“you don’t have to be scared…”

Clearly, there are political and worldview differences, but I’m really tired of the questioning of the “patriotism” of the respective candidates; I’m weary of the constant “otherizing” that’s going on that further increases the level of unwarranted fear and misinformation/rumors about respective candidates.  Check out the video below and the woman who says, “I can’t trust him..um..I read about him…he’s an Arab.”

It’s both comical and disturbing.  But alas, I’m thankful to Senator McCain for clearly communicating to paranoid folks in his camp that “you don’t have to be scared of Senator Obama.  I’d be the better president but you don’t have to be scared of him.”  Kudos to Senator McCain.

Obama acknowledged and thanked McCain:

During his four stop swing around the city of Philadelphia Saturday morning, Barack Obama acknowledged John McCain’s efforts to “tone down the rhetoric” on the campaign trail.

I appreciated his reminder that we can disagree while still being respectful of each other. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again — Senator McCain has served this country with honor, and he deserves our thanks for that,” Obama told a north Philadelphia crowd, to a mix of heavy boos and cheers.

At an event Friday in Minnesota McCain referred to Obama as a “decent person,” and praised him as a “family man” after two voters expressed fear over Obama being elected. [full article]

When you hear about all these boos, I guess some folks who commented on the entry about negative campaigning are right:  Some people just love it.

Filed under:

1. Aaron says:

I agree that this is an upstanding and respectable approach to politics. To acknowledge neither candidate is a bad person, they just differ on how to bring about good in this world.

At the same time, they do campaign on fear… fear of higher taxes, or fear of prolonged war. I suppose some of them are legitimate fears, but it seems each candidate chooses one fear and really runs with it….. I am tired of voting based on fear… I hope others are too.

2. Sue says:

I really wish we could have had an angle on that woman’s face.

3. Brian says:

True, but the problem is that McCain (and Obama, but I suspect it less from him, because he is not behind in the polls, therefore not getting as desperate) may take the high road on camera and even in private, but he hasn’t asked his campaign workers to stop the subtle racist campaign “slips” (“you can’t trust Barak OSAMA…er I mean Obama”) These are the new attacking ads that McCain will be running….he HAS to know his team is doing this, but he is remaining silent. That, to me, is cowardly. Especially for a man of such great courage and strength, exemplified by his extraordinary service to our country. McCain is better than that, and I hope that he rises up and stops it.

It will be interesting to see how Obama spins his half-hour ads in a couple weeks…

I disagree that both are operating out of fear. Obama has been all about hope and looking ahead, even getting criticized for lofty/hopeful rhetoric…I think Obama got sucked in (by the ‘game’ AND his own choosing, which is sad) to the fear talk once the debates started. Debates force people to get defensive, which isn’t my favorite way to see politicians, but at least we get to see them “under fire” for 90 minutes, given the fact being the Pres means being under fire 🙂

4. yarrrr says:

“”””
    “”””

to infanticide…

5. gar says:

While I appreciate Senator McCain’s effort to keep the dialogue respectful, his campaign as a whole bears responsibility for escalating the name-calling against Obama, primarily the “terrorist” accusation.

Check out the video of McCain/Palin supporters here:

Scary stuff.

6. Aaron says:

yarr… fear of prolonged war, fear of the rich getting richer, fear of no health care, fear of no economic change… whether or not these are legitimate or not, he plays to them.

7. Jordyne says:

I watched this over and over again. It is sickening to me that anyone could not trust someone because of their nationality, ethnicity, or race! How can you be so arrogant? That lady needs to spend her time reading some books and less time at political conventions.

As much as I dislike Mccain, I have to hand it to him that when I watched this, I repeatedly said, “Good for him”. I love that he grabbed the microphone out of her hand. I wish politics would start standing up for the individual more and less for the platform.

8. jas dye says:

aaron,

i think that yarrr was saying that obama supports infanticide.

unless you’re a pirate and not trying to correct yarrr…

9. Ben C says:

these are two amazing human beings. look at their vitae – it is astounding what they’ve done in their lives, especially for McCain.

the equalizer here is the political game. they need to numb and dumb down their resume to relate to the every day american joe schmoe and hockey mom out there.

i like and respect both men running for president as utterly accomplished human beings, but mccain’s decision to select palin as his running mate was an obvious sell out of all that he said he stood for in his books and speeches.

his justification in his head may well be i truly believe i am the best president to-be, i believe that, so i will do whatever it takes to get there so i’m going to bet big on palin to help get me there because i need a direct shot in the veins to even have a fighting chance. i will take this huge risk to sacrifice who i said i stand for so that i can get myself into the oval office because I would make a better president than obama.

not really wrong, but not right enough.

10. Sue says:

I’m not really appreciating Palin’s comments on the campaign. Read something on NY Times where most politicians are trying to convince Americans that they are like the average American. The problem with Palin is that, well, she’s literally like an average American.

11. Dan Hauge says:

It does disappoint me how many do really seem to like the negative campaigning, as you allude to at the end. I’ve spoken with a couple good friends recently who have kind of alarmed me with their ‘take no prisoners’ attitude–and I agree with their candidate! Once any of us, no matter what side, move into a ‘win by any means necessary’ mentality, where the end is seen to justify any means, then we ensure and propagate more superficial, nasty campaigning in the future.

12. DK says:

How about the Obama and Osama mistake on the presidential absentee ballot?The “b” and the “s” is pretty far apart on the keyboard. Seems pretty BS to me.

13. Bret says:

Wow…you seem to have left out the Obama supporters who spray painted “republican=slavery” on the GOP HQ.

Or how about the tshirts worn by Obama supporters that said “Palin is a C**t”…forget that one too??

How about the dem strategist who claimed there would be race riots of Obama loses just last week?

How about this wonderful video, showing how truly diverse and open to opinions Obama supporters are:

14. Sue says:

Bret, You are one interesting person. You only show up to spew your anti-Obama rhetoric. Simply amazing. And you didn’t even quote the Bible this time.

15. eugenecho says:

@bret: hey, i think it’s time for you to start your own blog. you certainly have lots of opinions. good luck to you.

Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. Thanks for your prayers.
I have numerous stories to share but for now, the following came up in every conversation with Iraqi/Syrian refugees:

1 Have tea with us. Or coffee. Or juice. Or something with lots of sugar in it. Or better yet, all of the above.
2 We want peace. We want security.
3 We hate ISIS.
4 We just want to go home.
5 Please don't forget us.

Please don't forget them... Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest

• Boom. Final fishing trip. Grateful. A nice way to end my 3 month sabbatical. #catchandrelease twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 20 hours ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 21 hours ago
  • Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 3 days ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 3 days ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 3 days ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 6 days ago