i would rather be…

Happy Monday everyone.  But let’s be honest, who likes Mondays?  Let’s start off this week on the blog by doing some daydreaming.

I would rather be…

I would rather be fishing with my father in California right now.  It would have been good to spend Father’s Day with him. The fish above was caught three years ago with my father off Feather River in California.  This 34 pound king salmon took me about 25 minutes to finally bring it home.

Question: What would you rather be doing right now?

Filed under: family

1. Tomas says:

I would rather be in Austria/Switzerland watching the Euro 2008 Futbol matches.

2. jason says:

Rock Climbing somewhere in the Rockies, or catching game 6 of the Finals back in my hometown Boston.

3. becky says:

Riding our motorcycle ….away, for an extended time together.

4. Jan Owen says:

walking along the California coast actually seeing something – but it is totally fogged in here. I can’t see anything. So I’m sitting here reading your blog. 🙂

5. Randall says:

blogging or working on some other kind of writing…seriously.

6. Donna says:

Taking a nap. Been dragging all morning after a busy weekend!

7. Beth says:

Any warm beach would do.

8. Joonmo says:

eating brunch on sunset strip, checking out people as they walk pass by.
    Miss you PE.

9. mihee says:

hiking in colorado or maybe eating lunch somewhere fancy in nyc.

10. Capt Ralph says:

Not to throw cold water on you, PE, but isn’t that an “endangered specie” you are holding there? I can’t really blame you, I ate one yesterday, on Father’s Day. I would rather be holding my grandson, like you are smiling and holding your fish!

11. doing just about anything besides packing.

12. young c-m says:

Visiting New Zealand with Tim and checking out all the sites and sounds of that place!

13. eugenecho says:

i’m on hole 7 right now on the west seattle golf course. let me go on public and say i’d be doing anything else but golfing now. i’m horrible.

14. blake says:

Back on Shell Beach south of Pismo on the California coast. I was there last Thursday and it was incredible.

15. Linda says:

@john chandler: ditto! Something outdoors in this 5th actual nice day in Seattle since I was here in AUGUST (288 cloudy days a year here, I hear…)

In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.
Pray and choose wisely.
Then invest deeply. May our compassion not just be limited to the West or to those that look like us. Lifting up the people of Iraq, Iran, and Kurdistan in prayer after the 7.3 earthquake - including the many new friends I met on a recent trip to Iraq.

The death toll rises to over 400 and over 7,000 injured in multiple cities and hundreds of villages along the Western border with Iraq.

Lord, in your mercy... We are reminded again and again...that we are Resurrection People living in a Dark Friday world.

It's been a tough, emotional, and painful week - especially as we lament the horrible tragedy of the church shootings at Sutherland Springs. In the midst of this lament, I've been carried by the hope, beauty, and promise of our baptisms last Sunday and the raw and honest testimonies of God's mercy, love, and grace.

Indeed, God is not yet done. May we take heart for Christ has overcome the world. "Without genuine relationships with the poor, we rob them of their dignity and they become mere projects. And God did not intend for anyone to become our projects." Grateful this quote from my book, Overrated, is resonating with so many folks - individuals and  NGOs. / design by @preemptivelove .
May we keep working