batman – the dark knight

Am I the only person in the civilized world that has yet to see The Dark Knight?  Every person that has seen the film says only great things about the film.  So, couple questions for you:

1. On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate the Dark Knight?
  2. Does it rank in your Top 10 movies of all time?
  3. And if you answered Question #2, you must answer this question.  What film do you remove from that list to accomodate the Dark Knight?

Now, I have to be honest here.  Like others, I couldn’t wait to see the film but when the film was released, I was still in Korea and they were releasing the film later than the States.  But in a moment of weakness and personal depravity, I couldn’t help myself and bought a bootleg DVD of the movie for $2.  It was available on the streets couple days after the release in the United States.  But the quality of the DVD was so bad, I had to stop watching after 10 minutes.

And despite being back in the States, I have yet to see the film but was told today that it’s still playing at the Seattle IMAX theater at the Pacific Science Center.  I need to find time to go.  But in case I don’t, at least there’s this kid version:

Filed under: entertainment, ,

1. matt says:

Dark Knight was a 8.5 for me. it was completely engaging, and it had many twists and turns that it kept me thinking. what lowered it is the usual comic book cheesiness, in most comic book movies.

top 10? probably not.

2. gar says:

1. Probably an 8… even higher if you compare it only to other “superhero” films.

2. It’s not in my Top 10 movies of all time, but it’s pretty darn close.

Go see it, Pastor! If anything, it’s a fascinating (if not grim) meditation on the issues of evil, vigilantism, and the deep moral struggles of the soul…

3. Tyler says:

I’m not a huge sci fi guy but even so I’d give it an 8….not in my top 10. I have sci fi friends….they think it was one of the best movies ever.

4. L T says:

HOLY #$%! BATMAN…YOU HAVEN’T SEEN IT YET???
    Neither have I. Dude if I was out west, we can make a date. I’m going to drag myself to the theater soon just to see it this week or next. Or maybe I’ll catch it’s re-release in February.
    I’m tempted to watch a bootleg. Everyone around me has it on their iPhones.

5. Randall says:

I’d give it a 7.5. I would’ve given it a 8 if it weren’t for that irritating raspy voice that Christian Bale uses when he’s speaking as Batman.

Not in my all time top 10 but certainly in my top 10 for this year…so far.

I’d recommend it.

6. Bryan says:

Tough readers on your blog. I’d give it a 9. There’s no other film like it and yes, it’s in my Top 10 and I would boot out the Star Wars trilogy. This and Batman Begins is a great 1-2 punch.

7. Phyllis says:

i also have not seen it yet… is it still playing?
    i hear that it is very dark…

8. daphne says:

Actually, I think there are three of us! Jason and I have wanted to see it since it came out, but haven’t gotten around to it. To further make you aghast … I re-rented Batman Begins, thinking I hadn’t seen it, but I had. I guess it wasn’t that memorable to me.

9. justin says:

watch it on imax if you can… about 20 minutes of the film are in IMAX quality (which is 4 times higher res than regular film)– including all of the big chase scenes and helicopter shots… our company took an afternoon off to watch it together and everyone loved it… but we tend to watch things through a visual effects, cinematography and storytelling lens…

with the exception of a few parts, the dark knight doesn’t feel like a comic book movie… the characters (with the exception of one towards the end) aren’t caricatured/exaggerated.

10. amanda says:

The Dark Knight was a 9 for me. I saw it opening night (my birthday! But that really didn’t effect my rating at all). 🙂 It ranks in my Top 10, but I don’t know which movie I’d boot… I don’t actually have a list… Maybe I didn’t have one prior to TDK. Hmm…

11. I’ll give it a 9. It’s pitch-perfect until the final 30 minutes, and without giving anything away- it rushes some character conclusions (even for a 2 1/2 hour movie), and the logic of two particular character decisions at the end is a stretch. Probably not in my top 10 but perhaps top 20.

Overall, it’s still probably the best comic book adaptation of all time. It pwns Spider-man 2. And Imax is a must – not because it’s larger, but because it was shot with IMAX cameras specifically for that presentation. You’ve never seen anything like it, I assure you. Think HD x 100.

-ian

12. Yonas says:

@Bryan…I mean this in a respectful way….come on, you’d boot out Star Wars Trilogy to put Batman on the top 10 list? Dark Knight is an awesome movie, but Star Wars is in its own league (no I’m not a star wars geek, and never been to any convention either).

13. I’d give it a 5 or 6. So not in my top ten. It was okay for an action/superhero flick, but didn’t come close to living up to the hype. It had that pseudo-deep movie vibe that makes people who avoid deep movies feel like they are watching a deep movie and hence feel smart. I generally find that “genre” annoying…

14. Blake says:

I’d give it upwards of 8, but not in my top 10. Heath Ledger just did an incredible job. His Joker though is probably my #1 in terms of big-screen villains. John Travolta’s “Gabriel Shear” from “Swordfish” and Tom Cruise’s “Vincent” from “Collateral” were my #1 & #2. Now they’re #2 & #3.

I’m with Yonas. Starwars is in its own league.

15. snc says:

I actually enjoyed the previous Batman movie better. I thought Batman Begins told a more holistic story and showed us the different sides to Bruce Wayne. The Dark Knight was all about Batman as Batman. It left the human element to the side and focused more on the showdown between the Joker and Batman. Heath Ledger as Joker was amazing and would rank up there as one of the top villains ever but on the whole as a movie… it would get 7 out of 10 for me and it would fall far from my top 10 of all time.

16. sam says:

One of the top movies so far this year (lets wait for fall movies to come out). Rating wise 7.5-8. The movie played like a crime drama instead of a comic book movie. The movie’s director, Christopher Nolan has totally revived the Batman series and has used the new Batman comics dark and realistic themes into the movie. Cinemetography and editing was good.
    To rate this movie even in the top 100 of all time would be a bigger crime than anything the Joker commited.

17. Adam Eastman says:

10/10, second favorite movie of all time. I would easily replace this new batman series with the matrix trilogy.

18. Aaron says:

I would say its an 8/10.

Hmmm… top 10. I would have to make a list. Its close, but I do not think its in the top 10.

And yes it is an extremely dark film. The evil is extremely evil.

19. eugenecho says:

wow. my how much it grossed, i assumed every single civilized person has seen the film. clearly, that’s not the case.

maybe i should try finding my bootleg hazy copy and i can charge some money and we can watch it together.

20. DanW says:

I haven’t seen it either. Although last night we watched a very trippy Korean film – Save the Green Planet – that was pretty dark in its own right. Have you seen it? I’m still trying to figure out what it was trying to say.

21. Oliver Jen says:

I’m one of Julie Clawson’s not-really-deep movie sheep b/c I thought it was an excellent film.

To me, there was some cool ideas underlying all the special effects and costumes. I saw a *lot* of parallels to issues we’re facing today in the real world…
    (WARNING: some plot spoilers here…)

1. Batman’s anti-hero archtype; a persona undertaken in order to defer the public’s support/belief towards Harvey Dent (ultimately an ironic characterization) He’s a hero because he willing accepts the role of a villain in the public’s eye, so that people will have a more public symbol to believe in and find courage in their own better natures. Do we have heroes today, who are willing to be run over in public if it serves to make people’s lives better?

2. Who/what we do effectively defining us in moral dilemmas/do the ends justify the means? (e.g. blow up or be blown up in the ships, executing the one guy to keep from detonating the hospitals)

3. The acceptable (and effective) bounds in combatting an enemy who’s not motivated, or concerned, by any discernable interest; only interested in nihilism and malevolence (e.g. assaulting/torturing Joker, spying via cellphones, etc)

22. Ben C says:

The movie was a let down for me. I rate it a 6.5.

23. gaius says:

i would rate it a 9; among my top 10 movies, it’d be around 3… the movie i bumped off was finding nemo…

i thought the dark knight accurately captured the nuances in dealing with difficult ethical issues in fighting crime, preserving the balance between pragmatism and individual rights, the corruptibility of every person, etc…

24. i give it a 9

top ten, yes, i bumped off bloodsport, but only barely. jk, i booted off i am sam

25. degeneral says:

7/10. Although very good, I would have to it’s been a little overhyped. I agree with the other comment here saying that Batman Begins is a superior movie. So topten? No, I don’t think so.

Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest Took a train to Busan. Did not encounter any zombies but I was ready just in case.

Busan. First visit to this city (couple weeks ago) and was blown away by its beauty. Also, shocked that it has become the fifth largest containment port city in the world. That's a lot of import and export.

#MyAttemptToBeTheBestSmartphonePhotographer
#Pusan #SouthKorea

• Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 22 hours ago
  • Father, bless these Iraqi and Syrian refugee children that have already endured so much. As we pray, teach us how t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 2 days ago
  • Pray for Iraq. Pray for persecuted Church, minority groups (Yezidis) and Muslims alike who are suffering under ISIS: instagram.com/p/BZF2j6Ngrna/ || 2 days ago
  • "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." - a local Iraqi priest || 3 days ago
  • I've been traveling through Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan. Meeting local pastors/leaders, NGOs, and refugees. Join us on IG… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 3 days ago
  • Seeking justice is part of our discipleship. In other words, seek justice not just to change the world...but to be changed more like Christ. || 6 days ago