batman – the dark knight

Am I the only person in the civilized world that has yet to see The Dark Knight?  Every person that has seen the film says only great things about the film.  So, couple questions for you:

1. On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate the Dark Knight?
  2. Does it rank in your Top 10 movies of all time?
  3. And if you answered Question #2, you must answer this question.  What film do you remove from that list to accomodate the Dark Knight?

Now, I have to be honest here.  Like others, I couldn’t wait to see the film but when the film was released, I was still in Korea and they were releasing the film later than the States.  But in a moment of weakness and personal depravity, I couldn’t help myself and bought a bootleg DVD of the movie for $2.  It was available on the streets couple days after the release in the United States.  But the quality of the DVD was so bad, I had to stop watching after 10 minutes.

And despite being back in the States, I have yet to see the film but was told today that it’s still playing at the Seattle IMAX theater at the Pacific Science Center.  I need to find time to go.  But in case I don’t, at least there’s this kid version:

Filed under: entertainment, ,

1. matt says:

Dark Knight was a 8.5 for me. it was completely engaging, and it had many twists and turns that it kept me thinking. what lowered it is the usual comic book cheesiness, in most comic book movies.

top 10? probably not.

2. gar says:

1. Probably an 8… even higher if you compare it only to other “superhero” films.

2. It’s not in my Top 10 movies of all time, but it’s pretty darn close.

Go see it, Pastor! If anything, it’s a fascinating (if not grim) meditation on the issues of evil, vigilantism, and the deep moral struggles of the soul…

3. Tyler says:

I’m not a huge sci fi guy but even so I’d give it an 8….not in my top 10. I have sci fi friends….they think it was one of the best movies ever.

4. L T says:

HOLY #$%! BATMAN…YOU HAVEN’T SEEN IT YET???
    Neither have I. Dude if I was out west, we can make a date. I’m going to drag myself to the theater soon just to see it this week or next. Or maybe I’ll catch it’s re-release in February.
    I’m tempted to watch a bootleg. Everyone around me has it on their iPhones.

5. Randall says:

I’d give it a 7.5. I would’ve given it a 8 if it weren’t for that irritating raspy voice that Christian Bale uses when he’s speaking as Batman.

Not in my all time top 10 but certainly in my top 10 for this year…so far.

I’d recommend it.

6. Bryan says:

Tough readers on your blog. I’d give it a 9. There’s no other film like it and yes, it’s in my Top 10 and I would boot out the Star Wars trilogy. This and Batman Begins is a great 1-2 punch.

7. Phyllis says:

i also have not seen it yet… is it still playing?
    i hear that it is very dark…

8. daphne says:

Actually, I think there are three of us! Jason and I have wanted to see it since it came out, but haven’t gotten around to it. To further make you aghast … I re-rented Batman Begins, thinking I hadn’t seen it, but I had. I guess it wasn’t that memorable to me.

9. justin says:

watch it on imax if you can… about 20 minutes of the film are in IMAX quality (which is 4 times higher res than regular film)– including all of the big chase scenes and helicopter shots… our company took an afternoon off to watch it together and everyone loved it… but we tend to watch things through a visual effects, cinematography and storytelling lens…

with the exception of a few parts, the dark knight doesn’t feel like a comic book movie… the characters (with the exception of one towards the end) aren’t caricatured/exaggerated.

10. amanda says:

The Dark Knight was a 9 for me. I saw it opening night (my birthday! But that really didn’t effect my rating at all). 🙂 It ranks in my Top 10, but I don’t know which movie I’d boot… I don’t actually have a list… Maybe I didn’t have one prior to TDK. Hmm…

11. I’ll give it a 9. It’s pitch-perfect until the final 30 minutes, and without giving anything away- it rushes some character conclusions (even for a 2 1/2 hour movie), and the logic of two particular character decisions at the end is a stretch. Probably not in my top 10 but perhaps top 20.

Overall, it’s still probably the best comic book adaptation of all time. It pwns Spider-man 2. And Imax is a must – not because it’s larger, but because it was shot with IMAX cameras specifically for that presentation. You’ve never seen anything like it, I assure you. Think HD x 100.

-ian

12. Yonas says:

@Bryan…I mean this in a respectful way….come on, you’d boot out Star Wars Trilogy to put Batman on the top 10 list? Dark Knight is an awesome movie, but Star Wars is in its own league (no I’m not a star wars geek, and never been to any convention either).

13. I’d give it a 5 or 6. So not in my top ten. It was okay for an action/superhero flick, but didn’t come close to living up to the hype. It had that pseudo-deep movie vibe that makes people who avoid deep movies feel like they are watching a deep movie and hence feel smart. I generally find that “genre” annoying…

14. Blake says:

I’d give it upwards of 8, but not in my top 10. Heath Ledger just did an incredible job. His Joker though is probably my #1 in terms of big-screen villains. John Travolta’s “Gabriel Shear” from “Swordfish” and Tom Cruise’s “Vincent” from “Collateral” were my #1 & #2. Now they’re #2 & #3.

I’m with Yonas. Starwars is in its own league.

15. snc says:

I actually enjoyed the previous Batman movie better. I thought Batman Begins told a more holistic story and showed us the different sides to Bruce Wayne. The Dark Knight was all about Batman as Batman. It left the human element to the side and focused more on the showdown between the Joker and Batman. Heath Ledger as Joker was amazing and would rank up there as one of the top villains ever but on the whole as a movie… it would get 7 out of 10 for me and it would fall far from my top 10 of all time.

16. sam says:

One of the top movies so far this year (lets wait for fall movies to come out). Rating wise 7.5-8. The movie played like a crime drama instead of a comic book movie. The movie’s director, Christopher Nolan has totally revived the Batman series and has used the new Batman comics dark and realistic themes into the movie. Cinemetography and editing was good.
    To rate this movie even in the top 100 of all time would be a bigger crime than anything the Joker commited.

17. Adam Eastman says:

10/10, second favorite movie of all time. I would easily replace this new batman series with the matrix trilogy.

18. Aaron says:

I would say its an 8/10.

Hmmm… top 10. I would have to make a list. Its close, but I do not think its in the top 10.

And yes it is an extremely dark film. The evil is extremely evil.

19. eugenecho says:

wow. my how much it grossed, i assumed every single civilized person has seen the film. clearly, that’s not the case.

maybe i should try finding my bootleg hazy copy and i can charge some money and we can watch it together.

20. DanW says:

I haven’t seen it either. Although last night we watched a very trippy Korean film – Save the Green Planet – that was pretty dark in its own right. Have you seen it? I’m still trying to figure out what it was trying to say.

21. Oliver Jen says:

I’m one of Julie Clawson’s not-really-deep movie sheep b/c I thought it was an excellent film.

To me, there was some cool ideas underlying all the special effects and costumes. I saw a *lot* of parallels to issues we’re facing today in the real world…
    (WARNING: some plot spoilers here…)

1. Batman’s anti-hero archtype; a persona undertaken in order to defer the public’s support/belief towards Harvey Dent (ultimately an ironic characterization) He’s a hero because he willing accepts the role of a villain in the public’s eye, so that people will have a more public symbol to believe in and find courage in their own better natures. Do we have heroes today, who are willing to be run over in public if it serves to make people’s lives better?

2. Who/what we do effectively defining us in moral dilemmas/do the ends justify the means? (e.g. blow up or be blown up in the ships, executing the one guy to keep from detonating the hospitals)

3. The acceptable (and effective) bounds in combatting an enemy who’s not motivated, or concerned, by any discernable interest; only interested in nihilism and malevolence (e.g. assaulting/torturing Joker, spying via cellphones, etc)

22. Ben C says:

The movie was a let down for me. I rate it a 6.5.

23. gaius says:

i would rate it a 9; among my top 10 movies, it’d be around 3… the movie i bumped off was finding nemo…

i thought the dark knight accurately captured the nuances in dealing with difficult ethical issues in fighting crime, preserving the balance between pragmatism and individual rights, the corruptibility of every person, etc…

24. i give it a 9

top ten, yes, i bumped off bloodsport, but only barely. jk, i booted off i am sam

25. degeneral says:

7/10. Although very good, I would have to it’s been a little overhyped. I agree with the other comment here saying that Batman Begins is a superior movie. So topten? No, I don’t think so.

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 10 hours ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 2 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 2 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 2 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 3 days ago
  • This is what we love to do. Empowering local, indigenous leaders to serve their own communities. Thanks for your su… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 3 days ago