god understands

In our cynical world, the words “God loves you” may sound trite, overused, and childish but nevertheless, it is the truth.  And so, I remind you again:  God loves you and He understands…

Check out this simple video of a 13 year old boy explaining God’s love.  So simple and profound…

Logan is a 13 year-old boy who lives on a ranch in a very small town in Nebraska. Logan listens to Christian Radio station 89.3FM KSBJ which broadcasts from Houston, TX. Logan called the radio station distraught because he had to take down a calf . His words have wisdom beyond his years.

Filed under: religion

1. DD says:

Well, okay. That’s nice little exchange between a radio guy with a deep, melodious voice and a young kid with breakfast waiting for him on the table — “Be there in a second, mom.” His sniffles and voice are touching … “ah, gee whiz.” Would that life and such wisdom came from touching utube videos. It rarely does.

I get, at least intellectually but only partially, the macro ideas of God … “Look what God did to his very own son. You see, God’s been there, too. So God must have a purpose in this. Don’t worry. He’ll show you.” The macro ideas make sense some of the time anyway, alhtough it’s not particularly comforting when bad things happen.

It’s the micro level of stuff that I find utterly stupefying. It’s baffling to me why God took the life of the 6-year-old son of my Zambian pastor friend. I have no idea why. The whole church fasted and prayed and begged God to spare the boy’s life and the child still died. I just don’t get it, not for a one second.

We see through a glass darkly, and a sweet little guy from Nebraska on utube really doesn’t make the water clearer.

2. Sue says:

DD,

I don’t think the video was shared to say that everything is perfect and clear to us. Just a reminder that while things are unclear to us, God still is in control.

3. chad m says:

wow.
    amazing insight into child-like faith.
    enough said.

4. Aaron says:

For some time these words did seem trite… now they seem profound. This is truth I will never comprehend.

5. eugenecho says:

@dd, good questions. the video doesn’t assuage my personal concerns and doubt it sometime encounter on the micro level and on occassion, the macro level. nearly every month, there’s some sort of crisis in the church community i have the privilege to be a part of.

and each time, i sense that while things don’t turn out the way that i or others want, i sense that nearness of God. it gives me peace.

but when that day comes, i will have many questions.

6. Jim C. says:

We don’t live in a perfect world. I never had anything like that happen in my life, DD, so I guess I don’t really understand. But from Scripture, I know that GOD is blameless and perfect. Please just trust Him.

These are crazy, turbulent times. Fight the good fight. Run the race set before us.

But we also need you for the long haul. Don't burn out. Discipleship and justice work is a marathon. Learn to take care of yourself. Don't play the victim. It's far too tempting to blame others. Be rooted in prayer, Scripture, and community. It's okay to pause, critical to rest and retreat, and godly to practice Sabbath.

#NoteToSelf Everyone loves the idea of  reconciliation...until it involves truthtelling, confessing, repenting, dismantling, forgiving, and peacemaking. Charlottesville. So heartbreaking and infuriating. We weep and mourn over the hatred in the hearts of these white nationalists. We weep and mourn but we can't be defeated.

As I stare at this photo that's making its round on the internet, I'm reminded of the utter importance of showing up. I'm grateful for the news media, law enforcement, clergy, and peaceful protesters that are currently there to report, protect, pray, and protest.

And this is an invitation to us. May we not be mere bystanders. May we keep pressing forward. Seek justice. Love mercy. Walk humbly. Commit to truth-telling, justice, reconciliation, peacemaking. Follow the ways of Christ. Every day. And it's important to note that we don't have to go to Charlottesville to do this. In fact, it's more important that we do this exactly where we're at. May we live out the call to reconciliation in our churches, workplaces, neighborhoods, schools, and around our dining tables. Lord, may it be so... We don't have to go to Charlottesville to do this. We have to do this wherever were called to be.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” ~ Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. /// Thanks to those who let me know that the photo wasn't actually from today but rather from last month in Charlottesville. - https://www.facebook.com/FrankSomervilleKTVU/posts/1551137301616258:0 Grateful for a spontaneous, last minute trip with Minhee to my old stomping grounds - San Francisco. 48 hours of visiting this special city that I called home for so many years.

Pic 1: Went to the Cliff House restaurant where we got engaged about 21 years ago to make out. Oops, sorry, I meant...to reflect on God's faithfulness over these many years.

Pic 2: Walked across the Golden Gate Bridge because it's such an iconic place - with some of the most incredible views.

Pic 3: Enjoyed a glass of some Cabernet Sauvignon and pretended to be wine connoisseurs at a vineyard.

Pic 4: Had lunch at my favorite Chinese restaurant, Sam Tung, which boasts some of the best chicken in the country. And of course, we ate at In-n-out.

Pic 5: And finally, celebrated with the good folks at @thefreedomstory where @onedayswages received their annual Freedom Award. What an honor.

Grateful. Thankful for this sabbatical. Breathe.

Show yourself some grace.

We can't do everything for everyone in every situation. Do what you can and do it with a joyful heart.

Amen A family that eats sushi together stays together.

Seriously, I don't ever remember eating so much as a teenager but these kids eat and eat and eat. Perhaps, the reason why this kid is pushing 6 feet tall. Grateful for a special treat with the family at @JaponessaSeattle.