angry emails

I enjoy blogging.  It’s therapeutic; allows me to be creative; and there are other various reasons why I blog.

The world wide web is a cool thing but every now and then, it gets a little weird.  For example, I get my share of random digital holy rebukes from strangers about all kinds of stuff including my least favorite “Just stick to Jesus” emails.  While I enjoy hosting dialogues on this blog, I do not enjoy receiving personal angry emails and borderline hate email.  Nope.  Not at all.   And every now and then, we get rocks thrown through our windows that may or may have nothing to do with me.  I hope not.

I received some intense emails this week because of my beautiful slanted eyes.  And enough over the past year or so that I had to remove all pictures and names of our kids from the blog, the church website, and even disconnect our home phone.  Sucks.

But interestingly, I get more angry emails from random web surfers over this post – which also happens to be the most viewed entry on my blog [30k+].

What are they angry about?  A film called “My Sassy Girl.”  Those SG fans drive me nuts.

Filed under: religion, technology, ,

1. Trust me I know. I write stuff about the environment, parental alienation and just daily writing. I have my own family members attacking me in email at times. Sometimes I privatize the blog entries but that’s a shame because some people need to hear stuff and that is the hardest thing sometimes.

2. chrismarlow says:

I’m also dealing with these issues. More from philosophical disagreements and all. Kinda of scary!!!

3. Maybe you should drop blogging and just stick to Jesus 🙂

Seriously, I really appreciate your blog and your willingness to share from your heart and not shy away from difficult topics.

I’ve learned alot from your “slanted eyes” post and the comments. As a white guy, my first thought when I heard the story of the Spanish team was that it was stupid and childish. I had a sense that this was insensitive, but didn’t realize how offensive this act could be, however. Hearing your stories, and those of others who’ve been on the receiving end of this has helped open my eyes (no pun intended).

I think some of the “it’s not that big a deal” pushback may come from those, like me, who have no desire to be “racist” — but may be in danger of doing something racist out of sheer ignorance. That’s why this type of dialogue is great — it’s a real iron sharpening iron situation.

I’m reminded of the quote — “it’s not a shame to be ignorant, but it’s a shame to stay that way.” Thank you for helping me be less ignorant.

4. Whew-eeee have I ever been there. I’ve been threatened by other local pastors before via email. I’ve had “Chrisitan” friends read posts and email me that they “now know who I really am” and how our friendship was a “lie.” I got those two because I used the word “suck” in a post.

It’s not just blogging though. I once wrote a letter to the editor in our local newspaper that had a guy calling my house every day until I threatened to call the police.

Keep on bloggin’ Eugere!

5. Jenny says:

I also enjoy reading all of your blogs.

Your “slanted eyes” blog has been the subject of a couple very good conversations with friends. It has also been a good reminder to all of us that our words and actions effect other people, sometimes even when we don’t mean for them to.

I just got an e-mail from my local library that “Sassy Girl” is ready for me to pick up. I ordered it (and some others) after reading your aforementioned list. Don’t worry, even if I don’t like it I won’t send hate mail.

I, for one, am learning from you (through your blog) and appreciate that very much.

6. Wow.

I was going to comment that you must be writing something worthwhile to get so many emails. But *that* post? Your movie list didn’t even MENTION “The Host” which is absolutely, without a doubt, the only Korean movie I can remember off the top of my head. (It’s also in my top 3 all time favorite films)

7. Tyler says:

What I’ll never understand is what those who write hate mail think their hate is going to accomplish.

8. Jesus says:

Repent, Eugene, repent.

9. warfront says:

not a bad idea
    wwwspywareremedy.wordpress.com

10. jimfox says:

no on reads my blog, so I am safe.

What kind of hate mail are you getting about Sassy Girl?!?!

11. jimfox says:

and, who is this Jesus you keep talking about? Could you tell me about him?

12. eugenecho says:

@jim: it’s kinda funny. hate mail because I have sassy girl only ranked #9 on my list instead of #1.

13. Aaron says:

I find it humerous (and sad at the same time) that you would get hate mail about your slanted eyes post. Seems to me like you have the right to express your opinion when you feel hurt, bothered, antagonized, etc. from something that has happened… that if your goal is to say something like “hey… this is not right… this bothers me” then there is nothing harmful in that.

For me, I realized from reading your blog I personally become very critical of some of the people/events that you write about…. so I have to be a little careful when reading some of your posts to respond with love. My initial response is often to lash out with criticism (either in written responses or in internal thoughts)… but I have a fat plank stuck in my eye and I can not seem to get it out.

14. olivia says:

hm..i think one reason for all the “hate” may have to do with the fact that there’s a lot of truth being spoken here. i find that haters of truth tend to retaliate in that way, just as many hated on jesus for telling it like it is. not to say that all criticism/questioning is bad, but hopefully the Lord will grant you the wisdom to discern between what is constructive/beneficial and what is straight up nonsense (i.e. rock-throwing…seriously, what is wrong with ppl??).

btw – i thoroughly enjoyed ur previous post. it’s funny bc my initial response to the picture was “who cares..what’s the big deal?” i guess growing up being on the receiving end of such mockery has caused me to become somewhat accepting of racist gestures/comments that aren’t outright hateful, but your post reminded me that ignorance is not as innocuous as it seems…it can be quite dangerous actually =T

keep speaking truth in love PE 🙂

ps – i think my sassy girl is so overrated. i had to watch it like 3 times bc i kept falling asleep during it. it wouldn’t even make my top 30.

15. LA Girl says:

Hi Pastor Eugene,

I just wanted to say a big THANK YOU from LA for writing your thoughts on my beautiful slanted eyes. You articulated well what many Asian-Americans feel, but are very tired of explaining. You are a blessing!

16. CC Farber says:

wow…they’re just movies!!!!

Country living.
I like. The secret to being grateful is no secret. You choose to be grateful. Then you do it again and again. Every day. If you forget, start again. Back to fishing...I mean, umm...back to writing a book. There's no such thing as a self-made person. Someone believed, encouraged, and invested in you. Be grateful and be that someone for others.

Taking a break from the sabbatical...to partner in ministry in Denver at Cherry Hills Church and at the CRU staff conference. It was such a gift to be able to encourage a handful of folks one-to-one, a small group of Asian-American leaders from EPIC, and the larger group of 5000 staff during one of the sessions.

I've been personally blessed, challenged, encouraged, exhorted, and convicted by so many who have poured into my life - friends, acquaintances, and even strangers - and I hope to do that for others as I seek to be faithful to Christ.

Thank you, Lord.
#cru17 Nothing grows by itself. If something matters to us, may we be intentional about growing it.

Invest. Pray. Plant. Water. Nurture. Repeat. God sees and knows us. In fact, God knows everything about us.

Not just the good we try so hard to project but even the mess we often seek to hide.

Let this soak in: Not only are we fully known but in Christ, we are fully pursued and loved.

This is grace.