if [my daughter] had $100,000…

As Minhee and I work towards launching a humanitarian organization later this year [once the 501c3 is officially issued], we’ve been enjoying opportunities to speak to our children about why we’ve made the decision and how it will impact our family.  We share with our kids about our faith in Christ and our desire to be agents of mercy, justice, and humility – both locally and globally.   But in many ways, our children are the ones that often challenge us with their sense of compassion.

[During my current sabbatical, I’ll be reposting some old posts for your reading pleasure.]

My oldest daughter who’s in 4th grade had a homework assignment this week where she was asked to write an essay about how she would help others if she had $100,000.  What a coincidence since that’s the amount we’ve pledged.  Anyways, I read it on Sunday night and was floored.

Read her essay below and check out the “vision plan” that she drew out.  I’m so immensely proud and privileged to be a father to my three children.  Okay, so the amounts in the essay don’t exactly add up to 100K but you get the point!

copy-of-100kplan.jpg

If I had $100,000, I would send them to far away places.  I have learned about these places because my church has raised some money to Africa.

I would like to give $500 to Uganda. $300 to India, $200 to Congo, $250 to Kenya and $150 to Sudan and $1,000 to Kyrgyzstan.  All the money is for schools in Uganda, India, Congo, Kenya and Sudan. I also like to help people, and animals. So I would give $400 to orphanages and $100 to build an animal shelter. I would donate $500 to let each orphan go to school and learn the same thing as other children.

I want to help autistic children. Because I have a friend who need special help in public schools. I want to donate $300 to build a school for them. I also want to be a doctor. So I thought I could donate $200 to build a hospital in Kenya. I also thought of myself since I have a skin problem.  So do a lot of people in the world. There aren’t a lot of dermatologists in the world so I can donate $400 to build a dermatology hospital. I also truly want to help Whittier Elementary. So I want give $200 for the playground and $6,000 for supplies, school lunches and other things for Whittier.

I also thought about Asia and especially for North Korea. My great grandparents and grandfather are from North Korea. There are so many people who don’t have food to eat.  So I want to give North Korea $200 to buy food and $50 to build a market because they do not have enough food. And I want to build a school that’s FREE in China. I also thought of the world we live in. So I want to donate $600 to plant trees and flowers. And the rest I want to give to families around the world that actually need money. The reason why I want to help all of these people, things and places is because I want to see more smiles on peoples’ faces.  I want the world to be a better place and I also want to see lots of happy kids.  I want to see many healthy and happy people all over the world!

Filed under: family, religion, ,

1. J. P. says:

i’m speechl…

2. Ragamuffin280 says:

That’s just awesome! Props to you on raising such a global-minded child.

3. minna says:

PE …
    my eyes welled up when i read your daughter’s essay. she is such a great witness! you and your wife really should be so proud to be a part of shaping her to be such an amazing little lady with such a heart for others! props, PE, props!!

4. RyanBD says:

Seriously, that’s a glimpse of why Jesus said “the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to such as these” in Mt. 19. Go little Cho, go.

5. Teresa says:

She sounds a lot like you and Minhee:) Nice job!

6. andrew says:

Often times, it is because of children that I find much hope about the future. Somehow, maybe they’ll be able to forgive us. Learn the positives that we’ve been able to show and move forward with greater courage and grace.

7. yglin says:

she gave $6,000 to her elementary school and $150-$1000 to 3rd world nations. she knows that $6,000 isn’t as valuable here in the US as $150-$1000 in developing countries. you have a young economist on your hands!

-yung

8. david says:

inspiring and humbling all at the same time…maybe thats part of what He meant when He said to become like children…

9. e cho says:

yglin: that or her school is brainwashing her!

10. Stef says:

out of the mouths of babes…

11. Deanne says:

she’s pretty much awesome.

12. YK Yea says:

wow. very precious and thanks for sharing.

13. Becky Eemo says:

How incredibly beautiful. I am tears after reading this. What a beautiful, beautiful heart she has.

14. Jonghee Jo says:

Wow she has a beautiful heart. You and Minhee must have been wonderful parents to her! I’m so impressed.

15. Jessica says:

Now that’s a leader in the making!

16. […] I read what Eugene Cho’s kid wanted to do with $100,000 (all of it altruistic, for those of you who don’t click through), it gave me a glimmer of […]

17. Blake says:

Wow, PE… She’s incredible. You sure you didn’t just post this so you could get affirmation on your obviously awesome parenting skills? 😉 jk.

18. e cho says:

i could pass for writing that. but for the drawing, i don’t have those skills.

honestly, i really think that many of us as children think in these beautiful and ideal ways. the older we can, the more skeptical, cynical, and egotistical we can get.

at least, that’s my story…

19. tok cho says:

I am so proud of being your grandparent.
    Great , juby

20. JB says:

Awesome! She’s got brains and heart. I’m completely confident that when the time comes she’ll find whatever other resources she needs to do great things.

21. Dennis says:

I can’t wait for her to start blogging like her dad… =)

22. sarcasticredheadedgeek says:

You have done a terrific job raising a great daughter!

23. Donna says:

Beautiful…that brought tears to my eyes. How blessed you both are to have such a daughter. God is so good.

24. daphne says:

What a kid!!!

25. Will says:

Bro. words don’t come close….

26. Paul says:

this post, like the last one where we couldn’t post anything (!!!), is about the heart. it’s about more than our treasures. jesus says where our treasures are there is our heart and its desires. don’t place the desires of your heart in earthly things where it will inevitably waste away. place our hearts in heavenly things. this precious girl’s heart is in the right place in my book! (an aside for church folk–when people give money, they’re actually being good stewards of their heart…not just their money.)

27. rk says:

pastor eugene, this is the best thing i’ve read in a long time! your girl just made me cry and i am going to talk share it in my blog!

28. gar says:

I like the mind-map. Good job to whatever teacher taught her the importance of pre-writing… haha. =)

29. […] Eugene Cho has a nice letter his daughter wrote on what she would do with […]

30. iy. says:

that is amazing. i love that $50 goes to build a market in NK but $100 goes to animals and $600 to plant flowers and trees. i love that the numbers doesn’t make any sense! what an awesome essay. i hope her teacher is amazed and touched and laughs a lot. =)

Minhee and I met these college boys when we first arrived in Seattle in 1997. They were part of our bible study that we led in our apartment for college students. They were also among the group of 7 people that helped start @seattlequest.

Much has changed in the world...but not their friendship and love. Thank you Jin and George. We love and honor you. These are crazy times in our country and larger world but nevertheless, we're going to keep pursuing the things that God has placed upon our hearts. We're pressing forward...doing our part to reflect mercy, compassion, and justice - locally and globally.

Wednesdays are my @onedayswages office day and I especially love the culmination of hard work for our interns, volunteers, 2 full-time staff, and board as we collaborate with our NGO partners. This week, we signed these checks as we granted out over $75,000 to provide better health care for mothers and their families in Mali and Nepal.

THANK YOU for making this possible Your classic play it cool because you're visiting your old stomping grounds at Princeton and pretend you're not cold but in actuality, you're freezing picture. 20 years, 2 weeks, and counting. What a journey with this woman. I love her...and I want to keep growing in love, honor, and respect. Great to catch up with @jlin7 in Brooklyn at the Nets game. Grateful for his partnership with @onedayswages to support our Girls' Empowerment Fund. The season hasn't been what he hoped for with major injuries...but we can't wait to see you back on the court soon and do what you do. Stay encouraged, brother. Thanks for your faithful witness for Christ. Playoffs! Let's go #11. Point Guard. Living my hoop dreams through my girl.

pc: ed tanaka

• Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 10 hours ago
  • The statement,"Theology doesn't matter.I just want to love Jesus!" is in itself a theological statement & proof why theology really matters. || 21 hours ago
  • Never forget. 75 years ago today (2/19/42), the USA govt issued Executive Order 9066 to send 120,000 Japanese Ameri… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 2 days ago
  • Seeking justice is part of our discipleship. In other words, seek justice not just to change the world...but to be changed more like Christ. || 3 days ago
  • Honored to have @efremsmith at Quest Church tomorrow as we continue in our annual Faith and Race series. Join us. -… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 3 days ago
  • I rarely pray for the press but lately, praying 4 their honesty & courage. Whatever our political views, we need th… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 4 days ago