seattle really sucks

Seattle is the antithesis of Boston – when in comes to sports.  While they boast in excellence and champions, Seattle sports teams have been absolutely horrible.  I don’t recall being in any city with such pathetic performance and fan morale.  Don’t believe me?

• [Baseball] The Seattle Mariners, who many expected to contend for the West Division title finished the season about 450 games behind the Los Angeles Angels.  Absolutely pathetic.  Absolutely last with a payroll of 90+million dollars.  They picked up some free agents this past year that made Bobby Ayala look good.
  • [Women’s Basketball] The Seattle Storm with their two Olympic players[Bird and Jackson] had a mediocre season and exited in the first round of the playoffs – again.  Sad.
  • [College Football] The Washington Huskies football team is winless this season.  Zero.  Zilch.  Nada.  Nothing.  And as much as I like Ty Willingham, he won’t be back…and actually might not make it to the end of the season.  Geez, weren’t they in the Rose Bowl not that long ago?
  • [NFL Football] The Seattle Seahawks got absolutely embarrassed yesterday by the New York Giants.  They lost 44-6.  No, that wasn’t a typo.  And after 4 games, they are now 1-3.  Pathetic.  What’s even more pathetic is that they’ll likely end up 8-8 and win the NFC West.  Super pathetic.

But, alas, there’s hope.  At least the NBA is right around the corner and there’s potential with the Supersonics and Durant, Green, Collison, etc.

Oh, wait…crap….we don’t even have an NBA team anymore.  Well, at least, church attendance is going to be up this winter with sports teams so pathetic here in Seattle.

Wow, we really suck.

Filed under: sports,

1. Erik says:

Tyrone Willingham better be gone ASAP. I think they’re hanging him out to dry so they have every reason to fire him. They’re letting him run the program his way, which is obviously not working.

Hey, you forgot about the Huskies men’s basketball team. They should return to the Big Dance this year.

2. Tyler says:

couldn’t agree more.

3. irene says:

hahahahahahaaaa — i was totally dumbfounded by the giants game yesterday. even though i was cheering for the giants. i mean, the hawks just went to the superbowl a few years ago! (sorry, i was cheering for the steelers then, too, despite the “stolen” win. maybe i suck.)

4. Dustin Cross says:

Does this mean that my wife and I can afford to go to a $eahawks game this year? Nah, good tickets still cost at least $150 each

5. danw says:

And yet. . .the M’s still had some of the highest attendance in all of major league baseball, the Seahawks still sell out every game. We must be suckers for punishment. Yesterday made me glad I had better things to do (say, preach and share the Lord’s Supper) than watch football games.

6. eugenecho says:

@erik: huskies basketball? they haven’t even gotten into the NIT recently.

@dustin: i don’t even think about football games. crazy prices. but baseball tix were cheap on craigslist when we went.

7. chenster22 says:

well, the huskies bball team has some good guards coming in, which i believe was our major achille’s heel the past few years.

meh, it’s been quite depressing.,

8. gar says:

The only thing more depressing than the weather in Seattle… the sports teams.

Ummm… go Seattle Mist?

9. Erik says:

Eugene, two words, Isaiah Thomas. This kid is for real. Husky BBall is headed in the right direction, Husky football, um…. yeah

10. eugenecho says:

@erik: i want a good basketball team. 7 solid players. not one prep who’s going to book after 1 season.

11. Oliver Jen says:

hi Eugene,

no question it is pretty dreary place to be for a sports fan these days. It’s a few months old, but did you happen to catch this story? These athletes are homegrown and remind me why I was a sports fan to begin with. =)

12. Jake says:

Woh there. What do you mean by “pathetic fan morale.” Do you simply mean we are bummed, cuz you’d be right, but if you mean to besmirch the loyalty of Seattle sports fans I believe you’d be wrong. The Seattle fan has been through the worst year ever, but still is perseveres. The Hawks continue to be sold out, people still show up to husky games, and the Mariners still had a respectable attendance for one of the worst years in team history. Nothing pathetic about the Seattle sports fan.

13. Oliver Jen says:

Maybe you’re looking in the wrong places? It’s not really criticism; I would call myself a pretty informed sports fan, but I’ve recently found the best stories in sports are rarely found in the pros.

Like this one a few months ago about CWU softball team. Hometown athletes, too.

Or some of Rick Reilly’s stuff:

I think his stories, mostly the ones about high school kids and other ordinary folks in sports, really illuminate the reason why people love sports to begin with…

14. eugenecho says:

OJ: high school sports are great. and i live 1/2 mile to ballard high so might need to enjoy that a little more.

15. “Withhold not good from them to whom it is due, when it is in the power of thine hand to do it.”— Proverbs 3:27

Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest Took a train to Busan. Did not encounter any zombies but I was ready just in case.

Busan. First visit to this city (couple weeks ago) and was blown away by its beauty. Also, shocked that it has become the fifth largest containment port city in the world. That's a lot of import and export.

#MyAttemptToBeTheBestSmartphonePhotographer
#Pusan #SouthKorea

• Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 13 hours ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 13 hours ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 13 hours ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 2 days ago
  • Father, bless these Iraqi and Syrian refugee children that have already endured so much. As we pray, teach us how t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 4 days ago
  • Pray for Iraq. Pray for persecuted Church, minority groups (Yezidis) and Muslims alike who are suffering under ISIS: instagram.com/p/BZF2j6Ngrna/ || 4 days ago