angel kicks judge in taekwondo match

You have a caption for this picture?

Cuba’s Angel Matos kicks the referee in the face after a controversy in the bronze medal match at the Beijing Olympics.  I actually remember Matos from the 2000 Olympics in Sydney.  He won the gold medal at those games and dedicated the medal to his mother who past away on the day of the Opening Ceremony.

I have a feeling this is going to be one of those things he will regret for the rest of his life.  I’ve never done anything so extreme but I began to think about the list of things I’ve done in my life – particularly WORDS – that I regretted saying or doing in the heat of the moment.

Don’t pretend you’re an angel.  You know you’ve done some stuff you regret.

From ESPN:

Cuba’s Angel Matos deliberately kicked a referee square in the face after he was disqualified in a bronze-medal match, prompting the World Taekwondo Federation to recommend that he be banned for life.

“We didn’t expect anything like what you have witnessed to occur,” said WTF secretary general Yang Jin-suk. “I am at a loss for words.”

Yang also recommended Matos’ coach be banned.

Matos was winning 3-2, with 1:02 left in the second round, when he fell to the mat after being hit by his opponent, Kazakhstan’s Arman Chilmanov. Matos was sitting there, awaiting medical attention, when he was disqualified for taking too much injury time. Fighters get one minute, and Matos was disqualified when his time ran out.

Matos angrily questioned the call, pushed a judge, then pushed and kicked referee Chakir Chelbat of Sweden, who required stitches in his lip. Matos spat on the floor and was escorted out.

“This is an insult to the Olympic vision, an insult to the spirit of taekwondo and, in my opinion, an insult to mankind,” Yang said.

Matos’ coach was unapologetic.

“He was too strict,” Leudis Gonzalez said, referring to the decision to disqualify Matos. Afterward, he charged the match was fixed, accusing the Kazakhs of offering him money.

Filed under: sports, , ,

1. Cheryl says:

I have a daughter who is learning this sport….at age four she will tell you, that honor is the gift you give your self…..what makes up honor is drilled into them from day one… As a blackbelt where was his controll, better yet….where was his honor….She hates that he is “TaeKwonDo”……Ask him and his “coach”, what am I now to say to my daughter who wants to know “why?”…How do I make it right for her?….I watched as she looked down on the floor and said, mommy it is so sad….I thought she was feeling sorry for the ref…..No….she says he lost all honor in front of not just his mommy and daddy, but the world…..she feels sorry for him, she says a boy with no honor is nothing…..what can one say to that…..On a more better note…..she is a BIG FAN of Maria de Roserio Espinoza, and wants to know where she can get an photo with her signature on it…..she said she wants to be Maria when she grows up….that is left to be seen.

2. Benji says:

There’s only one word that describes what he did: Despicable.

3. TIMMY says:

DID ANYONE SMELL THAT… YOU THINK THE REF SHAT HIMSELF IMMETATELY BEFORE OR AFTER THAT CHUCK NORRIS STYLE ROUNDHOUSE KICK TO THE FACE? .. IF THE REF WASNT AUTISTIC HE IS NOW

4. miles says:

Thank God he’s not Puerto Rican. (Phew..)

5. j says:

where is Jet Li/Jackie Chan……need to teach this freak a lesson or two about what Martial Arts stands for….all stands for HONOR, INTEGRITY, RESPECT……i support the life time ban on this guy….he should never be allowed to compete in both domestically and internationally…..

6. Yonas says:

Caption:

“Smell My Toe!”

7. hatori29 says:

Now, that’s one angry man…

The family that karaokes together stays together. #ChoFamilyKPopFamily Family time in one of my favorite cities in the world - especially when the exchange rate is so favorable. Thank you, Vancouver, for being such a great refuge for our souls for the past 20 years. #QuestVancouver It's the day after...that day.
Be grateful. Again.
We woke up. We're alive.
Breathing. Dreaming.
Pursuing. Embodying. Loving.

Yes. Be grateful.
That you, Jesus.

Pastor Coby, Pastor Katey, Pam, Jalle, and Jasmin: We see you. We appreciate you. We are grateful for your presence and leadership at Quest and beyond. Thank you and all of our amazing volunteers Wow. So proud of our 13 year-old son. When he began the trumpet in middle school, you could say it was a little painful. But this cat has got some groove. He's taught himself the piano, guitar, and really come along on the trumpet.

Parents: Fret not if you have no musical skills. I am living proof that musical genes or the lack thereof are not passed on. #AsianMilesDavis