“you don’t have to be scared…”

Clearly, there are political and worldview differences, but I’m really tired of the questioning of the “patriotism” of the respective candidates; I’m weary of the constant “otherizing” that’s going on that further increases the level of unwarranted fear and misinformation/rumors about respective candidates.  Check out the video below and the woman who says, “I can’t trust him..um..I read about him…he’s an Arab.”

It’s both comical and disturbing.  But alas, I’m thankful to Senator McCain for clearly communicating to paranoid folks in his camp that “you don’t have to be scared of Senator Obama.  I’d be the better president but you don’t have to be scared of him.”  Kudos to Senator McCain.

Obama acknowledged and thanked McCain:

During his four stop swing around the city of Philadelphia Saturday morning, Barack Obama acknowledged John McCain’s efforts to “tone down the rhetoric” on the campaign trail.

I appreciated his reminder that we can disagree while still being respectful of each other. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again — Senator McCain has served this country with honor, and he deserves our thanks for that,” Obama told a north Philadelphia crowd, to a mix of heavy boos and cheers.

At an event Friday in Minnesota McCain referred to Obama as a “decent person,” and praised him as a “family man” after two voters expressed fear over Obama being elected. [full article]

When you hear about all these boos, I guess some folks who commented on the entry about negative campaigning are right:  Some people just love it.

Filed under:

1. Aaron says:

I agree that this is an upstanding and respectable approach to politics. To acknowledge neither candidate is a bad person, they just differ on how to bring about good in this world.

At the same time, they do campaign on fear… fear of higher taxes, or fear of prolonged war. I suppose some of them are legitimate fears, but it seems each candidate chooses one fear and really runs with it….. I am tired of voting based on fear… I hope others are too.

2. Sue says:

I really wish we could have had an angle on that woman’s face.

3. Brian says:

True, but the problem is that McCain (and Obama, but I suspect it less from him, because he is not behind in the polls, therefore not getting as desperate) may take the high road on camera and even in private, but he hasn’t asked his campaign workers to stop the subtle racist campaign “slips” (“you can’t trust Barak OSAMA…er I mean Obama”) These are the new attacking ads that McCain will be running….he HAS to know his team is doing this, but he is remaining silent. That, to me, is cowardly. Especially for a man of such great courage and strength, exemplified by his extraordinary service to our country. McCain is better than that, and I hope that he rises up and stops it.

It will be interesting to see how Obama spins his half-hour ads in a couple weeks…

I disagree that both are operating out of fear. Obama has been all about hope and looking ahead, even getting criticized for lofty/hopeful rhetoric…I think Obama got sucked in (by the ‘game’ AND his own choosing, which is sad) to the fear talk once the debates started. Debates force people to get defensive, which isn’t my favorite way to see politicians, but at least we get to see them “under fire” for 90 minutes, given the fact being the Pres means being under fire 🙂

4. yarrrr says:

“”””
    “”””

to infanticide…

5. gar says:

While I appreciate Senator McCain’s effort to keep the dialogue respectful, his campaign as a whole bears responsibility for escalating the name-calling against Obama, primarily the “terrorist” accusation.

Check out the video of McCain/Palin supporters here:

Scary stuff.

6. Aaron says:

yarr… fear of prolonged war, fear of the rich getting richer, fear of no health care, fear of no economic change… whether or not these are legitimate or not, he plays to them.

7. Jordyne says:

I watched this over and over again. It is sickening to me that anyone could not trust someone because of their nationality, ethnicity, or race! How can you be so arrogant? That lady needs to spend her time reading some books and less time at political conventions.

As much as I dislike Mccain, I have to hand it to him that when I watched this, I repeatedly said, “Good for him”. I love that he grabbed the microphone out of her hand. I wish politics would start standing up for the individual more and less for the platform.

8. jas dye says:

aaron,

i think that yarrr was saying that obama supports infanticide.

unless you’re a pirate and not trying to correct yarrr…

9. Ben C says:

these are two amazing human beings. look at their vitae – it is astounding what they’ve done in their lives, especially for McCain.

the equalizer here is the political game. they need to numb and dumb down their resume to relate to the every day american joe schmoe and hockey mom out there.

i like and respect both men running for president as utterly accomplished human beings, but mccain’s decision to select palin as his running mate was an obvious sell out of all that he said he stood for in his books and speeches.

his justification in his head may well be i truly believe i am the best president to-be, i believe that, so i will do whatever it takes to get there so i’m going to bet big on palin to help get me there because i need a direct shot in the veins to even have a fighting chance. i will take this huge risk to sacrifice who i said i stand for so that i can get myself into the oval office because I would make a better president than obama.

not really wrong, but not right enough.

10. Sue says:

I’m not really appreciating Palin’s comments on the campaign. Read something on NY Times where most politicians are trying to convince Americans that they are like the average American. The problem with Palin is that, well, she’s literally like an average American.

11. Dan Hauge says:

It does disappoint me how many do really seem to like the negative campaigning, as you allude to at the end. I’ve spoken with a couple good friends recently who have kind of alarmed me with their ‘take no prisoners’ attitude–and I agree with their candidate! Once any of us, no matter what side, move into a ‘win by any means necessary’ mentality, where the end is seen to justify any means, then we ensure and propagate more superficial, nasty campaigning in the future.

12. DK says:

How about the Obama and Osama mistake on the presidential absentee ballot?The “b” and the “s” is pretty far apart on the keyboard. Seems pretty BS to me.

13. Bret says:

Wow…you seem to have left out the Obama supporters who spray painted “republican=slavery” on the GOP HQ.

Or how about the tshirts worn by Obama supporters that said “Palin is a C**t”…forget that one too??

How about the dem strategist who claimed there would be race riots of Obama loses just last week?

How about this wonderful video, showing how truly diverse and open to opinions Obama supporters are:

14. Sue says:

Bret, You are one interesting person. You only show up to spew your anti-Obama rhetoric. Simply amazing. And you didn’t even quote the Bible this time.

15. eugenecho says:

@bret: hey, i think it’s time for you to start your own blog. you certainly have lots of opinions. good luck to you.

"He must become greater; I must become less." - John 3:30 We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on.