i would rather be…

Happy Monday everyone.  But let’s be honest, who likes Mondays?  Let’s start off this week on the blog by doing some daydreaming.

I would rather be…

I would rather be fishing with my father in California right now.  It would have been good to spend Father’s Day with him. The fish above was caught three years ago with my father off Feather River in California.  This 34 pound king salmon took me about 25 minutes to finally bring it home.

Question: What would you rather be doing right now?

Filed under: family

1. Tomas says:

I would rather be in Austria/Switzerland watching the Euro 2008 Futbol matches.

2. jason says:

Rock Climbing somewhere in the Rockies, or catching game 6 of the Finals back in my hometown Boston.

3. becky says:

Riding our motorcycle ….away, for an extended time together.

4. Jan Owen says:

walking along the California coast actually seeing something – but it is totally fogged in here. I can’t see anything. So I’m sitting here reading your blog. 🙂

5. Randall says:

blogging or working on some other kind of writing…seriously.

6. Donna says:

Taking a nap. Been dragging all morning after a busy weekend!

7. Beth says:

Any warm beach would do.

8. Joonmo says:

eating brunch on sunset strip, checking out people as they walk pass by.
    Miss you PE.

9. mihee says:

hiking in colorado or maybe eating lunch somewhere fancy in nyc.

10. Capt Ralph says:

Not to throw cold water on you, PE, but isn’t that an “endangered specie” you are holding there? I can’t really blame you, I ate one yesterday, on Father’s Day. I would rather be holding my grandson, like you are smiling and holding your fish!

11. doing just about anything besides packing.

12. young c-m says:

Visiting New Zealand with Tim and checking out all the sites and sounds of that place!

13. eugenecho says:

i’m on hole 7 right now on the west seattle golf course. let me go on public and say i’d be doing anything else but golfing now. i’m horrible.

14. blake says:

Back on Shell Beach south of Pismo on the California coast. I was there last Thursday and it was incredible.

15. Linda says:

@john chandler: ditto! Something outdoors in this 5th actual nice day in Seattle since I was here in AUGUST (288 cloudy days a year here, I hear…)

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 1 day ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 3 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 3 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 3 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 4 days ago
  • This is what we love to do. Empowering local, indigenous leaders to serve their own communities. Thanks for your su… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 5 days ago