using facebook to fight global poverty

After mocking social networking sites for awhile, I finally joined Facebook one year ago.  And while there are still some things that I strongly dislike about Facebook [e.g. constant invitations to Applications], I am a big fan.  It works.  I’ve reconnected with friends from high school and college.  And Facebook is helping me to stay connected to the growing community at Quest.

But asides from just connecting with past and current friends, I’ve been dreaming how to leverage the power of technology and the internet to further social causes.  This is one of the primary hopes with the new organization we are working on.  How do we utilize and converge technology and human relationships to fight global poverty?

With that in mind, I started this GROUP on FacebookBecause we haven’t yet publicly revealed the name of the organization, we thought of the catchiest name:  “For each person that joins, we will donate $1 to fight Global Poverty.”

We need your help. My wife and I [and our three children] want to sincerely invite you to join us in helping Fight Global Poverty. We will donate $1 to the cause of global poverty for EACH person that JOINS this group – with hopes of this group growing to at least 100,000 people.

We might not be able to save the world but we can certainly make a difference in a family, a town, a village… Even a few dollars can make a difference.

Why are we doing this? Our motivation is not to appear altruistic or righteous. We don’t want any pats on the back. We are simply convicted to ACT. We can’t afford to not do anything. We have decided to make some life decisions to give $100,000 to fight global poverty through a new Humanitarian Organization and simply ask that you consider learning together how we can CARE and ACT. Together, we believe we can make a difference.

Our hope is that AT LEAST 100,000 people will join by the end of August because our conviction is to donate $100,000 in hopes of encouraging others to consider giving.  Thus far, 21,119 people have joined since the group started one month ago.  Our goal is to launch the organization in September and we hope to leverage this group to help build momentum.

Would you help us?  It’ll take you no more than 5 minutes but if you can help us with these simple five ideas, it’ll be a great help to our organization.

1 ► If you haven’t done so, please join the group – CLICK “Join this Group”
2 ► CLICK on “Invite People to Join.”
3 ► SELECT all of the friends that you want to join.  Think strategically about friends who might invite other friends.  Think of friends who are strategically located around the world.
4 ► CLICK on “Send invitation”
5 ► SHARE on your “Posted Items.”  This may be the most effective way of spreading the group.  After you’ve joined, would you simply share the group amongst your “Posted Items.”

Question: Any other ideas you have?

Filed under: family, health, technology,

1. Kacy says:

I am actually a member of face book and never had the time to really delve deep into the benefits of what site can do for people aside from making friends. Your idea will certainly be put to the test “and work”

2. ripplegirl says:

To be honest I have been sceptical of groups like this, not understanding how the process works. But I guess if you have made that commitment then it makes sense and I will join and invite others.

3. Andrew says:

Great idea. I joined and have invited as many folks as possible. Good luck to you.

4. Daniel says:

Joined! I love ideas of “leveraging” technology for good.

5. minabina123 says:

I think that using Face book is a good idea! Nice work! I’ll see if I can join!

6. gettheconcept says:

I have tried the social networking thing.

I think its probably really fun if you’re in school. But so many of the social networks seem to have a lot of people on the sites with empty content, (i.e., the users don’t and cannot write,) that they reling too heavily on sophomoric applications that reduce the users to electronic popularity contests and product placement campaigns. That is why I for one are switching switching over toe

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

7. Aaron says:

Have you heard of milliondollarhomepage.com? Basicly, some kid decided he would sell blocks of pixels on his site. $1 per pixel. (The smallest you could buy was like 10×10.) But anyways, its all advertising. He was in the news for his website, and I think he actually made $1 million off of the idea… seems pretty crazy to me but he raised a whole lot of money (probably for himself though).

I only mention this because it seems like the closest thing I could think of to what you are doing with the facebook idea. Maybe it will give you some more ideas on how to rase $1 at a time!

8. […] click here for the original post or keep reading  […]

9. leftoverkumquats says:

I don’t understand enterprises like this. If you commit to X dollars per person and your goal is say in this case 100,000 people, why not just donate the $100,000 straight up? Sure you could say I am promoting global awareness but most people that join these groups do so and then completely forget about it, investing no less time than a click of a button and your promise to donate $1 in edgewise.

I’m not condoning your project, just questioning how efficient it is.

10. eugenecho says:

@leftoverkumquats: good question. it’ll make sense in about 6-8 weeks.

11. Jred says:

Have you ever used KIVA? I recently discovered it and it’s pretty amazing. The person won the Nobel Peace prize (if I’m not mistaken) and it’s a noble goal of alleviating world poverty through micro no interest loans. I like being able to read through people’s stories and giving them money to better their lives. When they pay it back then I can pass the money on to the next person. Honestly I don’t really care if I get paid back, but when they do it gives money to the next project. I don’t know. I just thought you might be interested and it might fit in with what you are doing. http://www.kiva.org/

Your use of facebook made me think of how they are also using facebook. It’s a good use of technology.

12. eugenecho says:

@Jred: yeah, KIVA is great. it’s an example of how philantropy is changing and how they’re leveraging technology for good.

also, they haven’t won the nobel peace prize. you’re thinking of muhummad yunus who put microcredit/lending into effective motion to empower the poor.

13. invited all my friends. 😀

14. mattbusby says:

Speaking of leveraging technology for good, have you heard of searchkindly.org? It is a search engine that uses Google but it donates any profits it makes on advertising when you visit the site. I know it is probably less than a penny per visit but I remember reading on there that if they can generate 1 million page views a day it is something like $12,000/day! And you get to vote on which charity gets the money that month. So if nothing else maybe you could register your humanitarian group with them come September.

15. djchuang says:

I’ve used http://www.chipin.com/ to do a short-run online fundraiser. What’s nice about chipin.com is its integration with Paypal (who doesn’t have a Paypal account now?) and the live thermometer that instantly shows the progress of donations made online, live!

16. […] comes from my friend Eugene Cho using facebook to fight global poverty After mocking social networking sites for awhile, I finally joined Facebook one year ago. And while […]

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 10 hours ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 2 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 2 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 2 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 3 days ago
  • This is what we love to do. Empowering local, indigenous leaders to serve their own communities. Thanks for your su… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 3 days ago