changing the world with peanut butter

If each person does their part, if each person pursues their convictions, if each person lives with kindness and generosity, if each Christian not only believes in Jesus but follows the Way of Christ, can you imagine the difference we can make?   We can do our part to change the world.

The gift of choice and Free Will can be a beautiful thing.  This is the great privilege that we have as the image bearers of God…we can reflect the beauty of God through our lives.  We can make choices to reflect His glory, honor, justice, and beauty.

Below is a brief story of a family at Quest doing their part to make a difference…starting with 29 jars of peanut butter.

So today is June 3rd, Hunger Awareness Day.

This year ethan, momma and dada collected items for FamilyWorks food bank.  FamilyWorks is one of our neighbourhood food banks.

We collected 155 jars of baby food, 29 jars of peanut butter, 11 packs of rice cereal, 70+/- diapers, plus some other great items (including adult breakfast cereal).

Thank you to everyone who contributed!

These items, modest amount though they are, will be used really well.  Think about it: if a living family next door to you or a child beside you on the bus was hungry, wouldn’t you want to do something about it?  It’s the same way with local community food collection.  Every meal is someone’s meal.

Some statistics you may not have read before: Nearly 45% of individuals that use a food bank, meal program, or shelter in Western Washington have some form of post-secondary education. Only 15% are homeless.  37% of the hungry people served are children.  60,000 people in the city of Seattle rely on food banks for basic needs. With increases in gas and food, the need is just increasing.

If you didn’t have a chance to contribute this year, you can still donate to a local food bank at any time.  If you want help figuring out the information for one local to you, just send me an email and I can send it right back to you.

emily, nathan & ethan

Filed under: family, religion

1. Janet says:

Thanks for sharing this! I love this quote:

“Every meal is someone’s meal…”

2. Teresa says:

Thanks for sharing this! Makes it very practical and personal that we can all DO someting!

3. Randall says:

I love that there’s a baby in the midst of all the food that’s about to be donated. If we could train the next generation to judge themselves not by what they own but by what they give away, what an amazing world this could be.

Makes me think of this former post of yours.

4. justin says:

when i read the title of your post, i thought you were going to talk about this british PSA about saving children w/ peanut butter:
    [video src="http://motionographermedia.com/simonrobson/clever.mp4" /]

5. Andrea says:

I’d never seen that British PSA and really didn’t know that about peanut butter. Very interesting. Though, I’m not sure there are many countries that eat it, which would be a barrier to providing it. Kind of like when the government dropped sandwiches on Afghanistan and they didn’t know what to do with them so they fed them to the livestock.

6. eugenecho says:

I have confirmed with nathan and emily that they are not donating their son.

Everyone loves the idea of  reconciliation...until it involves truthtelling, confessing, repenting, dismantling, forgiving, and peacemaking. Charlottesville. So heartbreaking and infuriating. We weep and mourn over the hatred in the hearts of these white nationalists. We weep and mourn but we can't be defeated.

As I stare at this photo that's making its round on the internet, I'm reminded of the utter importance of showing up. I'm grateful for the news media, law enforcement, clergy, and peaceful protesters that are currently there to report, protect, pray, and protest.

And this is an invitation to us. May we not be mere bystanders. May we keep pressing forward. Seek justice. Love mercy. Walk humbly. Commit to truth-telling, justice, reconciliation, peacemaking. Follow the ways of Christ. Every day. And it's important to note that we don't have to go to Charlottesville to do this. In fact, it's more important that we do this exactly where we're at. May we live out the call to reconciliation in our churches, workplaces, neighborhoods, schools, and around our dining tables. Lord, may it be so... We don't have to go to Charlottesville to do this. We have to do this wherever were called to be.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” ~ Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. /// Thanks to those who let me know that the photo wasn't actually from today but rather from last month in Charlottesville. - https://www.facebook.com/FrankSomervilleKTVU/posts/1551137301616258:0 Grateful for a spontaneous, last minute trip with Minhee to my old stomping grounds - San Francisco. 48 hours of visiting this special city that I called home for so many years.

Pic 1: Went to the Cliff House restaurant where we got engaged about 21 years ago to make out. Oops, sorry, I meant...to reflect on God's faithfulness over these many years.

Pic 2: Walked across the Golden Gate Bridge because it's such an iconic place - with some of the most incredible views.

Pic 3: Enjoyed a glass of some Cabernet Sauvignon and pretended to be wine connoisseurs at a vineyard.

Pic 4: Had lunch at my favorite Chinese restaurant, Sam Tung, which boasts some of the best chicken in the country. And of course, we ate at In-n-out.

Pic 5: And finally, celebrated with the good folks at @thefreedomstory where @onedayswages received their annual Freedom Award. What an honor.

Grateful. Thankful for this sabbatical. Breathe.

Show yourself some grace.

We can't do everything for everyone in every situation. Do what you can and do it with a joyful heart.

Amen A family that eats sushi together stays together.

Seriously, I don't ever remember eating so much as a teenager but these kids eat and eat and eat. Perhaps, the reason why this kid is pushing 6 feet tall. Grateful for a special treat with the family at @JaponessaSeattle. I'm sharing an obligatory, "I love and appreciate my wife, she's amazing" photo. Also...because I did something naughty...or brilliant. ;) Seattle is in the midst of a crazy heatwave. Near 100 degrees, hazy, and humid. An excessive heat advisory warning has also been issued.

So, Minhee and I needed to run some errands. It waa horrible but sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do. It's also known as adulting.

So, I'm driving and the air conditioning seems to have minimal effect. Minhee is in the passenger's seat and umm, when she's not paying attention, I turn on her seat heater to 5 - the highest level. All along, she's complaining about how hot she is...for nearly an hour...until she finally realizes what I did.

Bam. Boom. Gotcha.

Minhee, I love you!

• RT @mrmedina: When Bryan Stevenson speaks, we do well to listen. https://t.co/o5GJD0KWR2 || 12 hours ago
  • "Mourn with those who mourn." Lifting up the people of Sierra Leone in prayers. Hundreds dead and many more missing… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 14 hours ago
  • Dear Barcelona: We are so sorry. We mourn the violence and tragedy in your beautiful city. We pray for healing and yearn for peace. Amen. || 1 day ago
  • Love wins in the end but meanwhile, it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Seek God's Kingdom. || 2 days ago
  • In response to racism, folks often say, "It's a sin issue." Yes...but don't be naive. Sin creates sinful systems: youtube.com/watch?v=LEbUa0… || 3 days ago
  • Everyone loves the idea of reconciliation...until it involves truthtelling, confessing, repenting, dismantling, forgiving, and peacemaking. || 5 days ago