our summer plans and prayers

Folks from both our church community and blogosphere have asked us what we intend to do during our summer sabbatical and how people can be praying.  Well, first of all, please pray that I don’t get run over by a car [this is not a joke] as I did during my last sabbatical three years ago.  I was attempting to save this woman’s life [who we discovered was later pregnant] and in doing so, I got run over by a car. I am blessed to be alive.

You can read more of that crazy story by clicking the pic of pants [notice the tire treads!] which the fire department ripped open to tend to my leg. In case you were wondering, I was wearing clean underwear that day.  Praise the Lord.

copy-of-vacation-pictures-2004-023.jpg

SABBATICAL:

1. Every three years, I take three months off.  It’s great but in actuality, I’m getting stiffed.  Typically, senior pastors take a full year off every seven years.  Seven years is too long to wait and a year away is too long to be away.  So, every six years, I take six months off so I’m actually losing some time.  But regardless, the sabbaticals are absolutely important to my rhythm of maintaining vitality in ministry and family.
  2. My sabbatical begins on Saturday, June 22 and will be returning to the pulpit on Sunday, September 21.
  3. We are spending two months in Korea and a month here in Seattle.  We leave for Korea on Monday, September 23.  We are staying with Minhee’s mother for two months.  This will be the highlight of our trip.
  4. After we return to Seattle, I’m hoping to take trips to two of the following three destinations:  India, Haiti, or Africa.  If airfares are reasonable, hoping that we can take the entire family to Haiti.
  5. I’m hoping to rest, get some exercise, read some books, eat good Korean food, party with Minhee like it’s 1999, and work on the new humanitarian organization.

HOW YOU CAN PRAY:

1. Pray for health and safety in travels especially for our children – and for my left leg.
  2. While our hope is to rest and rejuvenate, Minhee and I will also be devoting much work to launching the new humanitarian organization this Fall.  Please pray for the critical work we need to do this summer.
  3. For “divine appointments” during our travel to Korea and to the other countries I plan to travel to.
  4. While we’re away, we’ll be selling our home.  We hope to have our home listed by the 2nd week of July and sold by the end of August.  Trying not to be anxious but the real estate market isn’t doing too well – even in Seattle.  Gulp.  We’ll be subletting the current home we’re living in right now so please pray for “good” tenants.
  5. I’ve got a great group of pastors, leaders, and staff working with me.  So continual prayers for the work at Quest Church and Q Cafe.

I hope you’ll journey with us over the summer via this blog.

QUESTION:  What are your plans for the summer?  Anything special?

Filed under: family, religion

1. drunkdreamer8 says:

ALOHA,

Read your post, and just wanted to invite you over to check out mine. If you ever dreamed before this might intrest you.

C.Apana

2. Matt says:

wait…
    # My sabbatical begins on Saturday, June 22 and will be returning to the pulpit on Sunday, September 21.
    # We are spending two months in Korea and a month here in Seattle. We leave for Korea on Monday, September 23. We are staying with Minhee’s mother for two months. This will be the highlight of our trip.

u sure about those dates? return to pulit on sept 21 and go to korea on a monday, two dates later?

I was just in Cambodia with my seminary cohort, and it was definitely a country in need. If you have any contacts there, I think it would be a great place to visit while you’re in korea. you can spend some time with your fam visiting angkor wat while getting a feel for a country that’s been ravaged by genocide. There’s also a LOT of foreign investors (from korea/japan) that are almost robbing the country, going in and making a quick buck and getting out, while leaving the people there poor and begging.

Anyways, I hope you have a great few months, and are rejuvinated on your return to continue the work you’re doing in Seattle.

3. gar says:

Good luck on your travels, pastor! I’m still working on those music mixes you requested, but I should have them done well before you leave. 😉

4. Beth says:

Blessings on your travels.

Our summer plans are simple. Stay home, save some money, enjoy our family, and build good friendships with our neighbors.

5. Paul says:

i work with the haitian timoun foudnation, a group from colorado and beyod who’s focused on giving children in haiti a shot at life. they sponsor a couple of orphanages, street kid orgs, a hospital, and are working now with a non-profit bank in haiti that is doing micro-credit lending to the poorest of poor. when i travel with them in haiti, we stay at st. joseph’s home for boys in Petionville, a part of port-au-prince. if you’re interested, here’s their website: http://www.hopeinhaiti.org

my summer plans: start a conversation with other 20somethings at my church about creating a ministry they’d want to be a part of and own themselves. fish. stain my fence the approved HOA color.

in my christian-tribe (lutheran-elca), they recommend a 3 month sabbatical once every 5 years. talk about getting jipped!

6. Are you friggen kidding me? You got toppled by a CAR. I love the tread and blood on the ol’ trousers.

I had a similar experience- motorcycle accident a few years back (including a pavement slip n’ slide down an offramp at 40 MPH). I too received the red carpet treatment from the ambulance staff and cops- pants and underwear cut off, whisked to ER. I still have my bloodied underwear. They make for a great souvenir don’t they?

Should we compare skid marks? Uhh…

Thanks for the post. Our prayers will continue and will be focused around your requests.

-ian

7. eugenecho says:

@ian: geez. i’d rather get run over by a honda civic than be in a motorcycle accident.

i wanted to save those pants but before i could think of doing that, the fire department tossed it away. let me just say i was very cold in those underwear.

8. Daniel says:

Sabbaticals are definately a key part to staying in shape as a pastor. But why three months? why not 4.5 months so it will balance out?

My Padawan. My son. My youngest. Encouraging him to not just hit the hoop courts but also the books. Minhee and I met these college boys when we first arrived in Seattle in 1997. They were part of our bible study that we led in our apartment for college students. They were also among the group of 7 people that helped start @seattlequest.

Much has changed in the world...but not their friendship and love. Thank you Jin and George. We love and honor you. These are crazy times in our country and larger world but nevertheless, we're going to keep pursuing the things that God has placed upon our hearts. We're pressing forward...doing our part to reflect mercy, compassion, and justice - locally and globally.

Wednesdays are my @onedayswages office day and I especially love the culmination of hard work for our interns, volunteers, 2 full-time staff, and board as we collaborate with our NGO partners. This week, we signed these checks as we granted out over $75,000 to provide better health care for mothers and their families in Mali and Nepal.

THANK YOU for making this possible Your classic play it cool because you're visiting your old stomping grounds at Princeton and pretend you're not cold but in actuality, you're freezing picture. 20 years, 2 weeks, and counting. What a journey with this woman. I love her...and I want to keep growing in love, honor, and respect. Great to catch up with @jlin7 in Brooklyn at the Nets game. Grateful for his partnership with @onedayswages to support our Girls' Empowerment Fund. The season hasn't been what he hoped for with major injuries...but we can't wait to see you back on the court soon and do what you do. Stay encouraged, brother. Thanks for your faithful witness for Christ.

• Shine a light on the evil of modern slavery. May it also challenge US with where we shop, what we eat, how we embod… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 3 hours ago
  • The best way to become a better storyteller...is to simply live a more honest, deeper, and faithful life. || 1 day ago
  • My Padawan. My son. My youngest. Encouraging him to not just hit the courts but also the books. instagram.com/p/BQ1MClRgHxK/ || 1 day ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 1 day ago
  • The statement,"Theology doesn't matter.I just want to love Jesus!" is in itself a theological statement & proof why theology really matters. || 2 days ago
  • Never forget. 75 years ago today (2/19/42), the USA govt issued Executive Order 9066 to send 120,000 Japanese Ameri… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 4 days ago