seattle really sucks

Seattle is the antithesis of Boston – when in comes to sports.  While they boast in excellence and champions, Seattle sports teams have been absolutely horrible.  I don’t recall being in any city with such pathetic performance and fan morale.  Don’t believe me?

• [Baseball] The Seattle Mariners, who many expected to contend for the West Division title finished the season about 450 games behind the Los Angeles Angels.  Absolutely pathetic.  Absolutely last with a payroll of 90+million dollars.  They picked up some free agents this past year that made Bobby Ayala look good.
  • [Women’s Basketball] The Seattle Storm with their two Olympic players[Bird and Jackson] had a mediocre season and exited in the first round of the playoffs – again.  Sad.
  • [College Football] The Washington Huskies football team is winless this season.  Zero.  Zilch.  Nada.  Nothing.  And as much as I like Ty Willingham, he won’t be back…and actually might not make it to the end of the season.  Geez, weren’t they in the Rose Bowl not that long ago?
  • [NFL Football] The Seattle Seahawks got absolutely embarrassed yesterday by the New York Giants.  They lost 44-6.  No, that wasn’t a typo.  And after 4 games, they are now 1-3.  Pathetic.  What’s even more pathetic is that they’ll likely end up 8-8 and win the NFC West.  Super pathetic.

But, alas, there’s hope.  At least the NBA is right around the corner and there’s potential with the Supersonics and Durant, Green, Collison, etc.

Oh, wait…crap….we don’t even have an NBA team anymore.  Well, at least, church attendance is going to be up this winter with sports teams so pathetic here in Seattle.

Wow, we really suck.

Filed under: sports,

1. Erik says:

Tyrone Willingham better be gone ASAP. I think they’re hanging him out to dry so they have every reason to fire him. They’re letting him run the program his way, which is obviously not working.

Hey, you forgot about the Huskies men’s basketball team. They should return to the Big Dance this year.

2. Tyler says:

couldn’t agree more.

3. irene says:

hahahahahahaaaa — i was totally dumbfounded by the giants game yesterday. even though i was cheering for the giants. i mean, the hawks just went to the superbowl a few years ago! (sorry, i was cheering for the steelers then, too, despite the “stolen” win. maybe i suck.)

4. Dustin Cross says:

Does this mean that my wife and I can afford to go to a $eahawks game this year? Nah, good tickets still cost at least $150 each

5. danw says:

And yet. . .the M’s still had some of the highest attendance in all of major league baseball, the Seahawks still sell out every game. We must be suckers for punishment. Yesterday made me glad I had better things to do (say, preach and share the Lord’s Supper) than watch football games.

6. eugenecho says:

@erik: huskies basketball? they haven’t even gotten into the NIT recently.

@dustin: i don’t even think about football games. crazy prices. but baseball tix were cheap on craigslist when we went.

7. chenster22 says:

well, the huskies bball team has some good guards coming in, which i believe was our major achille’s heel the past few years.

meh, it’s been quite depressing.,

8. gar says:

The only thing more depressing than the weather in Seattle… the sports teams.

Ummm… go Seattle Mist?

9. Erik says:

Eugene, two words, Isaiah Thomas. This kid is for real. Husky BBall is headed in the right direction, Husky football, um…. yeah

10. eugenecho says:

@erik: i want a good basketball team. 7 solid players. not one prep who’s going to book after 1 season.

11. Oliver Jen says:

hi Eugene,

no question it is pretty dreary place to be for a sports fan these days. It’s a few months old, but did you happen to catch this story? These athletes are homegrown and remind me why I was a sports fan to begin with. =)

12. Jake says:

Woh there. What do you mean by “pathetic fan morale.” Do you simply mean we are bummed, cuz you’d be right, but if you mean to besmirch the loyalty of Seattle sports fans I believe you’d be wrong. The Seattle fan has been through the worst year ever, but still is perseveres. The Hawks continue to be sold out, people still show up to husky games, and the Mariners still had a respectable attendance for one of the worst years in team history. Nothing pathetic about the Seattle sports fan.

13. Oliver Jen says:

Maybe you’re looking in the wrong places? It’s not really criticism; I would call myself a pretty informed sports fan, but I’ve recently found the best stories in sports are rarely found in the pros.

Like this one a few months ago about CWU softball team. Hometown athletes, too.

Or some of Rick Reilly’s stuff:

I think his stories, mostly the ones about high school kids and other ordinary folks in sports, really illuminate the reason why people love sports to begin with…

14. eugenecho says:

OJ: high school sports are great. and i live 1/2 mile to ballard high so might need to enjoy that a little more.

15. “Withhold not good from them to whom it is due, when it is in the power of thine hand to do it.”— Proverbs 3:27