angel kicks judge in taekwondo match

You have a caption for this picture?

Cuba’s Angel Matos kicks the referee in the face after a controversy in the bronze medal match at the Beijing Olympics.  I actually remember Matos from the 2000 Olympics in Sydney.  He won the gold medal at those games and dedicated the medal to his mother who past away on the day of the Opening Ceremony.

I have a feeling this is going to be one of those things he will regret for the rest of his life.  I’ve never done anything so extreme but I began to think about the list of things I’ve done in my life – particularly WORDS – that I regretted saying or doing in the heat of the moment.

Don’t pretend you’re an angel.  You know you’ve done some stuff you regret.

From ESPN:

Cuba’s Angel Matos deliberately kicked a referee square in the face after he was disqualified in a bronze-medal match, prompting the World Taekwondo Federation to recommend that he be banned for life.

“We didn’t expect anything like what you have witnessed to occur,” said WTF secretary general Yang Jin-suk. “I am at a loss for words.”

Yang also recommended Matos’ coach be banned.

Matos was winning 3-2, with 1:02 left in the second round, when he fell to the mat after being hit by his opponent, Kazakhstan’s Arman Chilmanov. Matos was sitting there, awaiting medical attention, when he was disqualified for taking too much injury time. Fighters get one minute, and Matos was disqualified when his time ran out.

Matos angrily questioned the call, pushed a judge, then pushed and kicked referee Chakir Chelbat of Sweden, who required stitches in his lip. Matos spat on the floor and was escorted out.

“This is an insult to the Olympic vision, an insult to the spirit of taekwondo and, in my opinion, an insult to mankind,” Yang said.

Matos’ coach was unapologetic.

“He was too strict,” Leudis Gonzalez said, referring to the decision to disqualify Matos. Afterward, he charged the match was fixed, accusing the Kazakhs of offering him money.

Filed under: sports, , ,

1. Cheryl says:

I have a daughter who is learning this sport….at age four she will tell you, that honor is the gift you give your self…..what makes up honor is drilled into them from day one… As a blackbelt where was his controll, better yet….where was his honor….She hates that he is “TaeKwonDo”……Ask him and his “coach”, what am I now to say to my daughter who wants to know “why?”…How do I make it right for her?….I watched as she looked down on the floor and said, mommy it is so sad….I thought she was feeling sorry for the ref…..No….she says he lost all honor in front of not just his mommy and daddy, but the world…..she feels sorry for him, she says a boy with no honor is nothing…..what can one say to that…..On a more better note…..she is a BIG FAN of Maria de Roserio Espinoza, and wants to know where she can get an photo with her signature on it…..she said she wants to be Maria when she grows up….that is left to be seen.

2. Benji says:

There’s only one word that describes what he did: Despicable.

3. TIMMY says:

DID ANYONE SMELL THAT… YOU THINK THE REF SHAT HIMSELF IMMETATELY BEFORE OR AFTER THAT CHUCK NORRIS STYLE ROUNDHOUSE KICK TO THE FACE? .. IF THE REF WASNT AUTISTIC HE IS NOW

4. miles says:

Thank God he’s not Puerto Rican. (Phew..)

5. j says:

where is Jet Li/Jackie Chan……need to teach this freak a lesson or two about what Martial Arts stands for….all stands for HONOR, INTEGRITY, RESPECT……i support the life time ban on this guy….he should never be allowed to compete in both domestically and internationally…..

6. Yonas says:

Caption:

“Smell My Toe!”

7. hatori29 says:

Now, that’s one angry man…

Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest Took a train to Busan. Did not encounter any zombies but I was ready just in case.

Busan. First visit to this city (couple weeks ago) and was blown away by its beauty. Also, shocked that it has become the fifth largest containment port city in the world. That's a lot of import and export.

#MyAttemptToBeTheBestSmartphonePhotographer
#Pusan #SouthKorea

• Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 22 hours ago
  • Father, bless these Iraqi and Syrian refugee children that have already endured so much. As we pray, teach us how t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 2 days ago
  • Pray for Iraq. Pray for persecuted Church, minority groups (Yezidis) and Muslims alike who are suffering under ISIS: instagram.com/p/BZF2j6Ngrna/ || 2 days ago
  • "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." - a local Iraqi priest || 3 days ago
  • I've been traveling through Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan. Meeting local pastors/leaders, NGOs, and refugees. Join us on IG… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 3 days ago
  • Seeking justice is part of our discipleship. In other words, seek justice not just to change the world...but to be changed more like Christ. || 6 days ago