changing the world with peanut butter

If each person does their part, if each person pursues their convictions, if each person lives with kindness and generosity, if each Christian not only believes in Jesus but follows the Way of Christ, can you imagine the difference we can make?   We can do our part to change the world.

The gift of choice and Free Will can be a beautiful thing.  This is the great privilege that we have as the image bearers of God…we can reflect the beauty of God through our lives.  We can make choices to reflect His glory, honor, justice, and beauty.

Below is a brief story of a family at Quest doing their part to make a difference…starting with 29 jars of peanut butter.

So today is June 3rd, Hunger Awareness Day.

This year ethan, momma and dada collected items for FamilyWorks food bank.  FamilyWorks is one of our neighbourhood food banks.

We collected 155 jars of baby food, 29 jars of peanut butter, 11 packs of rice cereal, 70+/- diapers, plus some other great items (including adult breakfast cereal).

Thank you to everyone who contributed!

These items, modest amount though they are, will be used really well.  Think about it: if a living family next door to you or a child beside you on the bus was hungry, wouldn’t you want to do something about it?  It’s the same way with local community food collection.  Every meal is someone’s meal.

Some statistics you may not have read before: Nearly 45% of individuals that use a food bank, meal program, or shelter in Western Washington have some form of post-secondary education. Only 15% are homeless.  37% of the hungry people served are children.  60,000 people in the city of Seattle rely on food banks for basic needs. With increases in gas and food, the need is just increasing.

If you didn’t have a chance to contribute this year, you can still donate to a local food bank at any time.  If you want help figuring out the information for one local to you, just send me an email and I can send it right back to you.

emily, nathan & ethan

Filed under: family, religion

1. Janet says:

Thanks for sharing this! I love this quote:

“Every meal is someone’s meal…”

2. Teresa says:

Thanks for sharing this! Makes it very practical and personal that we can all DO someting!

3. Randall says:

I love that there’s a baby in the midst of all the food that’s about to be donated. If we could train the next generation to judge themselves not by what they own but by what they give away, what an amazing world this could be.

Makes me think of this former post of yours.

4. justin says:

when i read the title of your post, i thought you were going to talk about this british PSA about saving children w/ peanut butter:
    [video src="http://motionographermedia.com/simonrobson/clever.mp4" /]

5. Andrea says:

I’d never seen that British PSA and really didn’t know that about peanut butter. Very interesting. Though, I’m not sure there are many countries that eat it, which would be a barrier to providing it. Kind of like when the government dropped sandwiches on Afghanistan and they didn’t know what to do with them so they fed them to the livestock.

6. eugenecho says:

I have confirmed with nathan and emily that they are not donating their son.

Junior high - Check
14th birthday - Check
Tallest in family - Check
Selfie Master - Check

Still my baby son! This was 10 years ago. I dominated my son in wrestling and I know what you're thinking, "How could you employ a rear chokehold armbar kimura on your own son?" Hey, a competition is a competition.

I love you, son. The world is broken. This ia a sad truth. But the story of redemption is not yet finished. God is not yet done. This is the ultimate Truth. Have hope. Press on. Ten years ago, I witnessed one of those "God things" when a church called Interbay Covenant Church gave itself, its legacy, and a building property worth $7 million dollars to @seattlequest. We were then only 5 years old.

Quest is an urban, multiethnic churchplant that started in 2001. We rented the facilities at Interbay Covenant Church - a predominantly older, mostly Anglo congregation with a rich 65 years history. After some time, Pastor Ray Bartel (senior pastor, Interbay) approached me with a "crazy idea" of Interbay "dying to itself and giving itself to Quest" for the sake of the greater Kingdom and the coming generations.

This eventually led to three years of many conversations and prayers. On June 3, 2007, the two churches officially came together to become one church. In giving itself, Interbay also shared their leadership, legacy, and stories. They also gave all of their assets without any strings and without any debt.

Their radical generosity and courage is what enabled Quest to grow - not just numerically - but deeper in discipleship, and deeper in missions - to the city of Seattle and beyond. On the occasion of the 10th anniversary of this merger, we created a short film (check my FB page to see the video) to tell the story - so that our church and the next generations may never forget and that the larger Church may be stirred and encouraged by a greater Kingdom vision.

Thank you, Interbay! The NBA season is over but the hustle and grind continues for my daughter. We argue sometimes but I love training my daughter. She's working hard for her senior year next year. Starting point guard. She's improved a lot. She's one of the quickest players on the floor and has a great midrange jumper. But trying to get her to keep working on her handles, using her off hand and shoulder to protect the ball,  staying and dribbling the ball lower to the ground, and playing aggressive and downhill while remaining in control. That's what we're working on this week. #hoopdreams #ChovarBall Reunited with my favorite elephant, Buh'loom. We bonded earlier this year and I'd like to think that she recognized my voice. Also, appreciate learning about ethical and sustainable eco-tourism.