angry emails

I enjoy blogging.  It’s therapeutic; allows me to be creative; and there are other various reasons why I blog.

The world wide web is a cool thing but every now and then, it gets a little weird.  For example, I get my share of random digital holy rebukes from strangers about all kinds of stuff including my least favorite “Just stick to Jesus” emails.  While I enjoy hosting dialogues on this blog, I do not enjoy receiving personal angry emails and borderline hate email.  Nope.  Not at all.   And every now and then, we get rocks thrown through our windows that may or may have nothing to do with me.  I hope not.

I received some intense emails this week because of my beautiful slanted eyes.  And enough over the past year or so that I had to remove all pictures and names of our kids from the blog, the church website, and even disconnect our home phone.  Sucks.

But interestingly, I get more angry emails from random web surfers over this post – which also happens to be the most viewed entry on my blog [30k+].

What are they angry about?  A film called “My Sassy Girl.”  Those SG fans drive me nuts.

Filed under: religion, technology, ,

1. Trust me I know. I write stuff about the environment, parental alienation and just daily writing. I have my own family members attacking me in email at times. Sometimes I privatize the blog entries but that’s a shame because some people need to hear stuff and that is the hardest thing sometimes.

2. chrismarlow says:

I’m also dealing with these issues. More from philosophical disagreements and all. Kinda of scary!!!

3. Maybe you should drop blogging and just stick to Jesus 🙂

Seriously, I really appreciate your blog and your willingness to share from your heart and not shy away from difficult topics.

I’ve learned alot from your “slanted eyes” post and the comments. As a white guy, my first thought when I heard the story of the Spanish team was that it was stupid and childish. I had a sense that this was insensitive, but didn’t realize how offensive this act could be, however. Hearing your stories, and those of others who’ve been on the receiving end of this has helped open my eyes (no pun intended).

I think some of the “it’s not that big a deal” pushback may come from those, like me, who have no desire to be “racist” — but may be in danger of doing something racist out of sheer ignorance. That’s why this type of dialogue is great — it’s a real iron sharpening iron situation.

I’m reminded of the quote — “it’s not a shame to be ignorant, but it’s a shame to stay that way.” Thank you for helping me be less ignorant.

4. Whew-eeee have I ever been there. I’ve been threatened by other local pastors before via email. I’ve had “Chrisitan” friends read posts and email me that they “now know who I really am” and how our friendship was a “lie.” I got those two because I used the word “suck” in a post.

It’s not just blogging though. I once wrote a letter to the editor in our local newspaper that had a guy calling my house every day until I threatened to call the police.

Keep on bloggin’ Eugere!

5. Jenny says:

I also enjoy reading all of your blogs.

Your “slanted eyes” blog has been the subject of a couple very good conversations with friends. It has also been a good reminder to all of us that our words and actions effect other people, sometimes even when we don’t mean for them to.

I just got an e-mail from my local library that “Sassy Girl” is ready for me to pick up. I ordered it (and some others) after reading your aforementioned list. Don’t worry, even if I don’t like it I won’t send hate mail.

I, for one, am learning from you (through your blog) and appreciate that very much.

6. Wow.

I was going to comment that you must be writing something worthwhile to get so many emails. But *that* post? Your movie list didn’t even MENTION “The Host” which is absolutely, without a doubt, the only Korean movie I can remember off the top of my head. (It’s also in my top 3 all time favorite films)

7. Tyler says:

What I’ll never understand is what those who write hate mail think their hate is going to accomplish.

8. Jesus says:

Repent, Eugene, repent.

9. warfront says:

not a bad idea
    wwwspywareremedy.wordpress.com

10. jimfox says:

no on reads my blog, so I am safe.

What kind of hate mail are you getting about Sassy Girl?!?!

11. jimfox says:

and, who is this Jesus you keep talking about? Could you tell me about him?

12. eugenecho says:

@jim: it’s kinda funny. hate mail because I have sassy girl only ranked #9 on my list instead of #1.

13. Aaron says:

I find it humerous (and sad at the same time) that you would get hate mail about your slanted eyes post. Seems to me like you have the right to express your opinion when you feel hurt, bothered, antagonized, etc. from something that has happened… that if your goal is to say something like “hey… this is not right… this bothers me” then there is nothing harmful in that.

For me, I realized from reading your blog I personally become very critical of some of the people/events that you write about…. so I have to be a little careful when reading some of your posts to respond with love. My initial response is often to lash out with criticism (either in written responses or in internal thoughts)… but I have a fat plank stuck in my eye and I can not seem to get it out.

14. olivia says:

hm..i think one reason for all the “hate” may have to do with the fact that there’s a lot of truth being spoken here. i find that haters of truth tend to retaliate in that way, just as many hated on jesus for telling it like it is. not to say that all criticism/questioning is bad, but hopefully the Lord will grant you the wisdom to discern between what is constructive/beneficial and what is straight up nonsense (i.e. rock-throwing…seriously, what is wrong with ppl??).

btw – i thoroughly enjoyed ur previous post. it’s funny bc my initial response to the picture was “who cares..what’s the big deal?” i guess growing up being on the receiving end of such mockery has caused me to become somewhat accepting of racist gestures/comments that aren’t outright hateful, but your post reminded me that ignorance is not as innocuous as it seems…it can be quite dangerous actually =T

keep speaking truth in love PE 🙂

ps – i think my sassy girl is so overrated. i had to watch it like 3 times bc i kept falling asleep during it. it wouldn’t even make my top 30.

15. LA Girl says:

Hi Pastor Eugene,

I just wanted to say a big THANK YOU from LA for writing your thoughts on my beautiful slanted eyes. You articulated well what many Asian-Americans feel, but are very tired of explaining. You are a blessing!

16. CC Farber says:

wow…they’re just movies!!!!

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 1 day ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 3 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 3 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 3 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 4 days ago
  • This is what we love to do. Empowering local, indigenous leaders to serve their own communities. Thanks for your su… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 5 days ago