bill gates’ last day, jerry seinfeld, and shoes

Two must see videos here.  The first is a hilarious video of Bill Gates shown at the CES earlier this year as part of his final keynote speech. If you haven’t heard, Billy is no longer a full-time employee at Microsoft.  The second is the first video of Microsoft’s new 300 million dollar advertising campaign featuring Bill and Jerry Seinfeld.

It’s easy to make fun of him because of the haircut, the nerdiness, the sweater, the Microsoft empire, etc. but the more I reflect on his legacy and particularly, his philantrophy and foundation, I’m simply amazed. I know many younger folks are drawn to Apple’s Steve Jobs but there’s something very appealing about Bill that grows on me.

Check out the video. He’s got some notable friends…with funny cameos by Spielberg, Bono, Jay-Z, Barack Obama, George Clooney, and many more.

So, what do you think of this new ad featuring Bill and Jerry?  Does it make sense?  Does it work?

Filed under: entertainment, technology, , ,

1. James says:

Seems like your classic Seinfeld episode. Everything about nothing.

2. Michelle says:

Don’t get it. Doesn’t make sense…Bill better not give up his day job but Jerry, as always, is brilliant even yadaing around about nothing…..

3. Capt Ralph says:

Would/could someone PLEASE explain that ad to me? I don’t usually ask for/need help but I have seen it several times and don’t know where to buy those shoes.

(Look, if you don’t know me………………..I have a sense of humor, too. I know the ad is NOT about shoes, but I still don’t get it.)

4. jas dye says:

Capt Ralph:

it’s an introductory ad, kind of a beginning of a wonderful friendship (like those wonderful superman and seinfeld ads).

i thought the WSJ (or really the critics) are too harsh on it. the key is all in the last exchange, where jerry asks bill if computers will ever be soft and chewy like cake.

in-no-va-tion.

5. When I first saw the commercial I honest wondered what company it was for (Amex, a shoe company, something else). Using Seinfeld and that platinum joke mixes the message too much.

6. eugenecho says:

They’re not Mac commercials but I think they’re working. It doesn’t make sense because it’s the first of a series but how are they working?

People are talking about it…
    That’s how I found out.

7. justin says:

hmmm…
    maybe i’m not in the target demographic or maybe it’s just not my type of humor, but i didn’t find it funny or engaging at all. what is the message they’re trying to communicate? bill gates is cheap? jerry seinfeld knows his shoes? i don’t think it succeeds in making the brand seem innovative or aspirational or reliable…

plus the endtag took a designer all of 30 seconds to make.

8. chenster22 says:

it’s… overly long, and you just wait and wait for something funny to happen… yeah, i don’t get it.

9. Leah says:

I guess I’m in the minority here (and I had the benefit of knowing beforehand that it’s first of a series…) but I think it’s pretty funny. I love non-sequitors humor, though. Funniest part? All the people looking in the window and saying talking about the brand of the shoe instead of the fact that it’s BG and JS in there trying them on.

And the whole idea of Bill Gates doing a little shorts-adjusting-rump-wiggle? I find that hilarious. I think because it IS so out of place.

10. gar says:

Funny stuff, but sadly… Apple ads > Microsoft ads.

They better step their game up!

11. batguano101 says:

Confession-

I thought everyone in the Seinfeld tv program was funny to various degrees except- Seinfeld.

Are there others like me.

Could this affect the 300 million ad campaign?

12. Dave says:

I loved the Shoe Circus ad. Of course, I have an entire blog dedicated to shoe-related trivia and humor.

Quintessential Seattle summer night... Exciting news! While I can't share the specifics yet, Jeremy Lin (@jlin7) and @onedayswages will be partnering together.
About a year ago, Jeremy reached out after he read my book, Overrated. We talked about, faith, gospel, justice, tenacity, influence, breaking ankles with our crossovers. Eventually, one thing led to another and then dreaming about collaboration for the greater Kingdom.

I appreciate his heart, his humility, and his commitment to use his platform for Christ. And of course, I'm thrilled for his new chapter as the starting point guard for the Brooklyn Nets. He's gonna have a great season. #jeremylin #linsanity #onedayswages #nba #brooklynnets // photo credit: @lovitylove I was trying to have a tender father-daughter grown up talk moment before she heads off to college next month. As in like, "Hey, you're a grown up now, floss regularly,  know who you are, what you're about, study hard, don't succumb to peer pressure, your relationship with God is the first priority, don't take too many selfies, know the difference between "their', 'there', and they're', watch out for boys and their cooties"... but...I'm having a difficult...time...focusing. This fall, I'm marking 25 years of serving as a pastor in the local church. Served in Sacramento, CA, Flushing NY, Princeton, NJ, Seoul, Korea, Lynnwood, WA, and now about 17 years in the city of Seattle. Minhee has been on this journey with me for almost 20 years.
So many ups and downs. Lots of tears and restless nights. Lots of personal doubts and insecurities. But ultimately, we've experienced that God's grace is sufficient in our weakness.
And along the way, so many incredible and indelible memories.
Especially grateful to be invited into the joyous celebrations and also the deep moments of vulnerability and pain. Through it all, what an amazing joy and privilege to bear witness to the grace and love of Christ. Palm trees make everything feel better. Thank you to the kind folks of Mount Hermon for hosting us. Thank you, Santa Cruz for being Santa Cruz. We all have fears because we're human. Name your fears. Have courage. Work through them.

Super proud of the kids for working through their fear of heights and making it through the ropes course challenge and the ziplines.

• Quintessential Seattle summer night... instagram.com/p/BJW_aJuhVtf/ || 3 days ago
  • It's been so beautiful & encouraging to watch countless Olympic athletes from around the world profess their faith in Christ. #GlobalChurch || 3 days ago
  • Commit to a church family that believes that "church" is so much more than a worship service, an event, or its charismatic leader. || 3 days ago
  • Dear Christian: Your neighbors don't want you to see them as a "target group." Who does? They want you to be a good neighbor. Start there. || 4 days ago
  • RT @EugeneCho: YES! Upcoming partnership w/ Jeremy Lin (@JLin7) + @OneDaysWages! Love his heart & passion: goo.gl/qxhvgq https://… || 5 days ago
  • In a culture obsessed with quick results, we must learn the importance of prayer, patience, and perseverance. Be faithful. Be steadfast. || 5 days ago

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,410 other followers