/whatever of your “Learning Conversations” online? Oh never mind, just saw your link to the last one. Ooops.

6. Eliacin says:

Am I reading a hint of heresy here when you say “That night, we’ll worship God, Jesus, Spirit.”

Peace,
    E.

7. Aaron says:

Unfortunately I no longer reside in the State of Washington. Will there be a podcast for folks like me?

8. Emily says:

I LOVED Jesus for President, I am so excited!!!!!!!! I will be there for sure!

9. Michael W says:

Man, by then I will have moved to Minneapolis….Cool stuff though.

10. Tyler M says:

The man teaching Evangelicals about Dorothy Day, living the works of mercy, love it.

11. alliehope says:

I love it, too, Tyler. My copy of The Irresistible Revolution is being held together by duct tape and God’s grace (is duct tape a gift of God’s grace?). He’s fantastic, and I’ve been challenged by his example in my own life. Great stuff.

12. […] November 9 – Learning Conversation with Shane Claiborne.  7-9.30pm.  $7 and $5/students.  If finances is an issue, contact the church […]

Everyone loves the idea of  reconciliation...until it involves truthtelling, confessing, repenting, dismantling, forgiving, and peacemaking. Charlottesville. So heartbreaking and infuriating. We weep and mourn over the hatred in the hearts of these white nationalists. We weep and mourn but we can't be defeated.

As I stare at this photo that's making its round on the internet, I'm reminded of the utter importance of showing up. I'm grateful for the news media, law enforcement, clergy, and peaceful protesters that are currently there to report, protect, pray, and protest.

And this is an invitation to us. May we not be mere bystanders. May we keep pressing forward. Seek justice. Love mercy. Walk humbly. Commit to truth-telling, justice, reconciliation, peacemaking. Follow the ways of Christ. Every day. And it's important to note that we don't have to go to Charlottesville to do this. In fact, it's more important that we do this exactly where we're at. May we live out the call to reconciliation in our churches, workplaces, neighborhoods, schools, and around our dining tables. Lord, may it be so... We don't have to go to Charlottesville to do this. We have to do this wherever were called to be.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” ~ Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. /// Thanks to those who let me know that the photo wasn't actually from today but rather from last month in Charlottesville. - https://www.facebook.com/FrankSomervilleKTVU/posts/1551137301616258:0 Grateful for a spontaneous, last minute trip with Minhee to my old stomping grounds - San Francisco. 48 hours of visiting this special city that I called home for so many years.

Pic 1: Went to the Cliff House restaurant where we got engaged about 21 years ago to make out. Oops, sorry, I meant...to reflect on God's faithfulness over these many years.

Pic 2: Walked across the Golden Gate Bridge because it's such an iconic place - with some of the most incredible views.

Pic 3: Enjoyed a glass of some Cabernet Sauvignon and pretended to be wine connoisseurs at a vineyard.

Pic 4: Had lunch at my favorite Chinese restaurant, Sam Tung, which boasts some of the best chicken in the country. And of course, we ate at In-n-out.

Pic 5: And finally, celebrated with the good folks at @thefreedomstory where @onedayswages received their annual Freedom Award. What an honor.

Grateful. Thankful for this sabbatical. Breathe.

Show yourself some grace.

We can't do everything for everyone in every situation. Do what you can and do it with a joyful heart.

Amen A family that eats sushi together stays together.

Seriously, I don't ever remember eating so much as a teenager but these kids eat and eat and eat. Perhaps, the reason why this kid is pushing 6 feet tall. Grateful for a special treat with the family at @JaponessaSeattle. I'm sharing an obligatory, "I love and appreciate my wife, she's amazing" photo. Also...because I did something naughty...or brilliant. ;) Seattle is in the midst of a crazy heatwave. Near 100 degrees, hazy, and humid. An excessive heat advisory warning has also been issued.

So, Minhee and I needed to run some errands. It waa horrible but sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do. It's also known as adulting.

So, I'm driving and the air conditioning seems to have minimal effect. Minhee is in the passenger's seat and umm, when she's not paying attention, I turn on her seat heater to 5 - the highest level. All along, she's complaining about how hot she is...for nearly an hour...until she finally realizes what I did.

Bam. Boom. Gotcha.

Minhee, I love you!

• RT @mrmedina: When Bryan Stevenson speaks, we do well to listen. https://t.co/o5GJD0KWR2 || 12 hours ago
  • "Mourn with those who mourn." Lifting up the people of Sierra Leone in prayers. Hundreds dead and many more missing… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 14 hours ago
  • Dear Barcelona: We are so sorry. We mourn the violence and tragedy in your beautiful city. We pray for healing and yearn for peace. Amen. || 1 day ago
  • Love wins in the end but meanwhile, it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Seek God's Kingdom. || 2 days ago
  • In response to racism, folks often say, "It's a sin issue." Yes...but don't be naive. Sin creates sinful systems: youtube.com/watch?v=LEbUa0… || 3 days ago
  • Everyone loves the idea of reconciliation...until it involves truthtelling, confessing, repenting, dismantling, forgiving, and peacemaking. || 5 days ago