final presidential debate and joe the plumber

I wasn’t planning on watching the final debate tonight since the 2nd one was such a yawner.  But tonight’s final debate was actually very good. Kudos to Bob Schaeffer.  Both Obama and McCain were impressive and while, Obama fans won’t agree, I think McCain “won” this debate.  What were your thoughts?  Any undecided voters swayed tonight?

And speaking of the debate, I have a picture of Joe the Plumber from Ohio [below].  [update: here’s the real scoop on Joe.]  And why not any love for Jane the Plumber?

Here are my status updates from tonight’s debate:

• Lots of talk on Joe the Plumber.  How about Cho the Pastor?
  • Love the questions in tonight’s debate.  Great question re: negative campaigning.
  • Stunned that Obama became a terrorist at 8 years old.
  • Eugene needs to come clean:  I am Joe the Plumber.

With the last status line, here are the comments in response to: “Eugene needs to come clean: I am Joe the Plumber.”:

RMS: I KNEW IT!
GO:  As Jane the Plumber, I’m feeling a little left out of the discussion.
JD:  you make that much money?
eugene: sorry jane, you know what the bible says:  only men can be plumbers.
GO: Even if I wear a head covering along with my tool belt?
MW: you are from ohio?  i am so sorry.
SH:  do you come with the butt crack as well?
eugene:  i work betwen party lines and cracks.
JD: the american people want to hear more about Joe. why is Joe being forgotten now? Senators, i beg you to go from town hall to town hall on behalf of Joe the Plumber. or Eugene the Pastor.
eugene:  @GO:  sorry.  i’ll say it again.  only men are allowed to be plumbers.  women plumbers are the reason for the moral decline of this country.
JD:  we cannot afford the temptation afforded by more lady-plumbers’ cracks!
GO: All this money I’ve invested in going to plumber school and getting a plumbing degree… wasted! I want a refund

Filed under: politics, , ,

1. rjjrdq says:

8 years old. What’s this country coming to? Joe! Is that you?

2. jas dye says:

hey, i’m JD.

alas, i am not J the P. although that may very well be me in that pic.

3. Sam says:

As a plumber, I take offense at that picture. You’re perpetuating a bad stereotype of plumberism. I’m going to invite all my plumber friends to boycott your blog!

4. delia says:

Actually, the real “Joe the Plumber” (Joe Wurzelbacher) had an interview and his picture is here (he thinks you are all posers;P) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/15/joe-the-plumber-speaks-it_n_135065.html

5. delia says:

I am an Obama supporter but I tend to agree with you that McCain won the debate tonight. I think he appeared more relaxed (except in a couple of instances when he clenched his jaw) and overall looked much more focused. I don’t think this his win will have too much of an impact (or I guess I am hoping it won’t).

6. gar says:

McCain was definitely more aggressive in tonight’s debate, though I wouldn’t call it a “win”. Seemed more like a draw tonight, with most of the points being the same ones that have been made.

I did like the question about the negative campaigning, though. It provoked some interesting discussion.

Sadly, the last thing I’ll remember is McCain’s awkward, last minute jab at Obama when him laughing… by himself. That’s when I had to acknowledge that while I had a lot of respect for John McCain as a US Senator, he’s lost it as “presidential candidate” John McCain in my eyes…

7. Aaron says:

Joe, please pull up your pants. Say no to crack.

I missed the very beginning of the debate. Personally it seemed like McCain started out really strong (when I started watching)… but then it just became the same round and round, here we go again ordeal. McCain makes broad statements about how Obama voted on specific bills, Obama specifically cites why he voted a certain way. McCain stated Obama will raise taxes, Obama refutes that he will not raise taxes for most. McCain points out how the health care plan will cost small businesses, Obama refutes. It seems like McCain is giving the same arguments and getting the same rebuttals. He has not been able to convincingly sell me on his policies, and every time he points the finger at Obama there seems to be a solid answer.

It is almost painful for me to watch McCain… I respect him and I want to see him at least do well. In some ways I feel guilty that I am not leaning towards him… I deeply admire his service in the military and politics.

8. Tracey says:

Obama was way cool tonight. He seemed like he was in total control. McCain came out swinging and continued swinging but looked desperate but I have to say that his line that Obama was not running against Bush was really good. I agree that McCain won the debate on points but in light of the lead, it’s simply not enough.

9. Clem says:

here’s a possible lead to follow…

Joseph Wurzelbacher is a plumber (works with septic tanks) from Ohio .

“Wurzelbacher Brothers” is a septic tank company in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Robert M Wurzelbacher and his wife, both based in Cincinnati have donated regularly to Republicans. They donated the maximum amount allowed to the “FRIENDS OF PHIL GRAMM PAC.”

Phil Gramm was co-chair of John McCain”s presidential campaign and his most senior economic adviser.

A certain Robert M. Wurzelbacher Jr is the son in law of Charles H. Keating Jr. The same Mr. Keating famous for the Keating 5 scandal… in which John McCain was heavily implicated.

All of this could be a coincidence.

A COINCIDENCE WORTH INVESTIGATING.

10. Kacie says:

yeah… having been wearied by a lot of evangelicals that I care about telling me that as a Christian I should not ever vote for Obama, I have pulled away from politics in the past few weeks. I caught the second half of the debate and was reminded again why I like Obama, even when I disagree with him.

11. Robert Lewis says:

Joe the Plumber’s real name

webofdeception.com

12. Kari Byrd says:

I agree, the debate was actually interesting last night! Well, at least it had some interesting moments. I’m not sure I agree that McCain won. He looked like he was about ready to explode at some points. I got nervous for him. And all of the eye rolling was weird. He didn’t really say anything new though. One thing that stuck out to me was when he used air quotes to talk about the importance of the health of the mother during pregnancy. Yikes.

I can’t wait to see what SNL does with Joe the Plumber tonight!

13. merge divide says:

“McCain was completely incapable of sustaining any momentum, and clumsily returned again and again to his “Joe the Plumber” gimmick. It was clear that John had “jumped the shark” when he began talking directly to the unseen “Joe”, and congratulating him for being “rich”. I think he realized too that he had blown his “last best chance”. His eyes started flittering back and forth like he was lost and scared, and he began to make the faces that have been the source of so much speculation regarding his temperament and stability.”

Read more at SERENDIPITY.

14. Ben C says:

McCain didn’t “win” this debate. He just did better than his first two.

He was awkward, not presidential, and looked frustrated/desperate.

15. Learning says:

I would say that Obama did well and Mccain did better than his previous 2 debates. I would say it was a tie. The thing with Obama is that he is so good at presentation ( looking calm, making his points, sticking to his argument, etc…) I think him being an ex professor as well as a lawyer shows. He’s like a slick salesman who studies his target market and knows exactly what to say and when to say it and how to say it with the right tone.

Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. Thanks for your prayers.
I have numerous stories to share but for now, the following came up in every conversation with Iraqi/Syrian refugees:

1 Have tea with us. Or coffee. Or juice. Or something with lots of sugar in it. Or better yet, all of the above.
2 We want peace. We want security.
3 We hate ISIS.
4 We just want to go home.
5 Please don't forget us.

Please don't forget them... Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest

• Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 2 days ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 2 days ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 2 days ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 4 days ago
  • Father, bless these Iraqi and Syrian refugee children that have already endured so much. As we pray, teach us how t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 6 days ago
  • Pray for Iraq. Pray for persecuted Church, minority groups (Yezidis) and Muslims alike who are suffering under ISIS: instagram.com/p/BZF2j6Ngrna/ || 6 days ago