an update on global poverty organization

Things are s-l-o-w but moving forward.  After 7 years of Quest and 6 years into Q Cafe and enjoying the fruits of these labor, I confess that I had forgotten how hard it is to start something new.  I had forgotten how incredibly painful and arduous the first years were.  They were really hard.

I just assumed that with my vision and passion, a few letters, some of our connections, write to a few local papers, send out a few emails to friends and supporters and BAM – instant momentum and birth to a world class global grassroots organization that fights global poverty.

Sometimes, I can be so damn stupid & self-reliant.  Forgive me Lord.

Here are some stuff that’s going on and ways you can be praying for our family as we go through this transition:

1. All documents are filed.  Now, we are just waiting word from the IRS regarding our 501(c)3.  We’re hoping that it will be issued to us in about six more weeks.  That’s the earliest we’ll get it.
  2. Fundraising has been really difficult and slow.  Mainly because of #1.  It doesn’t help that we’re going through some painful economic downturn – just like in 2000-2001 when we started Quest.  I tend to have horrible timing.
  3. We’ve selected a real estate agent and hope to have our home listed by the 2nd week of July and sold by the end of August.  Trying not to be anxious but the real estate market isn’t doing too well – even in Seattle.
  4. We’re still trying to find someone to sublet the home we’re currently living in from the end of June to August 18.  Let us know if you know of anyone who’s looking for a furnished home for about 8 weeks.  Usually, we’d just ask couple folks to watch the home for us but we need the funds.
  5. Finally have the guts to sell my mid-life crisis car.  If you know someone who’s looking for a sweet first year 1989 Miata classic convertible, it’s advertised via Craigslist.
  6. We’re still looking for office space for our organization.  Have not been able to hire any staff but I have couple of committed volunteers and they’ll eventually be recruiting the next tier of volunteers soon.  Know of any ideas for office space?  Any cheap or freebies?
  7. Our first meeting to introduce our vision to people who are interested will take place next weekend.  More info to come.
  8. People have many questions and so I’ll attempt to answer some of them in a post next week.
  9. We’re leaving for our sabbatical on June 23 and heading off to Korea.  We were hoping to visit various countries but that’s looking like a no-go.  My trip to Haiti will be postponed to August or September and hoping to do another trip to Africa or India with Minhee.  But at this point, who knows?  Will try to rest a little and work passionately to launch this organization.  Not thinking and worrying about church for 3 months will be refreshing in itself.
  10. We’ll be fine.  But do pray for us and we genuinely ask for help as we get this started.  Soon, we’ll share 3 simple things you can do to help us launch this organization.

One of the most common questions I get is, “Why do you need to start another organization?”

Why?  Because I honestly believe we need to have thousands more – provided they are efficient and have integrity.  Why are people so disturbed about starting new organizations?  The issue of global poverty is so vast, complex, and arduous that many organizations – on many layers, from different angles, and with diverse philosophies need to be involved.

Seven years ago when Minhee and I planted Quest Church, nearly every pastor and leader kept asking the same question, “Why do you need to start a new church?”

Why?  Because Seattle needs hundreds of more churches…

Why are so many so skeptical and cynical?

How will you give?  Who will you give to?  Why do you give?  How do you determine?  What are your criteria?  How do you trust these people?  How can you make an impact?  How do you ensure integrity?  Are you just putting a band aid on?  Why are you doing this?  Yada yada yada.

They are all good questions.  But this is what Minhee and I dream and pray about:

We want to raise funds by creating a global movement of simple generosity.  Raise awareness and connect people to stories around the world.  Raise funds.  Distribute those funds.

We believe that many local indigenous men and women [and ex-pats] are already on the ground doing amazing things to fight global poverty and restore human dignity.  Many of them are orgs and movements you have NEVER heard of.  But nevertheless, they are doing beautiful things. They have history.  They have credibility.  They have respectability.

We want to go to these small organizations all around the world that are working in the areas that UNICEF have long considered key factors in fighting global poverty and we want to ask them a very simple question:

“How can we help you?”

That question is not intended to sound like arrogant Westerners but to simple say: “You are doing great work.  How can we support what you are doing?  How can we help?”

That’s it.

Filed under: family, religion

1. Mike says:

I’ve been thinking similar thoughts for a while now… we’ll be watching with interest from north of the border.

2. Kacie says:

Hey Eugene, I know you follow the news from Burma with interest, and I just found this blog from one of the organizations that was in Burma pre-cyclone.

3. DK says:

Hey. Take heart and be encouraged. Just as God has blessed your passion and labor at Quest, He will bless your passion with this new endeavor.

Fix your eyes on Christ. Make sure that your heart is focused on Him and it’ll all work out.

4. Jason says:

I think behind the question of “why?” that you get is probably equal parts cynicism, skepticism, and just plain “overwhelmed by it all.” In regards to the last one, globalization has caused us to be aware of not only how many problems there are but also how many people want us to join their organization to help them.

On the skeptical note, I think the underlying question, whether it’s a new church or a new non-profit, is “Is this going to just shuffle people/money around or is it going to bring in new people/resources thereby expanding the possibilities?” In other words, does a new church just siphon Christians from an already good church or does it reach a neighborhood or people that weren’t being reached before? I think it’s a legit question which is why it’s probably important to highlight that you do hope to mobilize people to give via your vision of social connection and transparency that weren’t already going to give to some other non-profit.

5. Linda says:

Praise God that He has moved you and Minhee to trudge through the tough stuff to be His hands & feet!

Er… good luck finding affordable airfare when country-hopping in the midst of travel season… I think we can pray for you about that too.

Thank you for the prayers for me, by the way. That was a first for me, but it was truly empowering. It helped me clearly sense (acknowledge) the Holy Spirit

6. eugenecho says:

linda: we’re going to miss you at quest. it was a joy to have you here – even for a short season. i’m so glad we had a chance to pray for you as you trek out to kenya and alaska.

7. Graham says:

Why do we need to have loads of organisations? Because big organisations get fat, loose dynamism and very often become image obsessed. Many of the biggest NGO’s out there have basically become multi-million pound/dollar corporations, and allow people to give their money to “the poor”, i.e. that homogenous, faceless existence.

I’d back what Jason says, by the way. Its easy to pilfer people, but that doesn’t make the situation a whole lot better, unless they really were supporting a dud cause. I like charities which have a localised approach at the Western/Northern end, because you can really challenge everyone in that area to give, and be more intensive in your pursuit of new donors.

"He must become greater; I must become less." - John 3:30 We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on.