Folks from both our church community and blogosphere have asked us what we intend to do during our summer sabbatical and how people can be praying. Well, first of all, please pray that I don’t get run over by a car [this is not a joke] as I did during my last sabbatical three years ago. I was attempting to save this woman’s life [who we discovered was later pregnant] and in doing so, I got run over by a car. I am blessed to be alive.
You can read more of that crazy story by clicking the pic of pants [notice the tire treads!] which the fire department ripped open to tend to my leg. In case you were wondering, I was wearing clean underwear that day. Praise the Lord.
- Every three years, I take three months off. It’s great but in actuality, I’m getting stiffed. Typically, senior pastors take a full year off every seven years. Seven years is too long to wait and a year away is too long to be away. So, every six years, I take six months off so I’m actually losing some time. But regardless, the sabbaticals are absolutely important to my rhythm of maintaining vitality in ministry and family.
- My sabbatical begins on Saturday, June 22 and will be returning to the pulpit on Sunday, September 21.
- We are spending two months in Korea and a month here in Seattle. We leave for Korea on Monday, September 23. We are staying with Minhee’s mother for two months. This will be the highlight of our trip.
- After we return to Seattle, I’m hoping to take trips to two of the following three destinations: India, Haiti, or Africa. If airfares are reasonable, hoping that we can take the entire family to Haiti.
- I’m hoping to rest, get some exercise, read some books, eat good Korean food, party with Minhee like it’s 1999, and work on the new humanitarian organization.
HOW YOU CAN PRAY:
- Pray for health and safety in travels especially for our children – and for my left leg.
- While our hope is to rest and rejuvenate, Minhee and I will also be devoting much work to launching the new humanitarian organization this Fall. Please pray for the critical work we need to do this summer.
- For “divine appointments” during our travel to Korea and to the other countries I plan to travel to.
- While we’re away, we’ll be selling our home. We hope to have our home listed by the 2nd week of July and sold by the end of August. Trying not to be anxious but the real estate market isn’t doing too well – even in Seattle. Gulp. We’ll be subletting the current home we’re living in right now so please pray for “good” tenants.
- I’ve got a great group of pastors, leaders, and staff working with me. So continual prayers for the work at Quest Church and Q Cafe.
I hope you’ll journey with us over the summer via this blog.
QUESTION: What are your plans for the summer? Anything special?