seattle pi article: change the world

If you’re interested, I have an article published in the Seattle Post Intelligencer today entitled, “Let’s Do Our Part to Change the World.”  The article was inspired by the tragic death of Maria Sue Chapman – daughter of Steven Curtis Chapman and some deep midlife soul searching my wife and I are going through.

Minhee and I are both pushing 40.  We’re half way through our physical lives and we have so much to be thankful for.  We really do. But lately, we’ve been feeling stagnant and gluttonous.  We’re not wealthy by any means but we are certainly wealthy in comparison to so many around the world but we keep coming up with excuses that stop us from pursuing some convictions we’ve had for couple years. We are blessed and we want to spend the rest of our lives not only living out our faith in Christ but also doing our part to change the world by fighting global poverty.

Would you consider joining us?

I feel very privileged for the diverse opportunities that have come my way and I am still mulling over the invitations from couple publishers to submit book proposals.  I am very excited about writing these books as I finally feel like I have something substantive to share.  It was my hope to spend a portion of my sabbatical on submitting the book proposals but that may need to be pushed back as I need to devote the bulk of my time to 1] quality family time, and 2] launching the humanitarian organization by this upcoming Fall.

At least, I have this blog.

Filed under: family, religion, ,

1. DK says:

Great article Eugene.

2. Tyler says:

i’d look forward to a book by you eugene. glad to hear your priorities are with other things first though as well. i often wonder how some pastors have time to speak at their church, speak at conferences once a month, and write books. it is fresh to hear you wanting to keep some things more important.

3. Danielle says:

Eugene, I find it very encouraging and exciting that you and Minhee are choosing to do this “soul searching.” Our lives are short so we need to live them fully for the glory of Christ.

4. Teresa says:

Cool article. Appreciate what you and Minhee are trying to do. Also curious what the book proposals would be about?

5. A2B says:

It is a wonderful article, and very well articulated. Congratulations on being published. I have loved watching the Chapman family grow, and have admired their amazing courage and goodness. Their tragedy has touched my heart and has inspired me to do a little bit more service, and give a little bit more kindness each day. The power of one is real. The power of all many can be amazing.

6. Kenneth Burchfiel says:

Eugene: do it for all of us who want to be in your shoes, but don’t have the courage to walk.

7. eugenecho says:

@teresa: i’d love to write something about ‘living out faith in our context – local and global’

perhaps something about ‘what is culture and engaging culture.’

and a book called “a dummies guide on being a spiritual dummy.’

8. […] in traffic due to my contributions to Sojourners’ God Politics blog, an article written for the Seattle Post Intelligencer, and blog mentions in the Seattle Times, indirectly in Huffington Post and the Stranger’s […]

Preach the Gospel at all times and sometimes...use signs.

Really loved this sign from one of our church congregants at the women's march.

Counter cultural. Subversive.
Life giving. Good news. To support both the equality of women and the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but I know we're not alone. May we press on. And may we lead with hope.

I'm at the Women's March in Seattle to show my solidarity with my wife, my mothers, my daughters, and the female congregants of my church. I'm also here to model for my son what we believe in our home. Many people have already expressed their disappointment, dismay, and disgust with my decision. Such is life. We will always disappoint someone. And that's also a lot of words that begin with "d." I'm here not because I agree or disagree with every single statement or sign at this march (although I really liked this one) but because as a Christian, I believe in the fundamental truth that women are fearfully and wonderfully made in the image of God. They are to be valued, heard, and respected.

And because I believe we can't be a flourishing society without the flourishing of women. And because the Church cannot be the Church without the gifts and voices of women. All the gifts of women.

And in doing so, may we together honor the sanctity of life - from womb to tomb. Collaboration.

col·lab·o·ra·tion
kəˌlabəˈrāSH(ə)n/
noun

the action of working with someone or a group of others  to produce or create something.

May we hold our logos, egos, and tribalism have their place. May we hold them loosely for they too shall pass. May we collaborate for the sake of the greater Kingdom of God ... which endures forever. As we honor Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., don't forget the God behind the man. The one true God who deposited this dream into MLK is still speaking to us today. Are we listening?

Be courageous. Be brave.

Being invited by the King Family to speak at the MLK worship service at Ebenezer Baptist Church in 2016 remains one of the most unexpected honors of my life. On the right is his daughter, Dr. Bernice King and his sister, Dr. Christine King Farris. Walking throughstreet markets in different parts of the world is the best. Soaking in the culture. Listening to the local language and music. Enjoying the amazing cuisine. Meeting new friends. Praying for the Gospel to penetrate. #ChiangRai Blessed be the local, indigenous leaders for it is they who live in the very communities they seek to love. For it is they who understand their context and culture...better than a Westerner ever will. For it is they who will continue to tenaciously pursue a better world with hope, justice and love when visitors like me leave.

Yes, blessed be the local, indigenous leaders.

• Preach the Gospel at all times and sometimes...use signs. Countercultural. Subversive. Life giving. Truth. - instagram.com/p/BPlwJneBSiW/ || 4 hours ago
  • Really loved this sign from the women's march from one of our church congregants. Counter cultural. Subversive. L… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 1 day ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn can be lonely but we're not alone. Lead with hope: instagram.com/p/BPjMGTOhMjL/ || 1 day ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but we're not alone. May we press on. || 1 day ago
  • Going to the Women's March in Seattle bc as a Christian, I believe women are fearfully and wonderfully made and are to be heard & respected. || 1 day ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 1 day ago