bill gates’ last day, jerry seinfeld, and shoes

Two must see videos here.  The first is a hilarious video of Bill Gates shown at the CES earlier this year as part of his final keynote speech. If you haven’t heard, Billy is no longer a full-time employee at Microsoft.  The second is the first video of Microsoft’s new 300 million dollar advertising campaign featuring Bill and Jerry Seinfeld.

It’s easy to make fun of him because of the haircut, the nerdiness, the sweater, the Microsoft empire, etc. but the more I reflect on his legacy and particularly, his philantrophy and foundation, I’m simply amazed. I know many younger folks are drawn to Apple’s Steve Jobs but there’s something very appealing about Bill that grows on me.

Check out the video. He’s got some notable friends…with funny cameos by Spielberg, Bono, Jay-Z, Barack Obama, George Clooney, and many more.

So, what do you think of this new ad featuring Bill and Jerry?  Does it make sense?  Does it work?

Filed under: entertainment, technology, , ,

1. James says:

Seems like your classic Seinfeld episode. Everything about nothing.

2. Michelle says:

Don’t get it. Doesn’t make sense…Bill better not give up his day job but Jerry, as always, is brilliant even yadaing around about nothing…..

3. Capt Ralph says:

Would/could someone PLEASE explain that ad to me? I don’t usually ask for/need help but I have seen it several times and don’t know where to buy those shoes.

(Look, if you don’t know me………………..I have a sense of humor, too. I know the ad is NOT about shoes, but I still don’t get it.)

4. jas dye says:

Capt Ralph:

it’s an introductory ad, kind of a beginning of a wonderful friendship (like those wonderful superman and seinfeld ads).

i thought the WSJ (or really the critics) are too harsh on it. the key is all in the last exchange, where jerry asks bill if computers will ever be soft and chewy like cake.

in-no-va-tion.

5. When I first saw the commercial I honest wondered what company it was for (Amex, a shoe company, something else). Using Seinfeld and that platinum joke mixes the message too much.

6. eugenecho says:

They’re not Mac commercials but I think they’re working. It doesn’t make sense because it’s the first of a series but how are they working?

People are talking about it…
    That’s how I found out.

7. justin says:

hmmm…
    maybe i’m not in the target demographic or maybe it’s just not my type of humor, but i didn’t find it funny or engaging at all. what is the message they’re trying to communicate? bill gates is cheap? jerry seinfeld knows his shoes? i don’t think it succeeds in making the brand seem innovative or aspirational or reliable…

plus the endtag took a designer all of 30 seconds to make.

8. chenster22 says:

it’s… overly long, and you just wait and wait for something funny to happen… yeah, i don’t get it.

9. Leah says:

I guess I’m in the minority here (and I had the benefit of knowing beforehand that it’s first of a series…) but I think it’s pretty funny. I love non-sequitors humor, though. Funniest part? All the people looking in the window and saying talking about the brand of the shoe instead of the fact that it’s BG and JS in there trying them on.

And the whole idea of Bill Gates doing a little shorts-adjusting-rump-wiggle? I find that hilarious. I think because it IS so out of place.

10. gar says:

Funny stuff, but sadly… Apple ads > Microsoft ads.

They better step their game up!

11. batguano101 says:

Confession-

I thought everyone in the Seinfeld tv program was funny to various degrees except- Seinfeld.

Are there others like me.

Could this affect the 300 million ad campaign?

12. Dave says:

I loved the Shoe Circus ad. Of course, I have an entire blog dedicated to shoe-related trivia and humor.

Do small things with great love. Think simple. Not spectacular. C'mon! We still got it.

#DontCallUsBeautyAndTheBeast
#HowAboutThatMatchingTie
#OldSchoolKPopStars
#19YearsAndGoingStrong Grateful for the life and leadership of Dr. John M. Perkins. There are alot of sprinters in our culture but make sure to also look for those who are persevering in the marathon of justice and reconciliation. When I think of him and others I consider mentors in my life, they're not necessarily flashy or fancy. Rather, I'm reminded that a life faithfully and honestly lived through life's trials and messiness is one's greatest sermon. The best thing a father can do for their kids...is to care well for their mother. It took me awhile to learn this and I'm still learning this. As a leader, I refuse to sacrifice my marriage and kids for the sake of ministry. How can I? Loving my family IS ministry and leadership.

I acknowledge that I'm so privileged with platform, resources, and opportunities - including the opportunity to travel and take vacations like this trip last month. Its not lost on me. I'm so grateful. I want to steward that privilege well - not just for personal or family enjoyment - but also for the sake of others and the building of the Kingdom of God.
As I pour into others, I'm also learning how important it is to care for oneself; To care for your spouse; To care for your family; To be about the marathon. Preservation not for the sake of self-preservation but for the sake of discipleship and faithfulness.

I used to feel guilty about Sabbath-ing, vacations for my family, being in the outdoors, fishing, and self-care but it's too important  As a lifelong recovering workaholic, I don't want to burn out and I don't want this for others. Flying in and out of Seattle never gets old. One of the most mesmerizing topographies in the country. #windowseat Thank you, Chicago. Put in 10,000 steps. Still one of the best cities to walk.

• Dear Politicians: Don't vilify or demonize the other. We really need leadership. Compel us with your ideas, smarts, passion, & transparency. || 9 hours ago
  • Lol. Not just Overrated but 114% overrated. twitter.com/KarinSwihart/s… || 15 hours ago
  • I challenge you to eat a meal with someone you disagree with on an impassionate issue.It may not change you but it will make you more human. || 21 hours ago
  • Do small things with great love. Think simple. Not spectacular. instagram.com/p/BIWdurPhHxe/ || 1 day ago
  • "We want to leave with you what God has given us: strength, love, and peace." ~ Sybrina Fulton [mom of Trayvon Martin] #MothersoftheMovement || 1 day ago
  • May our love for politics never supersede our love for God & Neighbor - including neighbors who don’t share our politics. What a challenge. || 1 day ago

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,412 other followers