seattle pi article: change the world

If you’re interested, I have an article published in the Seattle Post Intelligencer today entitled, “Let’s Do Our Part to Change the World.”  The article was inspired by the tragic death of Maria Sue Chapman – daughter of Steven Curtis Chapman and some deep midlife soul searching my wife and I are going through.

Minhee and I are both pushing 40.  We’re half way through our physical lives and we have so much to be thankful for.  We really do. But lately, we’ve been feeling stagnant and gluttonous.  We’re not wealthy by any means but we are certainly wealthy in comparison to so many around the world but we keep coming up with excuses that stop us from pursuing some convictions we’ve had for couple years. We are blessed and we want to spend the rest of our lives not only living out our faith in Christ but also doing our part to change the world by fighting global poverty.

Would you consider joining us?

I feel very privileged for the diverse opportunities that have come my way and I am still mulling over the invitations from couple publishers to submit book proposals.  I am very excited about writing these books as I finally feel like I have something substantive to share.  It was my hope to spend a portion of my sabbatical on submitting the book proposals but that may need to be pushed back as I need to devote the bulk of my time to 1] quality family time, and 2] launching the humanitarian organization by this upcoming Fall.

At least, I have this blog.

Filed under: family, religion, ,

1. DK says:

Great article Eugene.

2. Tyler says:

i’d look forward to a book by you eugene. glad to hear your priorities are with other things first though as well. i often wonder how some pastors have time to speak at their church, speak at conferences once a month, and write books. it is fresh to hear you wanting to keep some things more important.

3. Danielle says:

Eugene, I find it very encouraging and exciting that you and Minhee are choosing to do this “soul searching.” Our lives are short so we need to live them fully for the glory of Christ.

4. Teresa says:

Cool article. Appreciate what you and Minhee are trying to do. Also curious what the book proposals would be about?

5. A2B says:

It is a wonderful article, and very well articulated. Congratulations on being published. I have loved watching the Chapman family grow, and have admired their amazing courage and goodness. Their tragedy has touched my heart and has inspired me to do a little bit more service, and give a little bit more kindness each day. The power of one is real. The power of all many can be amazing.

6. Kenneth Burchfiel says:

Eugene: do it for all of us who want to be in your shoes, but don’t have the courage to walk.

7. eugenecho says:

@teresa: i’d love to write something about ‘living out faith in our context – local and global’

perhaps something about ‘what is culture and engaging culture.’

and a book called “a dummies guide on being a spiritual dummy.’

8. […] in traffic due to my contributions to Sojourners’ God Politics blog, an article written for the Seattle Post Intelligencer, and blog mentions in the Seattle Times, indirectly in Huffington Post and the Stranger’s […]

Nothing grows by itself. If something matters to us, may we be intentional about growing it.

Invest. Pray. Plant. Water. Nurture. Repeat. God sees and knows us. In fact, God knows everything about us.

Not just the good we try so hard to project but even the mess we often seek to hide.

Let this soak in: Not only are we fully known but in Christ, we are fully pursued and loved.

This is grace.
Amazing grace. Hairstyles change. Sideburn fads come and go but may our commitment to love, honor, respect, and be on mission together for Christ never waver.

Thank you, Minhee. I love you so much even if you made fun of my hairstyle and sideburns. I missed you, Seattle. Grateful for a time to pray, rest, retreat, read, reflect, and sabbath. I've spent the last 12 days in the woods alone. Competely alone. It's been both haunting and refreshing. Haunting because of loneliness. Refreshing because through the silence, I am reminded - again - that I'm not alone. Emmanuel.

Also, bought myself a cheap kayak and loving the solitude time in nature. Also, the kayak is paying instant dividends in my bass fishing game. #sabbathrest #bassfishing #catchandrelease There's nothing selfish about rest and self-care. We can't give what we don't have. Experience life and we'll be life-giving to others. Amen.

#NoteToSelf