2008 beijing olympics

It would have been nice if we could have swung over to Beijing [from Korea] to catch the 2008 Summer Olympics. We tried and inquired but airplane ticket prices and lodging fees were insane. We could have stayed at friends’ homes in other cities China but we estimated the drive would have been about 72 hours and 36 hours each way.

But regardless, my entire family is very excited about the soaking in the Olympics over the next several weeks even though I’ll certainly miss the persona and voice of Jim McCay.

There’s something very special about the Olympics. The sporting events [302 events] obviously are exciting but it’s a great opportunity to capture a glimpse of the larger world and the “stories” of so many different people [10,500 athletes are expected to compete].

Questions:

1. What’s your all-time favorite Olympic memory?
2. If you had one EVENT or ATHLETE to follow, what or who would it be?

My answers:
1. Favorite memory. I’m going to cheat and share two:

Gymnastics. I know. I know. But who could not mesmerized by the “Magnificent Seven” of the 1996 Olympics and Kerri Strug’s near perfect vault landing on her gimpy leg. I can still hear Bela Karolyi saying, “You Can Do It.”

Marathon: Korean Hwang Young Cho won the marathon the 1992 Oympics in Barcelona in only his 4th marathon in his career. It was a stunning victory and uplifted the nation of Korea.

2.  Like many others, I’ll be paying special attention to swimmer Michael Phelps and his quest for 8 gold medals.  And yes, I’ll also be following the Men’s Basketball Redeem Team.  Clearly, they are the most “talented” group of players but I still have serious doubts if they can win the gold as a team.

Filed under: sports, , ,

1. Sammie says:

Eugene,

Kerri was actually a copycat. Have you heard about Shun Fujimoto. I actually saw this on TV and it was incredible.

“Montreal 1976. In the gymnastics team competition, Shun Fujimoto, of Japan, breaks his knee in the floor exercise and does not tell his team-mates for fear of affecting their morale. He completes the pommel horse and then the rings, finishing with a triple somersault on to his knee. He climbed the podium to collect his gold medal unaided.”

2. DK says:

I like Phelps but I still think his accomplishments will pale in comparison to Mark Spitz at the tragic Munich games.

7 events. 7 gold medals. 7 world records.

Simply amazing and the number is also biblical. 🙂

If you count the Winter games, put down the 1984 US Hockey Team down as one of the greatest memories.

3. Kevin Davis says:

I’m a wrestling freak – so Rolun Gardners upset of the Russian wrestling God in 2000 is probably my fav. This year I’ll be following wrestling, streaming online and follow Jake Dietchler. He is an 18 year old, just graduated from high school and is incredible – we’ll see how he does on the largest stage in the world.

4. DK says:

Wow. Maybe people don’t really care about the Olympics anymore.

5. I love the Olympics. But the IOC really screwed this one up. We should not be in Beijing. We (the USA) should not be aiding in the totalitarian regime that is oppressing so many people who don’t agree with the government. Boycott the 08 Olympics.

6. aLi. says:

Eugene, this is totally off topic, but I’m wondering if you saw the interview with the Chapman family on ABC NEWS. Here are the links, just in case.

7. randplaty says:

The Olympics are always full of so many great stories. Looking forward to it.

8. Michelle says:

oh! i’m definitely following allyson felix! she’s one of my friends from high school and she’s running the 200m and possibly the 4×100 and 4×400 relays. she got silver in the 200m in 2004 and really shows humility and integrity. watch for her! 🙂

9. gar says:

I’ve always liked watching any event with a race – track, swimming, bicycling, etc.. It’s pretty easy to understand for a guy like me – sometimes the whole scoring systems for particular sports make them harder to watch, and I feel like it’s more subjective. In a race, you’re either faster than the other person, or you’re not.

I also like watching the martial art type events – judo, taekwondo, fencing.

Lastly… baseball and basketball! Sad that this might be baseball’s last Olympics…

10. Tyler says:

Favorite moment….ali lighting the flame

sport im watching….swimming

11. eugenecho says:

@aLi: no, i didn’t see those interviews but assumed they made their first post tragedy interviews because of the number visitors to the posts on schapman. but i did see their family’s interview with larry king last night.

12. JB says:

Favorite olympian: Joan Benoit, of course. Winner of the first ever women’s olympic marathon. Before ’84, they didn’t allow women to race the marathon because, well, you all know how fragile we are. That kind of distance might cause us to expire, or maybe just perspire, which is so unwomanly.

JB won gold after injuring herself in the olympic trials and having knee surgery. She maintained her fitness using a modified bike she pumped with her arms.

Her performance inspired me to run a marathon (two actually) just so that if someone asked if I was Joan Benoit the marathoner I could honestly say “yes”. I ran under my first name, however, so that someone reading the results sheets wouldn’t think that “the” joan benoit got lost on the course or ran it twice or something.

13. Melissa says:

I always follow men’s diving.

14. Jake says:

Yay! This is one of the first Olympics that I’ll watch and support simply because China is hosting it.

After watching the opening ceremonies I felt so proud of China! Can’t believe how much it has changed.

Very impressed 🙂

We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on. I have to remind myself of this every day...because I can forget every day:

Don't be lazy and make assumptions about people. Ask about their story. Then listen. Be humble. Be teachable. Be human. Be a good neighbor.