our summer plans and prayers

Folks from both our church community and blogosphere have asked us what we intend to do during our summer sabbatical and how people can be praying.  Well, first of all, please pray that I don’t get run over by a car [this is not a joke] as I did during my last sabbatical three years ago.  I was attempting to save this woman’s life [who we discovered was later pregnant] and in doing so, I got run over by a car. I am blessed to be alive.

You can read more of that crazy story by clicking the pic of pants [notice the tire treads!] which the fire department ripped open to tend to my leg. In case you were wondering, I was wearing clean underwear that day.  Praise the Lord.

copy-of-vacation-pictures-2004-023.jpg

SABBATICAL:

1. Every three years, I take three months off.  It’s great but in actuality, I’m getting stiffed.  Typically, senior pastors take a full year off every seven years.  Seven years is too long to wait and a year away is too long to be away.  So, every six years, I take six months off so I’m actually losing some time.  But regardless, the sabbaticals are absolutely important to my rhythm of maintaining vitality in ministry and family.
  2. My sabbatical begins on Saturday, June 22 and will be returning to the pulpit on Sunday, September 21.
  3. We are spending two months in Korea and a month here in Seattle.  We leave for Korea on Monday, September 23.  We are staying with Minhee’s mother for two months.  This will be the highlight of our trip.
  4. After we return to Seattle, I’m hoping to take trips to two of the following three destinations:  India, Haiti, or Africa.  If airfares are reasonable, hoping that we can take the entire family to Haiti.
  5. I’m hoping to rest, get some exercise, read some books, eat good Korean food, party with Minhee like it’s 1999, and work on the new humanitarian organization.

HOW YOU CAN PRAY:

1. Pray for health and safety in travels especially for our children – and for my left leg.
  2. While our hope is to rest and rejuvenate, Minhee and I will also be devoting much work to launching the new humanitarian organization this Fall.  Please pray for the critical work we need to do this summer.
  3. For “divine appointments” during our travel to Korea and to the other countries I plan to travel to.
  4. While we’re away, we’ll be selling our home.  We hope to have our home listed by the 2nd week of July and sold by the end of August.  Trying not to be anxious but the real estate market isn’t doing too well – even in Seattle.  Gulp.  We’ll be subletting the current home we’re living in right now so please pray for “good” tenants.
  5. I’ve got a great group of pastors, leaders, and staff working with me.  So continual prayers for the work at Quest Church and Q Cafe.

I hope you’ll journey with us over the summer via this blog.

QUESTION:  What are your plans for the summer?  Anything special?

Filed under: family, religion

1. drunkdreamer8 says:

ALOHA,

Read your post, and just wanted to invite you over to check out mine. If you ever dreamed before this might intrest you.

C.Apana

2. Matt says:

wait…
    # My sabbatical begins on Saturday, June 22 and will be returning to the pulpit on Sunday, September 21.
    # We are spending two months in Korea and a month here in Seattle. We leave for Korea on Monday, September 23. We are staying with Minhee’s mother for two months. This will be the highlight of our trip.

u sure about those dates? return to pulit on sept 21 and go to korea on a monday, two dates later?

I was just in Cambodia with my seminary cohort, and it was definitely a country in need. If you have any contacts there, I think it would be a great place to visit while you’re in korea. you can spend some time with your fam visiting angkor wat while getting a feel for a country that’s been ravaged by genocide. There’s also a LOT of foreign investors (from korea/japan) that are almost robbing the country, going in and making a quick buck and getting out, while leaving the people there poor and begging.

Anyways, I hope you have a great few months, and are rejuvinated on your return to continue the work you’re doing in Seattle.

3. gar says:

Good luck on your travels, pastor! I’m still working on those music mixes you requested, but I should have them done well before you leave. 😉

4. Beth says:

Blessings on your travels.

Our summer plans are simple. Stay home, save some money, enjoy our family, and build good friendships with our neighbors.

5. Paul says:

i work with the haitian timoun foudnation, a group from colorado and beyod who’s focused on giving children in haiti a shot at life. they sponsor a couple of orphanages, street kid orgs, a hospital, and are working now with a non-profit bank in haiti that is doing micro-credit lending to the poorest of poor. when i travel with them in haiti, we stay at st. joseph’s home for boys in Petionville, a part of port-au-prince. if you’re interested, here’s their website: http://www.hopeinhaiti.org

my summer plans: start a conversation with other 20somethings at my church about creating a ministry they’d want to be a part of and own themselves. fish. stain my fence the approved HOA color.

in my christian-tribe (lutheran-elca), they recommend a 3 month sabbatical once every 5 years. talk about getting jipped!

6. Are you friggen kidding me? You got toppled by a CAR. I love the tread and blood on the ol’ trousers.

I had a similar experience- motorcycle accident a few years back (including a pavement slip n’ slide down an offramp at 40 MPH). I too received the red carpet treatment from the ambulance staff and cops- pants and underwear cut off, whisked to ER. I still have my bloodied underwear. They make for a great souvenir don’t they?

Should we compare skid marks? Uhh…

Thanks for the post. Our prayers will continue and will be focused around your requests.

-ian

7. eugenecho says:

@ian: geez. i’d rather get run over by a honda civic than be in a motorcycle accident.

i wanted to save those pants but before i could think of doing that, the fire department tossed it away. let me just say i was very cold in those underwear.

8. Daniel says:

Sabbaticals are definately a key part to staying in shape as a pastor. But why three months? why not 4.5 months so it will balance out?

These are crazy, turbulent times. Fight the good fight. Run the race set before us.

But we also need you for the long haul. Don't burn out. Discipleship and justice work is a marathon. Learn to take care of yourself. Don't play the victim. It's far too tempting to blame others. Be rooted in prayer, Scripture, and community. It's okay to pause, critical to rest and retreat, and godly to practice Sabbath.

#NoteToSelf Everyone loves the idea of  reconciliation...until it involves truthtelling, confessing, repenting, dismantling, forgiving, and peacemaking. Charlottesville. So heartbreaking and infuriating. We weep and mourn over the hatred in the hearts of these white nationalists. We weep and mourn but we can't be defeated.

As I stare at this photo that's making its round on the internet, I'm reminded of the utter importance of showing up. I'm grateful for the news media, law enforcement, clergy, and peaceful protesters that are currently there to report, protect, pray, and protest.

And this is an invitation to us. May we not be mere bystanders. May we keep pressing forward. Seek justice. Love mercy. Walk humbly. Commit to truth-telling, justice, reconciliation, peacemaking. Follow the ways of Christ. Every day. And it's important to note that we don't have to go to Charlottesville to do this. In fact, it's more important that we do this exactly where we're at. May we live out the call to reconciliation in our churches, workplaces, neighborhoods, schools, and around our dining tables. Lord, may it be so... We don't have to go to Charlottesville to do this. We have to do this wherever were called to be.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” ~ Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. /// Thanks to those who let me know that the photo wasn't actually from today but rather from last month in Charlottesville. - https://www.facebook.com/FrankSomervilleKTVU/posts/1551137301616258:0 Grateful for a spontaneous, last minute trip with Minhee to my old stomping grounds - San Francisco. 48 hours of visiting this special city that I called home for so many years.

Pic 1: Went to the Cliff House restaurant where we got engaged about 21 years ago to make out. Oops, sorry, I meant...to reflect on God's faithfulness over these many years.

Pic 2: Walked across the Golden Gate Bridge because it's such an iconic place - with some of the most incredible views.

Pic 3: Enjoyed a glass of some Cabernet Sauvignon and pretended to be wine connoisseurs at a vineyard.

Pic 4: Had lunch at my favorite Chinese restaurant, Sam Tung, which boasts some of the best chicken in the country. And of course, we ate at In-n-out.

Pic 5: And finally, celebrated with the good folks at @thefreedomstory where @onedayswages received their annual Freedom Award. What an honor.

Grateful. Thankful for this sabbatical. Breathe.

Show yourself some grace.

We can't do everything for everyone in every situation. Do what you can and do it with a joyful heart.

Amen A family that eats sushi together stays together.

Seriously, I don't ever remember eating so much as a teenager but these kids eat and eat and eat. Perhaps, the reason why this kid is pushing 6 feet tall. Grateful for a special treat with the family at @JaponessaSeattle.