in loving memory of amy boyd

Quest hosted a memorial service yesterday [between the 2nd & 3rd service] for Amy [in red sweater] who at the age of 89, past away couple weeks ago to be reunited with Jesus.

She joined Quest via the church merger.  Despite the “changes” in church including much louder music and longer sermons, she was always at Quest whenever her body allowed her to join us.  I didn’t know Amy very well but had an opportunity to chat with her for about 2 hours a few months ago when I visited her at the hospital. She fell in the church’s parking lot and broke her hip.  My conversation with her was honestly one of the highlights of this past year for me.  She shared so much joy, wisdom, and hope in Christ.  I will never forget that conversation.

I was deeply encouraged today when her caretaker came up to me after the memorial service and said:

“Reverend Cho.  I want you to know that Amy thought so highly of you and your wife.  She enjoyed your wife coming over to her home for crafts and conversation…”

We will miss her at Quest Church and I look forward to further conversations with Amy someday.  Here is a glimpse of her amazing life:

Amy born on Vashon, Washington on June 8, 1919, was the sixth of eight children born to August and Gertie, Norwegian pioneers who farmed their homestead after moving from Minnesota in 1903. Amy graduated from Vashon High School in 1936.  Like her sisters before her, after high school graduation Amy worked on the family farm for one year. She then moved to Seattle and took over various positions held by her sisters before her, the first being a live-in domestic position with Dexter H’s widow, where sister Laura had worked, and later as a waitress at the Dolly Madison Tea Room, where sister Ella had worked. While working part time, Amy attended Peterson School of Business, which prepared her for wartime jobs at the Port of Embarkation in the Smith Tower and at the War Production Board.

Amy officially met her future husband when a ferry captain on the Vashon route turned matchmaker and invited Amy and William “Bill” Boyd to stay on the ferry for its end of day trip to the oil docks. The rest, as they say, is history. Bill, a 1939 Vashon High School graduate, married Amy on November 3, 1945 while on leave from the Army in a candlelight service at Colvos Lutheran Church on Vashon. During their 56 years of marriage, Bill and Amy raised four children.  In addition to being a wife and mother, Amy had various part time positions and retired in 1990 from Interbay Covenant Church (now Quest Church) where she served as church secretary for more than 20 years and “trained” a multitude of pastors.

After Bill’s passing in 2001, Amy continued to live in the family home.  In 2003, Amy had an unsuccessful cataract surgery, which rendered her legally blind.  Although 84 years of age, Amy did not allow this new condition to define her. An avid reader, Amy continued “reading” by listening daily to books on tape. She listened to CNN and rarely missed Larry King’s nightly interviews. She kept track of everything, including the whereabouts of her purse 24 hours a day. She always looked her best and never had to watch her weight even though freely eating cookies and peppermint candy with daily afternoon tea. She liked nothing more than visiting with guests around her dining room table, often serving pastries from Larsen’s bakery in Ballard.  Amy visited with friends and family up to the very day of her passing. She was blessed with six grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. Amy loved well and was well-loved.

Filed under: family, religion

1. sam says:

God bless Amy and her long fruitful life!!!

2. […] case you need a reminder.   Blogger / Pastor Eugene Cho writes about Amy Boyd, a long time member of his church.  It’s certainly worth a […]

3. pjchris says:

PE,
    I appreciated you pointing out Amy’s picture during the service two Sundays ago. It was important to put her face with her name. Amy and Bill were so much part of the fabric of Interbay and Amy was so willing to warp her arms around Quest as well. I have no doubt that Bill was waiting at Jesus side to welcome her home. “Well done, good and faithful servant”. We will miss you, Amy.

4. DerekMc says:

What a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing it! It is good to see that Quest church is multi-generational. One of the great privileges of ministry is to be in relationship with people like Amy. I can list quite a few that have gone on to their time of rest, all of them saints, and leaving a lasting legacy in their communities of faith.

5. andrea nelson says:

Reverend Cho,
    Thanks so much for your note on remembering my grandma Amy Boyd. She loved Interbay and then was happy to see it grow with the merge of the two churches. She appreciated all that you have done there as well as Paster Ray. We often heard of you, your wife and your kids. She loved the activity that went on there. Thanks so much for making her feel welcome as well as the family on Sunday as it was the church we all grew up in and were then reunited with the church family of past and present generations. Keep up the great work you and God are doing in the church. The Boyd family is quite proud of Interbay Quest.
    Blessings,
    Andrea Nelson

6. eugenecho says:

@andrea: thanks so much for visiting the blog and your comment.

minhee and i were loved by amy and we certainly appreciated her presence in our family and church. we were blown away at the number of folks that came to honor her life at the memorial celebration.

7. Aaron Soderlund says:

Hi Eugene,
    Thanks for writing your article about Grandma Amy. As Andrea, my sister, (the post above) said, we grew up attending Interbay whenever we stayed at her house and for Christmas Eve services as long as I can remember, and we used that basement area for family Christmas events – I think we got to use it because we had an “in” with the church office lady. The service was actually my first time INSIDE since it had become Quest. And despite the sadness that obviously goes along with the loss of a family member, there is such hope and joy in death with Jesus. And there is almost no place better to associate grandma with than Interbay/Quest which played such a huge part in Grandpa Bill and Grandma Amy’s lives. Thank you for writing your blog about our grandma. We obviously know her story, but it’s not as if she was the most vocal lady around in the past 5 years or so. So it’s wonderful to know that other people get to learn a little about a large figure in my life. Thank you for being there for the service. Also, I hope we can catch up again soon sometime as well.

Thanks,
    Aaron

8. Barb Boyd says:

Pastor Eugene,
    The week before my mom passed away, she asked her friend Heather to explain what a “blog” was because she heard about your blog on Sundays at Quest. How do you explain to someone who is 89 and blind what a blog is? My mom kept up on a lot of things but it was really difficult for her to understand things that had totally changed technologically in her lifetime and especially since she had lost her sight. She is no doubt enjoying being mentioned on your blog and is flashing us one of her famous smiles from above now that she is in heaven, now that she can see again, and now that she really “gets” what a blog is!! Thanks for honoring her. Barb

9. eugenecho says:

aaron/barb:

thanks for stopping by the blog.

as you all know, amy was special. i had heard so much how she has trained all the interbay pastors for so many years. and while i never had the privilege of being “trained” by her at the office, i can’t tell you how much i thoroughly enjoyed that afternoon chat with her months ago when she was resting at the hospital.

i remember the exact day. i was on my way to visit her when seattle it started snowing very heavy. i was going to return home but decided to keep going. one of the best decisions…had a great time with amy. really refreshed my soul at a time when i really needed refreshing.

god bless you both and your families…

10. Heather Pann says:

I lived with Amy for two years when I first moved to Seattle. We grew to be the best of friends. The 50+ age difference didn’t matter at all. As you know from your conversation with her, Amy was intelligent, full-of-life and rooted very deeply in her faith. She was also an amazing prayer warrior. About two years ago, I was given guardianship of my then 14-year old cousin. It was not an easy transition but Amy prayed for us faithfully. She was our haven. Every Friday night Amy opened her heart and her home to Brooke and her friends. We ate pizza, watched movies and did our nails. Amy participated in all of the activities and made a special point of visiting with the teenagers. At the end of last school year, we were unsure about whether Brooke would be returning this fall. When she said good-bye to Amy in June, it was with a heavy heart, but Amy said, “I am not going to say good-bye because I think you will be back in September.” Amy prayed throughout the summer and sure enough, one day before school started I picked my cousin up at the airport. Brooke is fond of telling everyone that her “Grandma” Amy prayed her back to Seattle.
    We miss her but what a legacy she left us. Thank you for remembering her in your blog. ~Heather

"He must become greater; I must become less." - John 3:30 We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on.