“you don’t have to be scared…”

Clearly, there are political and worldview differences, but I’m really tired of the questioning of the “patriotism” of the respective candidates; I’m weary of the constant “otherizing” that’s going on that further increases the level of unwarranted fear and misinformation/rumors about respective candidates.  Check out the video below and the woman who says, “I can’t trust him..um..I read about him…he’s an Arab.”

It’s both comical and disturbing.  But alas, I’m thankful to Senator McCain for clearly communicating to paranoid folks in his camp that “you don’t have to be scared of Senator Obama.  I’d be the better president but you don’t have to be scared of him.”  Kudos to Senator McCain.

Obama acknowledged and thanked McCain:

During his four stop swing around the city of Philadelphia Saturday morning, Barack Obama acknowledged John McCain’s efforts to “tone down the rhetoric” on the campaign trail.

I appreciated his reminder that we can disagree while still being respectful of each other. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again — Senator McCain has served this country with honor, and he deserves our thanks for that,” Obama told a north Philadelphia crowd, to a mix of heavy boos and cheers.

At an event Friday in Minnesota McCain referred to Obama as a “decent person,” and praised him as a “family man” after two voters expressed fear over Obama being elected. [full article]

When you hear about all these boos, I guess some folks who commented on the entry about negative campaigning are right:  Some people just love it.

Filed under:

1. Aaron says:

I agree that this is an upstanding and respectable approach to politics. To acknowledge neither candidate is a bad person, they just differ on how to bring about good in this world.

At the same time, they do campaign on fear… fear of higher taxes, or fear of prolonged war. I suppose some of them are legitimate fears, but it seems each candidate chooses one fear and really runs with it….. I am tired of voting based on fear… I hope others are too.

2. Sue says:

I really wish we could have had an angle on that woman’s face.

3. Brian says:

True, but the problem is that McCain (and Obama, but I suspect it less from him, because he is not behind in the polls, therefore not getting as desperate) may take the high road on camera and even in private, but he hasn’t asked his campaign workers to stop the subtle racist campaign “slips” (“you can’t trust Barak OSAMA…er I mean Obama”) These are the new attacking ads that McCain will be running….he HAS to know his team is doing this, but he is remaining silent. That, to me, is cowardly. Especially for a man of such great courage and strength, exemplified by his extraordinary service to our country. McCain is better than that, and I hope that he rises up and stops it.

It will be interesting to see how Obama spins his half-hour ads in a couple weeks…

I disagree that both are operating out of fear. Obama has been all about hope and looking ahead, even getting criticized for lofty/hopeful rhetoric…I think Obama got sucked in (by the ‘game’ AND his own choosing, which is sad) to the fear talk once the debates started. Debates force people to get defensive, which isn’t my favorite way to see politicians, but at least we get to see them “under fire” for 90 minutes, given the fact being the Pres means being under fire 🙂

4. yarrrr says:

“”””
    “”””

to infanticide…

5. gar says:

While I appreciate Senator McCain’s effort to keep the dialogue respectful, his campaign as a whole bears responsibility for escalating the name-calling against Obama, primarily the “terrorist” accusation.

Check out the video of McCain/Palin supporters here:

Scary stuff.

6. Aaron says:

yarr… fear of prolonged war, fear of the rich getting richer, fear of no health care, fear of no economic change… whether or not these are legitimate or not, he plays to them.

7. Jordyne says:

I watched this over and over again. It is sickening to me that anyone could not trust someone because of their nationality, ethnicity, or race! How can you be so arrogant? That lady needs to spend her time reading some books and less time at political conventions.

As much as I dislike Mccain, I have to hand it to him that when I watched this, I repeatedly said, “Good for him”. I love that he grabbed the microphone out of her hand. I wish politics would start standing up for the individual more and less for the platform.

8. jas dye says:

aaron,

i think that yarrr was saying that obama supports infanticide.

unless you’re a pirate and not trying to correct yarrr…

9. Ben C says:

these are two amazing human beings. look at their vitae – it is astounding what they’ve done in their lives, especially for McCain.

the equalizer here is the political game. they need to numb and dumb down their resume to relate to the every day american joe schmoe and hockey mom out there.

i like and respect both men running for president as utterly accomplished human beings, but mccain’s decision to select palin as his running mate was an obvious sell out of all that he said he stood for in his books and speeches.

his justification in his head may well be i truly believe i am the best president to-be, i believe that, so i will do whatever it takes to get there so i’m going to bet big on palin to help get me there because i need a direct shot in the veins to even have a fighting chance. i will take this huge risk to sacrifice who i said i stand for so that i can get myself into the oval office because I would make a better president than obama.

not really wrong, but not right enough.

10. Sue says:

I’m not really appreciating Palin’s comments on the campaign. Read something on NY Times where most politicians are trying to convince Americans that they are like the average American. The problem with Palin is that, well, she’s literally like an average American.

11. Dan Hauge says:

It does disappoint me how many do really seem to like the negative campaigning, as you allude to at the end. I’ve spoken with a couple good friends recently who have kind of alarmed me with their ‘take no prisoners’ attitude–and I agree with their candidate! Once any of us, no matter what side, move into a ‘win by any means necessary’ mentality, where the end is seen to justify any means, then we ensure and propagate more superficial, nasty campaigning in the future.

12. DK says:

How about the Obama and Osama mistake on the presidential absentee ballot?The “b” and the “s” is pretty far apart on the keyboard. Seems pretty BS to me.

13. Bret says:

Wow…you seem to have left out the Obama supporters who spray painted “republican=slavery” on the GOP HQ.

Or how about the tshirts worn by Obama supporters that said “Palin is a C**t”…forget that one too??

How about the dem strategist who claimed there would be race riots of Obama loses just last week?

How about this wonderful video, showing how truly diverse and open to opinions Obama supporters are:

14. Sue says:

Bret, You are one interesting person. You only show up to spew your anti-Obama rhetoric. Simply amazing. And you didn’t even quote the Bible this time.

15. eugenecho says:

@bret: hey, i think it’s time for you to start your own blog. you certainly have lots of opinions. good luck to you.

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 10 hours ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 2 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 2 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 2 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 3 days ago
  • This is what we love to do. Empowering local, indigenous leaders to serve their own communities. Thanks for your su… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 3 days ago