i would rather be…

Happy Monday everyone.  But let’s be honest, who likes Mondays?  Let’s start off this week on the blog by doing some daydreaming.

I would rather be…

I would rather be fishing with my father in California right now.  It would have been good to spend Father’s Day with him. The fish above was caught three years ago with my father off Feather River in California.  This 34 pound king salmon took me about 25 minutes to finally bring it home.

Question: What would you rather be doing right now?

Filed under: family

1. Tomas says:

I would rather be in Austria/Switzerland watching the Euro 2008 Futbol matches.

2. jason says:

Rock Climbing somewhere in the Rockies, or catching game 6 of the Finals back in my hometown Boston.

3. becky says:

Riding our motorcycle ….away, for an extended time together.

4. Jan Owen says:

walking along the California coast actually seeing something – but it is totally fogged in here. I can’t see anything. So I’m sitting here reading your blog. 🙂

5. Randall says:

blogging or working on some other kind of writing…seriously.

6. Donna says:

Taking a nap. Been dragging all morning after a busy weekend!

7. Beth says:

Any warm beach would do.

8. Joonmo says:

eating brunch on sunset strip, checking out people as they walk pass by.
    Miss you PE.

9. mihee says:

hiking in colorado or maybe eating lunch somewhere fancy in nyc.

10. Capt Ralph says:

Not to throw cold water on you, PE, but isn’t that an “endangered specie” you are holding there? I can’t really blame you, I ate one yesterday, on Father’s Day. I would rather be holding my grandson, like you are smiling and holding your fish!

11. doing just about anything besides packing.

12. young c-m says:

Visiting New Zealand with Tim and checking out all the sites and sounds of that place!

13. eugenecho says:

i’m on hole 7 right now on the west seattle golf course. let me go on public and say i’d be doing anything else but golfing now. i’m horrible.

14. blake says:

Back on Shell Beach south of Pismo on the California coast. I was there last Thursday and it was incredible.

15. Linda says:

@john chandler: ditto! Something outdoors in this 5th actual nice day in Seattle since I was here in AUGUST (288 cloudy days a year here, I hear…)

We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on. I have to remind myself of this every day...because I can forget every day:

Don't be lazy and make assumptions about people. Ask about their story. Then listen. Be humble. Be teachable. Be human. Be a good neighbor.