angel kicks judge in taekwondo match

You have a caption for this picture?

Cuba’s Angel Matos kicks the referee in the face after a controversy in the bronze medal match at the Beijing Olympics.  I actually remember Matos from the 2000 Olympics in Sydney.  He won the gold medal at those games and dedicated the medal to his mother who past away on the day of the Opening Ceremony.

I have a feeling this is going to be one of those things he will regret for the rest of his life.  I’ve never done anything so extreme but I began to think about the list of things I’ve done in my life – particularly WORDS – that I regretted saying or doing in the heat of the moment.

Don’t pretend you’re an angel.  You know you’ve done some stuff you regret.

From ESPN:

Cuba’s Angel Matos deliberately kicked a referee square in the face after he was disqualified in a bronze-medal match, prompting the World Taekwondo Federation to recommend that he be banned for life.

“We didn’t expect anything like what you have witnessed to occur,” said WTF secretary general Yang Jin-suk. “I am at a loss for words.”

Yang also recommended Matos’ coach be banned.

Matos was winning 3-2, with 1:02 left in the second round, when he fell to the mat after being hit by his opponent, Kazakhstan’s Arman Chilmanov. Matos was sitting there, awaiting medical attention, when he was disqualified for taking too much injury time. Fighters get one minute, and Matos was disqualified when his time ran out.

Matos angrily questioned the call, pushed a judge, then pushed and kicked referee Chakir Chelbat of Sweden, who required stitches in his lip. Matos spat on the floor and was escorted out.

“This is an insult to the Olympic vision, an insult to the spirit of taekwondo and, in my opinion, an insult to mankind,” Yang said.

Matos’ coach was unapologetic.

“He was too strict,” Leudis Gonzalez said, referring to the decision to disqualify Matos. Afterward, he charged the match was fixed, accusing the Kazakhs of offering him money.

Filed under: sports, , ,

1. Cheryl says:

I have a daughter who is learning this sport….at age four she will tell you, that honor is the gift you give your self…..what makes up honor is drilled into them from day one… As a blackbelt where was his controll, better yet….where was his honor….She hates that he is “TaeKwonDo”……Ask him and his “coach”, what am I now to say to my daughter who wants to know “why?”…How do I make it right for her?….I watched as she looked down on the floor and said, mommy it is so sad….I thought she was feeling sorry for the ref…..No….she says he lost all honor in front of not just his mommy and daddy, but the world…..she feels sorry for him, she says a boy with no honor is nothing…..what can one say to that…..On a more better note…..she is a BIG FAN of Maria de Roserio Espinoza, and wants to know where she can get an photo with her signature on it…..she said she wants to be Maria when she grows up….that is left to be seen.

2. Benji says:

There’s only one word that describes what he did: Despicable.

3. TIMMY says:

DID ANYONE SMELL THAT… YOU THINK THE REF SHAT HIMSELF IMMETATELY BEFORE OR AFTER THAT CHUCK NORRIS STYLE ROUNDHOUSE KICK TO THE FACE? .. IF THE REF WASNT AUTISTIC HE IS NOW

4. miles says:

Thank God he’s not Puerto Rican. (Phew..)

5. j says:

where is Jet Li/Jackie Chan……need to teach this freak a lesson or two about what Martial Arts stands for….all stands for HONOR, INTEGRITY, RESPECT……i support the life time ban on this guy….he should never be allowed to compete in both domestically and internationally…..

6. Yonas says:

Caption:

“Smell My Toe!”

7. hatori29 says:

Now, that’s one angry man…

The secret to being grateful is no secret. You choose to be grateful. Then you do it again and again. Every day. If you forget, start again. Back to fishing...I mean, umm...back to writing a book. There's no such thing as a self-made person. Someone believed, encouraged, and invested in you. Be grateful and be that someone for others.

Taking a break from the sabbatical...to partner in ministry in Denver at Cherry Hills Church and at the CRU staff conference. It was such a gift to be able to encourage a handful of folks one-to-one, a small group of Asian-American leaders from EPIC, and the larger group of 5000 staff during one of the sessions.

I've been personally blessed, challenged, encouraged, exhorted, and convicted by so many who have poured into my life - friends, acquaintances, and even strangers - and I hope to do that for others as I seek to be faithful to Christ.

Thank you, Lord.
#cru17 Nothing grows by itself. If something matters to us, may we be intentional about growing it.

Invest. Pray. Plant. Water. Nurture. Repeat. God sees and knows us. In fact, God knows everything about us.

Not just the good we try so hard to project but even the mess we often seek to hide.

Let this soak in: Not only are we fully known but in Christ, we are fully pursued and loved.

This is grace.
Amazing grace. Hairstyles change. Sideburn fads come and go but may our commitment to love, honor, respect, and be on mission together for Christ never waver.

Thank you, Minhee. I love you so much even if you made fun of my hairstyle and sideburns.

• The secret to being grateful is no secret. You choose to be grateful. Then you do it again and again. Every day. If you forget, start again. || 11 hours ago
  • Back to fishing...I mean, umm...back to writing a book. instagram.com/p/BW-64QmA3ji/ || 11 hours ago
  • RT @bj116: Love without Truth leads to liberalism. Truth without love leads to legalism. But Truth working with Love leads to a Gospel tran… || 2 days ago
  • There's no such thing as a self-made person. Someone believed, encouraged, and invested in you. Be grateful and be that someone for others. || 3 days ago
  • Nature is one of my love languages. - instagram.com/p/BW0uNlng0If/ || 4 days ago
  • Nothing grows by itself. If something matters to us, may we be intentional about growing it. Invest. Pray. Plant. Water. Nurture. Repeat. || 5 days ago