“you don’t have to be scared…”

Clearly, there are political and worldview differences, but I’m really tired of the questioning of the “patriotism” of the respective candidates; I’m weary of the constant “otherizing” that’s going on that further increases the level of unwarranted fear and misinformation/rumors about respective candidates.  Check out the video below and the woman who says, “I can’t trust him..um..I read about him…he’s an Arab.”

It’s both comical and disturbing.  But alas, I’m thankful to Senator McCain for clearly communicating to paranoid folks in his camp that “you don’t have to be scared of Senator Obama.  I’d be the better president but you don’t have to be scared of him.”  Kudos to Senator McCain.

Obama acknowledged and thanked McCain:

During his four stop swing around the city of Philadelphia Saturday morning, Barack Obama acknowledged John McCain’s efforts to “tone down the rhetoric” on the campaign trail.

I appreciated his reminder that we can disagree while still being respectful of each other. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again — Senator McCain has served this country with honor, and he deserves our thanks for that,” Obama told a north Philadelphia crowd, to a mix of heavy boos and cheers.

At an event Friday in Minnesota McCain referred to Obama as a “decent person,” and praised him as a “family man” after two voters expressed fear over Obama being elected. [full article]

When you hear about all these boos, I guess some folks who commented on the entry about negative campaigning are right:  Some people just love it.

Filed under:

1. Aaron says:

I agree that this is an upstanding and respectable approach to politics. To acknowledge neither candidate is a bad person, they just differ on how to bring about good in this world.

At the same time, they do campaign on fear… fear of higher taxes, or fear of prolonged war. I suppose some of them are legitimate fears, but it seems each candidate chooses one fear and really runs with it….. I am tired of voting based on fear… I hope others are too.

2. Sue says:

I really wish we could have had an angle on that woman’s face.

3. Brian says:

True, but the problem is that McCain (and Obama, but I suspect it less from him, because he is not behind in the polls, therefore not getting as desperate) may take the high road on camera and even in private, but he hasn’t asked his campaign workers to stop the subtle racist campaign “slips” (“you can’t trust Barak OSAMA…er I mean Obama”) These are the new attacking ads that McCain will be running….he HAS to know his team is doing this, but he is remaining silent. That, to me, is cowardly. Especially for a man of such great courage and strength, exemplified by his extraordinary service to our country. McCain is better than that, and I hope that he rises up and stops it.

It will be interesting to see how Obama spins his half-hour ads in a couple weeks…

I disagree that both are operating out of fear. Obama has been all about hope and looking ahead, even getting criticized for lofty/hopeful rhetoric…I think Obama got sucked in (by the ‘game’ AND his own choosing, which is sad) to the fear talk once the debates started. Debates force people to get defensive, which isn’t my favorite way to see politicians, but at least we get to see them “under fire” for 90 minutes, given the fact being the Pres means being under fire 🙂

4. yarrrr says:

“”””
    “”””

to infanticide…

5. gar says:

While I appreciate Senator McCain’s effort to keep the dialogue respectful, his campaign as a whole bears responsibility for escalating the name-calling against Obama, primarily the “terrorist” accusation.

Check out the video of McCain/Palin supporters here:

Scary stuff.

6. Aaron says:

yarr… fear of prolonged war, fear of the rich getting richer, fear of no health care, fear of no economic change… whether or not these are legitimate or not, he plays to them.

7. Jordyne says:

I watched this over and over again. It is sickening to me that anyone could not trust someone because of their nationality, ethnicity, or race! How can you be so arrogant? That lady needs to spend her time reading some books and less time at political conventions.

As much as I dislike Mccain, I have to hand it to him that when I watched this, I repeatedly said, “Good for him”. I love that he grabbed the microphone out of her hand. I wish politics would start standing up for the individual more and less for the platform.

8. jas dye says:

aaron,

i think that yarrr was saying that obama supports infanticide.

unless you’re a pirate and not trying to correct yarrr…

9. Ben C says:

these are two amazing human beings. look at their vitae – it is astounding what they’ve done in their lives, especially for McCain.

the equalizer here is the political game. they need to numb and dumb down their resume to relate to the every day american joe schmoe and hockey mom out there.

i like and respect both men running for president as utterly accomplished human beings, but mccain’s decision to select palin as his running mate was an obvious sell out of all that he said he stood for in his books and speeches.

his justification in his head may well be i truly believe i am the best president to-be, i believe that, so i will do whatever it takes to get there so i’m going to bet big on palin to help get me there because i need a direct shot in the veins to even have a fighting chance. i will take this huge risk to sacrifice who i said i stand for so that i can get myself into the oval office because I would make a better president than obama.

not really wrong, but not right enough.

10. Sue says:

I’m not really appreciating Palin’s comments on the campaign. Read something on NY Times where most politicians are trying to convince Americans that they are like the average American. The problem with Palin is that, well, she’s literally like an average American.

11. Dan Hauge says:

It does disappoint me how many do really seem to like the negative campaigning, as you allude to at the end. I’ve spoken with a couple good friends recently who have kind of alarmed me with their ‘take no prisoners’ attitude–and I agree with their candidate! Once any of us, no matter what side, move into a ‘win by any means necessary’ mentality, where the end is seen to justify any means, then we ensure and propagate more superficial, nasty campaigning in the future.

12. DK says:

How about the Obama and Osama mistake on the presidential absentee ballot?The “b” and the “s” is pretty far apart on the keyboard. Seems pretty BS to me.

13. Bret says:

Wow…you seem to have left out the Obama supporters who spray painted “republican=slavery” on the GOP HQ.

Or how about the tshirts worn by Obama supporters that said “Palin is a C**t”…forget that one too??

How about the dem strategist who claimed there would be race riots of Obama loses just last week?

How about this wonderful video, showing how truly diverse and open to opinions Obama supporters are:

14. Sue says:

Bret, You are one interesting person. You only show up to spew your anti-Obama rhetoric. Simply amazing. And you didn’t even quote the Bible this time.

15. eugenecho says:

@bret: hey, i think it’s time for you to start your own blog. you certainly have lots of opinions. good luck to you.

Nothing grows by itself. If something matters to us, may we be intentional about growing it.

Invest. Pray. Plant. Water. Nurture. Repeat. God sees and knows us. In fact, God knows everything about us.

Not just the good we try so hard to project but even the mess we often seek to hide.

Let this soak in: Not only are we fully known but in Christ, we are fully pursued and loved.

This is grace.
Amazing grace. Hairstyles change. Sideburn fads come and go but may our commitment to love, honor, respect, and be on mission together for Christ never waver.

Thank you, Minhee. I love you so much even if you made fun of my hairstyle and sideburns. I missed you, Seattle. Grateful for a time to pray, rest, retreat, read, reflect, and sabbath. I've spent the last 12 days in the woods alone. Competely alone. It's been both haunting and refreshing. Haunting because of loneliness. Refreshing because through the silence, I am reminded - again - that I'm not alone. Emmanuel.

Also, bought myself a cheap kayak and loving the solitude time in nature. Also, the kayak is paying instant dividends in my bass fishing game. #sabbathrest #bassfishing #catchandrelease There's nothing selfish about rest and self-care. We can't give what we don't have. Experience life and we'll be life-giving to others. Amen.

#NoteToSelf