a “learning conversation” with shane claiborne

Update:  Event is sold out.

I first met Shane about six years ago when we spoke at a conference together in Seattle.  All the speakers gathered at Q CAFE for some coffee and chat.  He’s since grown to be an immensely important and prophetic voice to the church and beyond.  One reason why is because there’s substance to his lifestyle and choices underlying the talk.  Agree or disagree or somewhere in between, it’s challenging, refreshing, and thought/heart provoking.

Long story short, I’m excited to welcome Shane to Quest on Sunday, November 9 [7-9.30pm].  I’m glad Shane agreed to come join us at Quest at an opportune time…the Sunday after the presidential elections.  Some of you will be overjoyed and others will be despondent.  While I care about this country and the elections, I also…don’t care because whether I like the results or not,the work of the Church will remain the same before the or after the elections.  The call and hope of the Church will remain the same.  Our hope will still rest on Jesus.

That night, we’ll worship God, Jesus, Spirit through songs.  We’ll hear from Shane as he shares some from his book, Jesus for President, and I’ll also be hosting some probing Q/A with him.  My goal is to get him to cry and jump up and down on the stage couch.

While we’d love to host these sort of events for free, our commitment is to make them as accessible as possible.  Admission is $7/person and $5/students with valid ID.  Our capacity is 300max so if you’re interested in coming, you’ll want to purchase your tickets ASAP.

His bio via Wikipedia:

Shane Claiborne is one of the founding members of a New Monastic community called The Simple Way in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. This organization was featured on the cover of Christianity Today. Claiborne is also a prominent activist for nonviolence and the redistribution of resources to the poor.

A graduate of Eastern University, where he studied sociology and youth ministry, Claiborne did his final academic work for Eastern University at Wheaton College in Illinois. While at Wheaton, Shane did an internship at Willow Creek Community Church. He has done some graduate work at Princeton Theological Seminary, but took a leave of absence, and now is a part of The Alternative Seminary in Philadelphia.

Claiborne’s outlook on ministry to the poor is often compared to Mother Teresa, whom he worked alongside with during a 10-week term in Calcutta. He spent 3 weeks in Baghdad with the Iraq Peace Team (a project of Voices in the Wilderness and Christian Peacemaker Teams). He was witness to the military bombardment of Baghdad as well as the militarized areas between Baghdad and Amman. As a member of IPT, Claiborne took daily trips to sites where there had been bombings, visited hospitals and families, and attended worship services during the war. He also continues to serve as a board member for the nation-wide Christian Community Development Association which was founded by the authors and community developers, John Perkins and Wayne Gordon.

Filed under: religion, ,

1. Blake says:

Dude, awesome. All over it!

2. Tyler says:

“While I care about this country and the elections, I also…don’t care.”

I hear ya there.

Sadly I can’t make it up north for this, though I really want to.

3. Davo says:

Love this guy and is awkward, persistent style. Sometimes he drives me absolutely nuts, but I can’t help but admire him.

4. Jeff Lam says:

i can’t stop salivating.

5. alliehope says:

Someone in Chicago (me) is turning green with envy, and it’s not a flattering color. Enjoy your night with him!

PS: any plans on putting the audio/video/whatever of your “Learning Conversations” online? Oh never mind, just saw your link to the last one. Ooops.

6. Eliacin says:

Am I reading a hint of heresy here when you say “That night, we’ll worship God, Jesus, Spirit.”

Peace,
    E.

7. Aaron says:

Unfortunately I no longer reside in the State of Washington. Will there be a podcast for folks like me?

8. Emily says:

I LOVED Jesus for President, I am so excited!!!!!!!! I will be there for sure!

9. Michael W says:

Man, by then I will have moved to Minneapolis….Cool stuff though.

10. Tyler M says:

The man teaching Evangelicals about Dorothy Day, living the works of mercy, love it.

11. alliehope says:

I love it, too, Tyler. My copy of The Irresistible Revolution is being held together by duct tape and God’s grace (is duct tape a gift of God’s grace?). He’s fantastic, and I’ve been challenged by his example in my own life. Great stuff.

12. […] November 9 – Learning Conversation with Shane Claiborne.  7-9.30pm.  $7 and $5/students.  If finances is an issue, contact the church […]

You can do it, sun. Break through the clouds. I love her. Saturday morning date at Pike Market with @minheejcho. Enjoying the final day of sun before 6 months of rain and gray. Not lol'ing. Some of my moat memorable travels have been to Myanmar (otherwise known as Burma). In fact, the vision of @onedayswages began on my first visit to this country in 2006. On a recent visit, I began learning about the Rohingya people. Sadly, it has escalated to horrendous, genocidal proportions.

Thus far, about 500,000 people have been driven out from Myanmar through violence...with most going to Bangledesh...regulated to a massive refugee camp. Stateless. Undocumented. Minority groups. Dehumanized. Homes and villages destroyed. And so much more unspeakable atrocities.

Yes, it's complex and messy. It always is. But the root of this injustice as the case for so much brokeness in the world is the sin of dehumanizing one anotber as..."the other." May we see each person, including the Rohingya people, as one who is created in the image of God. It's the truth and the remedy to the incessant dehumanization that goes on in our world.

Lord, in your mercy. The obedience of discipleship which includes the work of justice is a marathon. It's long, arduous, and emotional. Be tenacious. But also take care of yourself. Create healthy rhythms. Don't burn out. We need you for the marathon. Friends, don't give up. Press on. In the midst of so much chaos in the world, may we continue to cling to the hope of the whole Gospel. May we cling unto Jesus:

Way maker!
Miracle worker!
Promise keeper!
Light in the darkness!
That is who You are!

What an encounter with the Holy Spirit at @seattlequest today. Grateful for our worship team, the gospel choir, and the Audio/Visual team. Thank you Matt, Teresita, and Chris. Please thank all the volunteers for us. .
The world is broken.
But God is not yet done.
God's work of restoration