angry emails

I enjoy blogging.  It’s therapeutic; allows me to be creative; and there are other various reasons why I blog.

The world wide web is a cool thing but every now and then, it gets a little weird.  For example, I get my share of random digital holy rebukes from strangers about all kinds of stuff including my least favorite “Just stick to Jesus” emails.  While I enjoy hosting dialogues on this blog, I do not enjoy receiving personal angry emails and borderline hate email.  Nope.  Not at all.   And every now and then, we get rocks thrown through our windows that may or may have nothing to do with me.  I hope not.

I received some intense emails this week because of my beautiful slanted eyes.  And enough over the past year or so that I had to remove all pictures and names of our kids from the blog, the church website, and even disconnect our home phone.  Sucks.

But interestingly, I get more angry emails from random web surfers over this post – which also happens to be the most viewed entry on my blog [30k+].

What are they angry about?  A film called “My Sassy Girl.”  Those SG fans drive me nuts.

Filed under: religion, technology, ,

1. Trust me I know. I write stuff about the environment, parental alienation and just daily writing. I have my own family members attacking me in email at times. Sometimes I privatize the blog entries but that’s a shame because some people need to hear stuff and that is the hardest thing sometimes.

2. chrismarlow says:

I’m also dealing with these issues. More from philosophical disagreements and all. Kinda of scary!!!

3. Maybe you should drop blogging and just stick to Jesus 🙂

Seriously, I really appreciate your blog and your willingness to share from your heart and not shy away from difficult topics.

I’ve learned alot from your “slanted eyes” post and the comments. As a white guy, my first thought when I heard the story of the Spanish team was that it was stupid and childish. I had a sense that this was insensitive, but didn’t realize how offensive this act could be, however. Hearing your stories, and those of others who’ve been on the receiving end of this has helped open my eyes (no pun intended).

I think some of the “it’s not that big a deal” pushback may come from those, like me, who have no desire to be “racist” — but may be in danger of doing something racist out of sheer ignorance. That’s why this type of dialogue is great — it’s a real iron sharpening iron situation.

I’m reminded of the quote — “it’s not a shame to be ignorant, but it’s a shame to stay that way.” Thank you for helping me be less ignorant.

4. Whew-eeee have I ever been there. I’ve been threatened by other local pastors before via email. I’ve had “Chrisitan” friends read posts and email me that they “now know who I really am” and how our friendship was a “lie.” I got those two because I used the word “suck” in a post.

It’s not just blogging though. I once wrote a letter to the editor in our local newspaper that had a guy calling my house every day until I threatened to call the police.

Keep on bloggin’ Eugere!

5. Jenny says:

I also enjoy reading all of your blogs.

Your “slanted eyes” blog has been the subject of a couple very good conversations with friends. It has also been a good reminder to all of us that our words and actions effect other people, sometimes even when we don’t mean for them to.

I just got an e-mail from my local library that “Sassy Girl” is ready for me to pick up. I ordered it (and some others) after reading your aforementioned list. Don’t worry, even if I don’t like it I won’t send hate mail.

I, for one, am learning from you (through your blog) and appreciate that very much.

6. Wow.

I was going to comment that you must be writing something worthwhile to get so many emails. But *that* post? Your movie list didn’t even MENTION “The Host” which is absolutely, without a doubt, the only Korean movie I can remember off the top of my head. (It’s also in my top 3 all time favorite films)

7. Tyler says:

What I’ll never understand is what those who write hate mail think their hate is going to accomplish.

8. Jesus says:

Repent, Eugene, repent.

9. warfront says:

not a bad idea
    wwwspywareremedy.wordpress.com

10. jimfox says:

no on reads my blog, so I am safe.

What kind of hate mail are you getting about Sassy Girl?!?!

11. jimfox says:

and, who is this Jesus you keep talking about? Could you tell me about him?

12. eugenecho says:

@jim: it’s kinda funny. hate mail because I have sassy girl only ranked #9 on my list instead of #1.

13. Aaron says:

I find it humerous (and sad at the same time) that you would get hate mail about your slanted eyes post. Seems to me like you have the right to express your opinion when you feel hurt, bothered, antagonized, etc. from something that has happened… that if your goal is to say something like “hey… this is not right… this bothers me” then there is nothing harmful in that.

For me, I realized from reading your blog I personally become very critical of some of the people/events that you write about…. so I have to be a little careful when reading some of your posts to respond with love. My initial response is often to lash out with criticism (either in written responses or in internal thoughts)… but I have a fat plank stuck in my eye and I can not seem to get it out.

14. olivia says:

hm..i think one reason for all the “hate” may have to do with the fact that there’s a lot of truth being spoken here. i find that haters of truth tend to retaliate in that way, just as many hated on jesus for telling it like it is. not to say that all criticism/questioning is bad, but hopefully the Lord will grant you the wisdom to discern between what is constructive/beneficial and what is straight up nonsense (i.e. rock-throwing…seriously, what is wrong with ppl??).

btw – i thoroughly enjoyed ur previous post. it’s funny bc my initial response to the picture was “who cares..what’s the big deal?” i guess growing up being on the receiving end of such mockery has caused me to become somewhat accepting of racist gestures/comments that aren’t outright hateful, but your post reminded me that ignorance is not as innocuous as it seems…it can be quite dangerous actually =T

keep speaking truth in love PE 🙂

ps – i think my sassy girl is so overrated. i had to watch it like 3 times bc i kept falling asleep during it. it wouldn’t even make my top 30.

15. LA Girl says:

Hi Pastor Eugene,

I just wanted to say a big THANK YOU from LA for writing your thoughts on my beautiful slanted eyes. You articulated well what many Asian-Americans feel, but are very tired of explaining. You are a blessing!

16. CC Farber says:

wow…they’re just movies!!!!

Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest Took a train to Busan. Did not encounter any zombies but I was ready just in case.

Busan. First visit to this city (couple weeks ago) and was blown away by its beauty. Also, shocked that it has become the fifth largest containment port city in the world. That's a lot of import and export.

#MyAttemptToBeTheBestSmartphonePhotographer
#Pusan #SouthKorea

• Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 6 hours ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 6 hours ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 6 hours ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 2 days ago
  • Father, bless these Iraqi and Syrian refugee children that have already endured so much. As we pray, teach us how t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 4 days ago
  • Pray for Iraq. Pray for persecuted Church, minority groups (Yezidis) and Muslims alike who are suffering under ISIS: instagram.com/p/BZF2j6Ngrna/ || 4 days ago