falling in love with nebraska

As I shared earlier, I spent about 8 days in the middle of nowhere recently to cap my sabbatical.  Where did I go?  Because of some connections with friends, I retreated in a small town you’ve never heard of in Central Nebraska.  Yes, you read that correctly…Nebraska.  And after my visit, I think I fell in love with Nebraska [check out the pics below].

The population of the town was 302 people according to some townspeople.  According to their census, Asians comprise .24% of town’s 302 people.  The closest market is 25 miles away.  And because my cellphone wasn’t working in that part of the country, I found myself completely disconnected: no TV, radio, internet, and personal phone access.  The first few days were incredibly difficult but after the 3rd day, it felt so refreshing to be disconnected – even while financial institutions were crumbling last week.  Perhaps, it was good that I had no idea what was going on in the “real” world.

What did I do?

• I read.
  • I prayed.
  • I worked on the poverty organization.
  • I fished and fished; I have never caught so many fish in my life.  Must have caught and released over 150 bass [mostly largemouth].  On couple occasions, I hooked two fishes on 1 lure.
  • I learned about farming, cornhuskers, millets, etc.
  • I helped cut some trees that were attacked my beavers.  I have a new found respect for loggers.
  • I hiked.
  • I captured some snakes.
  • And I fished some more.

Where’s the most obscure place you visited or vacationed?

Filed under: family, travel

1. goldfearsnofire says:

hey eugene, i just want to let you know that i think you are cool. and that you challenge me to consider how to live rightly, healthily, and honorably. thanks for your example. wish you all of the best as you transition out of sabbatical. best, drew

2. Tyler says:

that is awesome eugene. i have family in nebraska. it makes for one boring drive though, i will admit that.

most obscure place i’ve been is wildhorse canyon, oregon. it is a young life camp. 30 minutes away from anything.

3. matt says:

catch and release? no cooking up some fish for dinner?
    Although not obscure, I’ve taken a couple of Korean bus tours that decide that a random train museum is a great place to stop at on a tour of eastern Canada.

4. Sue says:

I was going to say the same thing. Long boring hours of senseless driving and it doesn’t help to have gas prices so high. Great pics.

5. eugenecho says:

@matt: ok ok. we did eat a couple of those fish. delicious. also caught crappie, smallmouth, northern pike, and catfish. but just ate couple big and smallmouth. pretty good.

6. Nina Seong says:

wow, i never knew nebraska was so beautiful & picturesque.

the water looks crystal clear.

and capturing snakes & catching fish.

very symbolic & analogous to ministry.

🙂

7. Sara says:

I never knew Nebraska could be so appealing. Thanks for the photos and the beautiful descriptions.

Most obscure place visited… hard to remember… We’ve visited lots of out of the way places here in the Northwest (or at least, as out of the way as you can get with two small children). One of our favorite things, which we haven’t done for a long time, was to pick a place in the Waterfall Lover’s Guide Pacific Northwest, pack our boys on our backs and go find some gorgeous waterfall in the middle of the woods or in some odd roadside spot just outside of Shelton or some other podunk place. 🙂 We’ve found some really beautiful places and spent some really fun moments together as a family by doing that.

Maybe most obscure locations I can think of out of the country usually involve getting lost. There was the time that we got lost driving through Normandy in France trying to find a little town called Ville Dieu Les Poelles, where they sell fabulous copper pots. We saw some lovely farming villages and lots of lovely tumbledown, roadside, stone cottages on the way because we chose to take some back roads to get there. Once, as a whole family, we got lost in the jungle in Panama in a tiny Toyota rental car. That is too long a story for this comment space, but it involved, a scary spider, a large snake, unintelligible attempts at speaking Spanish, and a little bit of crying. It’s a funny story (at least NOW it’s funny).

8. chad m says:

being a Cornhusker myself i am pleased to see my people treated you well. it’s not washington, but i love my home state!

you should consider working in travel and tourism for Nebraska on the side…go big red!

9. eugenecho says:

@chad: i wrote this post in honor of you cuz i knew you were a cornhusker.

10. Jennifer says:

I think the most remote place I have been is Haines Alaska. One local told us that the only industy there was the breeding and raising of children.

11. gregwheeler says:

Hmm, 0.24% of 302 is less than one person. 🙂

12. Kim says:

Remote = Unalakleet, Alaska – According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 5.1 square miles, of which, 2.9 square miles of it is land and 2.3 square miles of it (44.25%) is water. Local overland travel is mainly by ATV’s, snowmachines and dogsleds in winter. It is an amazing place!

13. queltica says:

I grew up in Ecuador, so nothing there for me feels remote or obscure – but to me the most remote place I’ve visited was the Isle of Harris in the northern Hebrides. It was in October, and everything was gray rocks and gray skies and moors and cold beaches. It was beautiful. The standing stones at Callanais on neighboring Lewis was one of the most awesome wild old places I’ve ever been …however, the place that felt the most “obscure” was probably some hot sticky stanky pond/lake in southern Illinois one summer when I was a teenager at a church camp. Mosquitos and flatness and humidity and not much else.

"He Makes All Things New." In other words, Christ is our eternal hope. I'm sitting in my swinging bench on the comforts of my front porch after an exhilarating and exhausting day at church. It never gets tiring, stale, or old to preach and proclaim the good news of the Gospel - not just on Resurrection Sunday but every week as we gather as the body of Christ.

But it was this picture of Coptic Christians in Egypt pouring into churches on Easter Sunday that deeply moved my heart...just a week after two churches were bombed by ISIS terrorists taking 45 lives and injuring hundreds.

Even in the face of persecution and suffering, I'm so grateful for the witness of these sisters and brothers in Christ. May they be comforted and strengthened...and wherever you are reading this post, stay encouraged. Be faithful and steadfast. Don't give up. May we keep running the race set before us as we fix our eyes on Christ.

It's not just there. It's all over the world...God is still at work. The Holy Spirit is still moving. God is not yet done. There's only one explanation:
Christ has risen! He has risen, indeed! Jesus is alive! Hallelujah! #OneChurch Remember, there is no Resurrection without the Crucifixion; No Easter Sunday without Passion Friday; No empty tomb without the Cross.

So, before we move too swiftly to the celebration of the risen Christ, may we sit at the foot of the Cross...and consider the depths of His sacrifice and love. "Oh, what love is this..." Just when we think we get what it means to follow Him, Jesus washes the feet of His disciples including...the one He knew would betray Him,

and the one that would deny him,

and the others that would abandon Him in His greatest need.

What amazing love.
What amazing grace. Oh. What. Amazing. Grace. M(inhee) + E(ugene). Not taking anything for granted. 20 years = 7300 days = 175,200 hours. A flourishing  marriage doesn't just happen. The idea that two Christians who choose to get married will produce a Christ honoring marriage is a gigantic myth. Its also extremely dangerous. The truth is that it takes so much intentionality and work. Intimacy definitely includes physical touch but is not only about physical touch. We have to pray, read, listen, learn, mutually submit, confess, forgive, repent, laugh, dream, rest, play, and the list goes on.

In other words, we have to keep Christ at the center because it's inevitable, there's a lot of messing up. So much messing up. It's both beautiful and painful and without grace, it's impossible.

Grateful. Thank you, Jesus, for your grace. And thank you, Minhee...

• It's not Easter. Crowds may be smaller. But may we preach the Gospel w/ deep conviction; That we truly believe that the tomb is still empty. || 4 hours ago
  • Looking for a church in Seattle? Join us tomorrow to hear a word from this woman of God. The tomb is still empty! twitter.com/LizVerHage/sta… || 7 hours ago
  • The degradation of our environment impacts all but the reality is that poor communities suffer most...perpetuating the injustice of poverty. || 14 hours ago
  • Caring for God's creation should always be part of our stewardship. In other words, it's not optional but an essential part of discipleship. || 16 hours ago
  • Fantastic @CTmagazine piece about @gailsongbantum, Executive Pastor @SeattleQuest. Inspired by her story/leadership: christianitytoday.com/women-leaders/… || 1 day ago
  • Lifting up prayers for the 3 police officers shot today in Seattle while responding to robbery; For their families & entire law enforcement. || 2 days ago