2008 beijing olympics

It would have been nice if we could have swung over to Beijing [from Korea] to catch the 2008 Summer Olympics. We tried and inquired but airplane ticket prices and lodging fees were insane. We could have stayed at friends’ homes in other cities China but we estimated the drive would have been about 72 hours and 36 hours each way.

But regardless, my entire family is very excited about the soaking in the Olympics over the next several weeks even though I’ll certainly miss the persona and voice of Jim McCay.

There’s something very special about the Olympics. The sporting events [302 events] obviously are exciting but it’s a great opportunity to capture a glimpse of the larger world and the “stories” of so many different people [10,500 athletes are expected to compete].

Questions:

1. What’s your all-time favorite Olympic memory?
2. If you had one EVENT or ATHLETE to follow, what or who would it be?

My answers:
1. Favorite memory. I’m going to cheat and share two:

Gymnastics. I know. I know. But who could not mesmerized by the “Magnificent Seven” of the 1996 Olympics and Kerri Strug’s near perfect vault landing on her gimpy leg. I can still hear Bela Karolyi saying, “You Can Do It.”

Marathon: Korean Hwang Young Cho won the marathon the 1992 Oympics in Barcelona in only his 4th marathon in his career. It was a stunning victory and uplifted the nation of Korea.

2.  Like many others, I’ll be paying special attention to swimmer Michael Phelps and his quest for 8 gold medals.  And yes, I’ll also be following the Men’s Basketball Redeem Team.  Clearly, they are the most “talented” group of players but I still have serious doubts if they can win the gold as a team.

Filed under: sports, , ,

1. Sammie says:

Eugene,

Kerri was actually a copycat. Have you heard about Shun Fujimoto. I actually saw this on TV and it was incredible.

“Montreal 1976. In the gymnastics team competition, Shun Fujimoto, of Japan, breaks his knee in the floor exercise and does not tell his team-mates for fear of affecting their morale. He completes the pommel horse and then the rings, finishing with a triple somersault on to his knee. He climbed the podium to collect his gold medal unaided.”

2. DK says:

I like Phelps but I still think his accomplishments will pale in comparison to Mark Spitz at the tragic Munich games.

7 events. 7 gold medals. 7 world records.

Simply amazing and the number is also biblical. 🙂

If you count the Winter games, put down the 1984 US Hockey Team down as one of the greatest memories.

3. Kevin Davis says:

I’m a wrestling freak – so Rolun Gardners upset of the Russian wrestling God in 2000 is probably my fav. This year I’ll be following wrestling, streaming online and follow Jake Dietchler. He is an 18 year old, just graduated from high school and is incredible – we’ll see how he does on the largest stage in the world.

4. DK says:

Wow. Maybe people don’t really care about the Olympics anymore.

5. I love the Olympics. But the IOC really screwed this one up. We should not be in Beijing. We (the USA) should not be aiding in the totalitarian regime that is oppressing so many people who don’t agree with the government. Boycott the 08 Olympics.

6. aLi. says:

Eugene, this is totally off topic, but I’m wondering if you saw the interview with the Chapman family on ABC NEWS. Here are the links, just in case.

7. randplaty says:

The Olympics are always full of so many great stories. Looking forward to it.

8. Michelle says:

oh! i’m definitely following allyson felix! she’s one of my friends from high school and she’s running the 200m and possibly the 4×100 and 4×400 relays. she got silver in the 200m in 2004 and really shows humility and integrity. watch for her! 🙂

9. gar says:

I’ve always liked watching any event with a race – track, swimming, bicycling, etc.. It’s pretty easy to understand for a guy like me – sometimes the whole scoring systems for particular sports make them harder to watch, and I feel like it’s more subjective. In a race, you’re either faster than the other person, or you’re not.

I also like watching the martial art type events – judo, taekwondo, fencing.

Lastly… baseball and basketball! Sad that this might be baseball’s last Olympics…

10. Tyler says:

Favorite moment….ali lighting the flame

sport im watching….swimming

11. eugenecho says:

@aLi: no, i didn’t see those interviews but assumed they made their first post tragedy interviews because of the number visitors to the posts on schapman. but i did see their family’s interview with larry king last night.

12. JB says:

Favorite olympian: Joan Benoit, of course. Winner of the first ever women’s olympic marathon. Before ’84, they didn’t allow women to race the marathon because, well, you all know how fragile we are. That kind of distance might cause us to expire, or maybe just perspire, which is so unwomanly.

JB won gold after injuring herself in the olympic trials and having knee surgery. She maintained her fitness using a modified bike she pumped with her arms.

Her performance inspired me to run a marathon (two actually) just so that if someone asked if I was Joan Benoit the marathoner I could honestly say “yes”. I ran under my first name, however, so that someone reading the results sheets wouldn’t think that “the” joan benoit got lost on the course or ran it twice or something.

13. Melissa says:

I always follow men’s diving.

14. Jake says:

Yay! This is one of the first Olympics that I’ll watch and support simply because China is hosting it.

After watching the opening ceremonies I felt so proud of China! Can’t believe how much it has changed.

Very impressed 🙂

Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. Thanks for your prayers.
I have numerous stories to share but for now, the following came up in every conversation with Iraqi/Syrian refugees:

1 Have tea with us. Or coffee. Or juice. Or something with lots of sugar in it. Or better yet, all of the above.
2 We want peace. We want security.
3 We hate ISIS.
4 We just want to go home.
5 Please don't forget us.

Please don't forget them... Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest

• Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 2 days ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 2 days ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 2 days ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 4 days ago
  • Father, bless these Iraqi and Syrian refugee children that have already endured so much. As we pray, teach us how t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 6 days ago
  • Pray for Iraq. Pray for persecuted Church, minority groups (Yezidis) and Muslims alike who are suffering under ISIS: instagram.com/p/BZF2j6Ngrna/ || 6 days ago