seattle pi article: change the world

If you’re interested, I have an article published in the Seattle Post Intelligencer today entitled, “Let’s Do Our Part to Change the World.”  The article was inspired by the tragic death of Maria Sue Chapman – daughter of Steven Curtis Chapman and some deep midlife soul searching my wife and I are going through.

Minhee and I are both pushing 40.  We’re half way through our physical lives and we have so much to be thankful for.  We really do. But lately, we’ve been feeling stagnant and gluttonous.  We’re not wealthy by any means but we are certainly wealthy in comparison to so many around the world but we keep coming up with excuses that stop us from pursuing some convictions we’ve had for couple years. We are blessed and we want to spend the rest of our lives not only living out our faith in Christ but also doing our part to change the world by fighting global poverty.

Would you consider joining us?

I feel very privileged for the diverse opportunities that have come my way and I am still mulling over the invitations from couple publishers to submit book proposals.  I am very excited about writing these books as I finally feel like I have something substantive to share.  It was my hope to spend a portion of my sabbatical on submitting the book proposals but that may need to be pushed back as I need to devote the bulk of my time to 1] quality family time, and 2] launching the humanitarian organization by this upcoming Fall.

At least, I have this blog.

Filed under: family, religion, ,

1. DK says:

Great article Eugene.

2. Tyler says:

i’d look forward to a book by you eugene. glad to hear your priorities are with other things first though as well. i often wonder how some pastors have time to speak at their church, speak at conferences once a month, and write books. it is fresh to hear you wanting to keep some things more important.

3. Danielle says:

Eugene, I find it very encouraging and exciting that you and Minhee are choosing to do this “soul searching.” Our lives are short so we need to live them fully for the glory of Christ.

4. Teresa says:

Cool article. Appreciate what you and Minhee are trying to do. Also curious what the book proposals would be about?

5. A2B says:

It is a wonderful article, and very well articulated. Congratulations on being published. I have loved watching the Chapman family grow, and have admired their amazing courage and goodness. Their tragedy has touched my heart and has inspired me to do a little bit more service, and give a little bit more kindness each day. The power of one is real. The power of all many can be amazing.

6. Kenneth Burchfiel says:

Eugene: do it for all of us who want to be in your shoes, but don’t have the courage to walk.

7. eugenecho says:

@teresa: i’d love to write something about ‘living out faith in our context – local and global’

perhaps something about ‘what is culture and engaging culture.’

and a book called “a dummies guide on being a spiritual dummy.’

8. […] in traffic due to my contributions to Sojourners’ God Politics blog, an article written for the Seattle Post Intelligencer, and blog mentions in the Seattle Times, indirectly in Huffington Post and the Stranger’s […]

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• "They got money for wars but can't feed the poor." ~ Tupac #trumpbudget || 18 hours ago
  • Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 2 days ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 4 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 4 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 4 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 5 days ago